• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

muffs92

Alright has anyone gotten co op to work with friends?
I'm trying to do it but my friend doesn't show up on my list nor I on his.

I loaded up my game today after the patch and I was at the life guard station. When I left off there were survivors there but when I loaded my game up there was just a single zombie. I couldn't leave the life guard station either. I went to load up the last check point and it just started the game over. Guess I'll wait until the proper version is up before starting over and just play Space Marine.

The M.O.B

kamspy said:
I came so close to grabbing this from GMG. It's been in and out of my cart so many times.

For once in a long time, I didn't buy that game. Feels good man. Will buy when fixed and cheapened. I just knew Techland couldn't deliver. The premise is basically one of my dream games, so I'll be staying tuned to see if and when this mess gets sorted.

This game delivers, just not of the technical side for some people. Me? The game runs perfect and after 8 hour I would rate it 8.5/10.

They need to tweak things like the respawning loot every 5 minutes, and the numerous glitches people are experiencing. But I haven't run into any of those.

I payed $34 for it on GMG and I would have payed $50.

Man, after years of nothing going wrong, this is the 2nd game in 3 months or so (NCAA 12 was the last) that is being shown as delivered to my front door, but simply not there. They shipped it via FedEx and Space Marine via UPS. Space Marine is at my door, Dead Island is not. : (

I think they're weary of my since this is the second game in not a long time that has went missing after showing being delivered. I have no idea whats going on. We're at the end of a dead end street full of old people.

Everybody bookmark this for the next "PC vs Console" thread where PC gamers claim all the bugs/patching/tinkering is all in the past.

This, right here, is why console gaming dominates right now. The games actually function.

Weenerz

Banned
David H Wong said:
Everybody bookmark this for the next "PC vs Console" thread where PC gamers claim all the bugs/patching/tinkering is all in the past.

This, right here, is why console gaming dominates right now. The games actually function.

I don't think I've seen anyone say all bugs/patching/tinkering are in the past. You're the first person I've seen say this. The game still functions, but it has bugs. Just like every piece of software you ever use. Nothing works 100% right out of the box. Stop trying to start shit.

David H Wong said:

.... what

The M.O.B

David H Wong said:

Enjoy your 720p and 30fps, Im running it at 1080p with a locked framerate of 60fps, no stuttering.

Derrick01

Banned
David H Wong said:

Careful, more posts like this and we'll have to have another carnival of stupid thread. PC gaming isn't inferior because of Techland and Deep Silver, who both have infamous pasts with PC gamers. That would be like saying console gaming is awful because Bethesda puts out buggy games.

Despite all the problems I was having I was still running it at a framerate and resolution the 360 could only dream of achieving.

About an hour in, I think. Digging the environments and the visuals, but totally not digging the controls. Your character moves like a tank and strafing, dear lord, I might as well just crawl everywhere. There's also a slight delay when you open an item and then take that item from it. Not a huge deal, but considering how much looting you do, it's annoying.

Chiggs

Gold Member
David H Wong said:

Oh boy....

David H Wong said:

Lol wish I had the ability to post a gif

David H Wong said:

Shh, we're hating Techland right now, not each other.

chixdiggit

David H Wong said:

Why would you even start this here? Quit the trolling Junior.

DMPrince said:
Nope. Gmg had preorder for $34 with discount code

Oh yeah, that's what I paid for it through GMG. Many DD games have a pre-order discount, though, and the GMG deal was also partly from a generic summer coupon. This Amazon thing is after the game has released (sure, just barely), and is the price at retail without a promo.

I'm still standing behind my bomba!

Max

I am not Max
David H Wong said:

fails to actually read and understand the situation, continues to be the reason 'pc vs console' bullshit exists.

nothing to see here.

Any news on the "real" build coming today?

Also, do we know for sure the build on the DVDs is the evil dev build? I know someone said it, but it's so hard to believe.

David H Wong said:

Because one release per year happens to take some patches to reach "best version" status? Yeah, right.

Besides, there are people in this very thread, who are not experiencing any issues on PC at all.

Chesskid1 said:
can someone explain why the 3rd person animation is ass, if you can play it co-op and you'll seee your friend's animations?

Because they are separate animations. They probably could have made the (most likely newer/ more serious) co-op animations work for 3rd person, but why should they, if it was not supposed to be a feature anyway?

Wow. So is the dev build really on the retail versions for consoles?! Just searched the last 8 pages and couldn't find anything

David H Wong said:

Uh oh...
AbandonThread.gif

Chesskid1 said:
can someone explain why the 3rd person animation is ass, if you can play it co-op and you'll seee your friend's animations?

I'm assuming we're not meant to see the 3rd person animations in SP and in online there is a seperate set of animations?

IndieJones said:
Oh yeah, that's what I paid for it through GMG. Many DD games have a pre-order discount, though, and the GMG deal was also partly from a generic summer coupon. This Amazon thing is after the game has released (sure, just barely), and is the price at retail without a promo.

