• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

Kacho

WinoMcCougarstein said:
This game is very tempting. Is there a lot of mission variety? On the Giant Bomb QL they said it is kind of MMO like. Does that mean a lot of "kill 5 zombies" and "collect 5 zombie teeth"?

I haven't come across anything like that, but you do get quests to collect X number of car parts or X bottles of alcohol. It never struck me as MMO-like when I was playing though.

I would recommend waiting for a price drop. After 10 hours or so I think the game is very poor.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Thank you everyone for the info. I think I'll wait until it's $20-30.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Well I've lost my progress on this gas station mission about half a dozen times now (this is not an exaggeration unfortunately) including an exciting weapon pickup, and I'm about to break this fucking disc.

Everything seems ok, and then I notice it's not registering trophy progress. Over and over. Fuck this game. I'm trading it in (I can't get my money back but I'll make sure gamestop gets the next person's cash rather than these devs) and never buying anything from them again.

Hey... some more fun bugs from the last few hours: fully upgrade and mod a weapon, it disappears from my inventory. Gone. Awesome! (edit: at least I got the trophy for it!)

Flip a switch at the gas station to progress the quest, light turns red but the game doesn't acknowledge the action. Still says I have to flip it. Well ok... at least I just saw an autosave. Sure, if I load that I'll be completely surrounded by zombies when I pop back in, and probably fucked, but at least I have a chance to finish the (main) quest story.

*reloads*

Oh awesome... I'm about two hours back from where I was and now I have to do everything again... this game is great.!

I really like this game but I find it hard to play alone. I'm up to chapter 3 now and it's telling me I can't find anyone to play with online that has similar progress. Bullshit.

FGMPR

Banned
Evolved1 said:
Well I've lost my progress on this gas station mission about half a dozen times now (this is not an exaggeration unfortunately) including an exciting weapon pickup, and I'm about to break this fucking disc.

Everything seems ok, and then I notice it's not registering trophy progress. Over and over. Fuck this game. I'm trading it in (I can;t get my money back but I'll make sure gamestop get the next person's cash rather than these devs) and never buying anything from them again.

Hey... some more fun bugs from the last few hours: fully upgrade and mod a weapon, it disappears from my inventory. Gone. Awesome!

Flip a switch at the gas station to progress the quest, light turns red but the game doesn't acknowledge the action. Still says I have to flip it. Well ok... at least I just saw an autosave. Sure, if I load that I'll be completely surrounded by zombies when I pop back in, and probably fucked, but at least I have a chance to finish the (main) quest story.

*reloads*

Oh awesome... I'm about two hours back from where I was and now I have to do everything again... this game is great.!

^ you poor bastard. Some Euro-jank should be expected, but that is completely unacceptable.

...and I thought the PC version was shoddy.

Flunkie

Banned
InsertNameHere said:
My friend plays as Sam B and I play as Xian... I do better against thugs than he does. I get in there and chop off limbs using analog really easy. Sometimes if I'm lucky I get their arm right when they're swinging at me.
Lucky? This is me like 90% of the time.

FGMPR said:
http://www.theplaywrite.com/tools-a...ng-to-edit-files/comment-page-1/#comment-1481

OK, apparently this program has fixes for the following:

Remove stuttering / jerkiness caused by repeated keystrokes… without using Filter Keys

Fixes sluggish mouse in menus

Disable / enable SSAO shader for increased performance on some configurations (NVIDIA only)

Disable / enable motion blur, as some people just don’t like it

NEW in v1.1: Disable / enable bloom and weapon refraction
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm yet to try it but I saw the post above about the mouse movement and I remembered reading about this. I can't promise anything ala VAC issues obviously though.
disabled everything because i hated it lol.
and just noticed i have a longer health bar. lol.

Teknoman

Guess i'm just lucky with this game. Worst glitch i've ever experienced was kicking a beach ball so hard, it disappeared. I'm not counting the save game stuff early on when they removed no clip, because that makes sense.

d0c_zaius

yea with all the tweaks I'm happy with the PC version. Bloom and motion blur gone, vsync on and fov fixed.

its rough around the edges (especially with some bugs), but its graphically solid and pretty fun.

TheExodu5 said:
How did you apply those tweaks? Those are exactly the tweaks I want for the game.

The vsync and motion blur I removed by editing scr files. But the recently released config helper works great.

TheExodu5

Banned
d0c_zaius said:
yea with all the tweaks I'm happy with the PC version. Bloom and motion blur gone, vsync on and fov fixed.

its rough around the edges (especially with some bugs), but its graphically solid and pretty fun.

How did you apply those tweaks? Those are exactly the tweaks I want for the game.

Playing on PS3 here and loving the game so far. I ran into the save glitch a few times when I was first starting out. However, I've since remained signed out of psn and haven't encountered the glitch again. It might just be coincidence but I'm just letting other people know in case it works for them as well. Aside from the many many technical issues, the game is an awesome surprise for me. Having a ton of fun!

I'm leaving this game for now.

I lose my progress every time I restart the console(PS3). I've lost more then 6 hours of gameplay and been put 4 ranks down...twice.

I've unlocked 3 trophies in game that did not unlock on the trophy list.

Very sad because I'm really enjoying this game.

PATCH THIS NOW!

Sullichin

kingofthedead45 said:
Ps3 servers down for any one else? couldn't join a friends game at all for a bit and then it just wouldn't load the match making screen

Tried to join a few randoms games before with no luck

So trophies don't work on this game at all?

I just broke a door down in one hit, it came up on the screen trophy complete 100 xp but I didn't actually get the trophy, buggy ass shit.

Edit: Ah not just me, pretty basic screw up.

Sullichin

kyo_daikun said:
So trophies don't work on this game at all?

I just broke a door down in one hit, it came up on the screen trophy complete 100 xp but I didn't actually get the trophy, buggy ass shit.

Edit: Ah not just me, pretty basic screw up.

In my experience MOST things about this game (PS3) are broken :p

Burger

Anyone want to play co-op on 360? The lobby is fuct, and doesn't work. I'm on chapter 3 (resort). Gamertag is Tanner Reality

Sullichin said:
In my experience MOST things about this game (PS3) are broken :p

Ah great lol, it's been ok so far apart from this, wonder if we have to delete our save file to unlock trophies whenever they bother to fix it?

A question for those on Act III in the forest

How the hell do you get to that base to finish the quest Voice from Above the Sky?" The stupid path thing keeps leading me into the Ghost Town to a rock and invisible walls. I can see the bunker, but can't figure out how to get to it. I tried going the other way and no dice....wtf?!

Angelus Errare said:

How the hell do you get to that base to finish the quest Voice from Above the Sky?" The stupid path thing keeps leading me into the Ghost Town to a rock and invisible walls. I can see the bunker, but can't figure out how to get to it. I tried going the other way and no dice....wtf?!
Yea that map path is bugged, you have to go around, just use the map, follow the main road.

It sucks this game has so many technical issues on the PC and PS3... It really is quite awesome when everything's working.

Quick question, someone here said there's a perk that gives you more XP but I don't see it anywhere on the skill tree. Does Logan have it?

Burger said:
Anyone want to play co-op on 360? The lobby is fuct, and doesn't work. I'm on chapter 3 (resort). Gamertag is Tanner Reality

What have you done in chapter 3? I have literally just started it and have no desire to go to the
hotel car park
alone :p

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I honestly believe I deserve a full refund. Never said that about a videogame before.

Angelus Errare said:

follow the wall to the left and cut through the lake. it will bring you to the path and you can follow that to the hidden bunker.

Does Techland have a high turnover rate, or was the project just too ambitious? I don't remember the first 2 CoJ's being buggy at all. Apples and oranges I guess, but still.

canadian crowe said:
Does Techland have a high turnover rate, or was the project just too ambitious? I don't remember the first 2 CoJ's being buggy at all. Apples and oranges I guess, but still.
Yeah I guess that's the difference between making an open world action RPG and a series of linear corridor shooters (not a knock, I liked CoJ BiB quite a bit).

I just played CoJ The Cartel and while I didn't really like it, on a technical level it was fine. So I think it was just the ambition of the project like you said; I guess they bit off a little more than they could chew.

Hopefully it'll all get resolved by patches sooner than later.

InsertNameHere said:
My friend plays as Sam B and I play as Xian... I do better against thugs than he does. I get in there and chop off limbs using analog really easy. Sometimes if I'm lucky I get their arm right when they're swinging at me.

I need to try analog mode, I'm using digital.

I've only encountered a couple glitches and they weren't anything bad. The first one was when I clicked to exit out of the game it somehow took to some random person's game that was going on. The second glitch was an achievement popping up when the game was loading after clicking "Play" in Steam. I checked the description and it had to do with killing so many zombies a certain way.

Neuromancer said:
Yeah I guess that's the difference between making an open world action RPG and a series of linear corridor shooters (not a knock, I liked CoJ BiB quite a bit).

I just played CoJ The Cartel and while I didn't really like it, on a technical level it was fine. So I think it was just the ambition of the project like you said; I guess they bit off a little more than they could chew.

Hopefully it'll all get resolved by patches sooner than later.
Yeah I'm a big fan of Techland, I appreciate that they are willing to take risks.

Hopefully the glitches won't disuade customers from buying their games. Underneath all of the glitches Dead Island is the best zombie game on the market, and the best survival horror game this gen on a tension level.

Ok fuckin shit!

So I'm in Act III trying to kill Vargas, I went there with almost no life (dumb I know). Anyways took out like 4 of his goons with my katana (feeling like a badass). Then I'm killed, thinking the game would spawn me I dunno a few feet away.......this shit spawns me all the way back at the fucking village?!!?!?!?! FUCKING REALLY?!?! To top it off for some reason the map guide is glitched so it only shows a straight line to my destination.

UGGGHH

Edit: Sigh just tried exiting and going back in, the map pathing is still fucked up. Anyone at Act III who can lead me to Vargas? =(

Teknoman

Can you actually find the airplane that crashed in Act 1, the resort area? A woman asked us to find it, but i'm not sure if thats something that happens later. Regardless, i'll be up for clearing out all of Act 1 before returning to the city for Act 2.

Teknoman said:
Can you actually find the airplane that crashed in Act 1, the resort area? A woman asked us to find it, but i'm not sure if thats something that happens later. Regardless, i'll be up for clearing out all of Act 1 before returning to the city for Act 2.
I'm in the city now and I haven't seen it, I suspect maybe that's not until Act 3.

The M.O.B

Teknoman said:

Yes, but you can't find it until Act 3.

Just watched the GB quick look, Im now interested, but I keep hearing this compared to Borderlands, I know thats due to loot/quest, but how does the co-op compare? in Borderlands co-op made the game what it was

Starting a new game with a new character, thinking of going Purna because her rage mechanic is pretty sweet.

If anyone on PC wants to play, send me a message steam name: ghost

Little tip, if your not unlocking trophies it means your save data is bugged and its not actually saving your progress >.<

In other words just quit out and don't watse 4 hours of your life like I just did (found this on ps3trophies after I unlocked like another 4 trophies and nothing happened)

PaulLFC

Is there anywhere to store items? Or do weapons you drop in the lifeguard house stay there? I'm carrying the max number of weapons at the moment and don't really want to throw one away in the middle of nowhere if I find a better weapon.

Burger said:
Yeah mate it was much better than going it alone. Do you have a mic?

I do! Sorry, I couldn't get to it because I've fucked up my ankle and am pretty much tied to the sofa until it's healed, lol.

I had someone join my game and when I opted out, it skipped 3 main quests (I am now suddenly in Act II on the other side of the map on some shop) but it says I've already been to the church.. wut.

Fucks sake. Now I have to traverse the entire map with a kitchen knife.

Top Bottom