• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

Robobandit said:
Aside from the push ??? issue, it seems to be running fine and is quite enjoyable on the PC..

Maybe I'm just lucky.. but I didn't have any techincal issues and I've been playing for over an hour.
yeah. it's running fine now. and holy shit. i like how they don't show zombies because i was walking and one came out of nowhere and scared the shit out of me. good stuff lol.

Concept17

Well, finally got on today. Lost my save, can't connect to any online games with friends, and everything seems shit.

I still have hopes it'll be fixed by Friday. But seriously... develop your fucking PC versions. Homefront and Brink were killed by similar problems. These devs need to fix this shit soon. I don't want to group what should be a great game with those other two piles of shit.

TheNiX said:
I can't believe people bought into the "WHOOPS! That's not the right version!" line and thought they would upload a magical copy of the game that's bug free.

The fact noclip was bound to the Y key gave me some hope! Who would be stupid enough to try to sell a game in that state. Nobody who gave a shit about the continued success of their studio for certain.

Salsa

im sure i missed something but the game suddenly became available in my region. Friend hasnt installed it yet but im gonna give it a whirl.

G_Berry said:
So general consensus is, use the 360 pad for PC?

Looks like a game that would work better with the pad.

The mouse is not bad. The problems with it stem from the fact that there's a massive difference in an acceptable sensitivity for looking around and the sensitivity you use in the menus. For some reason, when you adjust the sensitivity bar, it affects both the mouse in game and in the menus. It should be easy for them to fix, but there are no smoothing or acceleration issues.

Just got to level 5 on 360 before I quit. I had quite a bit of fun so far.

Tried doing some side quests, but those kept leading to more side quests while out doing the original ones. Damn OCD just wouldn't let me stop.

Probably try some co op tomorrow when my friend picks up the game.

Teknoman

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Ugh so clearly we were duped. There's no fucking way I'm playing through the first 5-6 hours again, regardless of my level. I'm just frustrated because last night the game ran well, as many are reporting, but since today on it's been awful, the small patch totally fucked my saves up..

What a complete mess. Wish I could get my money back from GMG.

Just start from the last chapter you reached.

EDIT: Wait, the real version is up now...do we have to do a full download again?

JambiBum

Played for about 9 hours today. Had a pretty good time with only one minor issue when my friend's connection bugged out and caused my game to freeze. Other than that it's been pretty great so far. 360 version.

Maddness

Holy Shit! Just played for like 3 straight hours with 2 other friends. No problems, the game is fun as hell! Some crazy shit has already happened.

Jak140

So I launch the game today to find my game save corrupted, the free DLC preorder bonus removed, that I can no longer connect to the internet for co-op, and that none of the previous severe fps stuttering issues are resolved. Awesome patch guys. Great job! I can only assume the next patch is going to remove the ability to play at resolutions greater than 800 x 600. I guess I should have learned after preordering Black Ops that buying a PC game at launch is like giving companies $50 so you can beta test their shit.

Artadius

I was able to fix the stuttering for now by changing the Online mode Game Visibility to LAN instead of Internet. This has the benefit of not prompting you whenever someone is nearby to join. Note, this is different than choosing to play Single Player mode (where you still get the join requests and still get stuttering).

For those that want to at least play and don't mind playing alone until this issue is fixed, try changing to LAN in the online options before you load your save game and see if that fixes things.

Concept17

Maddness said:
Holy Shit! Just played for like 3 straight hours with 2 other friends. No problems, the game is fun as hell! Some crazy shit has already happened.

PC? Seems like no one can connect online on PC.

Teknoman

Artadius said:
I was able to fix the stuttering for now by changing the Online mode to LAN instead of Internet. This has the benefit of not prompting you whenever someone is nearby to join. Note, this is different than choosing to play Single Player mode (where you still get the join requests and still get stuttering).

For those that want to at least play and don't mind playing alone until this issue is fixed, try changing to LAN in the online options before you load your save game and see if that fixes things.

Man this sucks...had no problems with co-op or framerate for that matter last night.

I am not surprised people are having fun with this game but I just finished a 3 hour session and it isn't for me. The quest structure is all over the place and most importantly the combat is frustrating and boring already. I tried both the analog and digital combat and neither ever felt remotely satisfying. I wish it controlled a little more like Demon's Souls or something. Lastly, the inventory and item management is about three generations behind and tedious at best. Having just recently played through Borderlands, this game feels woefully under polished in comparison.

That all said, I can see people loving this game and if the things I mentioned don't even register on your "peeve" radar then you are in for some fun.

Played the PS3 version. Some screen tearing and long load times with textures but otherwise playable. Oddly enough Borderlands crashed for the first time when I played it immediately after Dead Island.

