• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

Phonomezer said:
Played for a few hours now, only 8% complete but have done most of the sidequests available to me. So much fun, but I am scared shitless of the zombies! I find myself edging around the environments and keeping my back to as many walls as possible, lol.
You playing on PC?
Painraze said:
just got it on PC... man this game is fucking AWESOME.

People on the PC version join the group if you want: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/GAFDeadIsland
Once you join it you can just click on a name in your friends list under the groups section and click join game. Don't have to be added to each others friends list
Zimbardo said:
so Game of the Year so far?

i think its up there.
If Deus Ex didn't come out, it would be for me. Also loving Space Marine...awesome multi-player and a solid campaign.

DrBo42

Evolved1 said:
Dead Island |OT| Zombies do our QA.
I hate when people post shit like this. Having worked in game QA for a major publisher, testers do find more than you could imagine. Up to the dev team to actually fix it, they often don't care.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I have respect for all people involved in game development... it seems like a very difficult, often thankless job. Years of hard work gets shredded by harsh, often unfair criticism.

However...

I was just joking. I can make fun of them. I bought the game and while it's very fun, I've had just inexcusable problems. Corrupting saves is like the worst possible sin.

KageMaru

Metalmurphy said:
Why does the game sometimes locks you to the main quest when playing coop?
For the new page:

When you activate a main quest in co-op, you have to complete it, that's just how it's designed. What my friends and I have been doing is once we're done with a main quest, we'll get the reward from the quest giver but make sure to not activate the next quest the person may give.

I believe this is done to make sure everyone in the co-op game has the same quest progression in the campaign since this doesn't happen in solo play. It's not really a flexible system but you can work around it.

Sullichin

Evolved1 said:
I have respect for all people involved in the game development... it seems like a very difficult, often thankless job.

I was just joking. I can make fun of them. I bough the game and while it's very fun, I've had just inexcusable problems. Corrupting saves is like the worst possible sin.

I agree with this. I've been ragging on this game in this thread but still respect the developers. It really seems that they were rushed to get this game out. Definitely could have used some more development time.

KageMaru said:
When you activate a main quest in co-op, you have to complete it, that's just how it's designed. What my friends and I have been doing is once we're done with a main quest, we'll get the reward from the quest giver but make sure to not activate the next quest the person may give.

I believe this is done to make sure everyone in the co-op game has the same quest progression in the campaign since this doesn't happen in solo play. It's not really a flexible system but you can work around it.

But the main quest never unlocks once its locked. It just keeps on going and we end up not being able to do the side quests.

If everyone leaves the game and we join up again it unlocks, but that's kinda of annoying.

Carm

PaulLFC said:
Anyone else had the game lock up for a few seconds, then carry on as if nothing happened? A couple of times now I've been in the middle of killing zombies and it'll freeze, go to a black screen for about 5 seconds, and then the game will display again and I can carry on playing from where it froze.

Yep, prior to all the patching that happened a lot. Since then, it happened once yesterday and once this morning. Who knows what the hell would be causing it.

Zimbardo

so i just received an email from Green Man Gaming with 2 additional keys included.

anyone have any idea what that's all about before i go searching?

Flunkie

Banned
Zimbardo said:
so i just received an email from Green Man Gaming with 2 additional keys included.

anyone have any idea what that's all about before i go searching?
One is the Bloodbath Arena DLC, the other is an additional copy of Dead Island that will (probably) get deactivated soon.

Anyone have any idea why I don't have a "DeadIsland" folder in My Documents? It's making it impossible for me to do things like fix shadows, filtering, FoV, etc. I've looked on the Steam Forums and don't see anything related to my problem.

PaulLFC

Just got killed by a beachball
3AQmK.gif

I kicked it at a wooden post and it rebounded back, hit me and I died instantly. Beach balls are officially stronger than zombies.

PaulLFC said:
3AQmK.gif

I kicked it at a wooden post and it rebounded back, hit me and I died instantly. Beach balls are officially stronger than zombies.
Out of all the bugs and glitches I find this one the most personally offensive.

Fix your shit, Techland!

Badgerst3

JambiBum said:
You need at least 2 sets of regular nails. Not one set of nails and large nails. I don't know what the large versions of things are for. Also make sure your bat is repaired all the way.

thx. that must be it. I have x1 "set of nails" and x1 "large nail". Must need a second "set of nails". strange- thx again.

JambiBum

So I just found out that there is a set of ultra weapons that you can find and make by collecting colored skulls. If you find them all the rumor is that you can combine them to make a super weapon. In order to craft the weapons you need 10 grand and 5 diamonds for each one. I've been selling my diamonds :(.

