• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

Prodigal

Banned
mxgt said:
Yeah it's fine with pad but I stutter badly with keyboard. would appreciate that link

Here

Enter the Ease of access centre (this can be accessed through Accessories after clicking Start), then click 'Make the Keyboard Easier to use'

Click 'Set Filter Keys'.

Click 'Set up Filter Keys'.

Click 'Turn on Repeat Keys and Slow Keys',and then on 'Set up Repeat Keys and Slow Keys'. Select the option to ignore all repeated keystrokes, and reduce the time option at the top to 0.0 seconds.

Go back.

Ensure that 'Turn on Filter Keys' is ticked at the top and apply. Dead Island now runs smoothly, when you're done, untick the box and apply.

The M.O.B said:
Just got a rare Orange Sledgehammer earlier today...........OMG Best weapon in the game thus far.

The force on it is like 800 which sends zombies flying, this is way too fun.

Awesome. I'm playing as Sam and am looking forward to taking advantage of weapons like that later on.

Also, I'm pretty sure lock picking is a skill that comes later in Survivalist category.

Akkad

Banned
ezekial45 said:
How am i supposed to pick locks? I'm playing as Sam B and i've come across about 7 or so chests that need lockpicking. Is it a skill i'll get later? Or is it a character specific ability.

It should be in the Survival skill tree, however some people say the loot is worthless early in the game.

Teknoman

Flunkie said:
What?! I'm the best driver there is. I was just killing time ramping the other truck while you guys did you quest stuff. :p

I'm a good driver.

Lol im just bitter about getting clotheslined by the passenger side door. Probably shouldnt have jumped out at full speed.

Screenshots:

D01278A47CCFD1E8A5AAC8344655D5B34AD3AD2F

14B16656838CCD8D54D2FCB42FE4E2BC85BC4DA2

321EB5B64B2A7A9DFFFA685B68FDAFDCCDB94CFE

0F08EEAFFAB2A819045CA2C1ADA1350742BC80F8

PaulLFC

Is there a way to turn off the constant notifications of "X is nearby, press to join"? I just want to play single player first before playing multi. Had a look in the options menu, but all of the Internet options which seem like they'd disable the notifications are unselectable.

I wish I could start playing this on PC but it makes my gtx590 get so hot.
Like temps in the 90's and in order to counteract that the fan needs to spin to fast and loud.

Waiting on my water cooling parts to arrive :(

eshwaaz

Derrick01 said:
because that's the reason why it was set that low to begin with?
Ah, I see. So that justifies the "console peasant" comment, then? I bet if I started using the term "arrogant PC dickwaver" the mods would ban me in a heartbeat.

PaulLFC said:
Is there a way to turn off the constant notifications of "X is nearby, press to join"? I just want to play single player first before playing multi. Had a look in the options menu, but all of the Internet options which seem like they'd disable the notifications are unselectable.

Quit out of your current game, then go to the menu and select single player. Can't be changed mid game.

Twinduct

eshwaaz said:
Ah, I see. So that justifies the "console peasant" comment, then? I bet if I started using the term "arrogant PC dickwaver" the mods would ban me in a heartbeat.

Well it would be an interesting experiment :p

Teknoman

eshwaaz said:
Ah, I see. So that justifies the "console peasant" comment, then? I think I'll start using the term "arrogant PC dickwaver" and see how long the mods put up with it.

Just use this:

2iivkid.gif

Derrick01

Banned
eshwaaz said:
Ah, I see. So that justifies the "console peasant" comment, then? I think I'll start using the term "arrogant PC dickwaver" and see how long the mods put up with it.

Go for it. It was created as a joke but no one can logically argue that consoles are the superior gaming platform so a lot of PC gamers use it as more than a joke.

I think it gets let go a lot of times because so many console games and developers have harmed PC gamers. We're a battered bunch of people.

PaulLFC

Sutton Dagger said:
Quit out of your current game, then go to the menu and select single player. Can't be changed mid game.
Thanks. My game type says single player now, I'm still getting the notifications though for some reason. Maybe there's no way to disable them?

Edit: Think I might have sorted it. I changed the visibility setting from Internet to LAN before I switched to single player mode and that seems to have got rid of the notifications.

TGMIII

eshwaaz said:

Or maybe, you know, people are joking.

JambiBum

R1CHO said:
In the city. You can find shotgun and assault rifle in the city. I found one golden/yellow shotgun in the armory of the police station.
How do you get into the police station? Buddy and I tried to find a way in and we couldn't

eshwaaz

awwyeahgurrl said:
Or maybe, you know, people are joking.
Sure, it's possible. But when "jokes" of that ilk appear ad nauseam in practically every thread for a game released on both PC and console, it gets really, really old. I don't think my "arrogant PC dickwaver" "joke" in multiple threads would be met with smiles and good-natured laughter.

PaulLFC

So, just to clarify: the "copy and extract the data file and edit the xml file" method of changing the FOV doesn't cause any VAC problems, right?

Just got done with a pretty long session of co-op, awesome fun game, everything has been fixed for me except the slow ass mouse speed in menus.

Stitch said:
driving with a higher fov is soooo much better. fuck the default console peasant fov!

Considering the vitriol in your post, it's bizarre that would select one of the most celebrated console characters of all time as your avatar. Mario is ashamed that you have forgotten your peasant roots.

d0c_zaius

eshwaaz said:
Sure, it's possible. But when "jokes" of that ilk appear ad nauseam in practically every thread for a game released on both PC and console, it gets really, really old. I don't think my "arrogant PC dickwaver" "joke" in multiple threads would be met with smiles and good-natured laughter.

Cause its not funny

Stitch

Gold Member
:p the fov in mario games is always good enough ^^

TheVampire said:
Like temps in the 90's and in order to counteract that the fan needs to spin to fast and loud.

you need to force vsync. the stupid game runs with over 100 frames per second, 300 in the menus, that's why your card gets hot.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
I just can't believe that they still haven't fixed:

- Micro stutter from using keyboard
- "Use" key permanently bound to "F"
- Low mouse sensitivity in menus

I discovered those three things within 5 minutes of playing the game! Did they even test the game on PC I wonder...

ezekial45

Banned
Did the Bloody Valentine quest glitch for anyone else? I failed it on accident, but now when i try going back to the girl she won't enter my vehicle. She just stands there.

JCV

Unconfirmed Member
TheVampire said:

Same thing happened to me with my GTX 570 until I turned on VSync. Now the temperature seems much more reasonnable

eshwaaz said:
Since you see fit to derail this thread with your indignation I have to say I hope you try it.

PaulLFC

Edited the FOV now using the Reddit method a page back, set it to 82.5, much better. Also forced AA, Vsync and Triple buffering through Nvidia Control Panel, haven't played enough after doing that to see how much difference it makes, but the game runs great. And so far, it's fantastic to play. Loving it.

Card Boy

Banned
eshwaaz said:
Seriously, why is this kind of flagrant console-bashing elitist bullshit acceptable?
eshwaaz said:

LOL you getting offended as if you guys are a "race" or "religion". Calm down man it's only abit of electronic hardware.

SuperÑ

OptionN, ShiftN
ezekial45 said:
Did the Bloody Valentine quest glitch for anyone else? I failed it on accident, but now when i try going back to the girl she won't enter my vehicle. She just stands there.

Yes, i left her by the apartment, did another sidequest and came back. Then she followed me into the car.

vaelic

Banned
GhostRidah said:
Anyway to turn off bloom?

ir3ao2OMm0R42.jpg
video ini file

Resolution(1920,1080)
Monitor(0)
BPP(24)
FSAA(16)
TexBPP(32)
TextureQuality("High")
Filtering("AnisotropicTrilinear")
Fullscreen()
Shadows("High")
ShadowMapSize(1024)
SpotShadowMapSize(2048)
Lightmaps()
GammaFloat(0.80)
MaxRefresh(120)
MaterialQuality(3)
FXQuality(3)
FXFadeLevel(3)
WaterQuality(3)
GrassQuality(0)
EnvQuality("FullDynamic")
ShaderPath(3)
VSync()
DisplayDeviceType(0,0.000000,1.000000,1.000000,1.0 00000)

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Would like someone to co-op on PS3 with over the weekend... my newest character is like lvl 4 or 5. Looking for someone in my ballpark +/- a couple levels, and who doesn't rush through the game too much.

PSN is same as gaf tag, if interested.

Peagles

eshwaaz said:

I agree, it does get tiring. Just take solace in the fact that a) most people are probably saying stuff like that to get a rise, and b) there's at least one person who games on PC who thinks the console vs. PC "war" is lame (that's me).

Back on topic, really loving Dead Island so far. I've only put in about 45 minutes and still trying to work out the menus and stuff but I like it so far. It's like Fallout meets Left 4 Dead. I think I'm going to really enjoy this once I can get my buddies in on co-op.

That and I'm pleasantly surprised to report that it runs perfectly fine on my PC. No glitches or bugs so far and the only thing I can complain about is the huge drop in sensitivity in the menus - I can adjust with mouse buttons on the fly but it's still a little annoying.

TheHakku

Found it weird that a couple trophies I got didn't pop up when I got them. Quit out, continued the game again, and so much of my progress was lost. I'm done until I see a patch.

eshwaaz

Has Deep Silver/Techland released any more info on when the save game issues will be addressed? I've owned the game since Tuesday and the positive impressions here have me dying to try it, but I don't want to even start until that issue is fixed.
Gez said:
LOL you getting offended as if you guys are a "race" or "religion". Calm down man it's only abit of electronic hardware.
Like the PC master race? :p Okay, I'm done.

My apologies to everyone for the derail; it's not typically part of my nature. All further posts will be topic-relevant.

Oh my god...this game. I can't stop playing. It's SOO good. I'm doing every quest. The melee combat is the best ever in a first-person game.

Check out this weap I bought for 2k: "Devastating Cleaver", and it's name is purple. I love the loot aspect of this game, it's a huge element and even has color-coded rares.

http://i.imgur.com/BNrHD.jpg

I'm only lvl 9 and it did 200 damage without upgrades then I upgraded it 4 times and it does 300 damage. It's glorious and chops heads and limbs off like they're made of jello.

vaelic

Banned
GhostRidah said:
Anyway to turn off bloom?

]
Originally Posted by Yrch View Post
and how did you remove the blur?

same as for FOV
so you need to create a 'scripts' folder extract the varlist_blur_camera_motion.scr from the Data0.pak file
Data\Scripts\varlist_blur_camera_motion.scr
edit in a text editor
change all to 0.0 to disable motion blur"

arit

Hey look 4x4 drive:
70CDDFF6F6D395E52312B4BF099E217FA1B725A6

Let's try it out, Dhalsim style!
11AA4C1B09660D1D37316AC7D553C2BA8DC7096E

yeah works, lovely view from up here.
F290054A27C8C51F8D91830361B9F7676EE83A27

god I love this game. If just voicechat, keyboard microstutters and keyboard double bindings would be fixed...

TheVampire said:

What happens when you use furmark then? Does your pc just turn into a puddle of plastic?

No game will ever overheat your pc as long as you have adequate cooling (and the fan doesn't break).
Just like those uncapped menu framerates in sc2 (gasp) won't harm any properly engineered gpu.

If gtx 590s get shipped with inadequate cooling then that is very sad.

Top Bottom