• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

Derrick01

Banned
Well the game doesn't run as shitty as before now but it's still kind of bad and now in that first shack the lights go nuts on me, like flickering but it wasn't doing that last night.

Plus for some really strange reason, everytime I quit the game my internet doesn't work for about 5 minutes. This is one mess of a game.

Concept17

Revolutionary said:
Just posted on FB page:

So it's true that the patch we got earlier is just a hotfix.

This is great news. Nice to get some quick communication from them. Hopefully this is fixed by tonight.

In addition, someone posted this on the Steam forums: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2102313

Speculation, but it sounds about right. Would explain many of the issues so far - even things like no option to turn voice on and off.

In all seriousness, a release like this should not have been released and there should be safeguards within the company to make sure it doesn't happen.

But it did happen, they have acknowledged the problem and sincerely apologized. They are gonna fix it, and soon. Cut them some slack guys, everyone fucks up now and then.

Kade

I have a PC retail copy and the same version that was on Steam is on the DVD. So I'm assuming they put the dev build on all retail copy DVDs as well.

Akkad

Banned
So I can't get in the elevator in the beginning of the game, what a joke. I think I'm gonna delete the entire game and then redownload the correct version.

wwm0nkey

12 or so hours into this game and mad does it have some amazing scenery.

Also got a random Max Payne vibe in a few of the later missions :lol

Great game so far and loving the drop-in drop out co-op system.

Akkad said:
So I can't get in the elevator in the beginning of the game, what a joke. I think I'm gonna delete the entire game and then redownload the correct version.
That's not going to do anything.

Just reload the save and try again. That happened to me as well after the patch, and the elevator hatch worked the second time.

Edit: V Or that

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Akkad said:
You have to trigger the elevator by backtracking using the map to a locked door. Confused me as well.

Does anyone know how to make the game run in full screen but maintain the screen aspect ratio? I'm trying to play at 1280 x 720 since 1280 x 800 starts to drop the performance. However, when I do, it's a bit stretched. Any way to fix this?

Flunkie

Banned
wwm0nkey said:
12 or so hours into this game and mad does it have some amazing scenery.

Also got a random Max Payne vibe in a few of the later missions :lol

Great game so far and loving the drop-in drop out co-op system.
Don't patch it! Unless you mean you're playing on PS3/360.

dygiT said:
I have a PC retail copy and the same version that was on Steam is on the DVD. So I'm assuming they put the dev build on all retail copy DVDs as well.
Holy shit, so it wasn't just a simple upload of the wrong version to Steam?

DMPrince said:
glad im at work and only played for 40 minutes this morning lol.
Yeah I didn't get super far, so it won't be a huge issue, just really annoying. Shame the patch could have been like the DX HR one that fixed everything and was issued pretty quickly.

Concept17

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Yeah I didn't get super far, so it won't be a huge issue, just really annoying. Shame the patch could have been like the DX HR one that fixed everything and was issued pretty quickly.

Yeah, after fighting connection and voice problems with friends... we only got an hour or two into the game... and most of that was just messing around, getting a feel for everything. The game is truly exceptional outside of the technical issues we're having. Really want to break some more bones.

Concept17

cleveridea said:
wait, so if I launch game this evening its likely my save will be corrupted as its still not the final "retail" build

They are working on getting the proper version out today. Any save you may have had before that small patch earlier will likely be corrupted now.

Speculator

BioWare Austin
Yep Patch hotfixed a lot of the major issues. I really wish futures ones would include energy drinks as addable to your inventory...and an FOV slider.

Speculator said:
Yep Patch hotfixed a lot of the major issues. I really wish futures ones would include energy drinks as addable to your inventory...and an FOV slider.
there's a lot of energy drinks all over the place. would be useless to have it in inventory. and lol. who drinks other peoples stuff. i know it's survival still but that's gross. lol

stufte

Speculator said:

DEAR GOD YES. Why even bother having the little $1 price on them if you can't add them to inventory and sell them?

Revolutionary said:
Just posted on FB page:

So it's true that the patch we got earlier is just a hotfix.

I don't read their post the same way. I interpret their statement as saying "You know that 75 MB patch you got earlier -- what you have now IS the correct, PATCHED version. Have fun!"

Carm

Well, I have a new problem. No matter what, the game just freezes for 3-5 seconds every 20-30 seconds. I can just be standing there and it will freeze. It wasn't do this last night.

Edit: Just timed it, freeze happens every 25 seconds, even on the main menu.

vaelic

Banned
does this game have a random PUG co-op join system ala left 4 dead? i.e. i can search for games in progress or create a new game and have others join me from a search?

mm.jpg
?

vaelic said:
does this game have a random PUG co-op join system ala left 4 dead? i.e. i can search for games in progress or create a new game and have others join me from a search?
From what I understood it's more like in Fable 2. That you can join people playing near you.

Teknoman

Dinosaur Tamer said:
I don't think there is any chance they are actually going to confirm they released a dev build and explain why did happened. That's just too painfully embarrassing. That said they already stated there will be a new version today.

Either way, they should. Alot of other game companies are admitting "Hey, we messed up, but we're going to do everything we can to fix it" when/if something like this happens...even if its via PR backpedaling.

TheNamelessOne said:
From what I understood it's more like in Fable 2. That you can join people playing near you.

Think you can also invite via friend list too.

Arpeggio23 said:
I don't read their post the same way. I interpret their statement as saying "You know that 75 MB patch you got earlier -- what you have now IS the correct, PATCHED version. Have fun!"
They had a similar status up earlier that indicated that, because it was put up BEFORE the 75mb patch went live. The status I posted was put up just a few minutes before I quoted it, therefore indicating that there's another patch yet to come.

vaelic

Banned
Arpeggio23 said:
according to green man gaming, the REAL PATCH is coming later today

Heavy said:
So uhh should I uninstall it and wait for when the retail version is up and download that? or just let this dev build get patched
wait for it to get patched. unless you enjoy downloading a few GB again lol.

Milly79

Didn't see a thread in the community forum, but I'd love to co-op on X360. Gamertag is the same as my username. I'm still on chapter 1.

wait, so the new update will mean downloading the entire game?

I bought the retail edition for PC from amazon, for the box (LOL) and artbook

will I need to basically just use this as a steamworks key and spend all night downloading? (It IS steamworks right?)

What a F****D situation this is.

I LOVE the singleplayer so far but co-op...nah..played the last 20 minutes with 4 people..I don't know but co-op turns this game into a 1st person dead rising

Heavy said:
So uhh should I uninstall it and wait for when the retail version is up and download that? or just let this dev build get patched

After reading about the dev build in the link above, I highly doubt they can just patch it and be done with it. I am not a software engineer, though.

Teknoman

The perfect Dark said:
I LOVE the singleplayer so far but co-op...nah..played the last 20 minutes with 4 people..I don't know but co-op turns this game into a 1st person dead rising

Well I mean...thats...kinda what it is.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I cancelled my preorder until they clear up this situation with PC build. I'd like to hear more impressions of how the proper version feels on PC. I have plenty games to finish so I might wait for a sale.

Dinosaur Tamer said:
After reading about the dev build in the link above, I highly doubt they can just patch it and be done with it. I am not a software engineer, though.

yeah I am wondering if a dev build has assets that arent compressed or something

I am a dev but not a game dev, so pure speculation. I know as a dev, its constant bug fixes and patches so there is no such thing as a "release build". Just constant (in my case daily) builds, one of which just happens to be "good enough" for retail.

I put up with a ton of crap with Deus Ex, I still have terrible cutscene stuttering but love it anyway. I'd rather a game reach for the stars ...

Teknoman

Derrick01 said:
Well the game doesn't run as shitty as before now but it's still kind of bad and now in that first shack the lights go nuts on me, like flickering but it wasn't doing that last night.

Plus for some really strange reason, everytime I quit the game my internet doesn't work for about 5 minutes. This is one mess of a game.

I dunno about the internet part (Steam has been acting strange on its own today) but the strange light issue happened to me last night.

JambiBum

Actually enjoying this more than I thought I would. Picked it up because some friends asked me to. It should hold me over until Gears 3. Haven't had any issues with the 360 version besides a few bits of clipping here and there but nothing major.

Teknoman

subversus said:
I cancelled my preorder until they clear up this situation with PC build. I'd like to hear more impressions of how the proper version feels on PC. I have plenty games to finish so I might wait for a sale.

Honestly, it probably wont feel that much different control wise. If anything, some extra options and other things fixed...maybe some control improvements here and there, but thats about it.

Of course it could be completely different, but thats the most likely result.

Erebus

Concept17 said:
This is great news. Nice to get some quick communication from them. Hopefully this is fixed by tonight.

In addition, someone posted this on the Steam forums: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2102313

Speculation, but it sounds about right. Would explain many of the issues so far - even things like no option to turn voice on and off.
The whole thing sounds like a bad joke. I mean seriously, they released the wrong build?

Top Bottom