• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

VaeVictis

Teknoman said:
Why would turning off dust have any effect?

Anyway, from tonights survival adventure:

FF5EAC2EFEF3EA84C0D62772F743BFBEA3B07799

Nice homage :

the-walking-dead-season-1-dont-open-dead-inside.jpg

Loaded the game and was halfway through a side mission that I didn't even start... not sure what to think, on one hand I was pissed off, on the other I was fairly happy that I only had to do one trip instead of two :p

tallkid123 said:
Finally got my copy today. This is the New Zealand Dead Island CE.

11taee9.jpg

Awesome!!

NIN90

LethaL ImpuLse said:
Question (PC Version):

Is there anyway to configure your own voice chat in game to tell if it's working properly, or would you have to rely on your friends telling you if it is working or not? Also, is anyone frustrated by the no "push to talk" functionality of in-game voice chat? I'd hate to have constant background noise I wouldn't want other people to hear.

I'm pretty sure the game uses the integrated Steam VOIP so you just have to navigate to Settings and then the tab Voice. Here you can set up your mic including an option for Push-to-talk.

kitch9

Banned
ToyMachine228 said:
This is the worst game I've bought at full price in...My life? Act I wasn't so bad...Beyond that...Fucking garbage. The entire game is broken as fuck. Piss poor design all the way through. Weapons are weak, lose durability too fast, enemies do too much damage or you don't have enough stamina, one of the two. There's so many cheap moments like having to climb down a ladder with zombies waiting at the bottom who beat your ass while you climb. The quests are boring and repetitive. There is absolutely no story whatsoever. Bugs all over the place. Tons of poor visuals and laziness as far as the game's models go.

I can't believe ANYONE reviewed this game well. Seriously.

Couldn't you lob a molotov down the ladder?

Ploid 3.0

Dram said:
Sucks hit a bug trying to make the hand of Glova. Lost $10,000, 5 diamonds and got nothing in return.

I just got that and went crazy with it, wondering why I'd use any weapon ever again. Then I got the "Weapon is breaking" message :(. So to fix it I need a lot of money. I didn't know it could break.

So will editing the weapon durability in that xml file cause problems with banning? (thinking it wont)

There are workbenches on practically every street corner, if you mod all of your weapons and get the right skills the degradation is barely a factor. It's just a resource like health or ammo.

Truant

No way dudes, there's nothing charming about hitting someone in the head with a STEEL BLADE only to have it fall apart.

I'm playing with half the degradation rate and it's how the game should have been in the first place.

Enco

Teknoman said:
Why would turning off dust have any effect?
Yea I can't see it having much effect. Maybe speeding it up on slow computers.

Also, does desaturation make a big difference?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Truant said:
No way dudes, there's nothing charming about hitting someone in the head with a STEEL BLADE only to have it fall apart.

I'm playing with half the degradation rate and it's how the game should have been in the first place.

This is crazy talk. The weapon degradation is a key part of the resource management in the game, not to mention one of the main reasons to use the upgrade system.

derFeef

Truant said:

Or you can upgrade it and put points into durability skills. I like the system because it is a resource, remove it and it is getting boring/stale.

panda21

yeah i'm also pro weapon degradation rate. its part of the whole survival thing, and the rpg skill trees. might as well say having health and stamina is annoying and turn those off.

daviyoung

Banned
Degrading weapons really aren't a problem considering there are so many workbenches around, quests aren't that long, your inventory is enormous and there is so much money to be looted. They could have made the game far more survivalist, and then where would the complainers go? Pff, kids.

Salsa

I dont mind degradation, but the weapon wheel should have more directions/weapon slots. I dont like going into the inventory to place those there all the time. (at least get the next weapon in your inventory right into the weapon wheel after you throw away the last one)

Truant

derFeef said:
Or you can upgrade it and put points into durability skills. I like the system because it is a resource, remove it and it is getting boring/stale.

High level weapons, fully upgraded also degrade too quickly. I haven't turned it off, just slowed it down a bit.

