• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

LProtag

Burger said:
Got this pre-ordered with Amazon UK on 360. Should I be worried or will everything be ok?

From all the impressions I'm seeing, the game is a little buggy but the core part of it is fun. It just doesn't have the AAA polish. Also there was a big PC debacle going on that won't affect anyone playing on console or anyone getting it on Steam in EU.

Kinda sucks that all the impressions have been marred by this unfortunate mistake.

so am I correct in thinking the PC build will be superior to the xbox one once these issues are patched? eg better textures, frame rate etc?

anddo0

cleveridea said:
so am I correct in thinking the PC build will be superior to the xbox one once these issues are patched? eg better textures, frame rate etc?

Once it's patched (is it patched?).. It should be the best version. Even playing the un-patched version I saw the potential for a very fun game. It's just a botched release.

i hope they let me remove that weird motion blur thing. quite ugly. i did get used to the small FOV because you can hear the zombie noises and when you turn around BAM they are coming at you. i did jump a few times because i was stumbling to find a way to kill them lol.

Flunkie

Banned
The patch definitely made things worse for me. It's so choppy it's unplayable now. Whatever, I'll just wait it out. I haven't played near enough Deus Ex, so I guess I'll do that.

Edit: Same exact thing for me below.

That second patch has made the game almost completely unplayable. It stutters all the time and, after about 5-10 minutes, starts to actually freeze up completely for seconds at a time and it only gets worse the longer you play.

I played this game for two hours last night and two hours this morning and it RAN JUST FINE. No stuttering, no freezing, and I enjoyed every second of it.

Now I'm left with nothing but a sour taste in my mouth as I wait for them to release YET ANOTHER patch.

sleepykyo

cleveridea said:

Of course. It's just launch jitters. It's only the console (PS3 owners) that have to worry about technical issues.

Noob PC question, but I am dual screening with my laptop and an external monitor with the laptop as my main display. Is there a way to play the game on the external without having the external as the main display. With Deus Ex, I can do that in the options, but I don't see that for Dead Island. Is there a config file I can edit?

Thank you.

B-Dex

disappeared said:
Any PS3 impressions yet?

I have it for PS3 and have had no major issues or any issues at all really. One instance of bad screen tear and that was it. Haven't tried co-op yet was gonna do that today.

The game is really fun and it gives me a tense, uneasy feeling just going around and exploring. The thugs make a really awful roar when you get close so I try to avoid them unless I have molotovs or deo-bombs. (You can easily out run them too) I'm still on act one but I think I am close to act 2.

Just went and did a ton of sidequests and a bit of exploration.

OH, one gripe I have is the case says 1080p but it runs at 720p according to my TV.....

Interfectum

Honestly PC owners should just pretend that Dead Island was delayed for a week and don't worry about this shit until next week. Techland has some sleepless nights ahead of them. Lets just hope this botched release doesn't taint the game for it's entire lifespan.

disappeared said:
Any PS3 impressions yet?
I played it last night for a couple hours, and everything ran pretty smooth. I don't have any complaints, but some people say they've had screen tearing as well as unstable frame rates. I'm not going to deny those issues exist, only that I didn't experience them. But again, I am early on.

But overall, just a really fun game. I was worried about the game being too focused on melee attacks, but it's actually very fun and satisfying. I've already said it a few times, but this is like the best of Dead Rising, with a little Fallout 3 and a little borderlands sprinkled in. I had a blast playing, and there were definitely some tense moments. And while the story so far hasn't been very scary, I've had some scares through the gameplay. Meaning, being snuck up on by zombies; hearing those horrible snarls suddenly behind me. And having the fast zombies just come out of nowhere and into my face.

Overall, I'm having a great time with DI. This has actually been a pleasant surprise, because I went in expecting the worst from all the problems PC gamers have had.

B-Dex said:
OH, one gripe I have is the case says 1080p but it runs at 720p according to my TV.....
On the PS3, in display settings, uncheck 1080i and 720p. That will fool your PS3 into displaying the game in 1080p.

Teknoman

Great Rumbler said:
That second patch has made the game almost completely unplayable. It stutters all the time and, after about 5-10 minutes, starts to actually freeze up completely for seconds at a time and it only gets worse the longer you play.

I played this game for two hours last night and two hours this morning and it RAN JUST FINE. No stuttering, no freezing, and I enjoyed every second of it.

Now I'm left with nothing but a sour taste in my mouth as I wait for them to release YET ANOTHER patch.

