• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

Cutwolf

DrBo42 said:
There is no new version. That whole "the release version is now on Steam" thing is bullshit. It's the exact same game with a few files removed. Hopefully we get an actual patch today or tomorrow. Today if they know what's good for them.

Well, that technically makes it a new version.

Regardless, matchmaking worked for me pre-new version/patch. Fix one thing, break another.

Have the devs commented on this issue yet?

jet1911 said:
It'S a skill you need to unlock. It's in the "Survivor" skill tree I think. Near the top.

Any idea how useful it really is? I'm about level 6 and so far have run across like 2 boxes that are locked. If I'm going to drop a skill point into unlocking it, I want to at least make sure it's a useful skill to have. :)

Xanathus

KoreanBarbecue said:
Any idea how useful it really is? I'm about level 6 and so far have run across like 2 boxes that are locked. If I'm going to drop a skill point into unlocking it, I want to at least make sure it's a useful skill to have. :)
A reviewer mentioned that it was useless, I'm inclined to agree early on in the game.

tjohn86 said:
The only bug I've encountered is that stairs seem to be completely broken. I almost got stuck in an underground bathroom.

Also, has anyone had any luck finding a metal scrap? I need 2 to build my ripper mod and I have never seen one. Seems odd.

I've encountered this bug as well in the 360 version during a quest.
the quest where you have to turn on the lighthouse breakers.
I couldn't get back up the stairs and had to leave the co-op game I was in and rejoin.

As for the metal scrap, check in computer towers or trash cans

KoreanBarbecue said:

I have level 3 lockpick and the loot you get from the locked boxes is trash(at least during co-op play).

Spend your skill points elsewhere

ii Stryker said:
I have level 3 lockpick and the loot you get from the locked boxes is trash(at least during co-op play).

Spend your skill points elsewhere

Good to know. I'm currently playing as Xian, so i'll just keep pumping my skill points into weapon durability.

Fox1304

Are the special edition and the day one edition the same ?
About to buy the game, so I'll take any good offer too of course :)

Zafir

I've been having to use lan programs to play MP on Dead Island thanks to the servers/matchmaking seemingly dying.

-BLITZ-

I thought of something like that I will find, although noticing there are locked, I was thinking you will find weapon mods or parts of them. Thank you for clarifying this information.

tjohn86

ii Stryker said:
I've encountered this bug as well in the 360 version during a quest.
the quest where you have to turn on the lighthouse breakers.
I couldn't get back up the stairs and had to leave the co-op game I was in and rejoin.

As for the metal scrap, check in computer towers or trash cans

Computers always have batteries , trash cans I find all sorts of stuff but never metal. Bummer.

Wow the game is awesome (PC version). So happy I bought this. Haven't encountered any technical problems yet. I hope that day one debacle doesn't taint the image of the game too much because it's running flawlessly for me and it looks SO good graphically for a huge game like this. What I mean is look at the textures and character models and detail... the fucking couches and baggage and random objects have very sharp, high-res textures. You never see that in an enormous Fallout-esque game like this (just look at Fallout). The character models and lighting are also really nice. I've got this maxed at 1080p and it's a beautiful game considering the scope of it. Game must have took them like 3-4 years to develop.

Anyway, loving the premise so far and am totally loving the loot aspect. So much stuff to pick up lol. This is a dream game... a survival zombie Fallout open-worldish game that's realistic in its use of weapons and items and takes place in a huge, bright, colorful tropical island, all with 4-player online co-op? Fuck yes! This premise is like a thread you'd read on Gamefaqs asking about what would be your fantasy game... except it's actually real and it's really fucking good.

Fuck USPS. Had my mail being forwarded the last two months as I have been gone due to my wife having a physical therapy internship near my parents. Supposed to have ended last week. Stil haven't gotten any mail. Just talked to our mailman, they have it down as a permanent address change. Going to be pissed if this and Warhammer end up at my parents house. We'll find out tomorrow. He said he'd take care of it. He gets a fucking Christmas bonus if I get my games tomorrow.

/Venting.

Sullichin

So, Zombies and items respawn?

I think the game's biggest issue is going to be repetition. I'm not very far into the game at all, and I feel like I've experienced all of the gameplay mechanics already.

