• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

Akkad

Banned
Amneisac said:
Where are the fucking patch notes!?!?!? I love reading patch notes...

-fixed game not working when pressing a button
-fixed game eating saves for no reason
-fixed game eating weapons

I love the game btw.

Derrick01

Banned
I found some goldish knife on top of some tiny mountain of rocks near the beach area around the lifeguard station. There was a little path that was clearly carved out with some wooden planks and some arrows painted in the ground that pointed what way to go.

That's the kind of stuff that makes exploring not feel like a waste of time.

Derrick01 said:
I found some goldish knife on top of some tiny mountain of rocks near the beach area around the lifeguard station. There was a little path that was clearly carved out with some wooden planks and some arrows painted in the ground that pointed what way to go.

I saw the planks and couldn't figure out what they led to... I'll try again tonight.

Amneisac

Akkad said:
-fixed game not working when pressing a button
-fixed game eating saves for no reason
-fixed game eating weapons

I love the game btw.

Lol, I'd be happy with that. I'm guessing they don't want to scare us with how horrible the shit that's getting patched really is.

wwm0nkey said:
watch
I see that, and raise you http://youtu.be/wv4Mrivn9n0

Carm

Obsidian said:
Not when you set the game in offline/single player mode in the options menu. But you cant play, logically, in co-op mode in offline mode.

Or is this a totally different thing?

I have my game set to single player. Putting Steam into Offline mode, Dead Island pops up that error saying it's required.

Played for 4 hours straight this morning solo. I'm glad I stopped using analog control, damn infected ones coming out of nowhere.

SteveWinwood said:
Jesus how'd you get that shit at level 9? Also its orange and yeah if its like mmo colors orange is better than purple, which is better than blue and then green is the worst.
The cleaver I didn't actually find, the vendor at the lifeguard station had it for sale for $2000. Early in the game...that was like the 2nd or 3rd main quest I think. It seems the vendor items are random because when I go back to him they change. Many of the loot drops in general seem to be random... there's also a skill that gives you bonus % for "better chance to get rare drops".

Digishine said:
SOlution found:

Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dead island\DI\Data

Locate: Locale("En") and change to Locale("en")
This will make the game playable whilst Steam is offline? If so then great and also 'shit' as I can't find that in my Dead Island Data folder.

Edit: Found it in the "Game" config settings. Now, will it work....
Edit 2: Nope. And I don't see this being patched any time soon considering all the other crap that's been going on. Thing is I do like the game a lot. It's running pretty well for me too (had to force V-sync though - no Menu option is utterly stupid). But I don't like being forced to be online. If this is a bug it may be fixed. If this is DRM it should've been on the Store page, which it wasn't.

Flunkie

Banned
Played using digital last night because I didn't want to wake up te girlfriend with analog. Too easy one-on-one, but amazing for large groups. I wish you could have a digital swing button for analog controls.

Carm

Mat C said:
Hmm..

To buy Day One, or to wait for a sale..

How prohibitive are these technical issues on the PC?

I'm extremely unhappy with the tech issues that shouldn't be there, particularly ones they made in their previous game not getting corrected for this one. With that said, under all the tech issues, that are slowly being corrected by the dev and the community, there is a game that everyone should at least try. The closest experience I can compare it to is Borderlands. I spent 165ish hours solo in Borderlands and I can see myself doing that here as well.

Derrick01 said:

What you found was the path to a location involved with one of the games real easter eggs. This thread is quite spoiler heavy:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2106689

oktarb

Most of the time it takes a couple of swings to drop a Z. Every once in awhile I'll get this normal looking Z that just won't die. I'll bash/kick him till he drops and then I crouch over him and just start to wail on his head. 15-20 hit later he's 'dead'.

Are these just anomalous Zs? Or is maybe my weapon too degraded?

For the record I'm in Chapter 2 and I'm not talking about those brute howling Zs.

oktarb said:
Most of the time it takes a couple of swings to drop a Z. Every once in awhile I'll get this normal looking Z that just won't die. I'll bash/kick him till he drops and then I crouch over him and just start to wail on his head. 15-20 hit later he's 'dead'.

For the record I'm in Chapter 2 and I'm not talking about those brute howling Zs.
Your weapon probably lost all its durability. When it goes down to zero you start doing like 3 damage. Check the damage numbers when you attack, if you have that on.

tjohn86

oktarb said:

Weapons basically stop doing damage once they are in their last 1/10 of durability or so.

Killer

Banned
I'll ask this again:

Does anyone disconnect from co-op game within 5-10 minutes on PC? It keeps kicking out my friend for the 100th time and we are already sick and tired of this bullshit. Any advice?

oktarb

Heavy said:
Your weapon probably lost all its durability. When it goes down to zero you start doing like 3 damage. Check the damage numbers when you attack, if you have that on.

That makes sense. I turned off 'show damage'. Adds to the immersion.

Teknoman

Killer said:
I'll ask this again:

Does anyone disconnect from co-op game within 5-10 minutes on PC? It keeps kicking out my friend for the 100th time and we are already sick and tired of this bullshit. Any advice?

Its happened once or twice for me, but not within that short amount of time. Imo it seems like a steam issue.

Has anyone had problems with weapons disappearing? I took a weapon off of a person for completing a quest but it wasn't in my inventory or on the ground.

