• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

does locking picking become better over time?

early game, I got up to level 3 and found opening locked chests didnt give me better items than any other

also, it should show u that a chest is locked but u have the skill to open it. after getting lockpick 3 I couldnt tell how useful it was because it seemed to make all locked chests just look the same as unlocked ones.

also do you get to unlock doors for unique areas?

sarcoa

Milly79 said:
I just did that one. You find the file in the back of the room and that's it. I didn't have to anything with a computer.
Just found them in a room near the computer room
, thanks!

Aselith

Sullichin said:
Honestly, even if the game was technically sound, if I knew it was going to be this I probably wouldn't have bought the game. There are other problems here:

Very, very basic RPG elements:
You can't do much with most of the items except sell them or give them to sidequest characters.
No character customization
Zombies scale to your level which in my eyes prevents the game from having a sense of progress (but I suppose the deleting saves thing hurts that way more)
Respawning zombies after a pretty short period of time.. in the same locations, respawning items.
Really bad interface design

What it does right: atmosphere and zombie melee killing.

The sense of progress is in your equipment which improves significantly throughout the game and skills add a few new abilities etc. I'm pretty sure they scale zombies because they always want them to be a threat which they are in single player. Not scaling would mean you could level above them which is not appropriate for the type of game they wanted to make.

Also, I don't have issues with not being able to use most of the items. Are you talking weapons or the other items? Because the other items are used for crafting and you'll eventually need them. If you've been selling them, you are fucking up right now.

Milly79

Aselith said:
I found an orange
sewer
and a purple one
mayor's house I believe maybe police station
Well, the one in the
sewer
gives you the craft right away. I believe that's the brown one.

The orange one (I think), I found
In the city when you're going up the stairs to the super market with the punks.
It goes on the island on top of the mountain for craft #666.

The blue and purple are rumored to be
In Alicia's apartment - Moresby and can only be accessed wnen you're doing the quest.

I've heard rumors that they spawn in different locations as some have apparently found them in other places.

Aselith said:
The sense of progress is in your equipment which improves significantly throughout the game and skills add a few new abilities etc. I'm pretty sure they scale zombies because they always want them to be a threat which they are in single player. Not scaling would mean you could level above them which is not appropriate for the type of game they wanted to make.

Yeah normally I would totally agree with the original poster because you don't get as big a feeling of power as other games like new vegas with "better" scaling. In this case, as a survival horror game, I think its justified.

the scaling also made it easy for them to add the start new character at a specified chapter, which is a great idea for such a long game

Man I'm having the 360 version of this game delivered to me today and I have absolutely no idea what to expect. Opinions in this thread go from one extreme to the other.

wwm0nkey

Fleet_of_Foot said:
Man I'm having the 360 version of this game delivered to me today and I have absolutely no idea what to expect. Opinions in this thread go from one extreme to the other.
You are getting the 360 version, you will be fine lol

Digishine

Banned
DrEvil said:
Not the best thing to be admitting around here man.

I bought my copy just check my steam profile lol. i'm just saying the legit customers get fucked again. Cause now we can't play our game

Milly79

Fleet_of_Foot said:
The game is pretty much flawless on the 360. I've ran into the save corruption glitch once early on, but haven't since. The only other thing I have noticed that is annoying is trying to join a coop game. Most of the time it doesn't work through the game lobby or join session in progress.

AgentOtaku said:
At 720p, what kind of performance can I expect with this? Bound in Blood ran at pretty much locked 60 with everything all the way up

My system:

Asus G73JW Notebook
Core i7 Q740
Nvidia GTX460m
8gig Ram
Win7 64bit

My laptop is my home theather PC via HDMI and would be playing this on the couch with a controller

Thanks again GAF!

I have a very similar set up and it runs very nice, with vsync

sleepykyo

Enco said:
I'm not sure.

They released a dev version, followed by 3 patches, messed up and made plenty of people lose their saves and then they broke the game for many people again today.

