• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

Ugh, the one time I didn't want an auto update. So my old save is worthless, that's 3hrs gone. Not too mad since my new playthrough it allows me to start at whatever chapter I got to on my old save.

But now my performance went from a smooth 60fps to the jankiest shit ever, it freezes all the damn time. I am so sad right now, I've been wanting to play all day while at work, I'm home now and this happens.

Fuuu....le sigh.

Dizzle24

Picked up the PS3 version this morning (Special Edition with bonus weapon Mod and future DLC mode)

I haven't seen any noticeable screen-tearing or glitches at all. No patch or anything when I booted up either.

There's also no install, which is nice. Loading only occurs once at each chapter interval and then you can free roam all over you want to the accessible areas.

So many side quests! Holy shit, I think I had about 10 going at once at some point, and I am only 8% completed with the plot, in chapter 2 I believe.

I'm enjoying the game a lot and have no gripes so far.

BZ2cX.jpg

Hey, me too.

Sutton Dagger said:
They said the EU/AUS release will get the 'real' version on release in a couple of days, but what about those that have preloaded using GMG keys (NA-ROW according to Steam)? Wouldn't the files be the same as what NA got if it preloaded a few days ago?

Yeah it doesn't come out here till Friday, but I preloaded it yesterday. I assume I'll just get a patch like everyone else.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Dizzle24 said:
Picked up the PS3 version this morning (Special Edition with bonus weapon Mod and future DLC mode)

I haven't seen any noticeable screen-tearing or glitches at all. No patch or anything when I booted up either.

There's also no install, which is nice. Loading only occurs once at each chapter interval and then you can free roam all over you want to the accessible areas.

So many side quests! Holy shit, I think I had about 10 going at once at some point, and I am only 8% completed with the plot, in chapter 2 I believe.

I'm enjoying the game a lot and have no gripes so far.

You must not be looking very hard.

I'm very much NOT a stickler for FPS and tearing, but good lord this game tears like tissue paper.

Dizzle24

FINALBOSS said:
Uh, question...

How the hell do I track side quests?

I'm RIGHT in the beginning and some dude wants me to find him some booze...but when I set to "track" the quest in the quest log, it doesn't tell me where to go. None of my side quests do :(

"Tracking" is only for when you view the map. You need to find on the map where you are to go, then place a marker on it so you can follow it.

Items you need to retrieve are usually indicated by a Hand Icon. That particular mission is bugged at first. Try another side quest and complete it, then it should pop up on the map.

The booze he needs is just the alcohol you can pick up everywhere. I think it completes at 5 or so drop offs to him, but be careful; if you have like 5x Alcohol and he wants 1, when you give it to him he takes all and it only counts as 1.

DennisK4 said:
Whats the verdict GAF?

Fuck yeah or Hell no?
Hell no for now, fun as hell game though and should be great once all this gets fixed. I am regretting getting this first before Space Marine :/

Dizzle24

FINALBOSS said:
You must not be looking very hard.

I'm very much NOT a stickler for FPS and tearing, but good lord this game tears like tissue paper.

You're right. I'm not looking very hard for defects; just enjoying the game :)

Zimbardo

so the massive stuttering i was getting earlier today (before that 76meg patch came out) is mostly gone ...but it'll still have a 1 or 2 second long hitch every once in a while, which it didn't do last night when it was first released.

someone on the Steam forums said to set your multiplayer to LAN in order to fix that. gonna try that out soon.

hope they get this shit fixed up quick, cus the game seems really good.

muffs92

Is xbox having problems with the co op right now?
None of my friends can join me and I cant join them or any of the random players.

loaded up the old save. LOL it wouldn't let me leave the safehouse. lol. using 360 controller. and no prompt to open. haven't tried keyboard to see if it wasn't just the 360 pad.

EDIT: Okay. now it forced me to start a new game.

DMPrince said:
loaded up the old save. LOL it wouldn't let me leave the safehouse. lol. using 360 controller. and no prompt to open. haven't tried keyboard to see if it wasn't just the 360 pad.
Nope its not just because you're using the pad, happened to me and I use kb/mouse.

GhostRidah said:
Nope its not just because you're using the pad, happened to me and I use kb/mouse.
i exited the game. went to switch to kb/m. now it's starting over to the intro. oh well. not bothered anyways.

vaelic

Banned
FINALBOSS said:
Uh, question...

How the hell do I track side quests?

I'm RIGHT in the beginning and some dude wants me to find him some booze...but when I set to "track" the quest in the quest log, it doesn't tell me where to go. None of my side quests do :(
bug

legbone

muffs92 said:
Is xbox having problems with the co op right now?
None of my friends can join me and I cant join them or any of the random players.

i haven't noticed anything but i have been playing single player mainly. make sure your multiplayer settings are not set to private or local in the options screens.

