• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

legbone

1sorry once again to the pc guys but i am loving this game. it looks a little rough in places but the lighting is impressive at times. and the zombies are fucking brutal. this is the first game i have actually felt fear in since i don't know when. exploring around looting shit with this uneasy feeling of dread is great. then you hear the growls and shit is on. these fucking zeds don't play. the music is outstanding also. i am really enjoying this game. so much fun. too bad it will be remembered as that zombie game that was broken when released. it's unfortunate since this is the best zombie game i have played ever. EVER! 360 version by the way.

Artadius

Was there a patch overnight?

Game is running worse for me this morning. I get complete pauses in gameplay every few minutes or so and then finally crashed after about half an hour. Played a few hours last night without this happening at all.

I commented on the PS3 version, but it got ignored through all of the PC blowup.

PS3 version has been surprisingly good. Haven't had a single issue with frame rates or screen tearing. Haven't experienced a single bug. Game is a blast. If PS3 is your only option, I think it's pretty damn good. There's something about the graphics that seems a bit sub-HD, but these are pretty big environments, and maybe that has something to do with it...?

At any rate, it's a blast. This is Dead Rising meets Fallout 3 meets Borderlands. And when those fast zombies come at you, it does get a bit tense.

SalomonA

Was thinkin of preordering this today/tomorrow (I'm from Europe) for PC and trade in my copy of Monster Hunter Tri along with the Classic Controller Pro @ Gamespot to get the special edition but now im not that sure when im hearing it's the dev build, buggy as hell and so on. Sure would want some impressions when the _actual_ game gets released!

Gritesh

There must have been some changes over night. Last night I played for two hours without any issues. This morning the game is sputtering so badly that its unplayable.

Artadius said:

Game is running worse for me this morning. I get complete pauses in gameplay every few minutes or so and then finally crashed after about half an hour. Played a few hours last night without this happening at all.

Same exact situation!

ironcreed

Banned
DidntKnowJack said:
I commented on the PS3 version, but it got ignored through all of the PC blowup.

PS3 version has been surprisingly good. Haven't had a single issue with frame rates or screen tearing. Haven't experienced a single bug. Game is a blast. If PS3 is your only option, I think it's pretty damn good. There's something about the graphics that seems a bit sub-HD, but these are pretty big environments, and maybe that has something to do with it...?

At any rate, it's a blast. This is Dead Rising meets Fallout 3 meets Borderlands. When those fast zombies come at you, it does get a bit tense.

I could have went with the 360 version, but ordered the PS3 version instead. Mainly because I just prefer the DS3. Good to hear that you are having no issues. From the footage I have watched, it looks fine to me. Screen tearing, pop-in or a few frame dips never killed a game for me if it was fun. Mass Effect, I am looking at you.

legbone

good to hear that the ps3 version is in good shape. 360 version looks rough in places like i said, but there are times when it is beautiful. the view of the bay and the lighting is just jawdropping at times. it really is unfortunate that the pc version is such shit. hopefully they fix it quick. i thought there was supposed to be a patch on day one but i didn't get one. maybe it was pc only. did the ps3 version get one?

Concept17

Gritesh said:
There must have been some changes over night. Last night I played for two hours without any issues. This morning the game is sputtering so badly that its unplayable.
Good thing I'm waiting till all my friends are online to play again. (tonight) The last thing I want is stuttering in another game.

Hopefully this is patched at a reasonable time today.

Zimbardo

Artadius said:

same deal here.

seemed fine last night ...now this morning, its a stuttering mess.

sleepykyo

The perfect Dark said:
WOW Ps3 version runs like sh*t

Where's the release patch?

game is awesome btw.

DidntKnowJack said:

Pretty large difference in opinion. Either of you feel like elaborating on it?

DryvBy

DidntKnowJack said:

At any rate, it's a blast. This is Dead Rising meets Fallout 3 meets Borderlands. And when those fast zombies come at you, it does get a bit tense.

That's good to hear. What's your PSN and maybe we can game this week?

DidntKnowJack said:

Really? I play the Ps3-Version, too. And the framerate is awful. Driving, running or lots of zombies make the game stutter like hell ....it even stops for a second sometimes.

Are you connected to PSN? (Because i am) Maybe that's the reason....

legbone said:
1sorry once again to the pc guys but i am loving this game. it looks a little rough in places but the lighting is impressive at times. and the zombies are fucking brutal. this is the first game i have actually felt fear in since i don't know when. exploring around looting shit with this uneasy feeling of dread is great. then you hear the growls and shit is on. these fucking zeds don't play. the music is outstanding also. i am really enjoying this game. so much fun. too bad it will be remembered as that zombie game that was broken when released. it's unfortunate since this is the best zombie game i have played ever. EVER! 360 version by the way.
Out of curiosity, playing co-op or SP?

Max

I am not Max
“the final version will be out during the day”

this is all so funny to me, way to drop the ball

The perfect Dark said:
Really? I play the Ps3-Version, too. And the framerate is awful. Driving, running or lots of zombies make the game stutter like hell ....it even stops for a second sometimes.

Are you connected to PSN? (Because i am) Maybe that's the reason....
Like I said in my earlier post, maybe I'm just not as sensitive to frame rate issues. I'm not going to deny they exist, I just haven't noticed them. The overall frame rate doesn't seem very high, but they were consistent for me.

