• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

Flunkie

Banned
Okay, I turned on "single player mode" and the game runs flawlessly (no stuttering!). Been playing happily for the past hour. It will have to do for now, as I just want to play the damn game.

Seems that the problem for stuttering lies in coop.

Edit: (If this has already been stated earlier in this thread, forgive me. Don't have time to read through right now.)

Derrick01

Banned
you know I'm kind of late to the "what I want for compensation" party since I wasn't here but....

I'll take $30 in my steam wallet. I figure if Gamestop can give me $50 for a much smaller offense (that didn't even affect me, mine wasn't opened), these guys can give me $30 for selling me an unplayable game.

Aselith

FINALBOSS said:
You and I are playing the same exact game lol.

And is anyone else baffled that there isn't a block button? Pretty odd design choice.

You can dodge if you hit a direction and A if you hadn't found that out yet.

Ploid 3.0

Mutagenic said:
They said they'd have more by 1pm today, but yeah...I'm still waiting from two days ago.

Got refund and am downloading from amazon download now. Same price ($39), and they let me keep my $5 refer bonus, so I think the gaffer gave me a link won't lose that. Win win.

Moaradin

Concept17 said:
Matchmaking servers are down. May have been causing much of the stuttering. No word yet on them coming up.

It's funny because LAN via Hamachi is working perfectly fine right now with no problems. No reason for me to go online now.

Gritesh

Ok since the stuttering isn't an issue anymore for me atm I have a few things to say.

FOV...wtf is going on here!
Animations...the running animation, look at your shadow when your running, the arms look like they are made of rubber, its so bad its hilarious.

Other than that, if we can get co-op back in and fix the fov with no stuttering this might be fun, right now though I am HEAVILY regretting spending even 30 dollars on this game. With so many AAA titles hitting shelves this fall/winter and the gaming budget already tight, I decided to go with a new IP to shake things up...big mistake.

You would have thought I would have learned from LA Noire.

Ultrabum said:
So whats the RPG stuff like in this game? How are the Skill trees?

quite extensive RPG behind the scenes eg it shows all the numerics for weapon damage types, damage of hits color coded for type (blue for drowning, red for fire etc), weapon customisation and upgrades

skill trees are similar to borderlands with 3 seperate themed, with combat, fury (special move) and survival trees and a special weapon focus (sharp, blunt, thrown and firearms)

Played about 2 hours on the 360. Having big problems with usability.

- What's the point of selecting a quest if it doesn't highlight/point to anything on the map? Is this a bug in my version?
- Any way to manual save instead of autosave?
- Everything is just super laggy. There's about a half second in controller lag, huge hiccups when bashing down door and opening suitcases...wtf? Is it just me?

It's fun, I just wish I had a usable map and didn't feel like I'm controlling a molasses drenched character.

anddo0 said:
Does the
stanley alcohol quest
ever end?
You gotta go back to him 3 times with 3 bottles each time I think. That quest was bugged as hell for me when it came to the map locations and amount i had to give him. I think i had over 10 bottles when I first talked to him and then the game wiped them out.

The Interrobanger said:
Played about 2 hours on the 360. Having big problems with usability.

- What's the point of selecting a quest if it doesn't highlight/point to anything on the map? Is this a bug in my version?
- Any way to manual save instead of autosave?
- Everything is just super laggy. There's about a half second in controller lag, huge hiccups when bashing down door and opening suitcases...wtf? Is it just me?

It's fun, I just wish I had a usable map and didn't feel like I'm controlling a molasses drenched character.

Do you have the game installed?

Haven't opened my 360 copy yet. Wondering if I should expect the same.

Salsa

Ploid 3.0 said:
What engine is this on? Think there's possibilities for mods (PC)?

Chrome 5. First game to use it. I remember Sniper: Ghost Warrior and Nail'd used Chrome 4. Not so sure on mods but its doable, the question is if the community would bother.

edit: beaten

codhand

Finding quest paths with a group is awkward. Playing on PS3 slim, put 4 hrs in, crashed twice, had to reboot both times, they happened back to back. Still having fun playing with friends though.

Game runs much better than this morning, but I am wondering if that's because I turned off Co-op functionality. I'm mid-Chapter 2 so I suppose it's not that bad. Never figured out how to start from "beginning of chapter". Not sure, the combat isn't terrible, but I'm starting to get bored with the quest structure. Lots of fetching. I'm still shocked at the decision to keep auto-save/checkpoint in this game.

For 30 bucks I'm not that distraught over it all but I probably would have waited because it just hasn't hooked me fully, yet. Maybe it will at some point.

yeah the game is pretty awesome. although, i played through chapters 1 last night, came back tonight and everything was fine. then i exited and came back an hour later and it restarted me at the prologue.... not sure why but i kept all my money and all my weapons from my prior game. then when i reached the end of the prologue it took my weapons away but i got to keep my money. lulz

Voidguts

waiting for word on if you can/how to change the FOV before I pick this up.. really sensitive to motion sickness in FPS games. :\

Plissken

I had the stuttering issues when I started tonight. Updated my drivers (Radeon 5770) and that seemed to fix the stuttering. Couldn't ever get into an online game with my friend through regular connection. However, we hopped on Hamachi, started a LAN game, and it worked flawlessly. Once we got in a game, with our drivers updated, everything was fine.