Holy crap, I got the % experience bonus skill and maxed it giving 150% XP more per kill or assist and I'm getting 43 XP per kill in the car (the bonus is nerfed when in the car, so this is huge compared to like +17 without the skill). I literally just ran over like 15+ zombies in about 3 or 4 minutes...that's like 500-600 XP, and most of all it was hella FUN!

Sullichin

Heavy said:
Holy crap, I got the % experience bonus skill and maxed it giving 150% XP more per kill or assist and I'm getting 43 XP per kill in the car. I literally just ran over like 15+ zombies in about 3 or 4 minutes...that's like 500-600 XP, and most of all it was hella FUN!

Does the blunt weapons dude have this skill available? I don't remember seeing it. Maybe it's further down the skill tree

Sullichin said:
Does the blunt weapons dude have this skill available? I don't remember seeing it. Maybe it's further down the skill tree
I'm the firearms girl Purna and it's under the "Survival" tree.

On another note, OMFG @ this cleaver... I'm doing anywhere from 450-600+ damage to zombies at level 9. I've ONE HIT like 5 or 6 in a row... just straight chopped their heads off or other part.
http://i.imgur.com/BNrHD.jpg
If you find this cleaver for sale at the vendor in the lifeguard station (chapter 1) for $2000, buy it immediately and the upgrade it 4 times. This is insane...609 damage wtf

JambiBum

PaulLFC said:
This post needs spoiler tags
What part is spoilery? I didn't say what the weapons were or where the skulls are. Just that they exist. People have asked quite a bit about whether or not they should keep diamonds. Now it's known.

Derrick01

Banned
Zimbardo said:

i think its up there.

Wouldn't even crack my top 10 so far and batman, skyrim, rage, bf3, uncharted, saints row, AC, and mw3 aren't even out yet.

I did just get to Act 2 though and I see a pretty large urban area on the map. I expect it to pick up now from the relatively empty jungle/beach area.

PaulLFC said:
3AQmK.gif

Doesnt even have physics applied to it lol

KageMaru

Metalmurphy said:
But the main quest never unlocks once its locked. It just keeps on going and we end up not being able to do the side quests.

If everyone leaves the game and we join up again it unlocks, but that's kinda of annoying.

Hmmmm that (obviously) shouldn't be happening. When you complete a main quest, the quest giver usually has a reward for you (money, mod blue print, etc). Assuming the same quest giver has another quest to give, hitting the action button (Square or X) should prompt him to give you the next quest. In order to start a main quest, everyone in the co-op game must be within close vicinity of the quest giver or else the quest won't be given. I would try making sure everyone in the party accepts the reward one at a time, while the rest of the party is away from the quest giver. Theoretically this should mean the quest giver can't give you another main quest even if someone accidentally hits the action button again.

Sorry that's all I can think of. Which version are you playing btw? Have you checked to see if there were any bugs related to main quests that won't quit? This is the first time I'm reading about this issue, it's been working fine for me and I've done nothing but co-op since the beginning (360 version).

Derrick01 said:
Wouldn't even crack my top 10 so far and batman, skyrim, rage, bf3, uncharted, saints row, AC, and mw3 aren't even out yet.

I did just get to Act 2 though and I see a pretty large urban area on the map. I expect it to pick up now from the relatively empty jungle/beach area.

The city area is where it really picks up. My friends and I have been fighting to survive for most of the quests in that area and it's been a blast.

Deadbeat

Banned
So I was wonder about the classes: should I go as Purna or Sam B? Is there enough guns/ammo to justify going a gun class or will it be regrettable?

Deadbeat said:
So I was wonder about the classes: should I go as Purna or Sam B? Is there enough guns/ammo to justify going a gun class or will it be regrettable?

I'm on Chapter 4 and I've found one gun so far, with one bullet, lol. I'm really hoping there will be more guns soon, as I picked Purna

Deadbeat said:
Purna
And get points in the Survival tree...it's great. I got a Revolver from Omar Torres in chapter 2 so you get a gun quick. As for ammo, she has a few skills that really boost your ammo in the survival tree so it doesn't look like it would be a problem (I dunno for sure, only lvl 10).

