• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

Phreaker

14 hrs played on 360 and I've only had two issues (installed to my HDD, btw):

1. The dude that wants alcohol. I had to give him way more than 3 to complete the quest, but maybe that 's how it's supposed to work? My co-op partner and I just kept giving them to him each time we found some. It eventually completed.

2. After getting to the church in Act II my 360 locked up and locked up hard. Meaning I had to pull the plug to get it to reset. The scary part is it said saving... on my screen! I rebooted and my co-op partner was still playing so I joined his game and continued from there without any problems.

I love this game so far. I like the premise better than Borderlands and it seems to have deeper RPG elements. I wish for more (co-op) games like this, I'd buy em all! :) This has been a total sleeper hit for me. I didn't even know if I'd want it two weeks ago...

wwm0nkey said:
Do you have the game installed on your 360? That stopped my friends games from crashing also it reduces the amount of pop-in by A LOT.

Yeah I have it installed.

When its crashed, 3 times it just hard locked my 360 and I had to reboot my system. And a few times I'd be questing with my some friends and the game slows to 3 fps for all 3 of us and we have to all quit out and restart.

Its never crashed when I was (briefly)playing alone though.

Techland has done a great job. I'm always tense and never feel safe. The infected are wonderfully horrible to encounter and there are areas in game where they will swarm and overwhelm you quickly. I'm also a fan of the ladder mechanic.
A friend and I were in an alley, he had just started climbing when around the corner comes a Ram and starts to charge, talk about intense. It was brilliant.

*edit* my 360 is an original launch 360 sans the HDMI

Phreaker said:
14 hrs played on 360 and I've only had two issues (installed to my HDD, btw):

1. The dude that wants alcohol. I had to give him way more than 3 to complete the quest, but maybe that 's how it's supposed to work? My co-op partner and I just kept giving them to him each time we found some. It eventually completed.

2. After getting to the church in Act II my 360 locked up and locked up hard. Meaning I had to pull the plug to get it to reset. The scary part is it said saving... on my screen! I rebooted and my co-op partner was still playing so I joined his game and continued from there without any problems.

I love this game so far. I like the premise better than Borderlands and it seems to have deeper RPG elements. I wish for more (co-op) games like this, I'd buy em all! :) This has been a total sleeper hit for me. I didn't even know if I'd want it two weeks ago...
i thought the first one you mentioned was a continuous quest meaning you could keep giving him. is that the guy that you have to give 5 alcohol? and then water? lol.

Some people over at GameFaqs are saying that on the PS3 version. If you play offline and sign off of PSN that the auto save glitch DOESN'T happen.

Can any other players confirm this. I really want to start playing this, even if it is offline.

Havok

XxSlasherMcGirkxX said:
Some people over at GameFaqs are saying that on the PS3 version. If you play offline and sign off of PSN that the auto save glitch DOESN'T happen.

Can any other players confirm this. I really want to start playing this, even if it is offline.
Doesn't work.

Phreaker

DMPrince said:
i thought the first one you mentioned was a continuous quest meaning you could keep giving him. is that the guy that you have to give 5 alcohol? and then water? lol.

No, this one was not one of those continuous ones, but it sure seemed like it! :) We just kept giving him alcohol. He was in one of those round huts near the pool and was hung over and needed "the hair of the dog". I forget the NPC's name and the name of the quest though.

Edit: I think the quest name was "Out Of Stock"

So my Save on PC corrupted this weekend......

I was in the last few chapters and I decided to join someone online, when I quit the game froze while it was loading up my checkpoint and the game crashed. Opened the game back up to it crashing whenever I select that particular character.

Really pissed as I put 27hrs into the game....

As if the random restarting my computer this game does was not bad enough <_<

I have a pretty powerful rig too, i52500k EVGA GTX570SC, and 8GB ram on 64bit Windows 7.

Love this game, but these problems are pissing me off....

KageMaru

ii Stryker said:
Yeah I have it installed.

When its crashed, 3 times it just hard locked my 360 and I had to reboot my system. And a few times I'd be questing with my some friends and the game slows to 3 fps for all 3 of us and we have to all quit out and restart.

Its never crashed when I was (briefly)playing alone though.

