• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
This Exodus quest is getting on my nerves. I reloaded from a previous checkpoint, clear out all the zombies, and am still unable to use the radio.

Mutagenic said:
This Exodus quest is getting on my nerves. I reloaded from a previous checkpoint, clear out all the zombies, and am still unable to use the radio.

The twist:
you're a zombie zomg

not real spoiler

ironcreed

Banned
Just put a little over 4 hours into the PS3 version and so far so good. A few hitches here and there, but otherwise it plays great. I admit the controls felt a little awkward at first, but soon realized that the sort of sway in the movement is there on purpose to give the feeling of body movement and weight. Like when you kick, you have the sensation of actually leaning back and when you swing or are hit the movement just feels... right. Really simple, but natural feeling and fun gameplay once you get into the flow of the mechanics.

Also of note is that I am not one who usually gets caught off guard, but this game has made me jump out of my seat on a fairly regular basis thus far and I love it. You can be looking around for loot and all the sudden hear one of those ungodly screams and before you can even spin around you are being rabidly beat down or have a zombie right in your face flashing their rotten teeth and glaring at you with that glance of sheer madness. They absolutely nailed it here.

The game may lack polish and production value in areas, but the brutality of the zombies, the atmosphere and feeling of tension from not knowing when you are going to be blindsided and savagely attacked carries the weight here. On top of that, it is loaded with quests, loot and a great location to explore with some fairly nice visuals at times.

There have been many zombie games, but I truly cannot say I have played another one like Dead Island. Lots of ambition here, to be sure and it is a foundation that I would very much like to see built upon and made into something truly great. As there is the makings of something of a classic in this game, you just have to be able to look beneath some of the roughness in order to appreciate it.

Gez said:
How do i get ammo for firearms? I got a revolver from a quest with on 1 bullet in it. Merchants don't seem to sell ammo.
You will find them later, think of it like this, you wont see much ammo/guns at a resort but you know sure as shit the more urban areas have them.

SneakyStephan said:
gtfo:p never heard of peripheral vision?

Stretch your arms beside you, now move each arm 10-20 degrees forward, tadaa you can stare at your monitor and see both of your hands at the edge of your vision.

So more like 140-160 degrees fov including peripheral vision.

When playing crysis or crysis 2 or killzone or any random console shooter it feels like I'm looking at the world through a toilet paper roll.

Your eyes map to a curved projection plane, the game to a flat one. The area out front of your eye that more resembles the flat plane, where we do most of our seeing is thought to be around 22mm to 24mm. That maps to a high to mid 70 degree zone. The fish eye distortion in a 90 degree setting is not at all like human eyesight.

Aselith

4B649CE7B44487D81082A74408D7A55133CE579E

Dis gon be good

Carm

Gez said:
Its fine now man, at least on PC. Nothing will compare to GT5, that game was an overhyped disaster.

I wouldn't call it fine, but it's better than it was. To have to change keyboard settings under Ease of Access Center, to get rid of stuttering using M+KB, is not fine. To hack into a data pack to fish out a xml file to change the FOV is not fine. But again, it's better than it was, but it's so far from where a proper pc port should be.

Yerolo

Can anyone explain the ranking of the color grades for the weapons ? There is no in-game manual anywhere unfortunately

InertiaXr

Yerolo said:
Can anyone explain the ranking of the color grades for the weapons ? There is no in-game manual anywhere unfortunately

I'm pretty sure it's WoW/MMO style, white-green-blue-purple-orange in order of worst-best.

Yerolo said:
I go by mmo terms

White = Common
Green = Uncommon
Blue = Rare
Purple = Epic
Yellow = Legendary

No clue if that is correct but it seems that way so far.

Still waiting for my copy to arrive here (Damn working in Afghanistan and its long shipment times) but anyone heard about the different skulls and stuff? Saw some things on gamefaqs and haven't seen anyone post here about it. Seems there is different skulls to place in different areas in the game and you get differnt things.

Carm said:
Also, maybe I've misunderstood, I thought people said you can't target specific body parts using KB+M, but that's not true. So the only reason to use the analog scheme on the 360 controller is to have the feel of swinging more than anything?.

Yeah, I don't know what people are talking about. I'm using KB+M and Digital controls and can target body parts no problem. Aiming for the head, disabling legs, chopping off arms on thugs, etc. and I'm not even using a crosshair. I disabled it with a HUD mod I found on Guru 3D.

The game is actually pretty solid on PC right now with the last third or fourth patch. Everything (mostly) is working fine, the game looks and performs great, and I'm having a blast playing cooperative. Stairs (especially coming up from the bathrooms in the bungalow area in Act I) are still totally screwed and your character falls inside of them constantly and gets stuck but I haven't had any other major problems so far.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Still waiting for my copy to arrive here (Damn working in Afghanistan and its long shipment times) but anyone heard about the different skulls and stuff? Saw some things on gamefaqs and haven't seen anyone post here about it. Seems there is different skulls to place in different areas in the game and you get differnt things.
Interesting, I did find a skill and was wondering what the hell it was for.

AgentOtaku said:
Sorry to ask again

So is the PC version now ready for primetime?

I wanna buy on Amazon digital for $39
Yes, now all that is left is small minor bugs but for a majority of people the big bugs have been patched.

GhostRidah said:
Interesting, I did find a skill and was wondering what the hell it was for.

