• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

FINALBOSS

Banned
Marty Chinn said:
Wait I read in this thread that the PS3 version is the worst of the three. I'd hold off until you'd get more opinions on it.

LensOfTruth link is like 10 posts up saying the PS3 version is noticeably sharper with much better textures.

Peagles

Vampire Baseball said:
My favorite bug is how the Techland logo stutters when you launch the game. It's like the game is trying to warn me to stay away.

Maybe you should write a Creepy Pasta about the bugs in this game?

FINALBOSS said:
LensOfTruth link is like 10 posts up saying the PS3 version is noticeably sharper with much better textures.

Yeah but everyone's saying the PS3 framerate is pretty bad.

Rather have a better framerate than sharper image.

wilflare

Ploid 3.0 said:
Dead Island on Amazon download for $40. On steam is 49. Is the price better somewhere else?

it's on GMG for 34USD (not sure if the 20% discount code to knock it down to that price still works)

I started a new game (since the patch borked my old save) and couldnt get into the elevator after the cutscene of people falling off the hotel. Fuck this shit

Vampire Baseball said:
I started a new game (since the patch borked my old save) and couldnt get into the elevator after the cutscene of people falling off the hotel. Fuck this shit
did you check the elevator lobby first?

Ah nice looks like my setting in nvidia control planel forced vsync on worked, ah finally, devs why no simple checkbox?

game itself doesnt seem bad so far

Carm

To turn on vsync, either use D3Doverrider(smart choice) or go into the Documents/DeadIsland/Out/Settings folder, open Notepad. Drag and drop the video.scr into notepad.

Copy/paste Vsync() to the lower section of the file, save and vsync is turned on.

Nelo Ice

Banned
soulassssns said:
I was playing before I headed out the door for work today and I was getting the freezing every few seconds thing as well.

same here only played some of the prologue and with the dev build i had no probs but after the patch my game randomly freezes

Warnen said:
Lets see it in motion, not trying to rag on the PS3 but how can all the reviews be wrong?

Review (reviews? only saw the ign mention it) talked about object pop in and tearing, not textures and sharpness.

d1rtn4p

Just played a few hours of co-op with the wifey; PS3 version. Game is just flat out amazing all around. Atmosphere and sense of desperation kept us completely enthralled; something we both felt was missing in the Left 4 Dead games. The fact that it's an action RPG had us both addictEd to where we had to force ourselves to quit.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
kamspy said:
Why would they be patching this game if it's a completely wrong build? Wouldn't they just find the files they were supposed to release and release those? They said these files exist right? But yet they're patching the dev build....

This smells like bullshit.
Well, it would be a patch none the less, you would try to make it so the end user doesn't have to reinstall the entire game, and salvage as much of the initial install as possible.

vaelic said:
all other review say otherwise

Happened before, but doesn't mean the game runs better on ps3. It's been the case that the textures and game would look sharper on ps3 but would run worse than the 360 version. Dragon Age is a well known example where it ran at a lower frame rate yet the colors and textures were sharper overall on ps3

WTF This game is really confusing me right now.

Once I finally started the first melee combat "mission" (took like couple mins) game looked great, I had vsync off, was really enjoying the feel of combat

then I go back inside that tiny hut and the game keeps freezing for like 5 seconds of total freeze then comes back, keeps doing that. its unplayable. I tried turning off internet and coop to make a pure single player game but it still did it.

how do we know steam is gonna update us? It still shows this in steam as the latest news for me:

The correct patched version will up as soon as possible.

this is so frustrating for that brief moment the game actually worked (2 minutes LOL) I had a sense I am gonna love this game - love the colorful graphics, the visceral feel of combat, the RPG-ness of it all (all the nerdy numbers everywhere)

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Sullichin said:
I'm guessing the game saves automatically.. right?
It does, but it resets you back to the last location checkpoint, which sucks. Saves all your gear/progress though.

Carm said:
To turn on vsync, either use D3Doverrider(smart choice) or go into the Documents/DeadIsland/Out/Settings folder, open Notepad. Drag and drop the video.scr into notepad.

Copy/paste Vsync() to the lower section of the file, save and vsync is turned on.

Not sure if it matters but in the file its a capital S

!VSync()

Of course remove the "!" (programming for NOT)

Flunkie

Banned
Yeah BULL SHIT the final, proper version is up.

The dev version they released last night worked perfectly. Now, after their wonderful patch, I can't even play it. I'm still getting the stuttering and hangups from earlier in the day, rendering it unplayable for me. Literally. Not just the, "Oh, the framerate isn't a constant 30FPS, unplayable!" bullshit, it's full-on 1-2 second freezes every 2-3 seconds.

arab

have ps3 version, haven't noticed much in terms of bugs or glitches. played coop with my bud and it's pretty fucking fun. surprisingly challenging at times, what with item degradation and the occasional zombie horde. wonder if there's a free roam mode...

Went to my local Target to buy it for PS3 today. They said it was sold out (although I didn't even see a spot for it on the display shelf...) Went online to order it (I have a target gift card so that is why I am sticking with Target, for the time being) and it says "not available in stores".

Ordered it with delivery, will be here thursday which is when the creepy guy at Target said they would get it anyways.

Anywho, just thought that was weird...

Flunkie said:

The point being there is no proper final version. They merely at the last minute removed the no-clip and various other superficial shit and that made it blatantly not finished and called it the final version.

The game currently available on steam is the retail version of the game. There has been no indication any further "fix" is on its way...

Flunkie said:

The dev version they released last night worked perfectly. Now, after their wonderful patch, I can't even play it. I'm still getting the stuttering and hangups from earlier in the day, rendering it unplayable for me. Literally. Not just the, "Oh, the framerate isn't a constant 30FPS, unplayable!" bullshit, it's full-on 1-2 second freezes every 2-3 seconds.

This! It's become a mess since I played it last night and on top of it I lost my progress because of the patch. I was amused by having some of the debug stuff still in the build, but I'm not amused by them releasing a version that is less stable to get rid of it.

CaLe

I'm disappointed beyond belief.

The game freaking stutters every 5 seconds for me, it's completely unplayable. Add to that the complete FIASCO that happened with the "dev" build (yeah, right.)

What the fuck ? Really ? What the FUCK Techland ?

That will teach me to pre-order games and try to support small developers.

Top Bottom