• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

jersoc said:
this game seriously needs to work on joining games and quests. I was in the sewers and decided to join someone's game. Then it completed every single quest I had. So i pretty much lost out on a shit ton of xp/items/money/whatever. Pretty fucking lame.

I've been pretty impressed with it so far myself, I only saw what you're describing happen when I invited my friend into a game which was ahead of his and it didn't save the progress afterwards anyway. Also, he said he got a warning which basically said "SPOILER ALERT" when he joined the game.

This is the worst game I've bought at full price in...My life? Act I wasn't so bad...Beyond that...Fucking garbage. The entire game is broken as fuck. Piss poor design all the way through. Weapons are weak, lose durability too fast, enemies do too much damage or you don't have enough stamina, one of the two. There's so many cheap moments like having to climb down a ladder with zombies waiting at the bottom who beat your ass while you climb. The quests are boring and repetitive. There is absolutely no story whatsoever. Bugs all over the place. Tons of poor visuals and laziness as far as the game's models go.

I can't believe ANYONE reviewed this game well. Seriously.

jersoc

jim-jam bongs said:
I've been pretty impressed with it so far myself, I only saw what you're describing happen when I invited my friend into a game which was ahead of his and it didn't save the progress afterwards anyway. Also, he said he got a warning which basically said "SPOILER ALERT" when he joined the game.

I had no such warning :|
I've joined about 5 other games and never had the problem, so clue why it happened.

Flunkie

Banned
Flunkie said:
18 hours. All on Steam. Bought from GMG. 100% legit.

And I have no folder there.
Seems that someone else who was having the same issue found out that it was Avast's "Auto Sandbox" feature that disallowed Dead Island to save files there. I've scoured AVG for a simialr option and nothing. I'm uninstalling AVG now to see if that helps anything. Contemplating uninstalling and reinstalling. My saves will be on Steam Cloud, right? So I'd be safe to do that if I choose to do so?

Carm

So, I have like 11 skill points unused playing as Xian. I've been going down the survival tree to maybe get the modded weapons durability talent and no penalty against higher lvl zombies. I'm at a impasse though. I don't like how the talents are set up. You are required to take something from the previous tier to open up the next, instead of a set amount in the tree just opening up the next tier.

So my choices are:

Choice Cuts 3 points x4 exp when severing limbs
Merchant 3 points for -30% off buy prices
Combo 3 points xp +30% each kill within 5 seconds of the first adds 30%

All of these choices suck with a hard cap on levels, lower merchant prices are kinda blah, with the whole world basically resetting when you quit, so all loot is back.

I really want the modded weapon durability talent though, but durability is set way to fucking low in this game.

AEREC

Im having a blast with the PC version now that Ive plugged in my 360 controller and using analog combat.

No more micro stutter with the mouse and the game feels like it's running at a constant 60fps now.

I really hope they add a hardcore mode later on that:

-disables fast travel
-disables hud
-permanent death

vaelic

Banned
AEREC said:
Im having a blast with the PC version now that Ive plugged in my 360 controller and using analog combat.

No more micro stutter with the mouse and the game feels like it's running at a constant 60fps now.

I really hope they add a hardcore mode later on that:

-disables fast travel
-disables hud
-permanent death
disables fast travel? easy...... dont use it

SeanR1221 said:
So on the xbox, why is the 'join' button greyed out when I try to join a game?

Yeah when is this getting fixed : / .... i actually got the chance to join a room but lost all my weapons including my fists ....

Question (PC Version):

Is there anyway to configure your own voice chat in game to tell if it's working properly, or would you have to rely on your friends telling you if it is working or not? Also, is anyone frustrated by the no "push to talk" functionality of in-game voice chat? I'd hate to have constant background noise I wouldn't want other people to hear.

NinjaJesus

SeanR1221 said:
So on the xbox, why is the 'join' button greyed out when I try to join a game?

This is something they're supposed to be fixing soon. You can work around it by sending the person you want to join a message first then join session in progress.

