• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

Aselith

AEREC said:
So how would this game run on a i7 @ 2.93 GHz and a GTX 460 1GB?

The Giant Bomb quick look made me very interested in this game.

It should run very well. The game is not very challenging hardware-wise at all.

Peagles

Whoops! I should stop opening this thread. Too many spoilers now.

Maybe I'll come back in here to read up and discuss when I'm finished my first playthrough...

Game is way better than I had personally anticipated. I knew I would like it to some extent but after a few hours of play I'm just flat out addicted to this shit.

My only problem is that the music, while not bad, seems to play during inappropriate moments. I go into a dark building and it's still playing this upbeat music. So I turned the music off and all of a sudden its far creepier-- obviously.

But whatever, game is awesome as hell and I'm actually digging the quest structure. I did find the analog combat to be kind of convoluted, which is strange after some of the praise I've seen. Pretty great of them to make both styles optional I guess.

jim-jam bongs said:
I went back after reading this and tried a before and after, I'm now convinced it's not working. On top of that, the game had removed the PostProcess line from my file anyway. Placebo.scr indeed.
Ha! I knew I wasn't crazy. I felt like I was the only one that didn't see any difference whatsoever in a majority of the settings. The water looks the same, higher quality objects load in at the same distance, etc.

Teknoman

brandonh83 said:
Game is way better than I had personally anticipated. I knew I would like it to some extent but after a few hours of play I'm just flat out addicted to this shit.

My only problem is that the music, while not bad, seems to play during inappropriate moments. I go into a dark building and it's still playing this upbeat music. So I turned the music off and all of a sudden its far creepier-- obviously.

But whatever, game is awesome as hell and I'm actually digging the quest structure. I did find the analog combat to be kind of convoluted, which is strange after some of the praise I've seen. Pretty great of them to make both styles optional I guess.

Strange, the music seemed to be pretty fitting on my end, unless it randomly plays tracks.

vaelic

Banned
problem. when you join the multiplayer lobby, it will quickly show chapter 2, 3 etc... but then it blinks and all you see are chapter 1 games.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I was having fun with this game on 360, but I can only play for 30 minutes before I catch motion sickness. >:|

The leveling system seems...slow? Maybe I was just running through it. Made it to the section where you
get the car parts
and I was only at lvl. 2.

How fast does Rage build?

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
If I'm playing though the game in single player how much will it mess up my single player game if I randomly join a multiplayer game? Will my progress in the story potentially be fucked up after I leave?

vaelic

Banned
killed a zombie chasing me and this is how he ended up :)

zombiebench.jpg

Varna

Pretty much knew I would be skipping every single cutscene and dialogue as soon as I saw the playable characters. I know I'm not missing anything.

The city is so much harder then the resort. I feel like I'm barely making enough to repair my modded up weapons. Not to mention those runners come in nearly endless waves now and that makes defending very tricky. I'm fairly certain I kind of screwed myself with my stats. Once I saw the skill trees I knew I wanted a bunch of stuff from the survival tree... I'm at level 21 and I don't have a single point in anything but the survival tree.

They really need to patch in keyboard chat for gamepad users. I'm playing this on my comfy couch and I don't have one of those 360 mics so I'm pretty much screwed communication wise.

Holy shit! 35k people playing this on Steam. I thought this game was going to be ok, but that shit is bananas. Are the bugs with the pc version fixed? The dev version removed?

Aselith

Lasthope106 said:
Holy shit! 35k people playing this on Steam. I thought this game was going to be ok, but that shit is bananas. Are the bugs with the pc version fixed? The dev version removed?

It's in better shape but still some stuff to work out. And yeah I think the game is doing pretty well. I'll be interested to see the NPD results.

Baha

Lasthope106 said:

Not sure about the bugs but the community has done a hell of a job offering performance tweaks. My only major complaint at this point is how open mic is forced in multiplayer, Techland needs to patch that soon.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Varna said:
Pretty much knew I would be skipping every single cutscene and dialogue as soon as I saw the playable characters. I know I'm not missing anything.