Carcetti

Got Pc version, graphics are completely borked. Characters are invisible already in start menu, graphics looks washed out, reflections don't work, I see through some walls. Made 5 mins and stopped in disgust. Maybe I'll re-install in half a year after some patches.

derFeef

Carcetti said:
Got Pc version, graphics are completely borked. Characters are invisible already in start menu, graphics looks washed out, reflections don't work, I see through some walls. Made 5 mins and stopped in disgust. Maybe I'll re-install in half a year after some patches.
Must be something wrong on your end. Driver up-to-date? Nothing silly forced?

Ploid 3.0

I have the upgrades that reduce weapon degrading. The god hand was probably too powerful to not be a special use ability anyway.

Hah no way will I increase weapon degrade to be hardcore. The whole reason I get better weapons is to kill stuff quicker. Go through the game only using led pipe, wooden stick, and beach ball!

Also I'm no hardcore gamer, and only play solo.

derFeef

Ploid 3.0 said:
I have the upgrades that reduce weapon degrading. The god hand was probably too powerful to not be a special use ability anyway.

Hah no way will I increase weapon degrade to be hardcore. The whole reason I get better weapons is to kill stuff quicker. Go through the game only using led pipe, wooden stick, and beach ball!

Also I'm no hardcore gamer, and only play solo.
What does getting better weapons have to do with weapons degrading? The game is really not hardcore, even in singleplayer. You just need to be careful and make your hits counts.

Ploid 3.0

I was going along with the guy that said.

"I'm doing a second playthrough with degradation sped up. Shit will break from just equipping it. That's hardcore."

I wasn't being serious in that part of my post.

When I'm not testing out god hand thing I'm usually kicking enemies down and stomping their heads over and over to save weapons for rainy days. Had a bit too much fun with the shock hands and was told to stop lol. Saints row type of Dead island needs to surface.

wiggleb0t

Banned
That removes quite a bit of the games charm I think. And the guy calling this a "fix" is quite laughable.

Perceiving something to be a problem and implementing a solution to remedy the issue for themselves and others who also think it requires fixing/balancing. Yeah that's laughable....?

Truant

wiggleb0t said:
Perceiving something to be a problem and implementing a solution to remedy the issue for themselves and others who also think it requires fixing/balancing. Yeah that's laughable....?

You're obviously not a hardcore gamer, brah.

wiggleb0t said:

Some people perceive difficulty as a problem though. I'm sure Demon Souls would have many "fixes" by the same people.

I'm near the end of the game and had no problems what so ever with repair items. What's the point of having all the extra cash so you can stock up in 100 medkits?

My buddies save on 360 became corrupted with 36 lvls down the drain. What fucking bullshit.

Personally I've been backing up my saves just in case such an event were to happen to me.

Truant

The game is not difficult because of weapon degradation. For me, the default rate, is hindering me from getting the most out of the areas of the game that I love.

There's just no fun in constantly repairing your weapons. I like it when it's something I have to do now and then, like an extra layer of complexity, and not just a chore.

orion434

This game is easy enough on the RPG elements, weapon degredation is kinda laughable with all the resources you have. When I run out of $$$ I just fast Travel between the Warehouse in Act II to the Bunker in Act I with a Pick-lock skill of 3... I net 4 Crates & 3 basic weapons to sell. A total of 7 x ~ $200 per load = $1400, takes all of 4 mins and 4 chances of exceptional weapons.

Zenith

Banned
I really do enjoy the shooting over the hitting. For me the female cop was the only real choice when selecting characters:

likes guns, dresses in black, is an ex-cop, hates the rich, is Aboriginal

What's not to like?

The point is the weapon degradation doesn't add difficulty it just adds tedium. 20-30% decrease in the rate would do wonders. Resource management good, spending an appreciable amount of the game time ferrying back and fourth to repair shit is not.

I could understand it adding difficulty if there was limited resources to be found. But weapons are everywhere.