Concept17

ToyMachine228 said:
This is the worst game I've bought at full price in...My life? Act I wasn't so bad...Beyond that...Fucking garbage. The entire game is broken as fuck. Piss poor design all the way through. Weapons are weak, lose durability too fast, enemies do too much damage or you don't have enough stamina, one of the two. There's so many cheap moments like having to climb down a ladder with zombies waiting at the bottom who beat your ass while you climb. The quests are boring and repetitive. There is absolutely no story whatsoever. Bugs all over the place. Tons of poor visuals and laziness as far as the game's models go.

Sounds like you don't like a challenge. The game isn't perfect, but its certainly better than you're giving it credit for.

Concept17 said:
Sounds like you don't like a challenge. The game isn't perfect, but its certainly better than you're giving it credit for.

I agree with what he's saying. The combat is especially cheap and shitty, fight 20 zombies at once but you're only allowed to hit one at a time and two blows from a single one will: 1) kill you, or 2) trigger a 30 second animation of your character lying on the ground and then kill you...and then respawn you in the same spot to be killed again.

I seriously wonder if the average gamer is going to be able to play through the game solo, I very much doubt I can do it. I'm getting killed from fights with single zombies now...I wonder what the point of levelling up is when the enemies scale with you? you can never beat them easily.

Concept17

PumpkinPie said:
I agree with what he's saying. The combat is especially cheap and shitty, fight 20 zombies at once but you're only allowed to hit one at a time and two blows from a single one will: 1) kill you, or 2) trigger a 30 second animation of your character lying on the ground and then kill you...and then respawn you in the same spot to be killed again.

I seriously wonder if the average gamer is going to be able to play through the game solo, I very much doubt I can do it. I'm getting killed from fights with single zombies now...I wonder what the point of levelling up is when the enemies scale with you? you can never beat them easily.

Use the environment to your advantage. Use weapon mods allowing you to say... electrocute multiple enemies at once. Logan has a talent that allows him to hit multiple zombies at a time. Its hard sure, but thats what is great about it. Screw some hand-holding zombie game like Dead Rising. I would rather have an actually challenge of skill rather than pseudo challenges like time limits and being forced to deal with shitty AI left and right.

sleepykyo

PumpkinPie said:

The horizontal swing catches multiple enemies.

Just reached Act II.

Basically, this game sucks ass in singleplayer. Co op however, is one of the most fun experiences I've had. Each character has a distinct role, and setting up attacks and combos with each other is great. Speeding around in vehicles and just exploring with my friends has been awesome. Totally recommend this game if you have friends to play with and can overlook the bugs.

If you play on playing alone.........don't.

Yerolo

PaddyOCanager said:

A bit harsh...I just finished the whole game alone and had a blast. I havent tried co-op at all yet and Im sure it is more fun...but alone is still fun, it is by far my GOTY at this stage

ironcreed

Banned
Damn, I am not having that hard of a time solo. Sure, I am dying here and there, but that is to be expected with how savage the zombies are. Not to mention that their savagery only adds to the atmosphere and overall tension.

As far as weapon degradation goes, upgrade them, buy or look for better ones, add mods and keep them maintained so it does not cost as much. Also, be sure to create things like deo-bombs, use meat bait, use propane canisters to clear out mobs, etc. The tools are there, you just have to be patient, cunning and just as savage as they are, if not more so. This is what makes the game so fun.

saunderez

PumpkinPie said:
I seriously wonder if the average gamer is going to be able to play through the game solo
Whilst I'm dying fairly often I'm level 20 and playing the game solo and having a great time. Things do get easier as you get better weapons for your speciality, the variety of shock bladed weapons I have now make me a killing machine.

Played a few hours today without a static HUD. With all the tweaks, this game is looking really nice. Here's a selection of screens (click for full 1920x1080 size):

Carm

PaddyOCanager said:
Just reached Act II.

Basically, this game sucks ass in singleplayer. Co op however, is one of the most fun experiences I've had. Each character has a distinct role, and setting up attacks and combos with each other is great. Speeding around in vehicles and just exploring with my friends has been awesome. Totally recommend this game if you have friends to play with and can overlook the bugs.