Flunkie said:
The patch definitely made things worse for me. It's so choppy it's unplayable now. Whatever, I'll just wait it out. I haven't played near enough Deus Ex, so I guess I'll do that.

Edit: Same exact thing for me below.

Same issue here. It only seems to progress to that state once you leave the area you load up, and then it just gets worse. Hopefully they get all this stuff uploaded and done today, because the game was really fun at launch.

Interfectum said:
Honestly PC owners should just pretend that Dead Island was delayed for a week and don't worry about this shit until next week. Techland has some sleepless nights ahead of them. Lets just hope this botched release doesn't taint the game for it's entire lifespan.

This. Even with the PC issues we're getting now after the hotfix, and some of the exaggerations made about the low points of the game, its really fun single player and co-op, scary at times, and looks great. Its also one of the few first person action RPGs that feels like it actually has some weight behind attacks.

Kade

If you're planning on picking up a retail copy of the PC version to save your monthly bandwidth limits or whatever, I'd wait until new discs are made. The dev build is on the DVD as well. I thought I might have gotten a shitty copy but looks like some friends are reporting the same.

dygiT said:
If you're planning on picking up a retail copy of the PC version to save your monthly bandwidth limits or whatever, I'd wait until new discs are made. The dev build is on the DVD as well. I thought I might have gotten a shitty copy but looks like some friends are reporting the same.
lol what a massive fuck up.

Teknoman said:
Same issue here. It only seems to progress to that state once you leave the area you load up, and then it just gets worse. Hopefully they get all this stuff uploaded and done today, because the game was really fun at launch.

Yeah, I was having a blast last night and this morning, plowing through hoards of zombies and snatching loot. Now I can't even play it. :/

Derrick01

Banned
dygiT said:

That's ridiculous :lol

I wish I had listened to my instincts and didn't buy this until a $10 steam sale.

Interfectum

dygiT said:

When they fix this fuck up, most likely you won't have to redownload all the art assets, just the codebase so you are still saving bandwidth.

Wait so this new patch invalidates your saves? I hope not because I played 4 hours last night >.> My Xian is finally becoming badass since I have acquired some blades.

I will rage if true and I'll post it on youtube.

Flunkie

Banned
Angelus Errare said:
Wait so this new patch invalidates your saves? I hope not because I played 4 hours last night >.> My Xian is finally becoming badass since I have acquired some blades.

The new patch invalidates all your quests, but you get to keep your inventory, XP, etc.

Derrick01

Banned
Angelus Errare said:

I don't know if it completely locks you out of your save but when I loaded mine after the patch hit I was trapped in that first shack. No one would speak to me and I couldn't open the doors to get out.

No big deal as that was only 20-30 minutes into the game but yeah it seems to screw up your save.

Darklord

Banned
dygiT said:

What the fuck???

Flunkie

Banned
If nothing else, this patch was for two reasons:

1. To get rid of the dev stuff like noclip and 3rd person for obvious reasons (security, pirates' ease of use, etc.), and, probably more importantly:

2. To prepare the savegames for the megapatch due before Friday. It makes sense that the dev version savegames don't work with the patched version, and it's entirely likely that any saves before the megapatch won't work with the final version.

Teknoman

Derrick01 said:
I don't know if it completely locks you out of your save but when I loaded mine after the patch hit I was trapped in that first shack. No one would speak to me and I couldn't open the doors to get out.

No big deal as that was only 20-30 minutes into the game but yeah it seems to screw up your save.

That happened to me, just decided to start a new game...but now i'm kinda forced to wait until all this is sorted out. They need to tie the heavy attacks that you can do by double tapping the analog sticks when using a gamepad, to double tapping the left mouse button.

Flunkie said:
If nothing else, this patch was for two reasons:

1. To get rid of the dev stuff like noclip and 3rd person for obvious reasons (security, pirates' ease of use, etc.), and, probably more importantly:

2. To prepare the savegames for the megapatch due before Friday. It makes sense that the dev version savegames don't work with the patched version, and it's entirely likely that any saves before the megapatch won't work with the final version.

Yeah, would have been even worse if someone flew to some building roof or strange location, saved there, and couldnt escape.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
now it's lolworthy.

I'll rip through my backlog then. Ripping through backlog feels good.

Unless they've tuned controls for PC version I don't feel a rush to try it.

Teknoman

subversus said:
now it's lolworthy.

I'll rip through my backlog then. Ripping through backlog feels good.

Unless they've tuned controls for PC version I don't feel a rush to try it.