HeadlessRoland said:
The point is the weapon degradation doesn't add difficulty it just adds tedium. 20-30% decrease in the rate would do wonders. Resource management good, spending an appreciable amount of the game time ferrying back and fourth to repair shit is not.

I could understand it adding difficulty if there was limited resources to be found. But weapons are everywhere.

It adds to the survival aspect of the game. Also there are workbenches all around the levels, you don't have to backtrack at all, you just have to constantly keep them location in mind and how long the weapon is gonna last, which imo, is adds alot to the game.

AEREC

HeadlessRoland said:

Thats why there is a skill for exactly that in the game...otherwise it's just cheating.

distrbnce

Banned
Been playing on PS3... My game saved at the beginning, when we get in the first hut and I have to go find the lifeguard key...

But it won't save again... I've played through a great deal, twice now, but it doesn't save my game. Huff, any solution for this yet?

eshwaaz

WickedLaharl said:
My buddies save on 360 became corrupted with 36 lvls down the drain. What fucking bullshit.

Personally I've been backing up my saves just in case such an event were to happen to me.
Horrible. So much for finally cracking this game open tonight; I was under the impression that the 360 version didn't have the save bug. There are so many things about Dead Island that sound fantastic, but I can't commit to putting any time into it until this save bug is fixed. Hurry up, Techland!

Metalmurphy said:
It adds to the survival aspect of the game. Also there are workbenches all around the levels, you don't have to backtrack at all, you just have to constantly keep them location in mind and how long the weapon is gonna last, which imo, is adds alot to the game.

I agree with this. I tried turning down the weapon degradation and I didn't notice much of a difference, so I defaulted and just put some points into the skill. It definitely adds to the tension of the game.

Ploid 3.0

How to back up saves on PC?

To me there is no tension. The closest is thinking about how expensive the weapon will be to repair if I get it to 3%, or if I run out of bullets. I can always kick then stomp. Dying don't even have much of a negative. This isn't a tense game.

CozMick

Banned
eshwaaz said:
Horrible. So much for finally cracking this game open tonight. There are so many things about Dead Island that sound fantastic, but I can't commit to putting any time into it until this save bug is fixed. Hurry up, Techland!

This is the exact reason why I'm holding off, I don't mind paying full price but the game breaking bugs are a real turn off.

CozMick said:
This is the exact reason why I'm holding off, I don't mind paying full price but the game breaking bugs are a real turn off.

I think the "bugs" are being overexagerated. At least on the PC. I'm almost near the end and I haven't encountered a single bug. Only small glitches like zombies clipping through doors, but besides that, game's been awesome.

But maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones.

distrbnce said:
Been playing on PS3... My game saved at the beginning, when we get in the first hut and I have to go find the lifeguard key...

But it won't save again... I've played through a great deal, twice now, but it doesn't save my game. Huff, any solution for this yet?

The PS3 saving issues seem to be linked to coop and online visibility. If you sign out of PSN (may not be necessary) and set your online type to 'Singleplayer' and play without coop until it is patched you shouldn't have anymore problems.

Basically the game is only saving if you see a red toxic symbol in the top right. To test this try fast travelling from one area to another. If you don't see the toxic symbol then stop playing as it isn't saving your progress. Also if PSN trophies are not popping up when they should it probably isn't saving.

Doing this has made the game enjoyable again for me. Hopefully this fixes your issues.

eshwaaz

Metalmurphy said:
I think the "bugs" are being overexagerated. At least on the PC. I'm almost near the end and I haven't encountered a single bug. Only small glitches like zombies clipping through doors, but besides that, game's been awesome.

But maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones.
I'm actually fine with just about every bug I've heard about, but randomly losing all of my progress in the blink of an eye with no warning or work-around is about as bad as you can get.

eshwaaz said:
I'm actually fine with just about every bug I've heard about, but randomly losing all of my progress in the blink of an eye with no warning or work-around is about as bad as you can get.

Well, haven't had that one so can't complain.

*knock on wood*

Top Bottom