This is kind of a stupid question, so I apologize, but is the game 'meant' to be played SP or coop? I am probably sure it might be more fun in coop, but I wonder how the game was designed at heart, if that means anything. Also, how does a story mode work with coop? I mean, if people have different progress point and stuff like that? I have never played a coop game except with friends, in which case we just played start to finish, but mission-based kind of game (like borderlands) i am not sure how they work.

after tweaking the video file to enable vsync, this game is running great on my PC. its a lot of fun! kb/m controls need work though, I am playing with the dualshock 3 and it really seems like a great fit for the game especially with analog combat. anyhow, the game is very good so far.

KingOfKong said:
after tweaking the video file to enable vsync, this game is running great on my PC. its a lot of fun! kb/m controls need work though, I am playing with the dualshock 3 and it really seems like a great fit for the game especially with analog combat. anyhow, the game is very good so far.
I agree about the controller. I'm using a 360 windows wireless controller and it's working great so far. The analog melee combat took a few mins to get used to but it's a lot of fun now.

jet1911

harriet the spy said:
This is kind of a stupid question, so I apologize, but is the game 'meant' to be played SP or coop? I am probably sure it might be more fun in coop, but I wonder how the game was designed at heart, if that means anything. Also, how does a story mode work with coop? I mean, if people have different progress point and stuff like that? I have never played a coop game except with friends, in which case we just played start to finish, but mission-based kind of game (like borderlands) i am not sure how they work.
I'm playing alone and I'm having a lot of fun! :)

Sullichin said:
Kind of upset that I'm locked into only making blunt weapons useful, oh well...

I'm playing as SamB and I'm loving it. I've put most all of my skill points into combat with some in survival. I've spent nothing on Fury...yet.

For me, because of the co-op and the RPG stuff, this is the best zombie game EVER.

KorrZ

harriet the spy said:

I've been playing completely alone and have been absolutely loving the experience. If you enjoy exploring then you'll really appreciate the world and all the little things there are to see. I think either way you play it you'll end up having a good time. If you play co-op you'll have you buddies to laugh and smash in zombie skulls while doing the ludicrous amount of quests (Borderlands comparissons are spot on). If you play single player you gain a good bit of atmosphere, really backed up by the sound design. The zombies all sound absolutely disgusting and genuinely creepy. Definitely wasn't expecting it from this game but it can really be surprisingly unsettling when playing solo.

Dan Yo

Banned
harriet the spy said:
It's pretty weird. The game is obviously more fun to play with good co-op partners and has been mostly advertised as a co-op experience, but the story plays out as if it is single player. Meaning any one of the 4 players can go accept a quest the quest-giver will speak to them like they're the only person there. Which makes neither singleplayer or co-op fully satisfying and is kind of stupid if I do say so myself.

I hope the next one takes a few more cues from the L4D franchise and comes up with a better system for dying rather than just unlimited respawns, as well as handles the story a bit better and pays more attention to the 4 players as individual characters.

Anyway, to answer your question, it seems perfectly adequate as a singleplayer experience from what I've played of the game. Like I said, the way the story is done makes it seem almost like that's the way it was originally intended.

Dan Yo

Banned
ironcreed said:
I plan to roll alone in this game as well. I just think it will add more to the overall tension and survival aspect.
How do they treat deaths in singleplayer? Are there unlimited resapwns like in co-op or do they start you back at a checkpoint?

DrBo42

ironcreed said:
I plan to roll alone in this game as well. I just think it will add more to the overall tension and survival aspect.
It definitely does. I got lost on my own and man is it a huge change from the coop experience. I've never felt more exposed and in danger than wandering around alone in this game.

LProtag

So basically from what I'm hearing from GB is that you should be playing in analog fight mode. Is it that hard to get used to?

DrBo42

InsertNameHere said:
So basically from what I'm hearing from GB is that you should be playing in analog fight mode. Is it that hard to get used to?
Takes a few minutes but makes the game ultimately more enjoyable.

ironcreed

Banned
DrBo42 said:
It definitely does. I got lost on my own and man is it a huge change from the coop experience. I've never felt more exposed and in danger than wandering around alone in this game.

That is what I like to hear. My copy should be here in a couple of days. Looking forward to getting lost in this one after I beat Space Marine.

Peterthumpa

So, changing the video.scr file I can't enable AA and the game is a jaggy fest even @ 1080p.

Did anyone found out how to enable it? FXAA hack seems to be not working too.

NVIDIA Inspector?

