• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

They really need to set a option on people joining your game at high levels, started a new game and everyone who joins is level 20+ and they one shot things, not much fun.

LProtag

Lucky and haven't lost a save playing co-op with my friend on PSN. The game is fun, though it felt oddly different when I got to the city and started to have to actually take gunfights seriously. Almost makes me want to try a game as the firearms chick.

Twinduct

So .. what zombie type is causing you the most pain in this game?
using spoiler tags, yer welcome.

For me it's a tie between the walkers and the infected. Everything else is easy to handle, but if I don't insta-kill those fast fuckers, I get quite alot of damage. Walkers also became bad-ass post level 20. Takes so much more damage now, plus in the city it seems to spawn in groups of 5 ... always.

Seventy5

Well, I'm loving this game. Playing on PS3, if anyone wants to add me for co-op. I had the save bug yesterday, lost about an hour & a half of progress, but I'm still enjoying it. Played some co-op, had a good time, but god damn I wish Sony packed a mic in with PS3s, even a cheap wired one like SOCOM used to have. Can't wait for the Bloodbath Arena DLC.

Sullichin

Seventy5 said:
Well, I'm loving this game. Playing on PS3, if anyone wants to add me for co-op. I had the save bug yesterday, lost about an hour & a half of progress, but I'm still enjoying it. Played some co-op, had a good time, but god damn I wish Sony packed a mic in with PS3s, even a cheap wired one like SOCOM used to have. Can't wait for the Bloodbath Arena DLC.

Yeah they should have. I talk with my friend on Skype when we play because it's just easier, never bothered to get a bluetooth headset

desertdroog

For a game with so many reported issues...this is very popular. 360 version sold out all over Phoenix. Found the last one at a gamestop in the eastern suburbs.

Darklord

Banned
The accents are so awful in this game. Some are like mish-mash of accents and the Australian ones grate my ears. They sound like someone watched Steve Irwin and tried to imitate that. The guy at the start with the tattoo with the aussie accent, he looks mauri.

I'm just not feeling this game yet. It's so janky. The mouse is painfully slow in menu's, the prompts telling you to Hold a button only work if I press it several times, the walking feels strange sometimes, and it's really annoying constantly having to go into the inventory and switch weapon loadouts. I'll keep playing but I just dunno.

Dennis

Banned
Really great open-world zombie game

DI+7.jpg

I've got a question that may be a spoiler:

Does the game ever explain what's going on with the Ram enemies, or any of the "special" enemies? Like, what causes them to be different than a typical zombie? I finished it and never found anything explaining it but it's very possible I missed it.

PaulLFC

Okay, I've not done many missions because I've just been exploring and collecting stuff. Stuck on the side mission where
you have to disable the electricity in 3 locations - I've disabled the switch in the building and the one where you get onto the stage, but I can't find the third one. I'm probably missing something ridiculously easy, but the waypoint marker ends underneath a power line, with no sign of a switch. I also keep getting killed by the thug on top of the garage because my weapons are nearly all degraded :(

panda21

i remember someone mentioning something about a dodge move in this thread, i'm not sure if i've missed the explanation of it or not, how do you do it?

i've nearly done all the side missions for the lifeguards place at the start, and i think i'm about to finish the main quest line in that area, but i've also come across the lighthouse in that area and there seem to be quests there too. are those part of the main quest line, or are they side quests? i think i can see where the the lifeguard thing seems to be going, moving to the town part. should i do the lighthouse quests before i move into the town?

also
Xian is awesome once you progress a little bit (i'm only on chaper 2) and start to get longer blades like the machete, slicing fools is the best. i cut off two infected's heads in one slice with the machete yesterday, was boss.

PaulLFC

panda21 said:
i remember someone mentioning something about a dodge move in this thread, i'm not sure if i've missed the explanation of it or not, how do you do it?
I think you just hold the direction you want to dodge and then press Space.

Enco

DennisK4 said:
Really great open-world zombie game

http://images.gonzb.com/d/340637-1/DI+7.jpg[/img ][/QUOTE]
Have you messed with any settings?

The game is very good looking. Love the zombie running animations. Feels next gen :lol

[QUOTE=Nelo Ice]just used that helper utility and damn turning off bloom makes such a huge difference.[/QUOTE]
Sure does.

A higher FOV, no bloom and no weapon refraction makes the game look 1000x better.

Why they couldn't put a toggle for those in the menu is beyond me. Such a stupid decision.

PaulLFC said:
Okay, I've not done many missions because I've just been exploring and collecting stuff. Stuck on the side mission where
you have to disable the electricity in 3 locations - I've disabled the switch in the building and the one where you get onto the stage, but I can't find the third one. I'm probably missing something ridiculously easy, but the waypoint marker ends underneath a power line, with no sign of a switch. I also keep getting killed by the thug on top of the garage because my weapons are nearly all degraded :(

There's one on the
North West of the map, right at the end, where there's a ladder. Pickup a crate from the pickup truck near by and use it to reach the ladder.

The most fun way to kill a Thug. Both arms and neck broken. Then smash the face.

deadislandgame2011-09-ukoc.png

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
US PS3 owner....i saw some posts earlier in this thread about a 1.01 patch. I just got this yesterday and when i played last night i wasnt prompted for a game update.....is it not out for US yet?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
This game will just not stop fucking me over at every turn.