Everything works fine with the PC controls aside from that small bit I mentioned. At least to my knowledge, it works just like any other first person PC game. There is a weapon wheel thats used via clicking the middle mouse instead of just mouse wheel cycling though...but thats not an issue.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Teknoman said:
Everything works fine with the PC controls aside from that small bit I mentioned. At least to my knowledge, it works just like any other first person PC game. There is a weapon wheel thats used via clicking the middle mouse instead of just mouse wheel cycling though...but thats not an issue.

what about mouse acceleration?

how inventory feels?

Teknoman said:
Horrible state? Not at all. It has issues that need patching, but its not in a horrible state. Now Stranger's Wrath? That was in a horrible state. This just has some minor issues that need fixing, aside from some people experiencing graphic glitches on certain cards.

Yeah, horrible state...

Funny to see you tap dancing about the horrible state of an obvious "incomplete build." But I guess someone will attempt to justify anything.

how inventory feels?

Mouse acceleration is fucked. Uses a different setting with menus as it does in game. Inventory is ripped straight out of the console game. Not even "ported" straight up console menu, radial menu's and the like.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Hope they fix the pc ver soon, gotta say it's fun as hell kicking zombies and stuff. The stuttering, bleached out visuals, and crashing really killing me. On the plus side it works with xbox controller, as it should lol.

Hurry with patch, I wanna stomp zombies!!!

Teknoman

HeadlessRoland said:
Yeah, horrible state...

Funny to see you tap dancing about the horrible state of an obvious "incomplete build." But I guess someone will attempt to justify anything.

Great Rumbler said:
It wasn't in a horrible state last night, but now it certainly is.

Exactly. Last night I was running in a 3 person co-op game killing zombies and finding busted car parts to fix a vehicle. 60fps throughout with no visual glitches or odd occurances...aside from the objective guide not appearing on the mini-map. It wasnt in a horrible state last night in the least bit, but it is now...with the hotfix having done something to the game to cause it to dissolve into crazy stuttering the longer you're ingame.

HeadlessRoland said:
Instant to desktop crash every time you attempted to use a special ability? Seemed pretty horrible last night.

Fury ability? Wasnt happening to me. The stuttering issue seems to be affecting the majority of people now, so that would put the game into horrible state category.

HeadlessRoland said:
Instant to desktop crash every time you attempted to use a special ability? Seemed pretty horrible last night.

It ran smooth for me up until the 2nd patch. I played it for four hours, including more than two hours this morning. Didn't have any real problems. Now it's unplayable for me.

Teknoman said:
It wasnt in a horrible state last night in the least bit, but it is now...with the hotfix having done something to the game to cause it to dissolve into crazy stuttering the longer you're ingame.

Guess you need to read the game forums to get some sense of perspective. How it played to you is entirely irrelevent to the huge amount of people the game was unplayable for or suffered from a game breaking bug in the first 15 minutes.

Horrible state...there is no worse state than "unplayable".

Flunkie

Banned
HeadlessRoland said:
Guess you need to read the game forums to get some sense of perspective. How it played to you is entirely irrelevent to the huge amount of people the game was unplayable for or suffered from a game breaking bug in the first 15 minutes.

Horrible state...there is no worse state than "unplayable".
It is relevant. If I'm eating an ice cream cone and I'm enjoying the fuck out of it but 99 other people don't like it, the ice cream cone isn't in a horrible state for me. This is dumb.

timkunedo

I've put about 2 hours into it so far and am having a blast. Can't wait for everything to get patched, but the game 'for me' has been fun in spite of that. I'm fully prepared to lose my save and redo everything.

Flunkie

Banned
Stitch said:
oh cool. started a new game because my old one was fuxx0red and i can jump right into chapter one :D
Yeah, if you have a save file that has already passed the prologue, you can skip the first section entirely. Although you'll miss out on some $$$. I looted the shit out of the tutorial section, lol.

Teknoman

Prodigal said:
Is it recommended to use a gamepad on PC to make use of the analog combat?

It makes the combat seem it has a little more depth to it, but thats if they dont end up giving KB/M controls the same functionality after the updates. The game feels fine without it, but you dont seem to be able to do heavy attacks without a gamepad. Of course i'm not sure how much of an effect the heavy (called special ingame) attacks have on zombies versus normal kicking/slashing/beating.

subversus said:

how inventory feels?

Inventory could use some work. Also I keep equipping items after picking them up...so I guess I need to look for an auto-equip off option.

Top Bottom