Dizzle24 said:
You're right. I'm not looking very hard for defects; just enjoying the game :)
Don't worry, it's not just you. PS3 version here, no tearing here and the frame rate has seemed ok too. I have zero complaints. So you're not alone.

Maybe screen tearing is worse on some displays than others...?

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I have this in my gamefly queue. Will give it a try when I return the Sims 3, since we aren't really playing it.

So, is co-op online only, or split-screen? If split-screen, me and my wife would love to play this. She's terrified of zombies, and I could use a human meat shield!

GhostRidah said:
Yup, we lost everything and have to start over lol
Nope. lol i still have all my stuff in inventory. i'm just doing the intro part again lmao. level 2 xian and all lol. going to beat up some zombies lol.

i woke up from my bed with a shovel in hand.

FINALBOSS

Banned
DidntKnowJack said:
Don't worry, it's not just you. PS3 version here, no tearing here and the frame rate has seemed ok too. I have zero complaints. So you're not alone.

You and I are playing the same exact game lol.

And is anyone else baffled that there isn't a block button? Pretty odd design choice.

Ledsen

DidntKnowJack said:

Nope, you just have a very bad eye for it, consider yourself lucky I guess. I hate tearing more than anything.

Okay I am in Act 2 and Ps3-Version is absolutely unplayable now. It's like setting the game options to "very high" when your system can only handle "low"....stutter, stutter, stutter ...freezes for 1-2 seconds very often + a lot of sound bugs.

No, simply no. If the patch won't fix this I'm done with this game.

And I am not the only one with these problems (i searched for it on dead island boards).

Peagles

Releases on Friday here in NZ, all preloaded on Steam, so hopefully we'll get the patch before release.

I don't mind bugs but losing my save file would be sucky.

MRORANGE

updated the OP with the reviews and added the steam group to the page as well, I've also listed updates to the game that are coming.

Dizzle24 said:
"Tracking" is only for when you view the map. You need to find on the map where you are to go, then place a marker on it so you can follow it.

Items you need to retrieve are usually indicated by a Hand Icon. That particular mission is bugged at first. Try another side quest and complete it, then it should pop up on the map.

The booze he needs is just the alcohol you can pick up everywhere. I think it completes at 5 or so drop offs to him, but be careful; if you have like 5x Alcohol and he wants 1, when you give it to him he takes all and it only counts as 1.

No you can actually "track" quests on PC. Prior to the patch it was broken using the controller.

Select the quest you want then move the mouse around the other quests (so that it doesn't highlight other quests) and you have to use your mouse to click track and it'll show you way toward that quest. As of the patch it's working correctly with the controller thought.

Derrick01

Banned
DennisK4 said:
Whats the verdict GAF?

Fuck yeah or Hell no?

Seems like it could be fun if it ever runs correctly. Don't know how long it takes to upload the correct version. Maybe the night shift guy lost it :lol

I've got a question: how representative did that 'omg so good' re-reveal trailer (the one with the zombie little girl) end up being of the final product? Like, in terms of tone and such?

milesdm

So apparently, Deep Silver want to make it up to those affected by the cock-up -- likely US only.
We deeply regret that an incorrect version of Dead Island was inadvertently made available to players on Steam launch in North America. We are very sorry for any issues you may have experienced while playing the game - the correct, patched version will be made available to North American players ASAP. Other territories will receive the correct, patched version on Friday.

Also apparently, the patched/current/whatever-is-the-right-one build is up on Steam, ready to go.

EDIT: Here's the statement from Deep Silver themselves:-
· First, the correct version of the title is now available on Steam and fans are able to download it now.

· Second, the day 1 patch notes in their entirety are below. Please note that the lists circulating around the internet in the past day were not final. Also note that this update may cause incompatibilities between the incorrect version of Dead Island that was released and the fixed version and cause a wipe on saved games. We tried every avenue possible in order to avoid fans having to wipe their saved games and it’s important that fans are made aware of this ASAP. However, we have a solution to help regain some quest progress: When the game opens, select New Game -> Select the same character as you were using before, and then there will be an option for “Chapter Select” which will allow the player to jump to the last chapter they were playing in.

· Third, Deep Silver plans to announce a “make up” to fans who were affected by the day 1 PC issues, stay tuned in coming days for those details as internal discussions are ongoing on our end.

· Fourth, the Bloodbath DLC is still on schedule as planned – fans who preordered the title will still receive the Bloodbath DLC when it launches (date TBA shortly!) as stated previously.

· Fifth, we are aware of The Ripper activation bug which will not load as a result of the version update and this will be fixed in the next game update, coming soon.

Again, we are deeply sorry for the inconvenience caused to fans who wanted to spend their day crushing some zombie skulls. We are right there with you.

Top Bottom