Won't let me join friends for co-op, saying that we have different "versions". Whatever the hell that means. (we've both DL'd the latest patch)

So I'm playing solo. My best weapon is a gold machete fully upgraded. I throw it, and kill the zombie with a head burst and the weapon disappears. And the game autosaves.

I want to punch someone in the fucking face right now.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Evolved1 said:
This game will just not stop fucking me over at every turn.

Won't let me join friends for co-op, saying that we have different "versions". Whatever the hell that means. (we've both DL'd the latest patch)

So I'm playing solo. My beast weapon is a gold machete fully upgraded. I throw it, and kill the zombie with a head burst and the weapon disappears. And the game autosaves.

I want to punch someone in the fucking face right now.
haha holy shit!

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
sloppyjoe_gamer said:
US PS3 owner....i saw some posts earlier in this thread about a 1.01 patch. I just got this yesterday and when i played last night i wasnt prompted for a game update.....is it not out for US yet?

I got it and I'm in the US. Maybe they disabled it because it messes a few things up.

PaulLFC

Metalmurphy said:
There's one on the
North West of the map, right at the end, where there's a ladder. Pickup a crate from the pickup truck near by and use it to reach the ladder.
Thanks, but is that the one where
you have to use the crates to climb the ladder where it says "find a way onto the stage"? If it is, I have that one, plus the first one in the building. I can't find the third one though - the waypoint ends underneath a power line, which seems to travel over the roof of the petrol station - maybe I have to kill the thug on that roof and it's there? I'm not sure because the thug keeps killing me because most of my weapons are broken

Edit: Found it! Now it's just a case of fighting off the zombies with broken weapons... this should go well!

PaulLFC said:
Thanks, but is that the one where
you have to use the crates to climb the ladder where it says "find a way onto the stage"? If it is, I have that one, plus the first one in the building. I can't find the third one though - the waypoint ends underneath a power line, which seems to travel over the roof of the petrol station - maybe I have to kill the thug on that roof and it's there? I'm not sure because the thug keeps killing me because most of my weapons are broken

"Stage"? As in... the stage on the beach? oO

If your have the PC version just add me on steam, I'll help you out.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/metalmurphy

Nelo Ice

Banned
Enco said:
A higher FOV, no bloom and no weapon refraction makes the game look 1000x better.

Why they couldn't put a toggle for those in the menu is beyond me. Such a stupid decision.

yeah but thank goodness for pc gaming! seems like anytime devs fail at pc ports the community comes through with fixes.

Metalmurphy said:
Yep. That's a wooden floor alright.

I think he may be refering to the fact that the radar is completely bonked. Mines is the same way. Don't know whats up with it.

I also lost about 8 hours of play cause of the save file debacle. Ill let it slide this time cause the game is so damn fun. But If it happens agian Ill be more then upset. I am set to offline line and making sure the bio hazard symbol comes up, soooooo Im good right?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The mouse analog controls work really well. I have no idea why the developer didn't include the option by default. I was enjoying it quite a bit, and it's really quite satisfying to fight that way, but compared to digital, the difficulty is just insane when fighting crowds of zombies at once. Since most encounters in the slums are against crowds, I went back to digital after dying a few times.

Darklord

Banned
Enco said:

Can't you get VAC banned for screwing with game files though? Or hasn't that happened with anyone for this game?

Enco

Darklord said:
Can't you get VAC banned for screwing with game files though? Or hasn't that happened with anyone for this game?
Pretty sure the new fixes are safe.

Here's the best tool.

Everyone should use it.

Nelo Ice said:
yeah but thank goodness for pc gaming! seems like anytime devs fail at pc ports the community comes through with fixes.
Indeed.

Feels good to be a PC gamer.

Oh and the radar is pretty awful. Keeps giving me wrong/changing directions.

Salsa

i messed around a bit and changed the FOV, changed the sensibility of the keyboard and whatnot, forced AA

game looks much better now but its way more glitchy graphically. I get some weird looking objects in some occasions and my co-op buddies see them just fine, so yeah i guess i screw it up a bit.

Still, i'll take that hit over the jagginess, FXAA makes the game look much better.

Shadow draw distance is still terrible! :p

but yeah, finally put about 5 hours with 2 friends and we're having a blast.

What's the best way to kill
floaters
? I've been shooting them so far but unless I get a crit early I tend to waste a ton of ammo. Also there's so many sewers at one point in the second act, was really tense given I picked up a whole heap of cash during the mission and didn't want to lose a huge chunk of it.

Enco

kingofthedead45 said:
The map it self is missing! Isn't it supposed to have like the map drawn on it? Or am I wrong?
Nope, no map drawn.

Still pretty crappy navigation system though.

Darklord said:
According to the dude who is making the best tool, no.
UPDATE #2 11/09/2011: I’ve uploaded a new version, which removes the routine that detects if Dead Island is running in the foreground. So the program is no different to something like X-Mouse (actually, it’s even less intrusive than X-Mouse). I’ve done this to minimise any chance of this resulting in a VAC ban.

Salsa

Mh, apparently i didnt need to mess around with the files huh? just found out about the tools..

should i just delete that "data" documents folder i created and install one of these tools?

Enco

weekendCONFIRMED said:
According to the dude who is making the best tool, no.
Minimize the risk.. hmm.

If I get banned for this, I'm raising as much hell as I can for Steam. Screw you for banning me for trying to fix broken settings!

But for now.. this isn't an issue.

Top Bottom