• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

Heavy said:
Oh my god...this game. I can't stop playing. It's SOO good. I'm doing every quest. The melee combat is the best ever in a first-person game.

Check out this weap I bought for 2k: "Devastating Cleaver", and it's name is purple. I love the loot aspect of this game, it's a huge element and even has color-coded rares.

http://i.imgur.com/BNrHD.jpg

I'm only lvl 9 and it did 200 damage without upgrades then I upgraded it 4 times and it does 300 damage. It's glorious and chops heads and limbs off like they're made of jello.

Ever play Dark Messiah?

kamspy

Turning game effects down to medium get's rid of the offensive bloom without removing anything else from what I can tell.

Zimbardo

game is friggin awesome. i'm lvl 26 now and doing stuff in the city.

i picked the chick that was good with guns and finally got me some pistols. took me hours to finally get them.

love the curb stomp maneuver as well. very helpful.

Carm

DMPrince said:
got a weird headache at 82.5 because of the fisheye view. going back to the default lol.

Yea 82.5 is off for 1680x1050 for me. Even 75 doesn't look quite right, currently using 72.5 dunno though, may increase it a little.

Carm said:
Yea 82.5 is off for 1680x1050 for me. Even 75 doesn't look quite right, currently using 72.5 dunno though, may increase it a little.
yeah. it's a bit skewed. wonder what people use for 1920x1080 without it looking weird lol.

Max

I am not Max
Carm said:
Honestly it just takes a little getting used to, especially coming from an fov as small as 62.5

Any way to disable the co-op markers that float around the screen constantly yet? I have markers on the mini-map and don't really need them. They always ruin my screenshots.

Zimbardo

TheVampire said:
I wish I could start playing this on PC but it makes my gtx590 get so hot.
Like temps in the 90's and in order to counteract that the fan needs to spin to fast and loud.

Waiting on my water cooling parts to arrive :(

turn on vsync and it should run a lot cooler.

Baha

DMPrince said:
yeah. it's a bit skewed. wonder what people use for 1920x1080 without it looking weird lol.

82.5 is fine for me at 1920x1080.

75FD334E8D3125434E2A334617FC1249D01EABA3

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Nelo Ice said:
so does the fov fix from reddit work? if so how exactly do u do it?

reading it and im guessing i unpack the data0.pak in the steam dead island folder then extract the data into the skills fold u make inside the dead island folder in my documents?

edit:nvm
read it a bit more carefull....

anyways... :p
i extracted the pak with winrar and opened up that file they wanted.

save that file to a folder for dead island in your 'docs' tab

I have fov at 90, but i might set it to 75 since it's still a bit of an eyesore

One hilarious story...was cooping with 3 other dudes. They're driving a car and they drive past a thug and DOOR the damn thing....just flying by and opening the door and causing massive damage.

Lookin to pick this up, just checking, the current status is.

360: Slightly visually inferior to the ps3 version, but is currently the most stable and patched and all.
PS3: Better looking, still unpatched, thus pretty janked up
PC: Janked up as all fuck + all sorts of PC goodness

Am I more or less on the money here?

Baha said:
hm. let me change mine back to 82.5 and take a picture. it doesn't look like that lol.

Snapshot King said:

360: Slightly visually inferior to the ps3 version, but is currently the most stable and patched and all.

ps3 - surprise save not saving lol.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Snapshot King said:

PS3 version eats saves... :(

Snapshot King said:

Forgot to mention the PS3 versions disgusting screen tearing.

The M.O.B

Jungle is killing my framerate on PC version. Resort and City were perfectly fine but the Jungle drops my fps to 30 compared to 50-60 in resort/city.

:(

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Changing the FOV to 82.5 has helped tremendously. I don't care for the cheap screen blur on the sides, however.

I forgot the patch fixed co-op. I had people joining my game constantly. We were running through the Exodus quest, but they all left when the quest wouldn't complete. It says I need to clear out all the undead in the lifeguard tower area and it appears we did, but the quest won't progress.

Ploid 3.0

Snapshot King said:

For me the PC version is the best running game I have on my PC. solid framerate (60 with d3doverrider vsync and triple buffering). I had the game black screen hang up about 4 times, and it returns to gameplay after about 5 seconds. Other than that, nothing. I have the amazon download version and the updates.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
klownboots said:
Have not had this issue yet. Is it random? Am I just lucky?

I don't know... hit me twice in the early game. But haven't had it happen with my new character. I'm kind of afraid to play though, which is seriously fucked up.

Salsa

posted yet?

GMG:

Some people were issued with a second steam key in error, at the same time as they were given their DLC key today.

We're in the middle of fixing this, so anyone with more than one Dead Island game key issued today should not try to use the second steam key, because those keys will no longer be functional very soon....

