• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

I bit the bullet and decided to get Dead Island PC, this game hasn't been on my radar but for some reason I'm sort of getting hyped for it :)

I know the Fallout 3 comparisons have been made but is anyone else getting a Farcry 2 vibe from Dead Island (I mean that in a good way)?

Arkaerial

Unconfirmed Member
Max said:
joined up

ibebmlzWlxgoYj.png

Another one to join.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Sutton Dagger said:
I know the Fallout 3 comparisons have been made but is anyone else getting a Farcry 2 vibe from Dead Island (I mean that in a good way)?

That's what sort of concerns me. :(

Chiggs said:
That's what sort of concerns me. :(

But without the ridiculous checkpoints, FarCry 2 would have been a much better received game. I mean the complete openness and beautiful scenery in particular with reference to FarCry 2.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Sutton Dagger said:
But without the ridiculous checkpoints, FarCry 2 would have been a much better received game. I mean the complete openness and beautiful scenery in particular with reference to FarCry 2.

Far Cry 2 had it all...a beautiful, sprawling gameworld, great weapons, a somewhat interesting setup...but they forgot to add the fun.

And was the inclusion of malaria really necessary?

Teknoman

Marty Chinn said:
I won't be playing it with anyone most likely so I'm going in for a solo experience. I had a kid recently so it's tough for me to coordinate playing with other people at the moment. I was leaning toward PC for the sake of mouse and keyboard controls, but didn't want to go that route if there was a significant performance hit since both of my computers are on the older end. Achievements are ok in my book but I'd never choose a game based on it.

Dont forget that the way its made, you can jump in with any player that is near your area/level range. So no need for coordination if you just want some quick co-op fun.

NBtoaster

The M.O.B said:
I think he is saying the punishment for dying is not enough.

Yeah. It's an obvious sign the game has been focused around co-op, and I don't really do co-op. Like Borderlands.

sadromeo

You can put points in a skill that reduces the amount of money loss per death.

Well, at least for Xian Mei you can. I haven't tried the other 3 yet.

Analog control is a bit more right stick heavy than digital control. You can choose at any time which to use.

Analog control makes it that the right analog stick becomes your "swing". You push right to left, you swing right to left. You push down then up, then you perform an upward swing. If you have no weapon and fighting with hands, you would perform an uppercut.

M.W.

Teamxbox Review - 9/10

Some of you might play the game and wonder why I gave it a 9/10. You might look at the faults that I’ve outlined and declare “that list is worth more than a one point deduction!” However, look at it like this. I don’t believe in a system where you have to deduct certain percentages of points per hang-up or fault you find in a game. For me it’s the overall experience while playing through that determines the final score. Yes, there were faults that I discovered throughout my experience with the game. However, every game has faults, and I viewed this through the lens of a gamer. Did I enjoy this game? Absolutely. Did it scare the crap out of me at times? 100%. Was there a real feeling of survival horror (as opposed to just jumping-scares) that has been sadly lacking from other contemporary zombie games? You bet. So looking at the total package that was brought to the table here, this game is too fun to play and too unique an experience to be really nit-picky on the things that didn’t go exactly as I’d rather them go. As I write these final thoughts, there is only one review out there on the web, and if the rest of the press agrees with that reviewer’s thoughts, my review will likely be one of the higher-scoring ones out there. That’s fine though; I truly stand behind this score. Hopefully you will pick this game up and experience one of the most engaging experiences I’ve had with my 360 in quite some time. This is a game that needs to be in a gamer’s collection, so try to make it happen if you can, guys.

Teknoman

sadromeo said:
You can put points in a skill that reduces the amount of money loss per death.

Well, at least for Xian Mei you can. I haven't tried the other 3 yet.

Analog control is a bit more right stick heavy than digital control. You can choose at any time which to use.

Analog control makes it that the right analog stick becomes your "swing". You push right to left, you swing right to left. You push down then up, then you perform an upward swing. If you have no weapon and fighting with hands, you would perform an uppercut.

That sounds kinda cool...alot more involved than just hammering on attack.

EDIT:

Was there a real feeling of survival horror (as opposed to just jumping-scares) that has been sadly lacking from other contemporary zombie games? You bet.

Oh man, this sounds like the zombie game of the generation if true. Also man am I glad that the game has a fitting soundtrack (I like Left 4 Dead as much as the next guy, but the soundtrack was kinda lacking aside from the main theme). True survival horror in co-op...really hoping the PC version isnt that glitchy at launch.

