• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

Enco

I think I'll give this a miss until I get confirmation that all this crap is sorted.

Inexcusable how this could have happened.

Wouldn't be surprised if the game bombs and the devs get dangerously close to closing down.

I played this for about 30ish minutes last night (360) and I was honestly enjoying it. The graphics are pretty decent and the actual game was fun. I am a whore for any type of exploration/loot type of game and this is right up my alley. I haven't seen the supposed item respawn yet, but weapons are quite plentiful so that isn't really a problem anyway.

I actually can't wait to play it more tonight and really explore the game and the environment.

Enco

Interfectum said:
And piracy gets the blame.
We'll see soon enough :lol

robot said:
Can anyone fill me in on what happened - instead of running through a dozen pages of posts?
Devs supposedly released a dev build for the pc version. There were features such as no clipping included (like a fly mode). Tons of bugs and issues with all platforms, shitty voice acting and generally an unpolished game.

Supposedly there will be a fix released soon (a patch has already been sent out).

robot

codhand said:
the contender for best bad game of the year was just released

I'm guessing problems with the PC version? Been playing the 360 version all weekend and it's been awesome.

Twinduct

robot said:
Can anyone fill me in on what happened - instead of running through a dozen pages of posts?

Techland did not release the correct/ latest patched built to the NA territory, which meant alot of bugs, which meant alot of extreme level analogies!

robot

Twinduct said:
Techland did not release the correct/ latest patched built to the NA territory, which meant alot of bugs, which meant alot of extreme level analogies!

Oh wow thats pretty bad.

Enco said:
We'll see soon enough :lol

Devs supposedly released a dev build for the pc version. There were features such as no clipping included (like a fly mode). Tons of bugs and issues with all platforms, shitty voice acting and generally an unpolished game.

Supposedly there will be a fix released soon (a patch has already been sent out).

Will the patch make the voice actors better?

got vsync on. but i checked the commands but there's nothing about FOV. wtf that's terrible. it's so compact lol. need to see the whole paddle bro.

DryvBy

I don't expect too much from this game other than fun. That's all I want. This will tide me over until Skyrim. I just wanted some goofy fun.

nero2082

CaptainAhab said:
When you die you respawn without losing any progress, save a little money, which respawns in bags that are placed about every 10 feet.

I think he meant this part

Items respawn after a short window of time, lending infinite resources to a narrative that trades on desperate struggle. On a micro level, it leads to the absurd. Characters cry about dehydration as energy drinks lie at their feet, while tricky supply runs sit at odds with the infinite quantity of canned food in the room next door.

hopefully it's a bug not a design decision

Stitch

Gold Member
ok, the asian woman can't use a baseballbat... lol

edit: no she can. the menu is just a bit confusing.

ironcreed

Banned
I am always on the hunt for flawed gems and this seems like a shining example of just that. I just have a thing for lower budget, flawed games that make up for their lack of technical prowess by nailing the fun factor. For what it is, this is an ambitious game with some great ideas and provides a lot of bang for your buck. I have seen more than enough to know that I will have a blast with it... warts and all. Can't wait until my copy arrives.

Hearing the US Steam version is not the complete version makes sense considering how shitty it runs. For the most part I'm enjoying it, but there's a lot of technical issues that are hindering the experience. Some weird design calls to like CHECKPOINT saving in a fucking open world? That one is really irritating.

So I hope the proper release helps the tech issues, that will help for sure. Anyone notice the shadow animation when running? Janky as hell, but hilarious!

I just realized pressing Y = Fly Mode. Fast travel!

Concept17

The game seems to save automatically after so many minutes as well. Mine was saving more than often enough.

It could be worse... we could have to find a restroom to save instead.

kaskade

Is all this negative stuff about the PC version? I was going to get the 360 one. Maybe I'll just hold out, I have a feeling there will be some quick price drops.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
So what I've gathered, console versions good, PC version sucks because they accidentally released an incomplete build, right? So if I'm on the console version, no worries?

truly101 said:
So what I've gathered, console versions good, PC version sucks because they accidentally released an incomplete build, right? So if I'm on the console version, no worries?
360 > ps3 > pc.

at least from what i've gathered from this thread.

but i'm on pc. it's not that bad if you're using controller.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
truly101 said:

Yes. Console versions are fine. Steam version = debug/dev build (or whatever) that is being fixed sometime today.

Concept17

truly101 said:

Pretty much. The game is pretty great so far too, despite the wrong build. There are a handful of issues, but nothing game breaking. That 3/10 review is hilarious.

Concept17

DMPrince said:
360 > ps3 > pc.

at least from what i've gathered from this thread.

but i'm on pc. it's not that bad if you're using controller.

I don't get this. M&KB in first person is highly preferable to analogs any day of the week. Controls feel great to me so far.

Also: the bone breaking system in the game is absolutely awesome. I love trying to break both arms on those bigger guys. The combat in general is just awesome. Best melee system I've ever played. The game seems to put a large focus on making you create, repair, and upgrade weapons. Hence the large amount of supplies to be found. Its not so much about finding weapons as it is creating them and such.

Stitch

Gold Member
Concept17 said:
I don't get this. M&KB in first person is highly preferable to analogs any day of the week. Controls feel great to me so far.
yes, being able to actually hit where you want to is nice. breaking arms is fun :D

D6AMIA6N

I want to play this game after reading some impressions (360/PS3). However, I think $60 is too much. It'll probably be $30 in a week or two due to all the negativity the PC version has received.

EDIT: Game looks and sounds awesome, hopefully I can find a deal on it soon. Post more pics!

Top Bottom