Killer

Banned
Teknoman said:
Its happened once or twice for me, but not within that short amount of time. Imo it seems like a steam issue.

oh crap. I'm holding off til they patch the game. have they already released the retal version of the game? Thought that might be the problem.

Robobandit said:
Ok.. so I can no longer assume that just because it is steamworks that it will work in offline mode..

great. One of my few justifications for being okay with the Steam DRM goes out the window..

Is this shit for real?

>=(

Darkgran

Quick question.

When I started the game I noticed that it gave you the option for single payer or co-op. I choose co-op just in case I wanted to play with someone in the future.

Now I want to change it back to single player just because...but it wouldn't let me. I'm on co-op public does this mean anyone can just join my game at any time?

Also does this change the game in any way?

Edit: Never mind just figured it out.

Sullichin

LastWindow said:
Has anyone had problems with weapons disappearing? I took a weapon off of a person for completing a quest but it wasn't in my inventory or on the ground.

I dropped a weapon by accident and it wasn't on the ground. Maybe it fell through the floor or something. Only happened once though.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
So, what is the deal with people that are getting two steam codes from Green Man Gaming again? Is one code for DLC, or is it two copies of the game?

Badgerst3

Badgerst3 said:
why cant i use the nail mod? i have the blueprint (early quest), a baseball bat and "nails" and a "large nail".

the bat is greened out in the create menu, the nails are in red. maybe i somehow dont have enough nails?

Anyone? Kinda frustrating. Finding early workbenches but "nails" still in red even though I have 2 sets in my inventory. Fun game on 360. Played till 3a last pm.

Sullichin

Badgerst3 said:
Anyone? Kinda frustrating. Finding early workbenches but "nails" still in red even though I have 2 sets in my inventory. Fun game on 360. Played till 3a last pm.

Maybe you have to repair your bat first? I'm pretty sure Nailed mod worked for me with only one or two sets of nails and a baseball bat.

Badgerst3 said:

I think you need two sets of nails? But I don't know, I think I had the same problem. I went to make it thinking I had everything and it was still in red. I go to pick up another set of nails and it turns out it was my fifth one and I could make it then, even though it doesn't require that much. The bat was fully repaired, too.

Played for a few hours now, only 8% complete but have done most of the sidequests available to me. So much fun, but I am scared shitless of the zombies! I find myself edging around the environments and keeping my back to as many walls as possible, lol.

PaulLFC

Hmm, found another bug. If I'm wearing headphones or a headset when I start playing, the sound will be fine, until I unplug the headphones - any other program just starts playing the sound through my speakers, but Dead Island just cuts the sound completely - even if I plug the headphones back in I hear nothing until I restart the game. Not a big deal, just a bit annoying.

Teknoman

Killer said:
oh crap. I'm holding off til they patch the game. have they already released the retal version of the game? Thought that might be the problem.

Yeah, all thats going on now are patches to improve the game.

USNrtl.jpg

Also, Deepsilver/Techland, dont worry about Dead Island 2 just yet. Make Dino Island.

Since yesterday it has froze about 4-5 times. The last time was when it was paused. I couldnt even turn off the PS3 with the button, had to unplug it. Will wait for the new patch later.

JambiBum

Badgerst3 said:

You need at least 2 sets of regular nails. Not one set of nails and large nails. I don't know what the large versions of things are for. Also make sure your bat is repaired all the way.

wwm0nkey

Here is what I want in Dead Island 2 (lets face it this game probably did well enough to warrant another one)

-Bigger stages
-more stages
-better story
-character creation
-previous characters as NPC's
-zombie animals
-more special zombie mutations
-more weapon variety

roll that all into one and we are good to go.

oktarb

PaulLFC said:
Hmm, found another bug. If I'm wearing headphones or a headset when I start playing, the sound will be fine, until I unplug the headphones - any other program just starts playing the sound through my speakers, but Dead Island just cuts the sound completely - even if I plug the headphones back in I hear nothing until I restart the game. Not a big deal, just a bit annoying.

I can confirm this, happened to me as well. Which is frustrating considering the "save" system.

PaulLFC

Anyone else had the game lock up for a few seconds, then carry on as if nothing happened? A couple of times now I've been in the middle of killing zombies and it'll freeze, go to a black screen for about 5 seconds, and then the game will display again and I can carry on playing from where it froze.

Riptwo

PaulLFC said:
Anyone else had the game lock up for a few seconds, then carry on as if nothing happened? A couple of times now I've been in the middle of killing zombies and it'll freeze, go to a black screen for about 5 seconds, and then the game will display again and I can carry on playing from where it froze.

I actually had the game minimize itself somehow while I was playing with a wireless 360 pad. Screen went black, desktop showed up, and I just had to reclick the icon in my taskbar. No idea what's up with that.

PaulLFC said:

Yeah I have actually, about half a dozen times over 9 hours of playing. In my case the sound dies after the picture returns and I have to restart the game to get it back. Also pretty sure I lost some quest progress after one of those so if it happens make sure you go into a "town" before quitting.

Riptwo said:
I actually had the game minimize itself somehow while I was playing with a wireless 360 pad. Screen went black, desktop showed up, and I just had to reclick the icon in my taskbar. No idea what's up with that.

This is usually caused by the game not disabling the screensaver in fullscreen mode I'm pretty sure. If you turn it off altogether that should stop happening.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Dead Island |OT| Zombies do our QA.

Anyone taking the risk playing this on PS3 besides me? I want to co-op...

Top Bottom