The city is so much harder then the resort. I feel like I'm barely making enough to repair my modded up weapons. Not to mention those runners come in nearly endless waves now and that makes defending very tricky. I'm fairly certain I kind of screwed myself with my stats. Once I saw the skill trees I knew I wanted a bunch of stuff from the survival tree... I'm at level 21 and I don't have a single point in anything but the survival tree.

They really need to patch in keyboard chat for gamepad users. I'm playing this on my comfy couch and I don't have one of those 360 mics so I'm pretty much screwed communication wise.

Jump on the cars to avoid the runners.

Zafir

Aselith said:
It didn't really bother me so much as it made me write off the story part of the game. Like, I didn't give a shit about the story anymore at all after that cause this is not my story, it's someone else's so I'll just hit B and skip over it. Normally, I will watch every cutscene in a game good story or not but not for Dead Island. Also, shit like this happening didn't help:

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/559793280629934698/FD44030809A6196902C75B5E85A6B3CF3C5DE434/[/IMG/]

[IMG]http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/559793280629934698/FD44030809A6196902C75B5E85A6B3CF3C5DE434/[/IMG/]

I could see that. You always hear those coming on single player because it makes a specific Zombie-on-the-other-side zombie sound if there's one on the other side of the door. I can see how being distracted would cause some surprises there if you didn't hear it.[/QUOTE]
That glitch happened on exactly the same cutscene for me, and my friend who was cooping with me. Kind of distracting. I thought the other cutscenes were fine though. I wish there was more cutscenes actually. At the moment I don't really care that much for any of the survivors to be honest.

sleepykyo

Drewsky said:
What do you mean sloppy? I'm thinking about picking it up.

Save file issues.

Mediocre frame rate and rampant screen tearing.

Also came across the worst extreme stuttering in
the city
I've ever seen when I set it psn on the options screen. I was still playing single player though so it wasn't a lag stutter.

Oh and the game booted me out to the xmb screen suddenly.

It's a fun game when it works, but even the Fallout games aren't this buggy.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Lasthope106 said:
What the fuck! Amazon run out of keys! Anywhere else where I might get this on the cheap for pc?

damn this is selling insanely well. 35k peak on steam and sites selling cd keys like amazon and gmg running out of keys holy shit.

btw next best place afaik is green man gaming with 20% off and if u use a ref link u get a $5 credit.

Lasthope106 said:

Awesome. I had a lot of people on my friend list asking me if it was any good or not. Today most of them are playing it. Word of mouth is strong with Dead Island.

Varna

sazabirules said:
Jump on the cars to avoid the runners.

This works a good number of the time. Except when they kind of clip into each other and are able to knock me off. :(

EDIT: Why is it some normal zombies are able to knock me back like the bigger ones? Seems kind of random.

Baha

Lasthope106 said:
What the fuck! Amazon run out of keys! Anywhere else where I might get this on the cheap for pc?

$40 at greenman gaming if you use this coupon: GREENMANGAMING1, also you can get $5 store credit with your first purchase if you use a referral link. Lemme know if you would like my link.

Arkaerial

Unconfirmed Member
Phonomezer said:
Awesome. I had a lot of people on my friend list asking me if it was any good or not. Today most of them are playing it. Word of mouth is strong with Dead Island.

That's exactly what happened on my friends list. Not to mention most of them really enjoy it.

Aselith

Varna said:
This works a good number of the time. Except when they kind of clip into each other and are able to knock me off. :(

EDIT: Why is it some normal zombies are able to knock me back like the bigger ones? Seems kind of random.

If they charge you, it'll knock you back afaik. So try to move to the side if one comes running at you. Best thing to do though unless a bunch are running at you is to kick the one charging you. It'll stop them and knock them off balance.

HOWEVER, I've noticed that if you time it perfectly, you can one hit kill most zombies by chopping their head when they charge you. It seems to do a LOT more damage if they're charging you full bore and you time it perfectly. It's hard to do though.

The M.O.B

Varna said:

If you run out of stamina, any zombie that hits you will knock you down.