Teknoman said:
Was there a real feeling of survival horror (as opposed to just jumping-scares) that has been sadly lacking from other contemporary zombie games? You bet.

Oh man, this sounds like the zombie game of the generation if true. Also man am I glad that the game has a fitting soundtrack (I like Left 4 Dead as much as the next guy, but the soundtrack was kinda lacking aside from the main theme).

Okay now I'm really getting pumped, that is the one thing that has been lacking in other Zombie games in my opinion, the atmosphere typically associated with survival horror. Can't wait.

Karak

Holy Christ. This game came out of nowhere for me. Just spent the last 6 hours at the best friends playing the 360 version. Untold amounts of fun to be had. Something about it clicks, I don't know if its because the island is inhabited, or the NPC' themselves, but it felt alive. Like you were striving for something, searching for a way to get from place to place.

The fights were done perfect, the graphics are amazing, and the control was spot on.

robot

Picked up the 360 version w a friend, having a blast so far. Played 2 player co-op for a few hours, did 4 story missions and 9 sub quests. A few random thoughts:

- Very similar to Borderlands - mission structure, Drop in/out co-op, color coded weapons, skill tree, open world, amount of weapons/loot, being able to buy back things you just sold to traders, warping, the list goes on.

- The melee combat is a nice change of pace compared to the hundreds of FPS games out there, hoping for more combos or weapon types later on.

- Zombies are a mix of slow and dumb to super fast and scary. Lots of tension when sneaking around in bungalows looking for items. When 6 or more zombies come at you it gets really intense.

- I noticed you can't see your friends flashlight in co-op, really weird thing to leave out.

- Weapons seem to break too quickly right now and weapon management outside of what you can hold in your "wheel" is very cumbersome.

Overall I wasn't expecting the game to be as much as fun as it has been.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
awwww they changed the release day it was sep 5th now its sep 6th lol but it still says
Available: September 5th, 2011
This game will unlock in approximately 23 hours

GG steam

Sethos

Banned
Rygar 8 Bit said:
awwww they changed the release day it was sep 5th now its sep 6th lol but it still says

GG steam

I feel for you bro ... Wanna trade?

fZjwW.png

Rygar 8 Bit said:

GG steam
? it unlocks on the 5th still. 23 hours from now is 11pm Central here.

supersaw

Yeah I think even if it's not really that captivating single player it will be buckets of fun running around caving in zombie skulls with 3 other people.

supersaw said:
Yeah I think even if it's not really that captivating single player it will be buckets of fun running around caving in zombie skulls with 3 other people.

Indeed. I'm still a little apprehensive about the my pre-order but co-op with friends can make anything better, and it can elevate an average game to a great experience.

sadromeo

You know, there's nothing like softening up a "thug" zombie and beheading them at the last moment. It even goes in slo-mo. Nice.

-BLITZ-

"The humans who were turned into this zombie type are still in control of their brains, and have a knowledge of what is going on - they just don’t have control over what their body is doing"

Broke my heart in two T_T. I feel so bad now, is just like I don't want to hit them with the bat anymore.

"Let’s talk about a few negatives and nit-picky things ..."

Well you know man, that's not a PC after all. I hope PC will not get these things.

Finished reading.

A trusted review I can say.

I'm playing it by myself (XBL gold just expired) but I'm loving the atmosphere of the island.

Random thoughts..
I love that you get vehicles in this game, I wasn't really expecting that.

So far my fave weapon is the baseball bat.

The melee combat is really visceral, you really feel the "crunch" of every hit

love the risk/reward in just outright exploring, you never know when you're going to happen on a group of fast zombies. Or even worse, you see one zombie and decide to stomp his face in but you're suddenly swarmed.

Got one question:
Every once and a while you come upon a radio and someone asking for help.
The first was somebody saying they were trapped in a life guard station, the other was guy telling me to go to bungalow 20.

now I assume
the lifeguard station is the same place you take all the survivors to during the second main quest.
but i cant for the life of me find bungalow 20. Anybody got any idea where that is? or are all of those radio quests just atmosphere and you can't really do em?

I like zombies. I like zombie games. But, Ill wait on GAF impressions and/or price drop before picking this up. Coop is the only thing that might make this fun.

Top Bottom