• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

Marty Chinn said:
On average, I'll have anywhere from $3000 to $4000 when I check, but I don't check too often.

I don't now if there's a definitive source so far that really explains how much money you lose. But it seems like the same system Borderlands had - the higher level you are and the more money you have, the more you lose when you die.

KoreanBarbecue said:
I don't now if there's a definitive source so far that really explains how much money you lose. But it seems like the same system Borderlands had - the higher level you are and the more money you have, the more you lose when you die.

Unlike Borderlands though, I find myself not spending a ton of money and I still have a ton of items that I can sell. I haven't found a need to sell them though. The only time I find myself spending money is to repair my weapons. Throuoghout Act 1, I didn't even use weapons though. Money right now is not an issue. Is there a point in the game where you start needing to spend?

Marty Chinn said:
Unlike Borderlands though, I find myself not spending a ton of money and I still have a ton of items that I can sell. I haven't found a need to sell them though. The only time I find myself spending money is to repair my weapons. Throuoghout Act 1, I didn't even use weapons though. Money right now is not an issue. Is there a point in the game where you start needing to spend?

I was probably in the same boat as you early on in the game (I'm at about 85% complete now) and only really used my cash to repair. As I start weening myself off my lower level weapons and start upgrading and modding my new, higher-level ones, I go through cash pretty fast. If you start rolling with some high level weapons outfitted with mods, I think money may start becoming more scarce for you (and if you keep dying :) ).

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
KoreanBarbecue said:

You lose 10%.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Marty Chinn said:
I'll have anywhere from 2k to 4k on me and I'll lose no more than 10% of my cash and usually a lot less than that. Lately, it's only been about $100 and I can easily pick that up off a couple zombies. The penalty is just so damn small that it doesn't matter. I kinda go in not caring if I get killed now.

If you're focusing on getting money it can really hurt. I was saving up 10K for a weapon so I tried as much as possible to not die.

Your weapons also keep the same deterioration level, so if you keep dying and losing money you're going to pretty much have nothing if you keep repairing your best weapons.

pelican

just downloaded a tweak program from demonoid.

Works well. Changed my FOV, and tweaked graphic options such as bloom. Looks much better now.

Marty Chinn said:
I had to sell when I got to act 2. Because I focus way too much on one weapon and when it hits 0%. It cost a lot to repair if its a rare or modded weapon. I have to switch and find a close repair shop

Oh, and to anyone out there thinking about picking up the official strategy guide...don't. A buddy of mine hooked me up with one and it's freaking terrible. Quest details and explanations are laid out in a confusing way and there's basically just cursory information on weapons, mods, and nothing for "secrets" or any other bonus content.

Enco

KoreanBarbecue said:
Oh, and to anyone out there thinking about picking up the official strategy guide...don't. A buddy of mine hooked me up with one and it's freaking terrible. Quest details and explanations are laid out in a confusing way and there's basically just cursory information on weapons, mods, and nothing for "secrets" or any other bonus content.
People still buy strategy guides?

Thanks for the info anyway. I'm sure some people will find it useful :)

woober

I'm assuming this video has been talked about in this thread?

You are already Dead Island

Already-Dead-e1263400503343.jpg

LOL. What a freaking awesome PC mod.

Edit: I see it has a few pages ago. Oops.

Teknoman

Flunkie said:
Once you get to the space station, where are you supposed to go once you kill off the other three characters? This part and the flying section with Zoey from Left4Dead threw me off bigtime. Also, how do you find the tornado gun? I have the harpoon gun and nunchucks but not the tornado. Marbles are awesome.

Huh?

Moofers

Gotta love that weapon dupe trick. I've now got over $300K in my Dead Island bank account. :D Kinda changes the game a bunch, but if you're complaining about weapon degredation, there's your answer.

Moofers said:
Gotta love that weapon dupe trick. I've now got over $300K in my Dead Island bank account. :D Kinda changes the game a bunch, but if you're complaining about weapon degredation, there's your answer.

The game isn't very challenging as it is, to dupe on your first play through just seems like you are just ruining the experience imo.