From what I read there is a purple skull, green skull, orange so far that people have discovered. I didn't know if people were making it up or what but seems legit from some of the posts I saw.

sleepykyo

klownboots said:
Have not had this issue yet. Is it random? Am I just lucky?

Double check to see if you have all your quests. I haven't lost my save yet (knock on wood), but my character already "forgot" 2 quests.

jet1911

Just started Act 2 (city) and Looking at the map it seems like it's almost bigger than the first part. Wtffffffffffffff!? :O

Bonus screenshots :p

deadislandgame2011-09-fe5g.png

deadislandgame2011-09-1c3h.png

Ok, I feel like I'm doing something wrong in the game. I have trouble with Thugs. It's not that I can't kill them but the way I do is painfully slow. I feel like I should be attacking them different. Getting too close to attack has them knocking me out. Throwing things at them is just slow since I have to fall back and wait to collect the weapons I threw at them. What am I doing wrong GAF?

Max

I am not Max
Marty Chinn said:
Ok, I feel like I'm doing something wrong in the game. I have trouble with Thugs. It's not that I can't kill them but the way I do is painfully slow. I feel like I should be attacking them different. Getting too close to attack has them knocking me out. Throwing things at them is just slow since I have to fall back and wait to collect the weapons I threw at them. What am I doing wrong GAF?
Whack them then do the little jump-back move, repeat

Sethos

Banned

Card Boy

Banned
d0c_zaius said:
Sorry if this is the wrong place, but I didnt know where else to ask.

Since the GMG deal is dead, has anyone tried ordering a PC steam key from this link:

http://www.cjs-cdkeys.com/products/...id=CN6Xx9Gyj6sCFeUZQgodnWvXtw&setCurrencyId=2

I'd like to give the game a shot.

For those curious, they are offering steam keys for 35$.

There is a new code for GMG put in GREEN-MANGA-MING1 at checkout. So you can still get it for $34, if you want a referral for $5 cashback i can hook you up.

d0c_zaius

Gez said:
There is a new code for GMG put in GREEN-MANGA-MING1 at checkout. So you can still get it for $34, if you want a referral for $5 cashback i can hook you up.

wow thats awesome, thanks! you represent the meatboy well :)

edit: actually I dont think it will work since I already bought deus ex from them. but thanks anyway! I'm going to still get it heh.

B-Dex

slasher_thrasher21 said:
From what I read there is a purple skull, green skull, orange so far that people have discovered. I didn't know if people were making it up or what but seems legit from some of the posts I saw.

I found an orange and a brown skull. I found where to put the orange one and got
a dev craft no.1 - electro body mod. Needs 5 diamonds and 2 batteries I think. I still need 3 more diamonds to make it.

Jeramii

Banned
i wanted to love this game so much... but i played for 15 minutes and got the worst motion sickness ever.

tried changing the fov, and it was about the same with how my stomach was feeling. :( good thing i got it as a gift and didn't have to pay for it. god bless you steam and awesome friends.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I finally decided to take the plunge and grabbed this on Green Man Gaming. Downloading on Steam now!

Aselith

B-Dex said:
I found an orange and a brown skull. I found where to put the orange one and got
a dev craft no.1 - electro body mod. Needs 5 diamonds and 2 batteries I think. I still need 3 more diamonds to make it.

Getting diamonds:
Go to the hotel kitchen and get as much brand champagne as you can find then take it to Svetlana or something like that who is out partying in one of the farther out bungalows that are built on those piers in the beach section. I got like 8 or 9 off from the champagne I got from the kitchen.

wilflare

Zefah said:
Well, I finally decided to take the plunge and grabbed this on Green Man Gaming. Downloading on Steam now!

welcome to the club!
more should jump on the deal before GMG takes away the 15% preorder discount and the 20% off coupon expires on monday!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Did the hotel area earlier and found an orange weapon while I was there. It kicks everyone's ass. I love this game.

Prodigal

Banned
So I just got 2 keys from the GMG e-mail, I figure the extra copy is useless since they're gonna de-activate 'em or whatever, but should I activate the DLC thing?

Also I don't know how well known this is but there's a bunker down the coast to the right from where you first start off on the beach that has a guy who'll reward you with some sort of weighted mod thing if you rescue him. I probably wouldn't have found it if my friend hadn't pointed it out, so I figure I'd pass this on to y'all since it's somewhat out of the way.

Sullichin

Discovered I lost a bunch of progress in the game when I loaded my save. How could they not notice this widespread problem of saves not working lol.

Aselith

Sullichin said:
Discovered I lost a bunch of progress in the game when I loaded my save. How could they not notice this widespread problem of saves not working lol.

It was only with the day 2 patch as far as I'm aware (or at least it was for me.) All subsequent patches have kept my progress. Has it been a few days since you updated/played your save?

Sullichin

Aselith said:
It was only with the day 2 patch as far as I'm aware (or at least it was for me.) All subsequent patches have kept my progress. Has it been a few days since you updated/played your save?
Stuff I did yesterday/two days ago lost today. Playing PS3 version, no patch yet.

Max

I am not Max
Marty Chinn said:
Wait what jump back move? Or do you mean simply hit walk backwards and jump?
Holding left, right, or back direction plus the jump button will make your character do a little dodge move, at the cost of stamina

Top Bottom