Going to send it back to Amazon tomorrow unless someone wants to trade for a copy of Resistance 3. PM me if interested.

gutterboy44 said:
I am not surprised people are having fun with this game but I just finished a 3 hour session and it isn't for me. The quest structure is all over the place and most importantly the combat is frustrating and boring already. I tried both the analog and digital combat and neither ever felt remotely satisfying. I wish it controlled a little more like Demon's Souls or something. Lastly, the inventory and item management is about three generations behind and tedious at best. Having just recently played through Borderlands, this game feels woefully under polished in comparison.

That all said, I can see people loving this game and if the things I mentioned don't even register on your "peeve" radar then you are in for some fun.

Played the PS3 version. Some screen tearing and long load times with textures but otherwise playable. Oddly enough Borderlands crashed for the first time when I played it immediately after Dead Island.

Going to send it back to Amazon tomorrow unless someone wants to trade for a copy of Resistance 3. PM me if interested.

You can return opened games to Amazon?

WarMacheen

Just finished several hours with no issues.

But holy POV batman, seriously Dev's put a slider in there somewhere

I feel like I'm play with binoculars attached to my face.

also for those that didn't preorder, the Digital version on Amazon is 39.99

Teknoman

gutterboy44 said:
You get a high trade in value. I am sure I could sell it for near zero loss on craigs list but I am lazy.

You could do the same on Amazon too. Its really easy and usually fast. Selling I mean.

soulassssns said:
Straight up says correct version is available for download.

I wonder if that 75MB patch earlier is what they mean by that...

Teknoman said:
You could do the same on Amazon too. Its really easy and usually fast. Selling I mean.
I wonder if that 75MB patch earlier is what they mean by that...

Wish I was at home to find out for myself. Damn you work. LOL

Concept17

So my three friends and I all have our games running perfectly. But the matchmaking seems to be down. I'm guessing that may have been a cause for a much of the stuttering and perhaps they're under maintenance?

just made it to the lifeguard tower. very good. what i hate is the rechargeable battery flashlight. it was cool when i ran out and then it charged up by itself. unless it's not a rechargable flashlight that just happen to come back on after recharging lol.
i'm used to the FOV. makes it feel more claustrophobic when i turn and out jumps a zombie in my face!

wow the game totally runs fine now, weird maybe there was a steam update or something I didnt see happening

wow this game is seriously addicting to me, hours have flown by

cool game, and I really like how different the fury powers are. I thought the blade chick had a cooler fury power, but the sports guy thrown weapons fury was awesome at taking out a huge bunch of enemies at range scoring big xp multipliers

very addictive game

spermatic cord said:
Anyone figure out how to change FOV yet?

i'm wondering this too. i can barely see my weapon on screen unless i'm swinging it!

aside from that the game is running perfectly. i don't understand how so many people are having problems and some aren't.

LegoDad

Game works fine, no issues at all so far in single player. Coop doesn't work on PC, I can't connect to servers or something, friend keeps inviting me, but I can't join.

Also some small graphical issues with how some shadows work, that will need to be patched.

Salsa

well after 15 minutes my thoughts are that yeah, the game is pretty rough but its nothing that some patching cant fix.

Pop in can be kinda bad specially in foliage. No AA sucks but i guess there should be a workaround for that, and even though i should be able to mantain 60fps with my rig the framerate is definetly not THAT consistent, random drops here and there that dont really affect the overall experience but would be nice if they got rid of those.

edit: Oh and yeah shadows are terrible and pixelated. And the mouse sensitivity is fuckin off the charts but if i tone it down then its slow as hell in menus.

Game seems fun though, the melee combat is satisfying, wich was my main concern.

edit:

So anyone has any ways around V-sync and AA? using Nvidia. Does the panel force things alright or would you recommend something else?

Now I don't know if my order went through... no confirmation email, not showing under recent orders.

Why must target.com be such shit! Gonna wait until tomorrow I guess, don't want to somehow buy 2 copies lol.

Glad to read the PC is at least playable again.

gutterboy44 said:
You get a high trade in value. I am sure I could sell it for near zero loss on craigs list but I am lazy.

You could probably sell it for some money on the Amazon marketplace, but if you're planning to trade it in to Amazon you're not going to get much. They currently only accept the 360 version for trade in, and you'd only get $13 max from them.

G_Berry said:
Can someone post a pic of the ingame world map? Would love to see the size of it.

tumblr_la8cct5YnD1qace781.gif

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
skimming through the last few pages of this thread I'm glad I will be waiting for the Christmas sale for this game.

SalsaShark said:
well after 15 minutes my thoughts are that yeah, the game is pretty rough but its nothing that some patching cant fix.