Let's see, the PS3 wiped out all the profit from the previous generations and caused the selling off of other divisions.

The studio that made Lair went under.

Even if you want to keep limited to pcs and just the launch itself instead of the aftermath, Brink was multi-player shooter with broken netcode. Thus effectively ruining it's chance to be come TF2's spiritual successor.

With Dead Island, most people seem to be having fun in spite of the jank and if Techland fixes the stuff, by Dead Island 2 the launch will have been forgotten.

Aselith said:

Also, I don't have issues with not being able to use most of the items. Are you talking weapons or the other items? Because the other items are used for crafting and you'll eventually need them. If you've been selling them, you are fucking up right now.

Exactly, and really video games have skewed the idea of RPG's to be that higher level you are, the more powerful yet this is mostly a video game thing. Pen and paper RPG's have often used systems where despite your progress and experience, you did not just become godly and more powerful than less experience enemies, but you gained new abilities, skills, gear, etc that gave you more options and often helped make it easier to dispatch your enemies, but everything still posed a threat. Lot of people think RPG elements should be in line with old school level based video game design.

Sullichin

Aselith said:

I think it's a little silly I cant drink some water :p I haven't been selling the items. I know some of them are used for crafting stuff. I'm saying I wish there was stuff like armor to pick up. Looting bodies isn't that satisfying to me (also that "ducking" animation is a little nauseating).

I understand why they scale the zombies. I'm just not a huge fan of that design. When you first start Fallout 3, you might get wrecked going to Rivet City (even though you're directed that way) because the super mutants seem impossibly strong. Then after leveling up a bit you can go back and handle them with much more ease, and it's satisfying to be able to do something that you couldn't before.

But, honestly I'm only level 8 (deleting save games has a way of impeding progress), and I do hear the game takes a while to pick up.

R1CHO

I finished it... i could write a long review but... just play it! If you like the analog combat the game is great, techland really made a big effort with this tittle.

3/10 EDGE?? come on...

Sullichin said:
I think it's a little silly I cant drink some water :p I haven't been selling the items. I know some of them are used for crafting stuff. I'm saying I wish there was stuff like armor to pick up. Looting bodies isn't that satisfying to me (also that "ducking" animation is a little nauseating).

I understand why they scale the zombies. I'm just not a huge fan of that design. When you first start Fallout 3, you might get wrecked going to Rivet City (even though you're directed that way) because the super mutants seem impossibly strong. Then after leveling up a bit you can go back and handle them with much more ease, and it's satisfying to be able to do something that you couldn't before.

But, honestly I'm only level 8 (deleting save games has a way of impeding progress), and I do hear the game takes a while to pick up.
That gets balanced out by the better quality weapons you can get later in the game.

GhostRidah said:
Can you play analog on kb/m ? grayed out for me.
I don't have the PC version but that's what I hear, it's kind of a shame. Seems it would work real well with a mouse.

sazabirules said:
What junk is safe to sell and not used to make weapons?
Personally I wouldn't sell any of it because you never know (granted I'm only 10 or so hours in). I sell weapons, not parts.

bubnbob

Banned
R1CHO said:
I finished it... i could write a long review but... just play it! If you like the analog combat the game is great, techland really made a big effort with this tittle.

3/10 EDGE?? come on...

So, in your opinion is the story good? I mean, does it stay grounded in logic (aside from immunity to zombification)? Does the fact my character is immune get addressed?

Is the final boss Jacob? (LOST-GAF represent)

derFeef

robot said:
Dumb question, but are you sure they arent "Continuous Quests" - they never actually finish and always reappear on my screen when I load up a save.
It was the teddybear quest for example. Nevermind now I finished it a second time, but it is weird anyway.

Ploid 3.0

When I play I usually make a mistake and join people over and over, mostly after I level up then start to select what to upgrade. This messed me up a few times because one time the other guy left before I could (I think) and I figured it didn't need to load again since I was already in the same spot I was in before joining. Turned out I was still in his world with his mission progress. I thought the game reset my missions some how.

Selling Items

I sold a diamond. I needed fast money and figured it was probably only there to sell anyway. If some high end craft use this I'm going to kick myself.

Aselith

GhostRidah said:
That gets balanced out by the better quality weapons you can get later in the game.
Yeah, just as an example, I'm most of the way through chapter 2 and level 28 and I just found my first burst rifle which is badass. Zombies do get easier to handle regardless of scaling but through equipment.

Well, had my first real "WTF" quest moment on Xbox 360.

Did the quest where you need to save the Russian guy over near the helicopter crash site on the Resort part of the island. Did that and took him to a bunker nearby. He gives me a quest where I need to go find a cell phone and bring it back to him. Meh. I decide to do the main story quests and head over to the city and play around there for a couple of hours. I take a break for a bite to eat and fire up my 360 and bam, somehow I've completed that cell phone part of the quest...even though I haven't.

Also, finally managing to ditch my lower level weapons and take the risks on new ones. It's surprisingly hard for me to ditch them when I've put so many kills into them. :\

Stitch

Gold Member
weird, all my settings are now in the documents folder. and I was wondering why the fov looked different lol.

PaulLFC

Not liking the sound of this news of the new patch completely breaking the game. I've disabled automatic updating for now until they put out a patch that doesn't break it.

i need more different body parts to chop off. only can chop legs, arms, and head. i want to chop them into smaller pieces. sequel needs to allow that.

v0mitg0d

Aselith said:
Isn't knowing the fact you go to other places a spoiler?

For some people perhaps, but not for me. I'd just like to know if there are more maps, perhaps not the particular locations though.

-edit- I just googled my answer and.....wow! :D

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
InsertNameHere said:
Did this PS3 patch happen to fix saving problems though?

Iirc the dev said this first PS3 patch wasn't going to address that... because it came up too late. So that will be the next patch. Smh.

Meanwhile this patch wipes your progress.

lol.

KageMaru

StickSoldier said:
Damn, alright thanks for the reply.

Don't listen to him. Other than the corrupt save glitch, which I read effects both consoles, both versions are fine with each having certain advantages. There is no crap version of this game IMO.

LProtag

Evolved1 said:
Iirc the dev said this first PS3 patch wasn't going to address that... because it came up too late. So that will be the next patch. Smh.

Meanwhile this patch wipes your progress.

lol.

Huh, well I have no progress besides completing the prologue so I'm fine for now.

SteveWinwood said:
This is the purple drop. It sucked pretty quick 'cause the scaling is kinda strange.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/hasmedaoa/screenshot/558667380738519164?tab=all

Half an hour later I get a blue drop that is much better than my normal stuff.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/hasmedaoa/screenshot/558667380738519804?tab=all

You think that's nice? Check out my level 9 monster, upgraded 4 times (cost a lot of $ to do that!):
http://i.imgur.com/BNrHD.jpg

By the way, I've found so far:

Purple
Blue
Green
Gold

I actually think the gold might be the rarest? The crowbar in that pic above is 100 damage and low level

wwm0nkey

watch

Enco

Played it for nearly two hours now.

It crashed twice when I hit enter to talk. Only done one quest. Exploring the first area is pretty boring to be honest. FOV HAS to be 82.5. Any less or more and it sucks. This is all in coop.

edit: Just got another patch :lol

Heavy said:
You think that's nice? Check out my level 9 monster, upgraded 4 times (cost a lot of $ to do that!):
http://i.imgur.com/BNrHD.jpg

By the way, I've found so far:

Purple
Blue
Green
Gold

I actually think the gold might be the rarest? The crowbar in that pic above is 100 damage and low level
Jesus how'd you get that shit at level 9? Also its orange and yeah if its like mmo colors orange is better than purple, which is better than blue and then green is the worst.

Top Bottom