• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

B-Dex

Aselith said:
Getting diamonds:
Go to the hotel kitchen and get as much brand champagne as you can find then take it to Svetlana or something like that who is out partying in one of the farther out bungalows that are built on those piers in the beach section. I got like 8 or 9 off from the champagne I got from the kitchen.

I think I have 3-4 champagne on me! (I beat the game) Oh man kinda excited now. But it also costs 10k and i'm in chapter 1 again and only getting $200~ from pickups. Item lvls are all low again :S. (Which I see they addressed in the patch yet ps3 didn't get one :()

UPDATE I MADE IT AND: Must be bugged.
It made an Electro Military Knife (i didn't have the knife on me it just gave me one) and the elctro wore off after one attack with it....... It was a lvl 24 weapon too and i'm 32....
what a wate of 10k and diamonds.

B-Dex said:
I think I have 3-4 champagne on me! (I beat the game) Oh man kinda excited now. But it also costs 10k and i'm in chapter 1 again and only getting $200~ from pickups. Item lvls are all low again :S. (Which I see they addressed in the patch yet ps3 didn't get one :()

There's a NG+ ?

Any news on a console patch? I lost some mission progress on the 360 tonight, nothing big just
talk to the lighthouse people
but still off putting enough to want to wait.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
2011-09-09_00004.jpg

Back of the Bus

Just finished like a 4 hour session with Teknoman, Auryn and Lonestar, this game is incredibly fun. I'm sure Tekno will post the Steamgroup link, you all have to join to make it's easier for us all to organise some co-op. I love this game, it's possibly my GOTY.

Played it for two hours tonight. First time. Just a single-player journey.

I walked away pleasantly surprised.

When I discovered, via Options, that I can turn a good 3/4 of the HUD off, it really pulled me in.

Everything about this game so far has a very distinctive charm to it.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Sutton Dagger said:
HAHA so good, make sure you get that mic for the next session.

p.s RIP charcoal Russian ;)

:D

Yeah, I'll figure something out with a controller and mic

Flunkie

Banned
Tekno, you're a whore. I thought you were my coop buddy. :(

Actually, you're a feminist whore. Yeah, I went there.

Good times with all who I buddied up for coop with today. :p

Max said:
Holding left, right, or back direction plus the jump button will make your character do a little dodge move, at the cost of stamina

Ah cool, thanks! I didn't know about that. That definitely helps a lot. Did they explain that at one point at all?

Teknoman

Flunkie said:
Tekno, you're a whore. I thought you were my coop buddy. :(

Actually, you're a feminist whore. Yeah, I went there.

Good times with all who I buddied up for coop with today. :p

Just think of it as me training so we'll be on equal footing.

wowzors

Question, anyone else not getting XP when playing coop? Me and my friend were playing Coop with him in the private slot and he didnt get any quest xp. So I got to level 7 and he is at level 3.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Only 30 minutes in, but this game seems pretty damn cool.

I plan on plugging in a 360 controller and giving the analog combat controls a try tomorrow.

Carm

Zefah said:
Only 30 minutes in, but this game seems pretty damn cool.

I plan on plugging in a 360 controller and giving the analog combat controls a try tomorrow.

I tried to play with analog mode on, either I didn't play long enough or it isn't for me. One on one with a zombie and maybe 2 vs 1 it was fine, anything more and it felt broken, or I just sucked at it.

Concept17

HeadlessRoland said:
Game makes me dizzy it is not possible to play it. But I want to play it badly.

Concept17 said:
FOV fix:

Find the data01.pak file in your Dead Island directory. Steam/steamapps/common/dead island/DI

Copy this file elsewhere, extract it using Winrar or Winzip.

Copy default_levels.xml located in Data/Skills

Create folder Data in your Documents/DeadIsland/out directory. Create another folder called Skills inside the Data folder. Paste default_levels.xml here.

Open default_levels.xml. Search for FOV. Change number 65.2 (or whatever default is) to 82 or whatever you prefer. Save. Win.

That should help you and your dizziness

Carm

^
HeadlessRoland said:
Game makes me dizzy it is not possible to play it. But I want to play it badly.

This was posted awhile back in the thread. I'm using 75 for the FOV for 1680x1050. I haven't used this in coop, dunno how it would effect vac violations(probably woulnd't).

Edit: Beaten like a red headed step child

see5harp

I really like analog combat and jesus christ there are a lot of side quests. I've played for about 4 hours wandering around finding ID's and am less than 10% done with the main quest. Just found the lighthouse. This game is good.

