• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

Varna

I was serious buyers remorse as soon as I started playing the game... especially with all the stuff coming out in the next few months. Once I switched to analog fighting style it just felt so much better. I wish you could setup an analog only game.

Is there a shortcut for chat when you are using a gamepad (PC version of course)?

Haunted

Watched someone streaming this on twitch.tv last night.

1) get in pool
2) kick
3) ????
4) profit

Hilarious shit.

One of the first weapons I found was a purple crowbar. I'm assuming its mmo style and I just got a super kickass drop? Awesome. Please don't tell me its like green then purple :/

wwm0nkey

SteveWinwood said:
One of the first weapons I found was a purple crowbar. I'm assuming its mmo style and I just got a super kickass drop? Awesome. Please don't tell me its like green then purple :/
Orange>Purple>Blue>Green

Didn't find an Orange grade weapon till level 30, I am sure there is also a grade above Orange too.

SteveWinwood said:
You lucky SOB, I've played 10 hours and the best I've found is green.

BrLvgThrChmstry said:
How much progress do you have to make till you can play co-op?
Maybe half an hour, an hour tops. That's a clear point where it opens up.

mxgt

Banned
what a joke, my game updated and now it crashes before even starting. other users on the steam forum are experiencing the same.

sarcoa

I think my Matter of Justice sidequest is bugged.

I doubt its a spoiler but Chapter 8
going Police HQ to get a file for a guy at the church. I get up to the office, it tells me to find the detective's room. I do that, hold down the button for five seconds to access the pc and then...nothing. It just prompts me to hold the button down to access the pc again.

PS3 version, which I have yet to patch thanks to the last few hours of posts.

Neuromancer said:
You lucky SOB, I've played 10 hours and the best I've found is green.

Maybe half an hour, an hour tops. That's a clear point where it opens up.

Cool, I'm about 30 mins in
just made it to the lifeguard tower
. This game is ,unexpectedly, a lot of fun.

Sullichin

mxgt said:
what a joke, my game updated and now it crashes before even starting. other users on the steam forum are experiencing the same.

lmao

This release is not going smoothly at all! Is the 360 version free of technical problems? That would be a god damn miracle considering the issues the PS3/PC versions have.

Milly79

sarcoa said:
I think my Matter of Justice sidequest is bugged.

I doubt its a spoiler but Chapter 8
going Police HQ to get a file for a guy at the church. I get up to the office, it tells me to find the detective's room. I do that, hold down the button for five seconds to access the pc and then...nothing. It just prompts me to hold the button down to access the pc again.

PS3 version, which I have yet to patch thanks to the last few hours of posts.
I just did that one. You find the file in the back of the room and that's it. I didn't have to anything with a computer.

Darklord

Banned
Obsidian said:
Not when you set the game in offline/single player mode in the options menu. But you cant play, logically, in co-op mode in offline mode.

Or is this a totally different thing?

I gave it a try. Nope. It says it needs steam then crashes if you try and play in offline mode. I want a refund for this piece of shit.

BrLvgThrChmstry said:
Cool, I'm about 30 mins in
just made it to the lifeguard tower
. This game is ,unexpectedly, a lot of fun.
That's where it opens up if memory serves. Yeah it's awesome, I'm loving it so far.

wwm0nkey

Sullichin said:
lmao

This release is not going smoothly at all! Is the 360 version free of technical problems? That would be a god damn miracle considering the issues the PS3/PC versions have.
Oh the 360 version is working amazingly compared to the other versions it seems lol

Ok.. so I can no longer assume that just because it is steamworks that it will work in offline mode..

great. One of my few justifications for being okay with the Steam DRM goes out the window..

Can someone link me to a cheap Dead Island Steam key deal? I could be imagining things, but I seem to recall people posting about getting it for around $20. Want to pick up an extra copy for my bro.

KorrZ

Level 13.. Just found an orange "Stick" kind of makes me laugh that my best weapon isn't a machete or my flaming/nailed baseball bats, but a stick.

Zafir

bluedeviltron said:
Can someone link me to a cheap Dead Island Steam key deal? I could be imagining things, but I seem to recall people posting about getting it for around $20. Want to pick up an extra copy for my bro.
With the 20% off code and a loyalty code from GMG you can get it for $36 I hear. Also the russian resellers are selling it for $30. Though I believe you might have to use a VPN for the latter.

Sorry if this was asked already, but the thread is way too damn long to go through... My friend bought this game yesterday for the PS3, and there's a very noticeable fps spike in the game, almost as if the game is freezing for a second. The sound also cuts out every once in awhile during these freezes and sometimes just at random points of the game. Anyone else having these problems with the PS3 version?