Baha

Gez said:
$34 from Greenman Gaming if you use the code GREEN-MANGA-MING1 at checkout.

Not anymore. Dead Island is $49.99 now, no more 15% off pre-order since the game has launched worldwide by now.

Derrick01

Banned
Lasthope106 said:

I'm still not even sure if I feel like they deserve that number or not. The game's picking up a bit in Act 2 but between the awful and boring Act 1, the launch garbage, and general sucky performance and console FOV I'm still pretty sour on the game.

PC version is working fine for me now but we still have to rely on community fixes for things the Devs should have fixed, especially since they claimed it wasn't a console port.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just got to Act II, currently at level 16, and just got my first firearm! I'm enjoying this game quite a bit!

just beat this game and loved every second of it! didn't experience a single crash, hickup, or bug (PC version). I did have to tweak it a bit by enabling vsync and also fixing the FOV to 82.5 (90 was too weird looking). there was a ton of content and i loved the variety of missions as well. hopefully a trainer comes out soon because I would love messing around in the world with godmode weapons on game+ mode.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Baha said:
Not anymore. Dead Island is $49.99 now, no more 15% off pre-order since the game has launched worldwide by now.

Still $39.95 or something with that code. Plus, no tax!

FGMPR

Banned
Derrick01 said:
I'm still not even sure if I feel like they deserve that number or not. The game's picking up a bit in Act 2 but between the awful and boring Act 1, the launch garbage, and general sucky performance and console FOV I'm still pretty sour on the game.

PC version is working fine for me now but we still have to rely on community fixes for things the Devs should have fixed, especially since they claimed it wasn't a console port.

I agree the game is in poor shape, but there's nothing wrong with the games performance. Its optimized very well, imo.

What's the deal with the EDGE review? How could they find it s much worse than everyone else is?

Could a few people just tell me if it's long enough or addicting enough, or does it run out of steam pretty fast?

Aselith

Small Mailman said:
What's the deal with the EDGE review? How could they find it s much worse than everyone else is?

Could a few people just tell me if it's long enough or addicting enough, or does it run out of steam pretty fast?

My playthrough was 21 hours and I enjoyed it the whole way.

Small Mailman said:

EDGE just being "edgy"

Card Boy

Banned
Small Mailman said:

Edge reviews should really be banned from Gamerankings and Metacritic. Fine everybody is entitled to their option, but these guys just trash everything in sight.

Case in point

IdR8x.png

FGMPR

Banned
Small Mailman said:

I have no idea how anyone could rate this game 3/10.

vaelic

Banned
no one else have this issue?

when I open the game lobby chapter 2 games show up(I'm on ch.2 right now), but then suddenly disappear after about half a second, leaving only chapter 1 games to join into. This leaves me to just randomly clicking join hoping I get into a games with at least a couple people.
Is this the case for anyone else?

I really wish you could toggle Analog and Digital combat without having to go in the options.

I love the analog combat but it just isn't as fast for groups of zombies. Also I seem to have trouble hitting zombies on the ground with it.

Small Mailman said:

I'm pretty sure Edge considers a score of 5 to be average, so a 3 just means worse than average to them. I don't agree with the score but of couse they're entitled to their opinion. (I've not actually read the review yet.)

Max

I am not Max
Artadius said:
To skip the opening cinematics in Steam library, right click on Dead Island and choose Properties.

Then go to Set Launch Options.

Then type in: -nologos

That'll skip the opening cinematics without messing with any files or renaming anything.

--------------

The file I linked earlier might not actually be disabling coop voice to talk... we've had mixed results.

Gibbed from Something Awful (fairly famous modder from Borderlands and Just Cause 2 fame) just got this and should be spitting out some quality mods in the near future for PC users.
thanks again friend

Ledsen

Gez said:
Edge reviews should really be banned from Gamerankings and Metacritic. Fine everybody is entitled to their option, but these guys just trash everything in sight.

Case in point

IdR8x.png
So their average is close to the actual average on their scale? Oh no, how horrible! They don't use the 7-10 scale, ban them now!

Top Bottom