_woLf

Was exploring around tonight and found a rock spraypainted with a red arrow. Climbed a bunch of rocks and found a red and white (looked like Poland's) flag with 2 skulls on them. Anyone know what the deal is with that?

edit: also, I'm really getting tired of the "you cannot track sidequests in co-op while you're doing a main quest" I'd rather do sidequests and check areas for canned food while i'm walking to the side quest area, you stupid game.

Game is awesome. There is the guy stuck in his truck on the beach right near the beginning and I helped him and he opened up the surf shack right? I walk up the ramp and instantly die. I have no clue why. Anyway it reloads in the surf shack and the dude is gone. Did I miss anything?

Haunted

_woLf said:
Was exploring around tonight and found a rock spraypainted with a red arrow. Climbed a bunch of rocks and found a red and white (looked like Poland's) flag with 2 skulls on them. Anyone know what the deal is with that?
Aside from the obvious connexion (Techland is Polish), I'm not sure. Might just be an easter egg.

JambiBum

SteveWinwood said:
Game is awesome. There is the guy stuck in his truck on the beach right near the beginning and I helped him and he opened up the surf shack right? I walk up the ramp and instantly die. I have no clue why. Anyway it reloads in the surf shack and the dude is gone. Did I miss anything?
No he just leaves.

I urge anyone on the fence about this game to give it a try (PC version), I seriously had like the best co-op experience today with fellow GAFfer's. Playing SP is also incredibly fun, gives off a great atmosphere. This is definitely the sleeper hit of the year, it's just disappointing that the launch has put so many people off. It's running great on PC now btw.

Drazgul

So, how big is the game - in hours and world size? As I understand it, it's not open world like Bethesda's games for example, but separate zones? Downloaded the game this morning and going to play later today.

At 720p, what kind of performance can I expect with this? Bound in Blood ran at pretty much locked 60 with everything all the way up

My system:

Asus G73JW Notebook
Core i7 Q740
Nvidia GTX460m
8gig Ram
Win7 64bit

My laptop is my home theather PC via HDMI and would be playing this on the couch with a controller

Thanks again GAF!

Badgerst3

why cant i use the nail mod? i have the blueprint (early quest), a baseball bat and "nails" and a "large nail".

the bat is greened out in the create menu, the nails are in red. maybe i somehow dont have enough nails?

_woLf

AgentOtaku said:
At 720p, what kind of performance can I expect with this? Bound in Blood ran at pretty much locked 60 with everything all the way up

My system:

Asus G73JW Notebook
Core i7 Q740
Nvidia GTX460m
8gig Ram
Win7 64bit

My laptop is my home theather PC via HDMI and would be playing this on the couch with a controller

Thanks again GAF!

You shouldn't have a single problem.

B-Dex said:
I found an orange and a brown skull. I found where to put the orange one and got
a dev craft no.1 - electro body mod. Needs 5 diamonds and 2 batteries I think. I still need 3 more diamonds to make it.

Yeah I heard about that one being weak. Some people speculate its maybe meant to be for something else, etc. Not sure, I don't know if anyone else has made/found anything else made from the other skulls yet.

Raggy

Banned
Got it on Steam today and looking forward to play it.

quick question guys for the PC crowd:

Is it preferable to use gamepad, or mouse + keyboard ?

So has anyone else suffered a death by beachball yet? Probably the biggest fright of the game so far. I kicked at one on the beach, it barely seemed to move but it took me out from full health somehow.

R1CHO

slasher_thrasher21 said:
How many acts are in the game?

I dont know about acts, but i am in chapter 15 more or less and the main quest is almost finish 90%

PS: IV acts according to the achievements. But i am guessing the fourth is a short one.

R1CHO

Raggy said:
Got it on Steam today and looking forward to play it.

quick question guys for the PC crowd:

Is it preferable to use gamepad, or mouse + keyboard ?

Controller. Analog combat is more challenging and satisfying imo

PS: sorry double post

R1CHO

CryptiK said:
Has the real PC build been released yet?

Well, i dont know if is real or not, but i didnt have any bugs and the online coop is working.

I dont think a new magical build is gonna arrive. After all this is v1.2 already.

Enco

Pretty sure they said that the current build is the proper one.

Most (if not all) of the issues have been removed by the 3 patches released.

Drazgul

Eh, how come Logan has less stats than the others? It's not like his specialty is particularly great (seems the opposite to me).

Top Bottom