Hopefully Techland can iron out all the issues, because there is a very fun game under all the bugs. When it finally worked, me and my friend had a great time roaming the island smashing zombie faces in. :)

see5harp

Okay not going to dispute the jenk but 4 player coop is pretty damn fun. Getting 4 guys together to offer a compton style beatdown on a bikini zombie in a circle is great fun.

EDIT: I'd also like to add that a shit ton of people are playing this coop right now on 360. I got into multiple parties of 4 or more people and everyone was playing Dead Island. I didn't really expect this game to sell but everyone seems to think this is great fun. So far it seems a lot like Dead Rising without the stress induced time limits in the Fallout engine.

JambiBum

DownWithTheShip said:
Do you have the game installed?

Haven't opened my 360 copy yet. Wondering if I should expect the same.
I have mine installed and haven't had any problems whatsoever. But it sounds like it's just his copy

My biggest gripe with the game is the map. Why can't they have a map that tells me where everything is. If you're not going to give me objective markers for side quests, at least give me locations so I can figure out where they are.

Derrick01

Banned
So yeah the game seems to be running great for me now. I redownloaded it though I probably didn't have to, but the chopping and majority of the pop in is gone.

The pixelated shadows are still there on the characters but I can live with that.

Zimbardo

setting Co Op to 'LAN' instead of 'Internet' fixed the stuttering for me.

hope they get that fixed really soon.

i'm lvl 9 now. game is really cool ...reminds me of Fallout 3 and Borderlands.

B-Dex

canadian crowe said:
My biggest gripe with the game is the map. Why can't they have a map that tells me where everything is. If you're not going to give me objective markers for side quests, at least give me locations so I can figure out where they are.

Make the quest the active quest. If it's for random quests like get 5 waters, the water will be marked with a hand symbol on the mini-map when you're near some.

Holy shit, this game is pure fun. Very atmospheric.

There's nothing more satisifying than jump kicking a zombie in the face as it runs at you full speed - smack! I can't believe it took me as long as it did to try jumping then kicking.

360 version here. Runs great no issues at all.

B-Dex said:
Make the quest the active quest. If it's for random quests like get 5 waters, the water will be marked with a hand symbol on the mini-map when you're near some.
Im finding that it marks some quests but not others. Like
find the concierge

Picked up this game today and I'm having a blast. Only hiccups so far are of course the pop ups and weapons/items being a bit tricky to pick up off the ground in certain particular spots after being thrown/dropped. The combat is surprisingly fun and I haven't even scratched the surface as far as leveling up and weapon creation so I'm definitely looking forward to what's in store for me later on. Oh and it never hurts to have every single one of your female characters built like Amber Rose ;) And for those who've already logged in a considerable amount of time into the game I have just one thing to say....
**** that Teddy Bear!!! lol

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
360 version has been great so far. I might just try it solo for the first play because the atmosphere is a lot better than I anticipated. Going to try analog fighting next session.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Zimbardo said:
setting Co Op to 'LAN' instead of 'Internet' fixed the stuttering for me.

hope they get that fixed really soon.

i'm lvl 9 now. game is really cool ...reminds me of Fallout 3 and Borderlands.

well whenever this is fully working im going to be hooked absolutely loved borderlands.

Teknoman

No stuttering for me anymore. "The Lost" side quest still seems like it doesnt have a marker, while other sidequests do?

Edit: Figured out how to do special attacks with KB/M (just aim for the head with a weapon you specialize in). Still like gamepad controls more (same happened to me with Borderlands) but im going to stick with KB/M if they never fix the issue with not being able to chat.

Flunkie

Banned
Okay so I turned off coop, played SP for a bit, then turned it back on. No stuttering. Running fine.

Knocking on wood and having a blast. I'm just going to keep playin Xian because that's the only character I've made so far that doesn't make the game stutter. Wish I was playing as Sam because blunt objects seem cool, but hey.. I can sprint in heels! Who do you voodoo now, bitch?!

Teknoman said:
No stuttering for me anymore. "The Lost" side quest still seems like it doesnt have a marker, while other sidequests do?
Yep. Same here. I can't figure out how to get in there, either. I climbed up the ramp and looked for an entrance from above like I told you on Steam, but no luck. Seems that this quest is bugged, because I'd almost bet it has something to do with those breakers behind the steam.

Oh! And I initially hated analog controls. I've used them exclusively post-patch and I've grown to like them quite a bit. I just have problems with losing the lock on targets sometimes.

Top Bottom