Techland has done a great job. I'm always tense and never feel safe. The infected are wonderfully horrible to encounter and there are areas in game where they will swarm and overwhelm you quickly. I'm also a fan of the ladder mechanic.
A friend and I were in an alley, he had just started climbing when around the corner comes a Ram and starts to charge, talk about intense. It was brilliant.

*edit* my 360 is an original launch 360 sans the HDMI

Yup, I've been playing co-op with stryker and the screen will go gray, slow down to 3fps, and everyone will begin to die (regardless if zombies are around or not).

I call it the gray screen of death, and it's extremely annoying. Have a new 360 slim model btw, with the game installed.

I've never felt so ripped off before. I pay sixty bucks for this game and it's a complete mess and I am sitting here waiting to play this game I got almost two weeks ago waiting for a second patch that won't delete my progress.

I wish I could just dismiss it all together and just sell the game back but I actually like this game under all the mess and desperately want to play it. They tease me with it's gameplay and fun the first day and then take it all away.

And I can see it now this will get "fixed" like a week before Uncharted 3 multiplayer hits. I know it.

On PC, I was having a lot of problems with my graphics card driver crashing and then recovering, all without crashing the game - so the screen would go black for about three seconds - I could still hear sound effects - and then it would show the image again until about fifteen seconds later when it would do it all again.

I doubt the card was overheating (although I can't confirm this) because this was after five or so minutes of play, and way more technically demanding games have never done this... it's a pretty newish system.

I seem to have fixed it by disabling Windows 7's Aero scheme (good riddance anyway) and forcing vsync within the video.scr file. I haven't extensively tested it (by extensively testing a weapon on a horde of zombie's heads/knees) but impressions have been good so far. I'm optimistic. As much as I love the game, if this happens too much more I will shelf the fucking thing.

What are your strategies for fighting different zombies? The standard 'walkers' are easy, the 'infected' overwhelm me pretty much every time if there are more than 2 or 3, I usually try to kick first to hopefully knock them down but I get owned a lot of the time. I've just started the city area and got killed in one shot by one of those 'ram' fellows and to make matters worse I've just discovered the poison gas motherfuckers. I have not come across any really good weapons, durability is something like 30 even upgraded so my weapon can break after only 2 fights. I chose to play as Xian (knife lady) but I wish I'd chose gun lady as the instruction manual says she has a private sidearm with unlimited ammo (?)

IndieJones said:
On PC, I was having a lot of problems with my graphics card driver crashing and then recovering, all without crashing the game - so the screen would go black for about three seconds - I could still hear sound effects - and then it would show the image again until about fifteen seconds later when it would do it all again.

I doubt the card was overheating (although I can't confirm this) because this was after five or so minutes of play, and way more technically demanding games have never done this... it's a pretty newish system.

I seem to have fixed it by disabling Windows 7's Aero scheme (good riddance anyway) and forcing vsync within the video.scr file. I haven't extensively tested it (by extensively testing a weapon on a horde of zombie's heads/knees) but impressions have been good so far. I'm optimistic. As much as I love the game, if this happens too much more I will shelf the fucking thing.
ati?

Haunted

Phreaker said:
No, this one was not one of those continuous ones, but it sure seemed like it! :) We just kept giving him alcohol. He was in one of those round huts near the pool and was hung over and needed "the hair of the dog". I forget the NPC's name and the name of the quest though.

Edit: I think the quest name was "Out Of Stock"
You need 15 Alcohol to end that quest (5 Alcohol three times). I had the same problem since it basically doesn't tell you anywhere, just "bring more" yet it's not a continuous quest.

CoilShot said:
Where do I find scrap metal at?
Random drop in searchable places. I don't think it's in personal baggage, you'll find it in garbage cans throughout the city, and I think some of the searchable electronics in the Hotel/Police Station/other houses also can have them.

XxSlasherMcGirkxX said:

I started doing this after my saves glitched up repeatedly and it has worked so far, disabled the network on the ps3 options and playing singleplayer mode.

FINALBOSS

Banned
PumpkinPie said:
What are your strategies for fighting different zombies? The standard 'walkers' are easy, the 'infected' overwhelm me pretty much every time if there are more than 2 or 3, I usually try to kick first to hopefully knock them down but I get owned a lot of the time. I've just started the city area and got killed in one shot by one of those 'ram' fellows and to make matters worse I've just discovered the poison gas motherfuckers. I have not come across any really good weapons, durability is something like 30 even upgraded so my weapon can break after only 2 fights. I chose to play as Xian (knife lady) but I wish I'd chose gun lady as the instruction manual says she has a private sidearm with unlimited ammo (?)