I'm still standing behind my bomba!
You must haven't seen wario64 prerelease bomba threads

KPunk

i played this game for about five min today before getting called into work.so far this game is the shit. cant wait to play with some buddies..purchased 360 copy, was very tempted at cheap PC prices until i read all the unfortunate horror stories.

Carm

Weenerz said:
I don't think I've seen anyone say all bugs/patching/tinkering are in the past. You're the first person I've seen say this. The game still functions, but it has bugs. Just like every piece of software you ever use. Nothing works 100% right out of the box. Stop trying to start shit.

I don't consider a game the freezes every 25 seconds on the dot,for a few seconds, functional. This is happening to quite a few people since the 76mb patch this morning.

Talamius

David H Wong said:

You're going to last quite a while around here.

Akkad

Banned
David H Wong said:

You are very Wong.

MRORANGE

thanks guys will try and add all the reviews to the OP

Spitz said:

kaskade said:
IGN video review is up.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/09/04/dead-island-video-review?objectid=100157

No text yet.

Also the first 45 mins of the game.

Score:

Edit: Text review is up

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/119/1192319p1.html

Dinosaur Tamer said:
Found another review - Games.ch 89%

Pro and contra points mentioned are:

+Grafisch ansprechend
+Wunderbares Setting
+Missionskonzept überzeugt
+Waffenanpassungen
+Tierisch unterhaltsam im Co-Op

-Mimik der Figuren
-Kleine technische Aussetzer
-Allein spielen

Quick Translation:

+graphically appealing
+wonderful setting
+satisfying quest/mission concept
+weapon modifications
+really entertaining in Co-Op mode

-facial expressions
-minor technical issues
-singleplayer

Don't ask me about the reviewer or the site in general - never been there before.

Artadius said:
I created a Steam NeoGAF Dead Island Group.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/GAFDeadIsland

Please add to OP!

Need someone to make a kick-ass logo for the group.

It's public to join so if you're reading the topic, take a second to join up so we can do PC co-op on release day :)

Max said:
joined up

ibebmlzWlxgoYj.png

Marcellus Wallace said:

Speedymanic said:

Keiician said:

The Quiet Man said:
Joystiq: 3/5

EDIT: Corrected 3.5/5 to 3/5. Thanks!

And since I'm editing, I should say - this game is still appealing to me, but I'll probably wait for a sale.

Syringe said:
Gamereactors review, also 7 out of 10.

PC version tested, with pictures of course grabbed from PC version.

SuperMalo said:

Marsipolami said:

Blimblim said:

Revolutionary said:

The M.O.B said:
Updated, Borrowed from Calimera on DI forums

Reviews so far(From Highest to Lowest)

TeamXbox : 9/10
Games.ch : 89%
Gameswelt.de : 86%
Gametrailers : 8.5
GameInformer : 8.5
OPM Italy : 8.5/10
X360A : 84%
Ausgamers : 8.1
IGN : 8.0
wegotthiscovered : 4/5
Maniac : 70%
Destructoid : 7/10
Joystiq : 3/5
Eurogamer : 6/10

The perfect Dark said:

SalomonA said:
Another review:

http://www.fz.se/artiklar/spel/20110905/dead-island/?page=1

Swedish site FZ gave it 4/5 and the "säkert köp" label, or roughly translated "safe buy".

Pros:

The feeling of desperation

Atmosphere

Design

Gore/brutality

Cons:

NPC:s feels as dead (undead?) as the zombies

Keiician said:
Day 1 fixes:

Source.

The perfect Dark said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6aCa8c7uZQ
20 minutes review by destructoid

"I love Jeff Goldblum..."

lol

IceDoesntHelp said:

They said the EU/AUS release will get the 'real' version on release in a couple of days, but what about those that have preloaded using GMG keys (NA-ROW according to Steam)? Wouldn't the files be the same as what NA got if it preloaded a few days ago?

Weenerz said:
In a way, I kind of feel bad for the devs, releasing the wrong build to both Steam and retail discs, this will probably cost them quite a bit.
Haha! Really? That's confirmed to be a thing that has happened?

And everything else. Man.
Maybe I shouldn't have resolved the payment problem on my pre-order. :\

Wow.

The M.O.B said:
The game breaking patch, cancel cancel cancel.
too late. can't stop it. wouldn't be able to stop anyways as it would have forced it to update no? lol.

and it finished. curse you fast download.

Not bad scores for a new IP. Assuming it's good, I hope it sells well so publishers don't all feel like they have to play it so safe with sequel after sequel of the same stuff.

Huggy

Chesskid1 said:

They're probably full awareness animations, meant to be viewed from the first person view.
I suppose there's a different set of animations for other players.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Uh, question...

How the hell do I track side quests?

I'm RIGHT in the beginning and some dude wants me to find him some booze...but when I set to "track" the quest in the quest log, it doesn't tell me where to go. None of my side quests do :(

Ledsen

FINALBOSS said:
Uh, question...

How the hell do I track side quests?

I'm RIGHT in the beginning and some dude wants me to find him some booze...but when I set to "track" the quest in the quest log, it doesn't tell me where to go. None of my side quests do :(

You can't, it's a bug.

Top Bottom