• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

vaelic

Banned
Carm said:
Oh man, if this really works, it saves the game for me. I can't play more than 10 minutes without gettng sick. While this info is great, I think something more important with this link is the youtube video linked in the comments regarind FOV in game design.

This two part video needs to be fucking emailed to basically every developer that makes FPS for pc or ports them to pc.

Part 1
Part 2

Edit: Hrm I haven't received any dlc codes from GMG yet. I wonder since they funked up sending out game keys to, there will be a delay on the dlc key now.
anyone try this yet?

Enco

SneakyStephan said:
+very immersive, I hate that word normally it's always used to bullshit people in 'AAA' games, but here you forget you are playing a game.
When you are loading fuel and juice into the back of your pickup truck after clearing out a gas station and solving environmental puzzles (basic but enjoyable) you feel like you are there and the world is just there.
Oh man that sounds amazing.

Can a car run out of juice in the middle of nowhere? I really hope so. This should happen in more games.

Nelo Ice

Banned
so does the fov fix from reddit work? if so how exactly do u do it?

reading it and im guessing i unpack the data0.pak in the steam dead island folder then extract the data into the skills fold u make inside the dead island folder in my documents?

edit:nvm

Enco said:

Can a car run out of juice in the middle of nowhere? I really hope so. This should happen in more games.
Ah my description was misleading.
No, you are tasked to carry fuel canisters to load up a generator, and juice as sustenance for the survivors, but you place them into the back of the pickup truck (players can take those places too) and drive them back.

The animations + how natural it all feels + the size of the world etc makes you forget you are playing a game. There are no cutscenes for this stuff which I like.
There is no need to refuel cars.
There is also no 'middle of nowhere' the island is very densely packed with buildings and huts and piers and other stuff.

Concept17

Concept17 said:
FOV fix:

Find the data01.pak file in your Dead Island directory. Steam/steamapps/common/dead island/DI

Copy this file elsewhere, extract it using Winrar or Winzip.

Copy default_levels.xml located in Data/Skills

Create folder Data in your Documents/DeadIsland/out directory. Create another folder called Skills inside the Data folder. Paste default_levels.xml here.

Open default_levels.xml. Search for FOV. Change number 65.2 (or whatever default is) to 80-90 or whatever you prefer. Save. Win.

For new page. It works. I hear 82.5 is the preferred setting, as 90 tends to stretch the sides a bit.

Enco said:

No you can't, and cars respawn too so it doesn't matter if you mess up your car either.

Akkad

Banned
Holy shit! I decapitated two zombie who were running at me at the same time, the sickle I have is pretty badass.

Do you start in a different place depending on your character? If not I have yet another reason to think that Giant Bomb is staffed by people who suck at playing video games.

jim-jam bongs said:
Do you start in a different place depending on your character? If not I have yet another reason to think that Giant Bomb is staffed by people who suck at playing video games.

No. Every character starts at the same location (their hotel room)

Mr_Guillotine said:
Anyone interested in selling their second code on PC? I'm kind of looking to get this game.
if you're talking about the second code from GMG those keys will get deactivated.

---
Talking about config.

In Video.Scr.

There's a command for Curves() to curve texture. what exactly does that do. i was thinking it has to do with the fisheye look to the game.

PaulLFC

Darklord said:
Why is GMG still have this as pre-order? Sorry if it's been discussed.
Because it's not "officially" released for another 21 minutes in the UK where GMG are based.

On another note, Steam just unlocked my game half an hour early
3AQmK.gif

Says my game files are 52821% fragmented though
KuGsj.gif

Darklord

Banned
PaulLFC said:
Because it's not "officially" released for another 21 minutes in the UK where GMG are based.

Ah, that would explain it! I might just buy it now then. For $34 I can wait until it gets patched a bit.

ProtoCents said:
No. Every character starts at the same location (their hotel room)

Thought as much. I just remember the guy playing in their quick look saying that the family from the trailer appeared in the game "somewhere" but that he hadn't found them.
They're in the room next to where you start the game.

I want this game on PC so bad, it looks like a lot of fun. Kind of sad it is such a mixed bag of issues on PC or I would buy it right away.

Fourman said:
I want this game on PC so bad, it looks like a lot of fun. Kind of sad it is such a mixed bag of issues on PC or I would buy it right away.

I felt the same way but grabbed it anyway and am playing on my TV with a 360 controller, it's aces. The issues are overblown, once you start playing you realise how many mechanics there are and stop noticing any jankiness. Also, I think that the MP is well and truly fixed now since I've started getting "[PLAYER] is near you, press <= to join" messages in the last half an hour or so.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Game has running perfectly aside from some multiplayer issues. We were having trouble getting everyone into the same game. Tons of "This game session is no longer available" messages.

osu61303

vitaminwateryum said:
Game has running perfectly aside from some multiplayer issues. We were having trouble getting everyone into the same game. Tons of "This game session is no longer available" messages.

Had this problem yesterday with some friends. If you are playing on the 360, it seems to fix itself if all players reboot routers and xboxes. (don't know why it worked but both times it happened that fixed the issue)

Finally got my key today and holy crap I love it. It looks great, plays great, am having no issues technically speaking, and the game is just flat-out fun.

PaulLFC

People who got this from GMG - if you got two codes, which one is the DLC - the first code or the second one? Don't want to accidentally try to activate the second copy of the game in case that causes any problems later since they're getting deactivated...

Just did some 4 player co-op with Teknoman, Flunkie and Vitaminwater, It was pretty awesome. Had a few voice chat issues later in the session but before that it was running fine. EVeryone needs to join the Dead Island steam group.

Max

I am not Max
Amneisac said:
God, I want to fucking disable voice chat in Steam so much, we want to use Skype, anyone know a way to do this?
Set your default recording device to something other than your mic in sounds options, then make sure you have your mic selected in Skype

Teknoman

Sutton Dagger said:
Just did some 4 player co-op with Teknoman, Flunkie and Vitaminwater, It was pretty awesome. Had a few voice chat issues later in the session but before that it was running fine. EVeryone needs to join the Dead Island steam group.

Lonestar said:
Tek on PC? Guess i know what i must do.

Yeah that was fun, found a morning star too lol. Now all I need to do is find out if I can electrify it. Also Flunkie cant drive.

I like how you still have to do your own quests even if you've finished them in another person's game, yet you still keep your stats/items. Wish Diablo was like that at times, since thats heavier on story, and sometimes you would get rushed through due to MP.

Flunkie

Banned
Teknoman said:
Yeah that was fun, found a morning star too lol. Now all I need to do is find out if I can electrify it. Also Flunkie cant drive.

I like how you still have to do your own quests even if you've finished them in another person's game, yet you still keep your stats/items. Wish Diablo was like that at times, since thats heavier on story, and sometimes you would get rushed through due to MP.
What?! I'm the best driver there is. I was just killing time ramping the other truck while you guys did you quest stuff. :p

I'm a good driver.

Prodigal

Banned
For anyone having trouble with micro stuttering/low frames, try hooking up a gamepad (or re-binding movement controls to the mouse temporarily) to see if it fixes the issue. There's a weird issue where holding down keys cause the game to constantly stutter, giving you a fake fps drop.

There's a workaround for fixing it for good (involves changing your windows keyboard settings) that I can post if anyone has this issue, I just gotta dig it up first.

mxgt

Banned
Prodigal said:
For anyone having trouble with micro stuttering/low frames, try hooking up a gamepad (or re-binding movement controls to the mouse temporarily) to see if it fixes the issue. There's a weird issue where holding down keys cause the game to constantly stutter, giving you a fake fps drop.

There's a workaround for fixing it for good (involves changing your windows keyboard settings) that I can post if anyone has this issue, I just gotta dig it up first.

Yeah it's fine with pad but I stutter badly with keyboard. would appreciate that link

ezekial45

Banned
How am i supposed to pick locks? I'm playing as Sam B and i've come across about 7 or so chests that need lockpicking. Is it a skill i'll get later? Or is it a character specific ability.

The M.O.B

Just got a rare Orange Sledgehammer earlier today...........OMG Best weapon in the game thus far.

The force on it is like 800 which sends zombies flying, this is way too fun.

B-Dex

ezekial45 said:
How am i supposed to pick locks? I'm playing as Sam B and i've come across about 7 or so chests that need lockpicking. Is it a skill i'll get later? Or is it a character specific ability.

It's an ability in the survival tree.

Top Bottom