Walkers - hack and slash
Infected- Keep backing up until they come at you in a row (if there are multiple) and 1 hit kills to the head. I'm using Xian and she can slice off the heads of Infested with 1 shot right in a row.
Thugs - You really gotta box with those dudes. Take your time and wait until they do that loud roar and go in for the hits. If your weapon is poisoned/electrocuted pray you get a hit of it on em.
Floaters - Just dodge the vomit, these guys are easiest of the "tough" dudes.
Ram - Dodge out of the way of his running and mess him up.
Suicider - Get near em then run away...or gun em down from afar.
Butcher - Same strategy of the Infested. They run towards you, hit em, they get stunned. They run at you again, repeat. If you get hit, dodge backwards and let him do his attack animations and run the same steps.

The hardest enemy in the game is easily the Infected. They run full speed at you from insanely far away and their attacks are wicked fast. I've played for like 40 hours it feels like and I just got to the last 10% of the game. Then I'll immediately start again with a new character---Resistance 3 is gonna have to wait!

PumpkinPie said:

Your rage is good bet against hordes/swarms of the infected. I'm playing as Sam and a Sledgehammer knocks them down quite effectively.

If you lose stamina get on top of a van until you regain.

When in the city, you have to pick and choose your battles. You're not going to be able to fight every zombie you see and survive. Sometimes the best thing to do is run for your life. :)

KageMaru

PumpkinPie said:

To combat the infected type, I generally run to a taller vehicle (minivan, truck, etc.) and jump on top of it. They can climb after you, but at least this way it's easier to funnel them and kick them off the vehicle one at a time if you're having a hard time cutting them up.

The gas zombies never gave me much trouble. They are the first type of zombies to throw items at me, but other than this, they were just as easy as the typical walkers.

I'm also Xian and I think she's great. I have 4 machetes, 3 of which are military machetes, and I specialize in poison attacks since she has skills to boost that element. I may not take hits very well, but I can deal a good chunk of damage. If you level her up well, she is a great character.

Stitch said:
lol the game went full retard and is now spamming infected.
so annoying.

certain areas will spam the infected HARD.

The pool area at the resorts main entrance and the canal that runs through the middle of the city(theres a quarantined red cross camp there). Its best to run through these areas straight to your objective, stop for nothing.

Stitch said:
lol the game went full retard and is now spamming infected.
so annoying.
Yep, pissed me the fuck off last night. Everytime I heard that scream, I was like "are you fucking kidding me? How many of these bastards are there?" At one point I swear I saw them spawning off of buildings and jumping down to me. It was literally raining Infected.

FINALBOSS said:
Walkers - hack and slash
Infected- Keep backing up until they come at you in a row (if there are multiple) and 1 hit kills to the head. I'm using Xian and she can slice off the heads of Infested with 1 shot right in a row.
Thugs - You really gotta box with those dudes. Take your time and wait until they do that loud roar and go in for the hits. If your weapon is poisoned/electrocuted pray you get a hit of it on em.
Floaters - Just dodge the vomit, these guys are easiest of the "tough" dudes.
Ram - Dodge out of the way of his running and mess him up.
Suicider - Get near em then run away...or gun em down from afar.
Butcher - Same strategy of the Infested. They run towards you, hit em, they get stunned. They run at you again, repeat. If you get hit, dodge backwards and let him do his attack animations and run the same steps.

The hardest enemy in the game is easily the Infected. They run full speed at you from insanely far away and their attacks are wicked fast. I've played for like 40 hours it feels like and I just got to the last 10% of the game. Then I'll immediately start again with a new character---Resistance 3 is gonna have to wait!

I find that the infected are the easiest to kill. They're loud as hell so you usually have a ton of warning, plus they're a 1 hit kill if you time it right which isn't too tough to do.

I'm finding the game pretty easy in general, playing solo. I sometimes get caught by a Suicider since they're so quiet and they sneak up on you. Also, rams seem to always be in tight spaces so it can be hard to find the real estate to get out of the way in time. Also those fucking humans with guns are so annoying (playing as a blunt objects character).

