• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

Stitch

Gold Member
Phonomezer said:
Man, everything is harder in Act II, so many undead around too.
yes, they are also much stronger and much faster. they even throw their fucking weapons at you.

died so many times in the city... oh and guns suck.

The M.O.B

Stitch said:
yes, they are also much stronger and much faster. they even throw their fucking weapons at you.

Yea, I only use guns on the human gangsters. For zombies guns are weak even when you do headshots.

Zimbardo

i'm lvl 42 now with 89% game completion ...still act 3.

awesome amount of content in this game.

love it.

pc version working great. not one crash in over 20 hours.

Artadius

Sharing some awesome fixes with the rest of GAF from a friend via Something Awful. I've scanned them and they're clean, feel free to do the same if you're hesitant obviously. They're just xml and script file changes.

The Deep Silver devs have also posted and said that using these fixes will NOT ban you via VAC.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33911782/Data.zip

Unzip that file to your User\My Documents\Deadisland\out folder

Included fixes.
* TURNED OFF COOP MICROPHONE AUDIO
* 16:10 FOV fix (Change 74 to 82.5 if you're 16:9 in default_levels.xml in the skills folder)
* Disabled Motion blur
* Disabled Bloom
* Disabled weapon swinging blur
* Fixed mouse sensitivity & in zoomed mode (set the mouse sensitivity to default)
* Improved player movement
* Health Hud does not disappear
* fixed auto-equiping alcohol and medkits

Consoles, you jelly?

Also note, if anything changed from this you don't like, just delete the Data directory from the unzip folder to revert to normal.

Stitch said:

The first mission I was given was on the other side of the map, too.

I was like bitch, PLEASE. Co-op, methinks :p

Varna

Damn. ACT II is awesome. Just the scenery alone is amazing. This is a damn good looking game. Kind of reminds me of RE5... but actually scary and with some atmosphere.

Just got a 2 handed axe and on my first kill I cleaved a zombie in two from should to crotch, it was some serious Gregor Clegane shit. Hasn't happened again since though :(

TheBear

Obviously Act II takes place in a city and theres human gangsters.
Two things I didn't know anything about until reading your posts. It's only minor but I would still consider it a spoiler.

The M.O.B

bigjimmystyle said:
Obviously Act II takes place in a city and theres human gangsters.
Two things I didn't know anything about until reading your posts. It's only minor but I would still consider it a spoiler.

My fault, they showed this stuff in some of the trailers so I thought there was no need. But still you don't know what these things look like so there is still some element of surprise for you I suppose.

Metalmurphy said:
AA works for you? It does nothing for me.

Revolutionary said:
I'm fairly sure that a good number of the settings in the Video.scr file do not work as intended, especially AA.
From what I can gather, the only variables that actually make a change are the Shadow ones.
They should've named it Placebo.scr

Have you guys got the PostProcess("Normal") line in your Video.scr? My AA started working after I added it, I assume it's using some type of post-processing based edge AA.

TheBear

The M.O.B said:
My fault, they showed this stuff in some of the trailers so I thought there was no need. But still you don't know what these things look like so there is still some element of surprise for you I suppose.

It's ok, I only learnt how to spoiler tag the other day myself :p

Max

I am not Max
Artadius said:
Sharing some awesome fixes with the rest of GAF from a friend via Something Awful. I've scanned them and they're clean, feel free to do the same if you're hesitant obviously. They're just xml and script file changes.

The Deep Silver devs have also posted and said that using these fixes will NOT ban you via VAC.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33911782/Data.zip

Unzip that file to your User\My Documents\Deadisland\out folder

Included fixes.
* TURNED OFF COOP MICROPHONE AUDIO
* 16:10 FOV fix (Change 74 to 82.5 if you're 16:9 in default_levels.xml in the skills folder)
* Disabled Motion blur
* Disabled Bloom
* Disabled weapon swinging blur
* Fixed mouse sensitivity & in zoomed mode (set the mouse sensitivity to default)
* Improved player movement
* Health Hud does not disappear
* fixed auto-equiping alcohol and medkits

Consoles, you jelly?
Thanks for posting this, checking it out now :D

edit: can't skip the intro anymore?

jim-jam bongs said:
Have you guys got the PostProcess("Normal") line in your Video.scr? My AA started working after I added it, I assume it's using some type of post-processing based edge AA.

I've been using this for a while and some other enhancements. The game looks fantastic to me but I still have some minor jaggies. Here is what's in my video.scr:

Resolution(1920,1080)
Monitor(0)
BPP(32)
FSAA(16)
TexBPP(32)
TextureQuality("High")
Filtering("AnisotropicTrilinear")
Fullscreen()
Shadows("High")
ShadowMapSize(2048)
SpotShadowMapSize(4096)
Lightmaps()
GammaFloat(1.00)
MaxRefresh(60)
MaterialQuality(0)
FXQuality(4)
FXFadeLevel(0)
WaterQuality(0)
GrassQuality(0)
EnvQuality("FullDynamic")
ShaderPath(5)
PostProcess("Normal")
VSync(disable)
DisplayDeviceType(0,0.000000,1.000000,1.000000,1.000000)

The VSync(disable) line gets ride of the Keyboard+Mouse stuttering issue with the trade off being horrible screen tearing in the opening cutscene. I haven't seen much screen tearing elsewhere.

Just got to the city today. Wow it's huge, and this game is awesome and tons of fun. In fact I'd go so far as to say it's the best melee based first person action game (sorry Condemned) and the best zombie game (sorry Dead Rising) I've ever played.

I know some people probably don't think the penalty for death is severe enough but I can't complain, I like my games to flow with as little BS as possible.

Aselith

Well, I just beat the game (took 21 hours and I did every quest that wasn't fucked up by bugs) and I went to do new game plus and the game crashes every time I try to load the save. FUUUUUUCKKK THIS SHIT

jim-jam bongs said:
Yep, no difference for me. I've taken before and after shots of default maxed and edited maxed (pretty much the settings posted above) and there is literally no difference aside from the shadow quality.
What card are you using?

eshwaaz

Aselith said:
Well, I just beat the game (took 21 hours and I did every quest that wasn't fucked up by bugs) and I went to do new game plus and the game crashes every time I try to load the save. FUUUUUUCKKK THIS SHIT
May I ask if you played solo or co-op?

Neuromancer said:
Just got to the city today. Wow it's huge, and this game is awesome and tons of fun. In fact I'd go so far as to say it's the best melee based first person action game (sorry Condemned) and the best zombie game (sorry Dead Rising) I've ever played.

I know some people probably don't think the penalty for death is severe enough but I can't complain, I like my games to flow with as little BS as possible.

Yeah, I think deaths are handled well for what the game is. I can't imagine having to do entire missions from the start or having to load the checkpoint; it would be infuriating.

I suppose this is to make up with the lack of a quicksave/load :p

Agreed about best zombie game... sorry L4D :(

Phonomezer said:
Agreed about best zombie game... sorry L4D :(
Wasn't even a contest as far as I was concerned, haha. Yeah seriously other than jankiness and technical issues this game is 10x the game L4D is, and I liked L4D.

Aselith

eshwaaz said:
Very cool! How was the difficulty/frustration factor overall?

Nonexistent due to the way death works. Sometimes I'd get mobbed by like 3 dudes that literally came from behind me when I had my back to the wall and that'd feel like the biggest bullshit ever of course but it starts you right there so it was whatever.

I also grew a bit frustrated with the way force works in the game because I'd kick a dude to knock him off balance and then even if I hit him with a maul or something with a ton of force on it, they'd still a lot of times just jump through my blow and hit me anyway like they shrugged it off. That gotta be messed up somehow. It makes it very hard to survive by yourself because you can expect to be hit a lot whether you got the first blow or not. This makes it extremely hard to deal with groups quickly by yourself. I died about 127 times in the game.

The biggest frustration for me is that the story cutscenes don't make any fucking sense if you play solo. I wish they had just done the story through in game conversations Half-Life style because I go through the game by myself and then the cutscene cuts in and, Hey, the whole teams here! Hey-yo! It was completely disconnected from my experience playing the game and that just took me completely out of the story. Not that it was a great story or anything but it made it so I couldn't buy into it even a little bit.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I agree, this is easily the best zombie game ever made. It's like Dead Rising, Borderlands and Fallout had a love child in the Caribbean.

Is anyone having issues joining games? I got the PS3 version. Played with a friend in Co Op for 4 hours, turned it on today and I'm at Chapter 1 like I never played at all, except I'm level 6. I go to the game lobby and everyone's name is greyed out and I can't join or invite anyone. This is seriously, incredibly infuriating cause I've been trying to play with a friend for the better part of an hour now :l

Teknoman

Neuromancer said:
Wasn't even a contest as far as I was concerned, haha. Yeah seriously other than jankiness and technical issues this game is 10x the game L4D is, and I liked L4D.

I'll say. Its actually scary at times (or at least tense/can catch you with jump scares).

Jak140

Is this shit fixed for PC yet? I don't want to start playing again until I know my save won't get fucked up again like it did after the first patch. Has it received a second patch and is co-op working again?

DMPrince said:
check in the game. you still have to collect the items to make it lol.

Everyone had the ripper mod in the beginning, but I'm pretty sure they took it away from everyone who did not pre-order with steam after the first patch. I know I got mine pre-ordering from GMG and the patch removed the DLC for me while fucking up a lot of other things.

Zafir

Aselith said:
Nonexistent due to the way death works. Sometimes I'd get mobbed by like 3 dudes that literally came from behind me when I had my back to the wall and that'd feel like the biggest bullshit ever of course but it starts you right there so it was whatever.

I also grew a bit frustrated with the way force works in the game because I'd kick a dude to knock him off balance and then even if I hit him with a maul or something with a ton of force on it, they'd still a lot of times just jump through my blow and hit me anyway like they shrugged it off. That gotta be messed up somehow. It makes it very hard to survive by yourself because you can expect to be hit a lot whether you got the first blow or not. This makes it extremely hard to deal with groups quickly by yourself. I died about 127 times in the game.

The biggest frustration for me is that the story cutscenes don't make any fucking sense if you play solo. I wish they had just done the story through in game conversations Half-Life style because I go through the game by myself and then the cutscene cuts in and, Hey, the whole teams here! Hey-yo! It was completely disconnected from my experience playing the game and that just took me completely out of the story. Not that it was a great story or anything but it made it so I couldn't buy into it even a little bit.
I dunno about the respawning. I've respawned like 600m away from where I was! Oh and I wish I was exaggerating. I ended up having to reload from checkpoint, else it would have taken me ages to get back to where I was.

Aselith

Teknoman said:
I'll say. Its actually scary at times (or at least tense/can catch you with jump scares).

That's news to me. I don't ever think I was even startled by anything that happened in this game. It has a nice atmosphere in it but I'd describe it more like the typical dreariness and desolation of a Stalker game without the scary parts. Stalker actually made me edgy a few times down in tunnel areas.

ironcreed

Banned
Varna said:
Damn. ACT II is awesome. Just the scenery alone is amazing. This is a damn good looking game. Kind of reminds me of RE5... but actually scary and with some atmosphere.

Indeed it is. Walking around the slums of the city is tense as hell. There is a lot to be said for the pacing of this game. It just builds and builds at a perfect rate. The vibe truly feels like desperation and survival.

ezekial45

Banned
Drewsky said:
What do you mean sloppy? I'm thinking about picking it up.
The PS3 version is really sluggish in terms of framerate. Plus the texture pop in gets REALLY bad. Not to mention it's crashed on me after exiting a building.

It seems like the 360 version runs a bit better. I may be wrong though. Can anyone on the 360 care to comment?

The combat itself is the scary part of the game. It's intense and barbaric.

Revolutionary said:
Yep, no difference for me. I've taken before and after shots of default maxed and edited maxed (pretty much the settings posted above) and there is literally no difference aside from the shadow quality.
What card are you using?

I went back after reading this and tried a before and after, I'm now convinced it's not working. On top of that, the game had removed the PostProcess line from my file anyway. Placebo.scr indeed.

Jak140 said:
Everyone had the ripper mod in the beginning, but I'm pretty sure they took it away from everyone who did not pre-order with steam after the first patch. I know I got mine pre-ordering from GMG and the patch removed the DLC for me while fucking up a lot of other things.
oh? so they removed the ripper mod? it didn't include the actual weapon right? because as far as mod goes i still had mine even after the save wipe.

ezekial45 said:
The PS3 version is really sluggish in terms of framerate. Plus the texture pop in gets REALLY bad. Not to mention it's crashed on me after exiting a building.

It seems like the 360 version runs a bit better. I may be wrong though. Can anyone on the 360 care to comment?
I've put about 3 hours into the 360 version. No complaints about performance at all.

Artadius

To skip the opening cinematics in Steam library, right click on Dead Island and choose Properties.

Then go to Set Launch Options.

Then type in: -nologos

That'll skip the opening cinematics without messing with any files or renaming anything.

--------------

The file I linked earlier might not actually be disabling coop voice to talk... we've had mixed results.

Gibbed from Something Awful (fairly famous modder from Borderlands and Just Cause 2 fame) just got this and should be spitting out some quality mods in the near future for PC users.

Aselith said:

You've pretty much summed up my experiences so far.

Played 6 straight hours of this today with three friends and we had an absolute blast (PC version). So much laughter and fun times were had with curb-stomping zombies.

Teknoman

Aselith said:
That's news to me. I don't ever think I was even startled by anything that happened in this game. It has a nice atmosphere in it but I'd describe it more like the typical dreariness and desolation of a Stalker game without the scary parts. Stalker actually made me edgy a few times down in tunnel areas.

Well it happens in co-op if you're talking to someone else/watching what they're doing, you open a door and BAM zombie. Its more or less not paying attention to your surroundings for a second.

If seeing the other characters in cutscenes during solo play bothers you, do what I do and imagine they're just figments of your character's imagination. Kind of like 3 Tyler Durdens.

Aselith

Neuromancer said:
If seeing the other characters in cutscenes during solo play bothers you, do what I do and imagine they're just figments of your character's imagination. Kind of like 3 Tyler Durdens.

It didn't really bother me so much as it made me write off the story part of the game. Like, I didn't give a shit about the story anymore at all after that cause this is not my story, it's someone else's so I'll just hit B and skip over it. Normally, I will watch every cutscene in a game good story or not but not for Dead Island. Also, shit like this happening didn't help:

FD44030809A6196902C75B5E85A6B3CF3C5DE434

FD44030809A6196902C75B5E85A6B3CF3C5DE434

Teknoman said:
Well it happens in co-op if you're talking to someone else/watching what they're doing, you open a door and BAM zombie. Its more or less not paying attention to your surroundings for a second.

I could see that. You always hear those coming on single player because it makes a specific Zombie-on-the-other-side zombie sound if there's one on the other side of the door. I can see how being distracted would cause some surprises there if you didn't hear it.

AEREC

So how would this game run on a i7 @ 2.93 GHz and a GTX 460 1GB?

The Giant Bomb quick look made me very interested in this game.

Top Bottom