• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island Riptide |OT| More of the same, deal with it

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Game Informer liked it...should be fun.

''Riptide’s flaws are many, but they couldn’t hold me back from having a blast. Few games nail the visceral feel of melee combat and co-op fun like Dead Island.''

''Importing your survivor

Players can import characters from the first Dead Island – whether you beat the game with them or not -– as long it’s on the same profile. These characters transfer over with nothing but their previous skills and level. This is great for dedicated players who maxed out their Dead Island characters, and there are even a few new skills to learn. If you’re starting fresh in Riptide or your previous character is fairly low-level, you can start a new character with 15 skill points free to allocate how you see fit.''

Hmmm...I like this feature. I'm about to finish the first DI, so maybe I'll pick this up

one thing I really think I'll like about this game is the apparent addition of generic upgradable skills for each of the four combat types for every character. In DI certain characters had certain skills in their trees that made them better at a combat type aside from their specialty (Purna had a blade skill, for example). In footage of this game I've seen 4 individual skills at the bottom of the skill tree screen for blunt, blade, gun, and hand-to-hand, and apparently if you use a weapon of that type enough, that skill will level up independent from the 3 skill trees, which in theory will make characters more unique.

I could be wrong, though.

Reviews are right where I was expecting them, still day one for me! ;)

greg miller LMAO

"and answers to the question that's plagued mankind for years 'who do you voodoo bitch'"

Yeah the first game was a sleeper hit for me. I didn't think I would like it but damn did I enjoy playing it. It got tiresome by the end but the combat just kept it going.

I'd like to have another reference to Papa Shango please!

The first game had the following locales - beach, city, sewers, jungle and prison. All of them varied in quality. Can someone who has played this one tell me which of these locales are repeated, and what new ones they might have added? It's a strange question I know... I personally liked the beach a lot but the sewers were horrible and the prison was pretty mediocre so I kind of associate different sections of the game with varying quality. If this new one has more beaches and maybe cities, I can see myself liking it a lot more than if they went and stuffed in more indoor areas like sewers.

Melchiah

True enough. One of the things I am taking away from this generation is that feeling that not all the systems are alike despite having the same hardware. Many times I chalked it up to perhaps just the user. But now having so many consoles to test on there is something odd about the difference from console to console.
When I was recording for the Dead Island review I noticed a big difference between 2 particular 360's. It reminded me of those complaints from many PS3 users that reported drastically different performance depending on what PS3 they had with Dragons Dogma. Than I saw it, and recorded it first hand. Sort of odd for sure.

Not to mention, that those ME3 framerate issues happened with two different PS3s for me; old 60GB fatty and the 320GB slim. Although I had exchanged the fatty's default HDD to a 320GB/7200rpm WD Scorpio Black. So, seemingly the only similarity was, that both had nearly full 320GB HDDs.

Karak

Not to mention, that those ME3 framerate issues happened with two different PS3s for me; old 60GB fatty and the 320GB slim. Although I had exchanged the fatty's default HDD to a 320GB/7200rpm WD Scorpio Black. So, seemingly the only similarity was, that both had nearly full 320GB HDDs.

Interesting. Something I will be keeping an eye on in the next gen for sure.

The first game had the following locales - beach, city, sewers, jungle and prison. All of them varied in quality. Can someone who has played this one tell me which of these locales are repeated, and what new ones they might have added? It's a strange question I know... I personally liked the beach a lot but the sewers were horrible and the prison was pretty mediocre so I kind of associate different sections of the game with varying quality. If this new one has more beaches and maybe cities, I can see myself liking it a lot more than if they went and stuffed in more indoor areas like sewers.

The first huge map is a jungle but what adds to this map is the flooded areas and use of boats. It feels different then the more jungle/jurrasic park like feel of the first games jungle.

The second area is the city, this feels a bit more like the city from the second but also feels different with a hospice center, theater, and military installation in the city.

The tunnels in this game are a old japan WWII tunnels and you go through them once but they are pretty dark most the time and you use flares to light the tunnels up.

Other areas you go to briefly are Bio Dome, A highway/ferrry location, and then some off loaded sections like a small cave, or small idoslated dead zone with boss specific uber zombies, etc.

Okay, so the reviews aren't so hot for the most part it looks like. Haven't had time to read them, but are the complaints basically that it's 'more of the same'? If so, that's fine with me. As long as the game isn't worse than the first one I'm sure I'll have a ton of fun. First game is one of my favorite games ever. I just loved it.

Okay, so the reviews aren't so hot for the most part it looks like. Haven't had time to read them, but are the complaints basically that it's 'more of the same'? If so, that's fine with me. As long as the game isn't worse than the first one I'm sure I'll have a ton of fun. First game is one of my favorite games ever. I just loved it.

You will enjoy this then, just the same! :D

pretty much + 1 new character

if u loved the original, sounds great (eg to me)

if u didnt, nothing to change your mind

Dead Island Riptide is very fun. But it's still an average/okay game overall.

If you liked Dead Island, you'll more than likely like Riptide. I just feel they didn't do enough to be different from the first time.

I posted a guide, which Deep Silver PR provided me to alter the FOV on DI Riptide:
http://www.savingcontent.com/2013/04/dead-island-riptide-how-to-change-the-fov-on-pc/
- This should work for the original GOTY Edition as well

Why wouldn't they just put a slider in the game? They're clearly aware that tons of people don't like to play with a console fov

Krakn3Dfx

Original game was very much a "love it or hate it" situation, with most of the complaints not being completely unlike the complaints about Riptide. I loved the original and played through a couple of times, cannot wait to check this one out.

The first huge map is a jungle but what adds to this map is the flooded areas and use of boats. It feels different then the more jungle/jurrasic park like feel of the first games jungle.

The second area is the city, this feels a bit more like the city from the second but also feels different with a hospice center, theater, and military installation in the city.

The tunnels in this game are a old japan WWII tunnels and you go through them once but they are pretty dark most the time and you use flares to light the tunnels up.

Other areas you go to briefly are Bio Dome, A highway/ferrry location, and then some off loaded sections like a small cave, or small idoslated dead zone with boss specific uber zombies, etc.

Thanks Slasher, there seems to be a nice variety, except for those stupid tunnels. About how long would you say Riptide is vs. the original DI? I've read people spending 40 hrs on first one before completion. I'm at 27 hrs with the first one and still have a ways to go.

Karak

I beat it in a little over 12 hours and you could EASILY play it much longer without feeling like you stretched out the game.

Dawg

Metacritic seems to be ranging from 60-70 average, not really unexpected.

Then again, the first game also got 71% metacritic for Xbox and PS3, PC was highest with 80%.

Conclusion: this game probably ain't bad, it's just the first game with more content, a few updates and a new character/story/island. This doesn't have to be bad, depending on what you want from this game. The bad part is the many bugs that aren't fixed and apparently... the framerate/framedrops are even worse now?

Karak

The bad part is the many bugs that aren't fixed and apparently... the framerate/framedrops are even worse now?

Seems to be completely random. Testing it on 3 different xboxes netted me with different results each time most of them from barely ok to bad. Many reviews state its bad and others don't mention it or barely at all. Honestly its a bit infuriating as I don't mind a game having the same features as the original. In fact I really love that feeling. But technically I really rated it down a good deal due to the technical issues.

Thanks Slasher, there seems to be a nice variety, except for those stupid tunnels. About how long would you say Riptide is vs. the original DI? I've read people spending 40 hrs on first one before completion. I'm at 27 hrs with the first one and still have a ways to go.

Well I had 20 hours logged on Riptide. Now my memory is a bit hazy but I swear I only got about 23 hours or maybe 24 on the original. I know cause my time was 44 hours on Logan and that was two play throughs back to back. I played solo all the way through on the original and this one for the most part.

I'd still say DI is def the bigger of the games, but Riptide is still meaty with two huge maps and a few smaller areas. Def worth the 49.99 imo. As for glitches some mention. All my issues were very minor. Never had a long running framerate issue or anything that broke my game and again 20 hours on it.

The import feature is nice, but Logan is such a douchebag, no idea why I kept playing him.

That's another thing to mention. I don't recall the characters talking as much in the original, correct me if I'm wrong. I think here we get different dialog with all the characters we use. Kinda cool. You LOVE Logan... you love him!

Well I had 20 hours logged on Riptide. Now my memory is a bit hazy but I swear I only got about 23 hours or maybe 24 on the original. I know cause my time was 44 hours on Logan and that was two play throughs back to back. I played solo all the way through on the original and this one for the most part.

I'd still say DI is def the bigger of the games, but Riptide is still meaty with two huge maps and a few smaller areas. Def worth the 49.99 imo. As for glitches some mention. All my issues were very minor. Never had a long running framerate issue or anything that broke my game and again 20 hours on it.

That's another thing to mention. I don't recall the characters talking as much in the original, correct me if I'm wrong. I think here we get different dialog with all the characters we use. Kinda cool. You LOVE Logan... you love him!

Excellent Slasher, thanks for the update. I don't mind half the time but hearing about the framerate issues is not cool. I wonder if the screen tearing is just as bad as it was in DI.

Melchiah

Did you skip most of the sidequests? It took me 49 hours, and I only skipped the guarantine zone quest, and a couple of minor ones, which included too much backtracking, and didn't have meaningful rewards.

EDIT: And did you get There and back again (explore the entire island) & Busy, busy, busy (finish 75 quests cumulatively) trophies?

Hawk SE

Why wouldn't they just put a slider in the game? They're clearly aware that tons of people don't like to play with a console fov

Yes, and I brought that up and they told me they won't put a FOV slider in the game. The reason, they said, was because it would impact the minimum CPU requirements and CPU requirements would have to go up as a result. And they didn't want to confuse anyone into thinking their computer wasn't adequate, even if it was.

So, no FOV slider. And they provided a workaround. Not ideal by any means, though.

Did you skip most of the sidequests? It took me 49 hours, and I only skipped the guarantine zone quest, and a couple of minor ones, which included too much backtracking, and didn't have meaningful rewards.

EDIT: And did you get There and back again (explore the entire island) & Busy, busy, busy (finish 75 quests cumulatively) trophies?

The only thing I missed out on the first run was that entire north area in the jungle (I remember there was a lady stuck ona bridge or something like that) which lead to a whole smaller group of survivors. Other then that I did everything else as far as I can tell. On the second run through I got that there and back achievement. I remember running alot in the city map because I always felt flustered and out numbered, so I know I didn't do a whole lot of fighting in that map. Not sure on busy, busy, busy. Someone can check my acheivments Slasherjpc. I would but am blocked at work.

Melchiah

The only thing I missed out on the first run was that entire north area in the jungle (I remember there was a lady stuck ona bridge or something like that) which lead to a whole smaller group of survivors. Other then that I did everything else as far as I can tell. On the second run through I got that there and back achievement. I remember running alot in the city map because I always felt flustered and out numbered, so I know I didn't do a whole lot of fighting in that map. Not sure on busy, busy, busy. Someone can check my acheivments Slasherjpc. I would but am blocked at work.

I'm surprised it took so little time for you. Perhaps I just did the quests and sidequests in an order, that involved more going back and forth, which increased the time. I did learn about the Developer Mods only later on, so I had to return to already visited places to get some of them.

Karak

I'm surprised it took so little time for you. Perhaps I just did the quests and sidequests in an order, that involved more going back and forth, which increased the time. I did learn about the Developer Mods only later on, so I had to return to already visited places to get some of them.

Damn dude:) You loved the original.

watched the first 90 minutes and it looks like they improved the gun damage in this. That's good because in the first one, you couldn't even kill a zed with a headshot unless you did a few upgrades.

Well to be fair. I was working in Afghanistan at the time. I was at a small base where there was NOTHING to do. So when I got off work or wasn't at work I was gaming on xbox. So I played it solo and then started over again once I beat it. Yeah work/game is all I did for that year over there. So I'm glad I can play this one with people online now. Though I love it single player as well :D

derFeef

At this point most major review scores should be ignored for fans of the original. Somehow a new game is release with minor tweaks and its not blowing these folks away (not sure why they expected that in the first place) and therefor their review scores are extremely low.

Heart of the Swarm 5/5!
I'm not complaining, just saying :p

Ricker

Seems to be completely random. Testing it on 3 different xboxes netted me with different results each time most of them from barely ok to bad. Many reviews state its bad and others don't mention it or barely at all. Honestly its a bit infuriating as I don't mind a game having the same features as the original. In fact I really love that feeling. But technically I really rated it down a good deal due to the technical issues.

Did you install it on one to see if that helps or where the 3 installed...?

Karak

Did you install it on one to see if that helps or where the 3 installed...?

Installed on every single one. But its mirroring what a lot of playthroughs are showing so its not like its just 1 or 2 people. Its random and hitting a good number of players. