• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

Enco

SalsaShark said:
Mh, apparently i didnt need to mess around with the files huh? just found out about the tools..

should i just delete that "data" documents folder i created and install one of these tools?

edit: for the new page:

Here's the best too to improve the game. Everyone should use it.

SalsaShark said:
Mh, apparently i didnt need to mess around with the files huh? just found out about the tools..

should i just delete that "data" documents folder i created and install one of these tools?
Don't think it would make much difference. I've left my data folder but it still works fine.

edit: just checked. The tool makes its own data folder anyway and adds files to it so just leave it

Salsa

Enco said:
Don't think it would make much difference. I've left my data folder but it still works fine.

yes but i changed values in those files and apparently this tool does exactly that.. so i figure they could overlap or some weird crap. Think its better to just start over.. i'll see for my next session.

Also the game's online options are weird.. im playing with 2 other friends, and we always set it up to "3 private slots" and no public ones, but we still randomly get some dude to join and fuck everything up.

Enco

SalsaShark said:
yes but i changed values in those files and apparently this tool does exactly that.. so i figure they could overlap or some weird crap. Think its better to just start over.. i'll see for my next session.
See the edit above :)

I changed the FOV and all it did was override it. Just delete the files if you want to be sure but they'll just be recreated and edited again.

Salsa

ah nice, thanks :)

another thing: im really grateful to how the sidequests are done, in the sense that they stand on their own and the "plot" behind them is really easy to follow. I was kinda bummed that i was missing dialog cause of my friends doing the turn-in and whatever but the dialogue is so.. well, normal, or nothing that's really worth listening, then you just dont bother and you can speed things along.

Experienced the PS3 save bug for the first time... Played for about 2 hours this morning. Went back after finishing up some stuff around the house and was saddened to see all my progress gone. Started playing again noticed it said "game saved" in the bottom left but the little logo in the top right was not there. I got a trophy according to the game, but yet its still not unlocked. the HDD light does not flash when the game says it is saving. So, I guess at the very least I can tell when it is glitching.

Really hope they fix this soon because I honestly love this game....

i think the "Born To Be Wild" Quest is bugged for me -
I resetted the computers and nothing happened. then i saw one screen with the BSOD but i can't do anything?
there are no indicator on screen either.

EDIT: it was bugged. had to reload checkpoint. got it working now.

Pretty sure they are, but just to make sure, the Dead Island on GreenManGaming is US/NA applicable, right? Like, it isn't the Russian retail or some VPN requiring region, right? Might jump on it with the 20% off and my $5 voucher if so.

derFeef

That guy in resort Bunker #2 and his quest he gave me just disappeared while I finished another quest... I guess I jumped too much forward in story progress or something.

I also join matches randomly just because I hit left on the dpad in my inventory. I guess the message that someone is nearby popped up in the background. Grr. The hotel is creppy btw.

Dennis

Banned
kingofthedead45 said:
I think he may be refering to the fact that the radar is completely bonked. Mines is the same way. Don't know whats up with it.
No....I wanted people to admire the wood.

And now....more furniture!

derFeef said:
That guy in resort Bunker #2 and his quest he gave me just disappeared while I finished another quest... I guess I jumped too much forward in story progress or something.

I also join matches randomly just because I hit left on the dpad in my inventory. I guess the message that someone is nearby popped up in the background. Grr. The hotel is creppy btw.
I hate those messages. Hey Techland, I specifically selected single player in the menus. That means I actually want to play single player. You can stop harassing me that "XxxSoulFuckabitchpubesxxX" is nearby, I don't want to play with him.

Carm

Is there a way to get into Bunker 1 during act 1 or does it open in later acts? bench icon shows up for it but no way to get in.

derFeef

The attention to detail in some of those locations is pretty amazing. This is really Techlands masterpiece. I know I would like it because I am a Zombie nut, but I had no idea that it is going to be THAT good.

LastWindow said:
I've got a question that may be a spoiler:

Does the game ever explain what's going on with the Ram enemies, or any of the "special" enemies? Like, what causes them to be different than a typical zombie? I finished it and never found anything explaining it but it's very possible I missed it.

Bumping this to the next page. Can anyone who has finished the game give me any insight on this?

Holy shit DennisK4, those shots are amazing. Are you tweaking the hell out of the game?

I want to bite on this for PC, but am worried that some mystery bug will end up killing all of my enjoyment. That and I'd need my days to have more hours in them so I could sink some quality time into it.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
LastWindow said:
Bumping this to the next page. Can anyone who has finished the game give me any insight on this?

As far as I know, they don't. However, I haven't listened to all of the collectible audio clips yet, so they may be explained through those.

Dennis

Banned
NullPointer said:
Holy shit DennisK4, those shots are amazing. Are you tweaking the hell out of the game?

I want to bite on this for PC, but am worried that some mystery bug will end up killing all of my enjoyment. That and I'd need my days to have more hours in them so I could sink some quality time into it.
Yes, its tweaked.

There is a YouTube posted in this thread that shows how to do most of the important tweaks like FOV and better shadows.

vitaminwateryum said:
As far as I know, they don't. However, I haven't listened to all of the collectible audio clips yet, so they may be explained through those.

Yeah, that's the only thing I can think of that may explain it. I guess maybe an NPC I didn't find may explain it.

derFeef said:
The attention to detail in some of those locations is pretty amazing. This is really Techlands masterpiece. I know I would like it because I am a Zombie nut, but I had no idea that it is going to be THAT good.

Totally agree on the locations, I've been to islands exactly like Banoi. Well, minus the zombie infestation obviously, though Bali during schoolies is pretty close. I'd be really interested to know if they had a specific locale which they based it on, and if the artists went there for, uh, research trips.

This is definitely my GOTY. I haven't felt this great about a $60 purchase in a long time. There is so much content and so much to explore. I must say that I haven't felt my pulse race this much since playing Eternal Darkness on the Gamecube. I love how the Zombies actually require some skill to deal with and aren't pushovers like the ones in Dead Rising. I know the game has its bugs but the RPG elements and vast exploration more than make up for them.

If anyone is up for some games on the 360, send me a friend request at CubanBoy1127.

My game appears to be stuck, it tells me to beat all the zombies in a red circled area and then doesn't recognise when I do it, I think I also have to possibly go inside the shed (I can see an arm stick through the wall) but the door does not open. I've loaded it up again and it did the same thing, no enemies are showing on the map after I beat them but it doesn't update the quest info. And then a fell through the floor and went on a 2001: a space odyssey-esque journey.

I heard the limited edition ships with a dev kit so you can actually finish the game. Seriously, developers need to get their shit together this gen, the amount of games shipping broken these days is a fucking joke.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Is anyone interested in going in on a Steam 4-pack? I have a friend or two interested, but we want to fill it out before we take the plunge.

E: Also, how does the drop in/out multiplayer actually work? Can friends screw up your skull hunting or quest progress?

Dennis

Banned
By the way, I am playing with the 360 controller as I like to do with most games where a controller is an option and K + M isn't essential.

Most new PC games comes with perfect support for the 360 controller these days, so owning a PC today is like owning a PS4 and Xbox 720.

Well, just lost my two best/favorite weapons. Was doing a quest, died, and respawned without them. For everything this game does right, it does another thing just absolutely terrible.

Dennis

Banned
KoreanBarbecue said:
Well, just lost my two best/favorite weapons. Was doing a quest, died, and respawned without them. For everything this game does right, it does another thing just absolutely terrible.
Good.

Something is at stake. Adds tension and nerve to the game.

Yamibito

Close to finishing act 2 (I think) and holy crap I am enjoying this game so much, it may have a lot of issues but every time I stop I just cannot wait to get back to playing it, incredible atmosphere.

Akkad said:
Crazy how this topic went from "off with Techland's head" to GOTY, lol. Anyway, great addicting game.
The game itself is a massive contradiction. It's the best game I've played in a long time, that also happens to be the biggest piece of shit I've played.

Great great game hampered by annoying bugs.

I'm playing through as the blade expert chick and it seems lots of the mods aren't applicable to blades?

I'm enjoying using the shock mod though, any others that are recommended or personal favourites?

DualShadow said:
I'm playing through as the blade expert chick and it seems lots of the mods aren't applicable to blades?

I'm enjoying using the shock mod though, any others that are recommended or personal favourites?
shock mod is cool! trying to find some suicider's meats for the toxic mod. and going to use it on my double blade i found!

JJD

I'll get the game next friday (PS3) version. Should I wait until they patch it to start playing? I'll be getting more than 10 games on friday, but Dead Island is the one I'm most looking forward too...

How's the consensus on PS3 version? Is it comparable to the 360 one?

jersoc

this game seriously needs to work on joining games and quests. I was in the sewers and decided to join someone's game. Then it completed every single quest I had. So i pretty much lost out on a shit ton of xp/items/money/whatever. Pretty fucking lame.

Havok

JJD said:
I'll get the game next friday (PS3) version. Should I wait until they patch it to start playing? I'll be getting more than 10 games on friday, but Dead Island is the one I'm most looking forward too...

How's the consensus on PS3 version? Is it comparable to the 360 one?
Save yourself the headache, wait for a patch that fixes saves. This version is dogshit unless you like losing hours of progress at the drop of a hat, over and over again.

JJD

Havok said:
Save yourself the headache, wait for a patch that fixes saves. This version is dogshit unless you like losing hours of progress at the drop of a hat, over and over again.

Wow! Thanks for the heads up...I'll be playing Shadows of the Damned until they fix things!

Flunkie

Banned
Motherfucking shit. Even using the tool gives me errors because it can't find the DeadIsland folder in My Documents. WTF WHY AM I HAVING THIS

Flunkie

Banned
DMPrince said:
wrong folder. it's the steam one lol.
I directed it to the Steam folder. I'm saying that my settings are not saved in My Documents/DeadIsland. I don't even have a DeadIsland folder, which is used for the big stuff like shadows and FoV.

Salsa

Flunkie said:
I directed it to the Steam folder. I'm saying that my settings are not saved in My Documents/DeadIsland. I don't even have a DeadIsland folder, which is used for the big stuff like shadows and FoV.

have you played the game?

saunderez

DualShadow said:
The paralysing blow one is good. I've got it on a machete, usually slows down the faster zombies enough that I can lop off their limbs and head.

Top Bottom