Yea.. I'm gonna have to disagree, I'm guessing you'd say the same thing about Borderlands. People said that wasn't worth playing solo, yet I put 165ish hours into that and haven't touched the newest DLC yet. I've already put 18 hours into DI, up to second quest hub in Act 2 and it's still fun.

Seventy5

They need to fix this fucking save bullshit! I got to Act 2 earlier and inside the first safe area there, waited for the save and then quit. Now I just started it up and I'm back on the fucking Wheels of Steel quest. The only way to tell if your game isn't saving properly is the trophies not popping up, so I figured I was good. I love the game, have a blast playing it, but this is fucking ridiculous. If it's not fixed in the next couple days I'm gonna just play White Knight 2 and R3 until they get the shit right. So fucking infuriating.

Finally got my copy today. This is the New Zealand Dead Island CE.

11taee9.jpg

Yerolo

Nelo Ice said:
holy shit robokittyzilla what were the exact tweaks u did? and did u use the tweak tool or anything else?

The game looks heaps better when you turn off Bloom, dust effects, desaturation effects and increasing the shadow size which all can be done using the Dead Island helper (google it...its the first hit)

Nelo Ice

Banned
Yerolo said:
The game looks heaps better when you turn off Bloom, dust effects, desaturation effects and increasing the shadow size which all can be done using the Dead Island helper (google it...its the first hit)

yeah i have the tool and turned off/on some of the effects i was wondering which exact tweaks to do .

also thanks will turn off dust and desaturation, already turned off bloom weapon refraction, increased shadow size, and turned on AA.

btw what are some good skills to get for xian?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Side stuff:
I've found 3 skulls now, and actually got the spot for the orange one. I got a blueprint and paid 10K + 5 diamonds to make a weapon. It's not BAD, a knife that electrocutes pretty frequently...but after a couple of kills it's at 50%. And cost $6,900 to fix! It seems pointless to use them if it's like that, are the other ones better?

Lasthope106 said:
Oh god, don't make me buy this game!
This is the best zombie game ever made, I can't stop wanting to play it. I Havnt been this addicted to a game in a long time. I'll go as far to say this is the best co-op game ever. The analog combat it incredible, just the feeling of swinging a bat into a zombies head is worth the 60$.

Bloodsent

Outtrigger888 said:
This is the best zombie game ever made, I can't stop wanting to play it. I Havnt been this addicted to a game in a long time. I'll go as far to say this is the best co-op game ever. The analog combat it incredible, just the feeling of swinging a bat into a zombies head is worth the 60$.

This kind of stuff doesn't help, it only makes it harder to resist. Is the 360 the least buggy of the releases at this point, or have the PC problems been addressed now?

Nelo Ice

Banned
Bloodsent said:
This kind of stuff doesn't help, it only makes it harder to resist. Is the 360 the least buggy of the releases at this point, or have the PC problems been addressed now?

get the pc version. u can tweak most everything to ur liking now. not sure about bugs but if there are still major bugs expect the pc version to be fixed sooner than the console versions.

btw if u get it off gmg *shameless promo* i have a ref link so u can get 20% off and $5. lol.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
PaddyOCanager said:
Just reached Act II.

No, just no.

While playing co-op with friends is always fun (even in shitty games), I personally prefer this game as a single-player experience. It's much more tense and challenging. The game gets stupid easy even with just two players. It can be pretty tough alone, though.

If all you are looking to do is run around and bash zombie skulls with friends, then it's great in co-op. If you're looking for some really fun and often tense survival horror, play alone.

ToyMachine228 said:

Wow, I have a completely opposite reaction. It sounds like you're really bad at the combat, but I don't know for sure. Are you carrying around a full arsenal of good weapons that you are constantly upgrading or changing for better ones? You need to be cycling through your arsenal as you run through the game and repair as often as you can. Durability has never been a problem for me outside of the first few hours.