Pop in can be kinda bad specially in foliage. No AA sucks but i guess there should be a workaround for that, and even though i should be able to mantain 60fps with my rig the framerate is definetly not THAT consistent, random drops here and there that dont really affect the overall experience but would be nice if they got rid of those.

edit: Oh and yeah shadows are terrible and pixelated. And the mouse sensitivity is fuckin off the charts but if i tone it down then its slow as hell in menus.

Game seems fun though, the melee combat is satisfying, wich was my main concern.

edit:

So anyone has any ways around V-sync and AA? using Nvidia. Does the panel force things alright or would you recommend something else?

I turned VSync on from the nvidia control panel

Or you can remove the "!" in front of VSync() in Documents\DeadIsland\out\Settings\Video.scr

!Resolution(i,i)
!WindowOffset(i,i)
!Monitor(i) // -1 primary monitor
!BPP(i)
!FSAA(i) // Full Screen AntiAliasing, 0 - none, higher is better
!TexBPP(i)
!TextureQuality(s) // VeryLow, Low, High
!Filtering(s) // Bilinear, Trilinear, Anisotropic, AnisotropicTrilinear
!GammaFloat(f)
!MaxRefresh(i)
!Shadows(s) // Low, High
!ShadowMapSize(i)
!SpotShadowMapSize(i)
!Lightmaps()
!Fullscreen()
!VSync() // enable vertical sync
!MaterialQuality(i) // lower is better
!WaterQuality(i) // lower is better
!GrassQuality(i) // lower is better
!FXQuality(i) // higher is better
!FXFadeLevel(i) // 0-4 (lower is better)
!EnvQuality(s) // FullDynamic, RareDynamic, Static
!ShaderPath(i) // 0 - 1.1, 1 - 1.4, 2 - 2.0, 3 - 3.0, 4 - x360, 5 - 4.0, 6 - ps3
!PostProcess(s) // Simple, Normal
!DisplayDeviceType(i,f,f,f,f) //device type (LCD TV etc.): 0 - default
!Curves(s) // curves texure

there is a bunch of settings in that file

Also in there

Resolution(1920,1080)
Monitor(0)
BPP(24)
FSAA(0)
TexBPP(32)
TextureQuality("High")
Filtering("Trilinear")
Fullscreen()
Shadows("Low")
ShadowMapSize(512)
SpotShadowMapSize(1024)
Lightmaps()
GammaFloat(1.25)
MaxRefresh(60)
MaterialQuality(2)
FXQuality(3)
FXFadeLevel(2)
WaterQuality(2)
GrassQuality(0)
EnvQuality("FullDynamic")
ShaderPath(3)
DisplayDeviceType(0,0.000000,1.000000,1.000000,1.000000)

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm...I'll admit I had some stuttering and serious sound issues when I initially booted up. Two restarts and I was golden!

I do have a bit of the headache due to the fov and the fucking bobbing, but I *really* enjoy this game and don't regret picking it up thus far.

I've had one crash and some strange freezes (during a mini boss too no doubt), and it creeps me out since I don't know where I'll end up and where the mini boss will end up.

So far, the kick is OP. O to the motherfuckin P! Group of zombies? Lure into a corner and kick them in the balls...then in the head when they're down...then in the balls again! I'm sure the other zombies won't be quite so vulnerable to the crotch soccer.

I don't like that the weapons degrade so fast. So far, I've been relying on kicks to do the job and only use melee if there are a group and I just need a swing to knock them down...still...kicks pretty much do the job.

I like throwing weapons and it's what helped me take out that mini boss. And I also like the feel of swinging the weapons. I also like the RPG system, but I felt it could've been deeper.

My biggest gripe is that the running feels really really off. I'm spoiled by Valve and how L4D did everything 'RIGHT'. Multiplayer, voice, controls, mood, etc etc etc. Dead Island could've been great with a lot of polish. Moving just feels so unresponsive and sluggish. I also hope they fix the goddamn co op soon too.

Ploid 3.0

Is green man gaming the only place with key shortages? I had no idea they were out of keys before I bought it. How hard could it be to order more, and why would they run out so fast?

If it's just not released on this site I sure didn't get a preorder price. Unless that code was the pre order deal.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Ploid 3.0 said:
Is green man gaming the only place with key shortages? I had no idea they were out of keys before I bought it. How hard could it be to order more, and why would they run out so fast?

If it's just not released on this site I sure didn't get a preorder price. Unless that code was the pre order deal.
They said they'd have more by 1pm today, but yeah...I'm still waiting from two days ago.

Teknoman said:
If AA and AF setting are available there, they really need to have these available in the config menu.

yeah plus they needed to turn vsync on by default or at least put it in the option menu, TERRIBLE tearing with their default to off.

Concept17

DrBo42 said:
Is the coop completely broken for anyone else right now? Can't see any nearby players or friends.

Matchmaking servers are down. May have been causing much of the stuttering. No word yet on them coming up.

Top Bottom