And flashburn2012 above is right...haven't found any ammo at all yet, or blueprints to make ammo so that's a bit worrying

KageMaru said:
Hmmmm that (obviously) shouldn't be happening. When you complete a main quest, the quest giver usually has a reward for you (money, mod blue print, etc). Assuming the same quest giver has another quest to give, hitting the action button (Square or X) should prompt him to give you the next quest. In order to start a main quest, everyone in the co-op game must be within close vicinity of the quest giver or else the quest won't be given. I would try making sure everyone in the party accepts the reward one at a time, while the rest of the party is away from the quest giver. Theoretically this should mean the quest giver can't give you another main quest even if someone accidentally hits the action button again.

Sorry that's all I can think of. Which version are you playing btw? Have you checked to see if there were any bugs related to main quests that won't quit? This is the first time I'm reading about this issue, it's been working fine for me and I've done nothing but co-op since the beginning (360 version).

It's the PC version. We wen't from the Helicopter quest in Act I to Act II without being able to unlock the main quest. Which means we missed some quests in Act I

-BLITZ-

Sh$*@ttt just got real!

Who put me to play this game :D. After completely erase the entire map in Act II, doing every quest and kill every living thing now I confront with Jungle Paradise in Act III
I wish Far Cry 3 to look like though and I'm sure this is just the beginning. At least now I can craft ammo for Pistol & Shotgun so I AM READY; Their days are numbered!

Playing very well with Logan.

Ploid 3.0

DMPrince said:
why was Heavy banned? o_O

Been looking everywhere to find the post that did him in. I hate not being able to see why people are banned. Darn my curiosity. Going to give up, figured I'd spot it since it was so recent.

Enco

Played a bit more.

It's fun when it works.

- It crashed twice (not in the past hour though)
- The keyboard stopped responding and required a reset
- Doesn't always show my friends that are online in the lobby

Deadbeat said:
If you can deal with low ammo/guns in the beginning of the game you will be fine, later especially the last parts have them in abundance plus you can find mods to make ammo.

Erebus

Enco said:
Played a bit more.

It's fun when it works.

- It crashed twice (not in the past hour though)
- The keyboard stopped responding and required a reset
- Doesn't always show my friends that are online in the lobby
Happened to me twice. Probably something to do with pressing Enter on the KB instead of MLB in the menus.

Enco

DarkUSS said:
Happened to me twice. Probably something to do with pressing Enter on the KB instead of MLB in the menus.
It was when trying to talk in game (pressing enter). Why oh why. How should that cause a problem?

For the FOV:
Find the data01.pak file in your Dead Island directory. Steam/steamapps/common/dead island/DI

Copy this file elsewhere, extract it using Winrar or Winzip.

Copy default_levels.xml located in Data/Skills

Create a folder named Data in your Documents/DeadIsland/out directory. Create another folder called Skills inside the Data folder. Paste default_levels.xml here.

Open default_levels.xml. Search for FOV. Change the number 65.2 (or whatever default is) to 90 or whatever you prefer. Save. Win.

82.5 is the sweet spot
From earlier on in this thread.

Erebus

piratepwnsninja said:
So what does one do to change the FOV now with todays patch? I think I might start playing this finally.

FOV fix:

Find the data01.pak file in your Dead Island directory. Steam/steamapps/common/dead island/DI

Copy this file elsewhere, extract it using Winrar or Winzip.

Copy default_levels.xml located in Data/Skills

Create folder Data in your Documents/DeadIsland/out directory. Create another folder called Skills inside the Data folder. Paste default_levels.xml here.

Open default_levels.xml. Search for FOV. Change number 65.2 (or whatever default is) to 90 or whatever you prefer. Save. Win.

Zimbardo said:

i think its up there.
Maybe if it was more polished and bug-free.

Enco

Not a chance in hell this is going to win GOTY.

As fun as it can be, the launch and buggy nature of it remove all chance. I'm guessing it'll b either DX3, BF3, Skyrim or U3.

DarkUSS said:
Told you it has something to do with pressing Enter on the KB. LOL.
I know, but why does that cause an issue? Pressing enter shouldn't ruin the keyboard..?

KageMaru

Metalmurphy said:
It's the PC version. We wen't from the Helicopter quest in Act I to Act II without being able to unlock the main quest. Which means we missed some quests in Act I

I wonder if this is just another PC glitch. Sorry but other than the earlier suggestion of everyone accepting the reward one at a time, I can't think of anything else. =(

Havok

Even after disabling my PS3's connection to the network, I still lost two hours to a save bug.

I think I'm done. Maybe once you hit the bargain bin, Dead Island.

They need to patch in a push to talk button for pc, so many damn mouth breathers or people blatantly having music/tv on in the background is annoying.

Top Bottom