• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

ironcreed

Banned
Evolved1 said:
I don't recall seeing any join notifications while playing with it set to LAN mode... I also don't recall any problems with progress being erased or game saves getting nuked in that mode either.

Nope. You get a shitton of notifications in SP mode. (at ;east on PS3. isn't that hilarious?)

Well, I set it to single player from the get-go and have not received a single notification thus far. I am playing on PS3 as well.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
ironcreed said:
Well, I set it to single player from the get-go and have not received a single notification thus far. I am playing on PS3 as well.

So another bug then?

Vodka Martini said:
Sigh. Just finished the game. Took 45 hours, (single-player only)! Did all the side-quests, got all the blueprints, found all the hidden skulls, etc. I even grinded the last few chapters so I could be level 50 when I got a certain end-game weapon. Over 4,000 damage a swing! It was amazing, and well worth the effort.

I was looking forward to starting a new game+ and freaking people out in online co-op, but when I tried to continue after the credits finished rolling I got a nice "your saved game appears to be corrupted" message. So I essentially have a god-like character I can no longer play. Figures.

Ah well. It was fun while it lasted. This game was definitely a sleeper hit for me.

This post perfectly sums up the dead island experience. Bittersweet.

wwm0nkey

I never bothered looking at the achievements names but I love the name you get for beating the 2nd act

No raccoons in here

:lol

AEREC

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Yes there are options to do it in the default_levels.xml file I believe it is. I did this as well because the rate is ridiculous.

Does it disable steam achievements or multiplayer? Because it is essentially cheating...

So, a couple of things: Playing for the first time, and I see a beach ball. Do you still die if you kick a beach ball in the game? Yes you do. My first death in the game was from kicking a goddamn beach ball, more funny than anything.

Second, I quit the game, and what Dead Island decided to do was make me join another player's game - I didn't in any way tell it to do this - and then quit the game. So I got an achievement (Helping Hand) just for quitting the game, and I imagine some other player out there is very perplexed.

Nothing major, and killing zombies is awesome!

Ploid 3.0

Vodka Martini said:
Sigh. Just finished the game. Took 45 hours, (single-player only)! Did all the side-quests, got all the blueprints, found all the hidden skulls, etc. I even grinded the last few chapters so I could be level 50 when I got a certain end-game weapon. Over 4,000 damage a swing! It was amazing, and well worth the effort.

I was looking forward to starting a new game+ and freaking people out in online co-op, but when I tried to continue after the credits finished rolling I got a nice "your saved game appears to be corrupted" message. So I essentially have a god-like character I can no longer play. Figures.

Ah well. It was fun while it lasted. This game was definitely a sleeper hit for me.

Wow... :(

wilflare

wilflare said:
finally tried the game
anyone getting baddd mouse lag after turning triple buffering and vsync on?
the cursor is slow even with mouse sensitivity to full

actual in-game seems fine though.

quoted for the new page

eshwaaz

Vodka Martini said:

If you're as calm as you're coming across, then color me impressed. If that had happened to me, I'd be absolutely livid. Glad to hear you had a great experience overall, though!

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
Painraze said:
If I'm playing though the game in single player how much will it mess up my single player game if I randomly join a multiplayer game? Will my progress in the story potentially be fucked up after I leave?

anyone?

Dennis

Banned
For the love of God PC GAF, tell me how to turn off that hideous white crosshair in the middle of my screen!

What is this, 2002?

Truant

There's this weird bunker on the northern part of the beach, labeled 04. When I enter it, this creepy voice says "Heeeelp meeee", but there's no-one inside.

Aselith

tjohn86 said:
Anyone get a two handed axe yet? I got a purple big axe that has like 860 damage upgraded. So awesome.

Yeah, splitting axes are two-handers and you get a bunch of fire axes later in the game.

AEREC

DennisK4 said:
For the love of God PC GAF, tell me how to turn off that hideous white crosshair in the middle of my screen!

What is this, 2002?

That woudl be nice to get rid of...also they shoudl patch in a hardcore mode similar to Witcher 2's insane mode.

removing crosshair doesn't seem to affect anything.

BFC6C60F7B934D42E875206663980F9ADBC6835A

D096FAE907C9625658259F976CBBA83D621C0911

derFeef

DMPrince said:
removing crosshair doesn't seem to affect anything.
Well, the crosshair is removed.

I am now on max shadow map size and material quality (not sure if this actually does anything). tempted to try the mod for using analogue controls with m+kb but too much tweaking is always worrying for me.

DennisK4 said:
Where is that located and do I just delete it?
i probably installed something but check the steam folder and extract data2.pak

keep the same file directories where you found and placed it in your DeadIsland folder in your My Documents

kybyy.png

edit the hud.xui file and look for HudCrosshair

i ended up changing

<Id>HudCrosshair</Id>
<Width>100.000000</Width>
<Height>100.000000</Height>
<Position>640.000000,360.000000,0.000000</Position>

the position numbers to 0.00000 for all three. seems to work.

Max

I am not Max
FGMPR said:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZMPBEBGO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8VMmdx7kS8

This is a small mod that enables analog fighting for mouse control.

I haven't tried it out myself, but it looks fine according to the video.

edit: apparently, you need a gamepad plugged in to accept or decline missions as the game is expecting a controller input at that time. Bit of a bummer, but hopefully its enabled soon.
This is just great. I'm loving these little tweaks for the PC version

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
FGMPR said:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZMPBEBGO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8VMmdx7kS8

This is a small mod that enables analog fighting for mouse control.

I haven't tried it out myself, but it looks fine according to the video.

edit: apparently, you need a gamepad plugged in to accept or decline missions as the game is expecting a controller input at that time. Bit of a bummer, but hopefully its enabled soon.

File seems to be unavailable? Got another link, or instructions for how the input.scr needs to be modified?

Darklord

Banned
DennisK4 said:
And I am getting 100 fps in that screenshot with like 8xFSAA.

This is with just one of my GTX580s. Crazy!

Yeah the frame rate is kinda nuts. I'm around 150-200 on my 570. What I don't like is the vasaline my character got into his eyes before the game started. Worst bloom since Oblivion.

Erebus

derFeef said:
Works fine for me, but forcing it higher than default does not do anything for me, but works for some.
I think it's disabled by default. I set it at 8 and didn't notice any difference whatsoever.

derFeef said:
Mine was at 2 and it is clearly antialiased, still not perfect, though.

Mine is antialiased as well, but FSAA is set to 0, and upping it changes nothing. I don't like this AA implementation though. Looks like FXAA.

Those shots clearly look better.

Top Bottom