I liked the Resort alot more than the City so far. There were way more distinct "landmarks" and visual variety on the resort as opposed to the city which is just rows and rows and rows of shabby buildings, wrecked cars and garbage.

Anyways, the game is still so awesome. I'm about 15 hours in, level 26 and only 36% done the story.

My friend and I have been obsessed with this game since it came out. We have run into quite a few glitches and issues but just can't stop playing. I am about 15 hours in and just hit Act 2. It should be repetitive and banal and annoying, but we are having an absolute blast.

Plus, she just gave me the best review of the game I have ever heard. "It's like the Courtney Love of video games. Totally fucked up, highly entertaining, and covered in brain matter."

Elhandro

Samus4145 said:
Digital Download only, BASTARD! Was expecting PS3 version down to $40!

My Bad, Was in the office and wanted to get the info out fast. Game sounds awsome but I wouldnt want anyone paying full price for a beta.

Save your money and invest in your PC.

Just to add to the ps3 knowledge base....

I have two characters, 12 hours between them. I've played both online with all slots set to private. I haven't lost data with either character.

I dont know if it's my settings or I'm just lucky, but I keep reading about how you have to play single player or with the cord pulled and im doing the opposite and haven't had the save glitch once.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Still no bugs playing solo on PS3 LAN mode... just an update.

Zenith

Banned
Where are interesting places to go in the Jungle? I'm already at the lab so I've done the village on the right and the military bugging. i see a highway up top but I'm not sure I can be bothered to go there at the moment.

Flunkie

Banned
Once you get to the space station, where are you supposed to go once you kill off the other three characters? This part and the flying section with Zoey from Left4Dead threw me off bigtime. Also, how do you find the tornado gun? I have the harpoon gun and nunchucks but not the tornado. Marbles are awesome.

Dizzle24

XxSlasherMcGirkxX said:

PS3 version here. Playing since day one. I immediately changed the game's online settings to solo/offline so i wasnt interupted, and have not experienced any problems at all.
I also declined any updates when prompted, having read about the "progress glitch."

I'm on Act 2 right now.

Anyone starting to not care if you "die" in the game? It seems like the penalty is just so damn small that it doesn't matter. Oh boy, I lost $100 but I got full health now and I'm still about the same place I was!

Marty Chinn said:
Anyone starting to not care if you "die" in the game? It seems like the penalty is just so damn small that it doesn't matter. Oh boy, I lost $100 but I got full health now and I'm still about the same place I was!

Eh, it doesn't bother me, but the amount you lose scales depending on how much cash you have. When I'm rolling with a lot of money, it is a bit annoying to lose a nice chunk of it when I die.

Elhandro said:
Amazon has this in stock @ $40 bucks Uall.....Go Get.

*runs to amazon, sees it is only digital PC download, grabs pitchfork.

Had my hopes that the 360 version was 40. :(

Oh well Gears is only a week away I guess.

KoreanBarbecue said:
Eh, it doesn't bother me, but the amount you lose scales depending on how much cash you have. When I'm rolling with a lot of money, it is a bit annoying to lose a nice chunk of it when I die.
I'll have anywhere from 2k to 4k on me and I'll lose no more than 10% of my cash and usually a lot less than that. Lately, it's only been about $100 and I can easily pick that up off a couple zombies. The penalty is just so damn small that it doesn't matter. I kinda go in not caring if I get killed now.

stuminus3

This game is fantastic (questionable PC release aside) but I get such horrible motion sickness playing it. It's so weird, I've never experienced anything like this in my life. Changing the FOV etc doesn't seem to help much. I feel like I could throw up just thinking about playing it. Totally bizarre.

daviyoung

Banned
Marty Chinn said:

I care. Once I got fleeced $700.

whyman

stuminus3 said:
This game is fantastic (questionable PC release aside) but I get such horrible motion sickness playing it. It's so weird, I've never experienced anything like this in my life. Changing the FOV etc doesn't seem to help much. I feel like I could throw up just thinking about playing it. Totally bizarre.

Ive got the same thing. And never had it before in a game. I can play for like an hour but after that im starting to feel really sick. I guess its the constant up and down movement of the camera.

Marty Chinn said:
Once you start losing 5k a pop, you'll care.

Top Bottom