Moofers said:
Doesn't sound fun really

derFeef

KingOfKong said:
The game isn't very challenging as it is, to dupe on your first play through just seems like you are just ruining the experience imo.
People seem to love that. Weapon duping, disabling durability, make zombies not drownable, etc.

grim0451

Neo Member
Man this game is sold out everywhere where I live. Every time I go into the store there are people both calling and walking around looking for the game, and pretty much every store is getting no more then one or two copies at a time. I was going to order it from the futureshop website but overnight they went from 30 copies to zero. I'm giving up for the time being until gears comes out and people hopefully move on and I can finally get a copy.

Gav47

Two questions:

Should I put points into lock-picking?
I joined a random internet game and the guy booted me but all the quests he had and I didn't still show up in my quest log but say "Quest progress will not be saved". Will I still get the quest when I find them myself? Anyone else have this problem?

This game is fucking rad, not sure who said it but "Borderlands with zombies and melee combat" is the perfect analogy for this game. Analogue combat is so satisfying.

Alright erased my old save and started anew and turned it to single player only and signed off PSN. Trophies have started to work again. So far so good, but ....... I'm still scared.

DEAD ISLAND

TheBear

Anne Snider and Kim show up on my map, but I can't seem to get inside the house where they are. Are they apart of a mission? How do I activate it?

Okay according to the official twitter the save game issue is due to server overload and the amount of players online. They said that they couldn't have possibly have tested it (rollseyes.jpg) and the patch should be out ASAP.

So....playing offline and not signed in should create NO save issues.

AEREC

bigjimmystyle said:
Anne Snider and Kim show up on my map, but I can't seem to get inside the house where they are. Are they apart of a mission? How do I activate it?

There's a door you can use on the side I believe.

Kolgar

Like a dumbass, I mistakenly ordered the PC version from Kmart.

Out of desperation, I ask: Can I run this on my laptop?

Specs:
Q720 i7 CPU at 1.6 GHz
nVidia GT 330m graphics
4GB RAM

Any hope? Thanks in advance.

Kolgar said:
Like a dumbass, I mistakenly ordered the PC version from Kmart.

Out of desperation, I ask: Can I run this on my laptop?

Specs:
Q720 i7 CPU at 1.6 GHz
nVidia GT 330m graphics
4GB RAM

Any hope? Thanks in advance.

Assuming a 330m is better than a 8800GS, then yes you'll be fine. It runs surprisingly well on old hardware.

The M.O.B

Metalmurphy said:
Just finished it. 35 Hours. Most of it through co-op with 2 friends.

One of the best games this year, totally underrated in reviews imo.

To be fair a lot of reviewers said it would be a much better game without the bugs, and the review build didn't have the Day 1 patch like we got.

This game has been tempting me for the past two weeks. I must be strong and wait for the Steam holiday sale..."be strong, be strong"

/looks at wallet

Nemesis_

I just got this in the mail, like the atmosphere and the soundtrack.

But seriously, how am I meant to find anything? Am I just meant to literally wander around until I find something, or is there a quest marker setting I've missed or something?

I do like this game a lot, but I haven't really made any progress and to be honest I don't really know how to =/

Nemesis556 said:

But seriously, how am I meant to find anything? Am I just meant to literally wander around until I find something, or is there a quest marker setting I've missed or something?

I do like this game a lot, but I haven't really made any progress and to be honest I don't really know how to =/
Your phone will ring around around 2am this morning. Make sure you pick it up right after the fourth ring. If you've done the tutorial in the game, you'll know the password to say when you answer, which will unlock the quest map.

Nemesis556 said:

Potential quests will be marked on the map with a white exclaimation mark.

Edit: If you're near the beginning then just talk with Sinamoi. Make sure you talk to NPCs for quests. Any active quests will be marked on the map.

Pancho

Qurupancho
Ok...so this is pretty annoying.

Since last week I've been trying to play with my cousin (PS3 version btw), we connect fine but eventually, around 30 minutes in a session, the game disconnects. I'm wondering if it's an issue with the game or is it because of a connection issue which I couldn't understand cuz we play other games just fine. Also, it's very weird that we can't see each other on the "Friend" list on the game lobby, we join each other by invites.

So help me out here GAF! I've been loving the game solo so far with a different character but I want to give co-op a try too.

blurrygil

Puppet Shadow said:
Your phone will ring around around 2am this morning. Make sure you pick it up right after the fourth ring. If you've done the tutorial in the game, you'll know the password to say when you answer, which will unlock the quest map.

:lol

Top Bottom