Or maybe my expectations were low because I had heard about these issues along with the V-sync, but when I played I was surprised how good it all seemed. And yes, I'm connected to PSN.

Also, no, there hasn't been a patch for the console versions. Well, not the PS3 anyway.

I m having fun and have only run into a couple minor graphical / UI issues.

Other than that I am having an awesome time with my PC copy. Drop in drop out coop makes it fun too.

NEO0MJ

While I currentlly have no plans to buy this game yet(too big a backlog) I just had to do this. Powerslide zombie is just hilarious. Hope no one beat me to it.

deadisland.png

DidntKnowJack said:
Like I said in my earlier post, maybe I'm just not as sensitive to frame rate issues. I'm not going to deny they exist, I just haven't noticed them. The overall frame rate doesn't seem very high, but they were consistent for me.

Or maybe my expectations were low because I had heard about these issues along with the V-sync, but when I played I was surprised how good it all seemed. And yes, I'm connected to PSN.

Also, no, there hasn't been a patch for the console versions. Well, not the PS3 anyway.

Well I know what you mean but...this isn't something you can overlook.

I loaded a save one minute ago and:

Go through door
Game STOPS for one second
Go further

Texture load
Make a 180 degrees turn

+ sound bugs

I have the feeling it gets worse and worse...(maybe it has something to do with the loading textures?!)

BTW: It's only that bad after loading

Teknoman

Try defragging your steam installation of the game, see if that helps.

Either way, what issues are people having with the PC controls? They work just fine, aside from those extra enabled commands.

EDIT: Downloading some 76 MB patch now.

Weenerz

Banned
They are re-releasing the game? Will we have to download the entire thing again?

Teknoman said:
Try defragging your steam installation of the game, see if that helps.

Either way, what issues are people having with the PC controls? They work just fine, aside from those extra enabled commands.

Only issue I've had with the PC controls is it feels like I am on ice sometimes, delayed stop and stuff like that. The game feels very solid imo, invite people to your game from Steam overlay is nice. I even enjoyed the noclip, since if someone got left behind (Y0tta!) then they could noclip back to the group.

KageMaru

Shame about the PC version, haven't experienced any issues other than clipping on the 360 version.

This patch that is being discussed, is this just for the PC version or also the console versions?

Hey guys I'm hitting Y but I can't fly away!! Xbox 360 version here! Help?

Fucking OTs with this PC performance talk every god damn Tuesday a game comes out

ironcreed

Banned
Even big budget games like Mass Effect released with insane pop-in and frame hiccups out the ass. Did not stop me from loving that game to pieces every time I played it, because it was fun. Not trying to put Dead Island on the same pedestal as Mass Effect, as it is clearly not budget-wise. I am just saying that as long as it delivers the fun factor and the tech issues don't break the game, then it's all gravy for me. Also, at least they are trying to stay on top of what issues are there.

Teknoman

Weenerz said:
They are re-releasing the game? Will we have to download the entire thing again?

Only issue I've had with the PC controls is it feels like I am on ice sometimes, delayed stop and stuff like that. The game feels very solid imo, invite people to your game from Steam overlay is nice. I even enjoyed the noclip, since if someone got left behind (Y0tta!) then they could noclip back to the group.

Yeah, I think some of the complaints are really overblown, or people are just really getting out of hand using the word shitty to describe something (the word should only be reserved for something that is of the lowest quality possible).

Its kinda cool how you can hear an NPC talking to another player if they activated/are turning in a quest.

ProtoCents said:

Fucking OTs with this PC performance talk every god damn Tuesday a game comes out

To be fair, where else would people who jumped on the PC version of a multiplatform release talk about it?

Baha

PC patch seems to have removed the press Y to fly option and the ripper DLC from GMG copies of the game. The steam overlay bug is still there though =\

Teknoman

Baha said:
PC patch seems to have removed the press Y to fly option and the ripper DLC from GMG copies of the game. The steam overlay bug is still there though =\

Is that the bug where sometimes you'll see a normal mouse arrow and the in game arrow at the same time?

Enco

ProtoCents said:

PC master race bitch!

You don't get exclusive flight!

Stitch

Gold Member
lol the new patch seems to kill all savegames.

edit: yes, killed my savegame. fuck this!

panda21 said:
can someone with the PC steam version check to see if the pdb files are still there since the latest patch?

nope, they're gone

Anyone getting a white screen of death?

Game has no lag... I have an i52500k GTX570SC and like 8GB of ram... But I get these random crashes.... white screen of death. I actually have to shut off my machine....

I get some crashes in deus ex also, but the program closes itself...

When my machine comes back on it says BlueScreen error... though it was white

ALSO I MIGHT ADD... I WAS JUST USING NOCLIP! I didnt notice Steam update at all...

NOW IM STUCK SOMEWHERE SUPER FAR AWAY!!!!!!!! UGHHHH

Yamibito said:
The negativity in this thread is overwhelming, the game is really damn good it's just a shame the launch was fucked up.
It's definitely a shame there's been so many technical issues and that's over shadowed how freaking fun this game is. But I don't begrudge anyone's right to complain about this stuff, I'd be pissed off too.

Top Bottom