Maddness

Man, a shaky start on release, but I'm fucking loving this game. What a surprise! I'm a huge co-op person though. I love playing co-op based games. So it's like a win win for me. I spent 30 minutes laughing with some friends at the insane ways we just beat up zombies. I probably spent 5 minutes punching this fat guy in the face in a rage. It was great. We also sort of make up our own stories as we go for why we're on the island and what we're trying to do. Right now it's sort of a Hot Tub Time Machine type thing.

KorrZ

InsertNameHere said:

It took me a good bit of time to get used to the analog controls, but Brad wasn't lying about it being way more satisfying. It makes getting swarmed by zombies so much more tense.

KageMaru

Neuromancer said:
Thanks for the tip, not going to bother then.

I've been playing co-op with Stryker and to be fair, I think the reason he has found junk mostly is because we have been playing in my game, where I'm a lower level.

I think there's a possibility that lock picking could be a good skill when your level gets high and high level/grade weapons start appearing in the game.

Sullichin

Why cant I change my game lobby mode OUT of playstation network from the pause screen? Wtf is the point of even giving me this option if I have to quit out of the game to use any of these menu items???

Enco

Just ordered it for £9 and a bit (had a load of credit from referrals and a 20% off coupon).

GMG rocks.

Hopefully it's good.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Just hit level 10, 13% complete. Fucking in LOVE with this game. Best zombie game ever, for me.

Even the respawning zombies isn't bothering me. Basically, I treat it like other zombies just roam into areas previously cleared. As far as I can tell, it's always a random mix of different zombies anyway, not the same ones in the same spots.

I did hit one minor design annoyance: a wooden wall with a gate you can't open nor swim around (it's near the beach). I ended up going way around and made it to the other side, but you couldn't open the gate from that direction either. Very odd. Maybe it comes into play at some point, but I'm inclined to chalk it up to a design fluke.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
InsertNameHere said:

What is "analog fight mode"? How does it work? Is that the default method when playing on a PC with the 360 controller?

Dan Yo said:
It's pretty weird. The game is obviously more fun to play with good co-op partners and has been mostly advertised as a co-op experience, but the story plays out as if it is single player. Meaning any one of the 4 players can go accept a quest the quest-giver will speak to them like they're the only person there. Which makes neither singleplayer or co-op fully satisfying and is kind of stupid if I do say so myself.

I hope the next one takes a few more cues from the L4D franchise and comes up with a better system for dying rather than just unlimited respawns, as well as handles the story a bit better and pays more attention to the 4 players as individual characters.

Anyway, to answer your question, it seems perfectly adequate as a singleplayer experience from what I've played of the game. Like I said, the way the story is done makes it seem almost like that's the way it was originally intended.

Yeah I popped it in for the first time last night, played just the prologue, and then immediately jumped into a co-op game with friends. It's definitely fun to gang up on zombies, but I must admit I had no clue what the hell was going on, where we were going, or why. The compass markers appeared intermittently, but since I didn't know what quest we were doing, I just followed everyone else. Quest givers would give me the "Hey thanks" speech, then follow up with "I'm still waiting for you to do X". I also kept getting the message "THIS QUEST WILL NOT BE WRITTEN TO YOUR PROFILE" which doesn't sound promising. Honestly I think I'd want to re-start alone and jump into co-op later, to help lower level folks. Not sure how to break it to my co-op pals though. Maybe I'll just do two playthroughs.

Enco

Diseased Yak said:
Just hit level 10, 13% complete. Fucking in LOVE with this game. Best zombie game ever, for me.

Even the respawning zombies isn't bothering me. Basically, I treat it like other zombies just roam into areas previously cleared. As far as I can tell, it's always a random mix of different zombies anyway, not the same ones in the same spots.

I did hit one minor design annoyance: a wooden wall with a gate you can't open nor swim around (it's near the beach). I ended up going way around and made it to the other side, but you couldn't open the gate from that direction either. Very odd. Maybe it comes into play at some point, but I'm inclined to chalk it up to a design fluke.
What's your play time?

Teknoman

FlyinJ said:
What is "analog fight mode"? How does it work? Is that the default method when playing on a PC with the 360 controller?
Its not default, but the right stick acts as the character's arms.

The whole "Go into Fury mode" thing has me a bit confused. I don't know what the visual cue is when I get Fury, or how to activate it. (PS3 version.) I thought I just hit a button (circle) when it became active, but nothing happened.

I'm also regretting my decision to use the firearms chick. I found one gun early on, but I can't even use it until I hit level 10. (6 right now.) And I'm not crazy about her skill tree. I'm tempted to start over but I've already put in a good 6 hours into this. Blah.

Top Bottom