• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

IronRinn

Got a physical copy of this yesterday from Amazon, but activated on Steam and downloaded the fixed/actual retail version. Played for 30 minutes or so and didn't notice any problems. Hope they open up some advanced graphics option because I have plenty of headroom. Afterburner had me running at an average of 140 fps.

tjohn86

Played 5 hours so far. This game is awesome I hope the initial problems don't put people off.

The only bug I've encountered is that stairs seem to be completely broken. I almost got stuck in an underground bathroom.

Also, has anyone had any luck finding a metal scrap? I need 2 to build my ripper mod and I have never seen one. Seems odd.

Derrick01

Banned
Game's starting to pick up a little bit now that I grabbed a bunch of side quests. I can't stop looking at the environment though, the outdoor areas are stunning to look at on max settings. Really impressive considering the requirements are somewhat low other than RAM.

Truant

Adding AA via the Video config file doesn't work after the latest patch. The FXAA mod that somebody posted a thread about works fine, though.

codhand

Lens of Truth says the PS3 version looks better. But the 360 version still runs better. PS3 version has nicer looking textures, is sharper, but doesn't run as smooth as the 360 version

Sounds bout right

d1rtn4p

tjohn86 said:
Played 5 hours so far. This game is awesome I hope the initial problems don't put people off.

The only bug I've encountered is that stairs seem to be completely broken. I almost got stuck in an underground bathroom.

Also, has anyone had any luck finding a metal scrap? I need 2 to build my ripper mod and I have never seen one. Seems odd.

Seems to be random but there was some metal scrap in the same room where you find the first workbench

Are you guys who are just delighted with it on PC not playing coop? It's still completely broken for me. Even the Send Invites button is unresponsive.

tjohn86

d1rtn4p said:
Seems to be random but there was some metal scrap in the same room where you find the first workbench

Hmm I search every room so thoroughly. God I hope its not some item spawn bug.

PaulLFC

Just bought
3AQmK.gif
preloading now!

£23.96 from GreenManGaming using the voucher code READY-UPDEA-ISLAN

DryvBy

Shurs said:
So, IGN says the 360 version is the superior console option, but Lens of Truth says the opposite.

Who to trust?

I really don't see how the game can run better on the 360. It played just fine on the PS3 for me outside of a few sound issues and tearing every now and then (nothing that made my eyes hurt).

DrBo42

bluedeviltron said:
Are you guys who are just delighted with it on PC not playing coop? It's still completely broken for me. Even the Send Invites button is unresponsive.
If you see that, it means matchmaking is currently down. Many are thinking the coop functionality/constant player search might have been the cause of the stuttering, so they're probably trying to rectify the situation. I seriously doubt it won't be fixed today.

Edit: Played with a few friends yesterday and even a few from GAF, it's great fun in terms of coop. Only major bummer is that zombies spawn in the exact same area, and do the exact same thing. See a zombie beating on a door? It'll be there the next time you load the game, banging on that same door. Lame. They seriously need to look into random spawning in the future. Call up the L4D team and get some director action going.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Game sure does look great and run well. Getting 150-200+ fps at all times.

I'm completely addicted as well, can't stop doing quests. Very fun game.

Amneisac

Why are people calling this game underrated? I think it's going to sell pretty well and it got decent reviews. It's just a hot mess of bullshit on the PC right now. I did enjoy the 45 seconds (of 59 minutes played time) I actually spent hitting zombies with an oar, though.

Luigi87 said:
Didn't see posted yet:
Today's Penny-Arcade strip
http://penny-arcade.smugmug.com/photos/i-NxLX5dX/0/L/i-NxLX5dX-XL.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Two pages back.

I'm also not sure why people are saying it's underrated. Given the launch, it got the same treatment the publisher gave it. I want to get this game, but I don't feel like having to turn a blind eye to it being janky.

DrBo42 said:
If you see that, it means matchmaking is currently down. Many are thinking the coop functionality/constant player search might have been the cause of the stuttering, so they're probably trying to rectify the situation. I seriously doubt it won't be fixed today.

Edit: Played with a few friends yesterday and even a few from GAF, it's great fun in terms of coop. Only major bummer is that zombies spawn in the exact same area, and do the exact same thing. See a zombie beating on a door? It'll be there the next time you load the game, banging on that same door. Lame. They seriously need to look into random spawning in the future. Call up the L4D team and get some director action going.

I couldn't get my MP issues worked out last night after you asked me about it. I also ran into some of the stuttering bug, but a quick restart fixed that for the rest of the night.

Loving this game so far, although I wish it was a bit more 'grim.' Again, if anyone wants to do some MP, add me on Steam. ID: ageis

KageMaru

One of my favorite aspects of the game is the tension it creates. Was playing with 2 friends last night, as we got to a new urban area of the game, our party got split up. My heart was in my throat when I realized I was alone, nearly dead, and my closest teammate was a few blocks away. Nothing like running for your life while the undead is rampaging behind you. Hearing a zombie howl in that game still creeps me out a little and I'm never effected by games and movies. Condemned was the only other game this gen to make me feel this way, and that's a compliment to DI.