Concept17

DarkUSS said:
So how do I change the FOV without getting banned?
Concept17 said:
FOV fix:

Find the data01.pak file in your Dead Island directory. Steam/steamapps/common/dead island/DI

Copy this file elsewhere, extract it using Winrar or Winzip.

Copy default_levels.xml located in Data/Skills

Create folder Data in your Documents/DeadIsland/out directory. Create another folder called Skills inside the Data folder. Paste default_levels.xml here.

Open default_levels.xml. Search for FOV. Change number 65.2 (or whatever default is) to 90 or whatever you prefer. Save. Win.

StickSoldier said:
Sorry if this was asked already, but the thread is way too damn long to go through... My friend bought this game yesterday for the PS3, and there's a very noticeable fps spike in the game, almost as if the game is freezing for a second. The sound also cuts out every once in awhile during these freezes and sometimes just at random points of the game. Anyone else having these problems with the PS3 version?

It's been noted several times that the PS3 version is by far the worst console version.

game runs fine for me on PC now, ever since that launch day

which is more than I can say for Deus Ex (horrible stuttering in cut scenes that ruins them in particular)

wwm0nkey

Milly79 said:
Anyone find the skulls that are floating around? Apparently there's a brown, orange, blue and purple.
There are locations you can put these skulls which will give you blue prints for special weapons

SpudBud

So even with all the jank and bugs that the pc version is plagued with? Is it still worth it? Open world zombie action sounds awesome.

Also, is that GMG deal still going on?

DrBo42

Milly79 said:
Anyone find the skulls that are floating around? Apparently there's a brown, orange, blue and purple.
Yeah, pretty sure they're just tougher than usual zombies. Give better rewards or such. I've only seen white but I can't be 100% sure the mark ties directly to an enemy, might just be an area. In other news, I think 2 people might be the golden number in this game. 4 is just an unstoppable death train, 3 is still too OP. 2 maintains the "oh god what was that" feeling from single player, easy to get overwhelmed, super tense. Highly recommend it.

SpudBud said:
So even with all the jank and bugs that the pc version is plagued with? Is it still worth it? Open world zombie action sounds awesome.

So worth it if you have a buddy that plays. I didn't even know there were multiple zones before I bought it. Walking into the
--------city----------
for the first time... Absolute dread, in a good way.

Aselith

Milly79 said:

I found an orange
sewer
and a purple one
mayor's house I believe maybe police station

v0mitg0d

...hold up. There is more content beyond the first map? I mean, there are more maps beyond the starting area? I was under the impression this whole time that the starting map was the only map but you eventually went into the hotel for the final.

Can someone tell me whats up with a spoiler-free (or at least as spoiler-free as possible) answer to these questions?

Thanks!! :)

Weenerz

Banned
There are towns and things too. Not just the resort. In the early gameplay sections, you saw them in a city destroyed zombies.

DrBo42

v0mitg0d said:
...hold up. There is more content beyond the first map? I mean, there are more maps beyond the starting area? I was under the impression this whole time that the starting map was the only map but you eventually went into the hotel for the final.

Can someone tell me whats up with a spoiler-free (or at least as spoiler-free as possible) answer to these questions?

Eh..there's more?

Aselith

v0mitg0d said:

Isn't knowing the fact you go to other places a spoiler?

do you always get to go to places you see in the background scenery?

eg when you start the game in the hotel you can see a bunch of places on other islands, which presumably you can go to

I got to level 12 login and didnt even exlplore beyond those 2 groups of survivors LOL

having too much fine taking down thugs with knives, huge XP boosts

Sullichin

SpudBud said:

Honestly, even if the game was technically sound, if I knew it was going to be this I probably wouldn't have bought the game. There are other problems here:

Very, very basic RPG elements:
You can't do much with most of the items except sell them or give them to sidequest characters.
No character customization
Zombies scale to your level which in my eyes prevents the game from having a sense of progress (but I suppose the deleting saves thing hurts that way more)
Respawning zombies after a pretty short period of time.. in the same locations, respawning items.
Really bad interface design

What it does right: atmosphere and zombie melee killing.

Digishine

Banned
mxgt said:
It makes no damn sense, some people got the update and now the game won't launch and some didn't get any update.

What a clusterfuck

And again people with a pirate copy don't have those probs :/

Enco

sleepykyo said:
PS3? LAIR? Brink?
I'm not sure.

They released a dev version, followed by 3 patches, messed up and made plenty of people lose their saves and then they broke the game for many people again today.

Top Bottom