Why are you climbing down a ladder into zombies? Surely there's another way down. Surely you have a gun, a molotov, grenade, or some kind of weapon to throw, right? Don't just climb down into zombies.

You need to be pretty careful in combat when facing multiple foes. Kick is your friend. Don't go in for the kill unless you've knocked them down or otherwise disabled your enemies, and can be sure you won't be hit by another zombie.

Bloodsent said:

The PC version is fine and very tweakable. I haven't had any stability issues whatsoever. It's a very smooth running client.

Yamibito

ToyMachine228 said:
This is the worst game I've bought at full price in...My life? Act I wasn't so bad...Beyond that...Fucking garbage. The entire game is broken as fuck. Piss poor design all the way through. Weapons are weak, lose durability too fast, enemies do too much damage or you don't have enough stamina, one of the two.
lol.

Bloodsent

Nelo Ice said:
get the pc version. u can tweak most everything to ur liking now. not sure about bugs but if there are still major bugs expect the pc version to be fixed sooner than the console versions.

btw if u get it off gmg *shameless promo* i have a ref link so u can get 20% off and $5. lol.

Send it my way! Thanks.

Dizzle24

Combat tip: I noticed that if you have a gun in your inventory (doesn't need to be equipped to the weapon wheel) and you throw a propane tank, you will auto-equip the gun so you can easily blast the tank.

I'm level 22 I think and dying a lot on Act 2 because of the mobs of infected molesting me left and right...

see5harp

It's hard to believe how many separate groups of people seem to be playing this game. I can't think of a single game on 360 that has gotten so much support with coop gamers. Sorta shocked really, I expected this one to completely bomb in a month with R3 and gears 3.

Dizzle24 said:
Combat tip: I noticed that if you have a gun in your inventory (doesn't need to be equipped to the weapon wheel) and you throw a propane tank, you will auto-equip the gun so you can easily blast the tank.

I'm level 22 I think and dying a lot on Act 2 because of the mobs of infected molesting me left and right...

Yeah I noticed this, I thought it was a really good idea.

Yerolo

see5harp said:
It's hard to believe how many separate groups of people seem to be playing this game. I can't think of a single game on 360 that has gotten so much support with coop gamers. Sorta shocked really, I expected this one to completely bomb in a month with R3 and gears 3.

Its good to see it getting the recognition from gamers it deserves after all the bad press it received on release (On PC at least).

Hopefully the devs keep supporting and patching it and making it truly epic
(and possibly work on a sequel...the ending certainly left it open for one)

Flunkie

Banned
Damn. Looking at the screenshots thread, I should really turn off bloom/dust/everything in that helper program that doesn't work for me because my game's fucking dumb.

blurrygil

I was completely on the fence about this game, hearing about all the issues/bugs/complaints. I caved and bought it today.

Best fuckin $60 I've spent this year. No joke. Even with some the minor graphic issues, this game is drop dead bloody gorgeous on 360. And the gameplay is a blast. Mind you, I've only played but a few hours in.

If you're hating this game over difficulty or whatnot, you're mental or doing it wrong.

Game is 100% brilliant. Love the openness. There's so much to do.

Sure, there's more to look forward to if there's a sequel. But I'll certainly look forward to it. Techland's got my preorder money for certain next time around...

maomaoIYP

Picked it up over the weekend. Great fun playing solo, not so much when coop. Never did like coop games. I like the immersion using the analog attacks but don't like not being able to circle around enemies when attacking.

What's everyone favourite character? I got to Act 2 using the asian girl (her combat tree is BOSS, jump kick + face stomp everything) then tried out all the rest. The white dude's skill tree is all over the place, the black dude is basically the asian girl but using blunt weapons. Can't see the advantage of using the aboriginal girl, you rarely get enough ammo.

derFeef

SalsaShark said:
okay why does my game dont look like that

i thought the only stuff that could be tweaked were AA and shadows?
The wonders of downscaling. Click the images and see the full rez. Also looks like the bloom is removed.

Top Bottom