DMPrince said:
how long is story? when i made it to the lighthouse tower it was
8%
complete. story seems short.

Forget which one, but one of the reviewers skipped all the side missions after Act 1 and it took him 20 hours to beat (or was it 25?). 20-25 hours seemed to be the consistent play through time in most reviews from what I saw and we have no idea how many side missions they did.

IIRC my party was ~17% through the game last night and we put in 14 or so hours.

DryvBy2 said:
I really don't see how the game can run better on the 360. It played just fine on the PS3 for me outside of a few sound issues and tearing every now and then (nothing that made my eyes hurt).

While I'm hesitant to believe one runs better than the other, it's possible that while both versions run well, one version (360 possibly in this case) has less frame rate drops and less tearing. This would indicate it runs better while not necessarily saying the ps3 version runs poorly.

I wouldn't be surprised if the PS3 version had slightly better shaders (only took a quick peak but the textures looked the same, it's the shaders that I question on the 360 version) while the 360 version may have slightly better performance. That's just a quick guess judging from the impressions here and some pics.

Basically both versions have their positives and drawbacks. How much it matters depends on your preference (some people are immune to tearing for example) or your console bias (PS3 version is crappy if your a 360 fanboy or the 360 version is the crappy version if your a PS3 fanboy for example).

I've got a question for everyone else playing here...

When you talk to a person who buys/sell stuff, is there any way to sort/see what weapons you currently have equipped so you don't accidentally sell something you want to keep? So far it seems that weapons are just listed, with no designation as to whether they're currently equipped or not.

KageMaru

KoreanBarbecue said:
I've got a question for everyone else playing here...

When you talk to a person who buys/sell stuff, is there any way to sort/see what weapons you currently have equipped so you don't accidentally sell something you want to keep? So far it seems that weapons are just listed, with no designation as to whether they're currently equipped or not.

Not from what I could see which sucks big time.

"Waaata!!" I love Xian Mei's flying front kick.
4-player campaign co-op games, so awesome with friends.
Dead Island is this year's Left4Dead/Borderlands-like shining star.

tjohn86

Neuromancer said:
I'd say it's basically Borderlands + Dead Rising + Fallout 3 + Far Cry 2. In other words, it's awesome.

The combat feels a little like Condemned to me. Not quite as good but close.

tjohn86

Yeah 8%. Was just about to advance the story and then I found another set of survivors with all new side quests.

Anyone know what level you need to be to get lock pick? Leaving these crates unopened is killing me.

DryvBy

Neuromancer said:
I'd say it's basically Borderlands + Dead Rising + Fallout 3 + Far Cry 2. In other words, it's awesome.
Don't forget a beat em up. Brass knuckles made me feel like I was playing a FPS version of Streets of Rage or Double Dragon.

Cutwolf

Is anyone else unable to find any coop games? When I first start a game, it says failed to create internet session, and when I go to the lobby, it finds no games. Used to work just fine.

DrBo42

Cutwolf said:
Is anyone else unable to find any coop games? When I first start a game, it says failed to create internet session, and when I go to the lobby, it finds no games. Used to work just fine.
Matchmaking is down. We need to update the thread title or something so people know it's not just them.

Cutwolf

DrBo42 said:
Matchmaking is down. We need to update the thread title or something so people know it's not just them.

You'd think after their release fiasco, they'd make sure everything worked when they released the new version. Whomp.

wwm0nkey

Pretty much everything but the story of this game is amazing.

Really hope we will see a Dead Island 2 at some point in time just with a better story though.

DrBo42

Cutwolf said:
You'd think after their release fiasco, they'd make sure everything worked when they released the new version. Whomp.
There is no new version. That whole "the release version is now on Steam" thing is bullshit. It's the exact same game with a few files removed. Hopefully we get an actual patch today or tomorrow. Today if they know what's good for them.

KageMaru said:
Forget which one, but one of the reviewers skipped all the side missions after Act 1 and it took him 20 hours to beat (or was it 25?). 20-25 hours seemed to be the consistent play through time in most reviews from what I saw and we have no idea how many side missions they did.

IIRC my party was ~17% through the game last night and we put in 14 or so hours.
Sounds good. So i guess sidequest doesn't affect main story then. I wish i could kill the NPC just for fun like in Deus ex lol.

jet1911

tjohn86 said:
Yeah 8%. Was just about to advance the story and then I found another set of survivors with all new side quests.

Anyone know what level you need to be to get lock pick? Leaving these crates unopened is killing me.

It'S a skill you need to unlock. It's in the "Survivor" skill tree I think. Near the top.

Top Bottom