I should add that, this does not include anyone currently in support awaiting resolution from a while ago whereby the key was not activating.. Due to their complicated nature, we are attending to you on a case by case basis.

I.. really dont know how they'll handle this. I very much doubt they can remove the game from a profile..

Card Boy

Banned
User33 said:
Have they patched the PC version yet? I think its a game I'd enjoy, but I don't want to have to deal with a shitty port.

Yes its much better now than it was at day 1. Go nuts and buy it.

User33 said:
Have they patched the PC version yet? I think its a game I'd enjoy, but I don't want to have to deal with a shitty port.

I was on the fence of buying it for the same reason you are and I decided to just buy it today. I am glad I did because the game and co-op works fine.

Evolved1 said:
I don't know... hit me twice in the early game. But haven't had it happen with my new character. I'm kind of afraid to play though, which is seriously fucked up.

Hrmm, to be honest I didn't even know about the save issue. I am only level 5 and have just now gotten used to the gameplay so I would not be too sad if it buggered up now. Reading a lot of twitter stuff saying they are doing a PS3 patch "any day".

Oh well I probably wont be able to play it until saturday anyways, hopefully it is fixed by then.

Since the co-op finally started to work I was able to play for three hours straight with a some IRL friends. The game is a lot of fun. Gotta echo the Borderlands-with-Zombies sentiment.

There are a LOT of quests in this game too. We probably finished 20+ quests in those three hours and it feels like we've barely made any progress in Act I. Seems like the game's going to be quite long.

Really happy with my $34 Green Man Gaming purchase.

Salsa

HI guys,

The second steam keys being issued for a small number of people, they will know the difference here. This doesn't apply to legitimate and honest customers so much, as they're activating using the first key they've received, for very obvious reasons

But I just wanted to keep you updated If you have a second steam key and you've not used it, please do not use it, or it may cause you problems with the steam account it's bound to.

WOW

if this is true then there's gonna be some sort of bloodbath for sure. How many people here already gave the extra key to a friend? GMG fucked up if this means random account bans, holy shit.

Warm Machine said:
Actually 70 approximates human eyesight more.
Uh huh. Perhaps if I put on a pair of blinders like a racing horse my FOV would be constricted to 70 degrees.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Ever play Dark Messiah?
I want another FPS game like Dark Messiah to really catch on in terms of multiplayer. It's the only FPS I've ever played where I could shoot lightning bolts and giant balls of fire and orbs of lightning at other human controlled characters.

SalsaShark said:
WOW

if this is true then there's gonna be some sort of bloodbath for sure. How many people here already gave the extra key to a friend? GMG fucked up if this means random account bans, holy shit.

Shouldn't they have e-mailed people about this rather than posting it on their website or something?

wwm0nkey

Damn apparently a few of my friends where trying to pick this up today but pretty much every place is sold out of this on the 360. Closest place that has it is like an hour away.

Card Boy

Banned
krameriffic said:
I want another FPS game like Dark Messiah to really catch on in terms of multiplayer. It's the only FPS I've ever played where I could shoot lightning bolts and giant balls of fire and orbs of lightning at other human controlled characters.

I haven't played Dark Messiah, but maybe Bioshocks 2's multiplayer is what your after?

wwm0nkey said:
Damn apparently a few of my friends where trying to pick this up today but pretty much every place is sold out of this on the 360. Closest place that has it is like an hour away.

Yeah I read a tweet from the devs that said they are having issues getting copies to stores. My local Target did not even get the copy until 2 days later lol.

Warm Machine said:
Actually 70 approximates human eyesight more.
gtfo:p never heard of peripheral vision?

Stretch your arms beside you, now move each arm 10-20 degrees forward, tadaa you can stare at your monitor and see both of your hands at the edge of your vision.

So more like 140-160 degrees fov including peripheral vision.

When playing crysis or crysis 2 or killzone or any random console shooter it feels like I'm looking at the world through a toilet paper roll.

Carm

So I set my FOV back to 75, I'll just have to get use to it, it's better than feeling sick. I turned off motion blur, need to turn off bloom. Is there a way to turn off the blur that happens when you swing a weapon?

Also, maybe I've misunderstood, I thought people said you can't target specific body parts using KB+M, but that's not true. So the only reason to use the analog scheme on the 360 controller is to have the feel of swinging more than anything?

Edit: Strange that not everyone has gotten the DLC key yet.

Card Boy

Banned
chubigans said:
I haven't seen a botched launch like this since Gran Turismo 5. This is just nuts man.

Its fine now man, at least on PC. Nothing will compare to GT5, that game was an overhyped disaster.

Top Bottom