• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

BubTheZombie

Neo Member
cleveridea said:
mm.jpg
?
294985-marathon_dentist.jpg

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Is there a workaround yet for the constant stuttering? It was working fine earlier during multiplayer but now it's happening every few seconds.

Talamius

I can understand uploading the wrong build. I can even understand losing a few hours worth of progress because of the savegame fiasco (although that is annoying). However, the fact that the patch has completely mangled game performance is hard to ignore. It was perfectly playable before, and now after 10 minutes or so the game grinds to a halt.

There is a great core in this game but it should been delayed a few months for polish. Stay away until the issues are resolved and/or there is a sale.

DrBo42

Revolutionary said:
I hope the patch comes soon, I want to get back to drowning zombies.
I was just doing this. Hilarious. Also, any other people that have the GTX 260 and are having that bizarre contrast/color depth issue with the shadows and lighting, you can try lowering the gamma. It's still an underlying problem, but it's almost completely unnoticeable once you bring it down a little less than 3/4. Hope that helps!

Weenerz

Banned
In a way, I kind of feel bad for the devs, releasing the wrong build to both Steam and retail discs, this will probably cost them quite a bit.

Weenerz said:
In a way, I kind of feel bad for the devs, releasing the wrong build to both Steam and retail discs, this will probably cost them quite a bit.

Is this true? I thought it was just the Steam Digital version that was wrong.

The M.O.B

I'm now 8 hours in PC verison, still no glitches or stuttering or crashes. 60fps 99% of the time.

Great game, since i'm not having any problems It was well worth the money.

LProtag

I'm hoping, despite this setback, that the company makes enough off of this to be able to put out another game with a similar engine/premise that is a real AAA quality game.

For now though, I'm plunging in because reading about it it seems like all the fun you can have heavily outweighs the technical issues.

Danielsan

Just watched the Giant Bomb live quick look and I'm kinda itching to get this game. How does the PS3 version stack up against the 360 version?

Truant

VPN'd my way to the PC version again. This game is pretty good. The only bug I've run into so far is that quest waypoints seem to disappear whenever I try to track a new quest. Anyone else figured this out?

Teknoman

The M.O.B said:
I'm now 8 hours in PC verison, still no glitches or stuttering or crashes. 60fps 99% of the time.

Did you download the patch earlier? If so...maybe its not a patch problem?

Teknoman

The M.O.B said:
I have it set to update games automatically so I believe it was patched.

Hmm guess its not a patch problem then.

Also old?

From the Kotaku story:
Update: Deep Silver has responded to our inquiries with the following statement:

"We deeply regret that an incorrect version of Dead Island was inadvertently made available to players on Steam launch in North America. We are very sorry for any issues you may have experienced while playing the game - the correct, patched version will be made available to North American players ASAP."

jet1911

The M.O.B said:
I have it set to update games automatically so I believe it was patched.

Same here and the only problem I have is that sometimes the game will "stop" for a like 5 seconds. Other than that everything works like a charm. I really like this game. :)

Concept17

Teknoman said:
Hmm guess its not a patch problem then.

Also old?

From the Kotaku story:
Update: Deep Silver has responded to our inquiries with the following statement:

"We deeply regret that an incorrect version of Dead Island was inadvertently made available to players on Steam launch in North America. We are very sorry for any issues you may have experienced while playing the game - the correct, patched version will be made available to North American players ASAP."

Yeah, they posted that a few hours ago on FB.

The M.O.B said:

so you updated to the most recent patch?

opie211

My Pre-Order from Gamestop for the Limited Edition Version should be arriving tomorrow or Thursday. Is there a chance that the code on this disc is the correct version or am I forced into waiting for the huge patch on Friday as well before I can begin playing?

I wonder if it's possible to get a replacement disc without sending the whole thing back to gamestop and losing out of my Limited Edition goodies.

vaelic

Banned
dygiT said:
If you're planning on picking up a retail copy of the PC version to save your monthly bandwidth limits or whatever, I'd wait until new discs are made. The dev build is on the DVD as well. I thought I might have gotten a shitty copy but looks like some friends are reporting the same.
slow down..... this has not been confirmed with developer. they stated (i just read) this only affects steam users

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
vaelic said:
slow down..... this has not been confirmed with developer. they stated (i just read) this only affects steam users

A few people in this thread said there retail box has the same version on the disk

I really hope they post the 'proper' version to Steam before I get home. I'm itching to play this . . . . I had a blast in the first 1.5 hours I played last night.

My Steam ID is ageis if anyone wants to do some co-op.

DrBo42

Shortt Sirket said:
Is this true? I thought it was just the Steam Digital version that was wrong.
All signs point to you being correct. Also, who is that in your avatar? I am not ashamed to ask.

Uhm I thought this was a steamworks-only game. It's irrelevant what files are on the disk for the retail because when you launch it on Steam it will check for the newest build and patch to it.

Concept17

MTMBStudios said:
Uhm I thought this was a steamworks-only game. It's irrelevant what files are on the disk for the retail because when you launch it on Steam it will check for the newest build and patch to it.

TheExodu5

Banned
MTMBStudios said:
Correct.

DryvBy

DidntKnowJack said:
words and then...

On the PS3, in display settings, uncheck 1080i and 720p. That will fool your PS3 into displaying the game in 1080p.

Wait, I can do this for all games? Will it fix jaggies in some 720p games that only display 720p?

kamspy

I came so close to grabbing this from GMG. It's been in and out of my cart so many times.

For once in a long time, I didn't buy that game. Feels good man. Will buy when fixed and cheapened. I just knew Techland couldn't deliver. The premise is basically one of my dream games, so I'll be staying tuned to see if and when this mess gets sorted.

mik83kuu

Banned
DryvBy2 said:
Wait, I can do this for all games? Will it fix jaggies in some 720p games that only display 720p?

I'm quite sure it won't actually render the game in 1080p regardless of what you do.

Aselith

So anyways I loaded the game back up today after that patch and went to leave the lifeguard compound and the gate didn't open when I pushed it open...so I get onto a dumpster and jump over the fence and go around to see if I can open it from the other side and this had happened:

B3210D4C5F633BC27940675DB8CC2118B95F814E

Weird. So I quit out to see if that would fix it and THE FUCKING GAME STARTED OVER. But I had all my weapons so I thought that might be ok then after I got through the prologue the game took my weapons away but not the items you build stuff with. Jesus fucking Christ these guys really derped this game up.

kamspy said:
I came so close to grabbing this from GMG. It's been in and out of my cart so many times.

For once in a long time, I didn't buy that game. Feels good man. Will buy when fixed and cheapened. I just knew Techland couldn't deliver. The premise is basically one of my dream games, so I'll be staying tuned to see if and when this mess gets sorted.
i did the same thing, feel bad cause someone on here went out of their way to give me a code at GMG and i didnt even use it. If your still in this thread, sorry.

Ill wait for bargain bin status and i rented Resistance 3 instead.

wowzors

I actually really enjoyed what I played last night, I can only hope that at minimum the patches/build they upload will be close to what it was last night, maybe with some AA/AF options (wishful thinking?).

Top Bottom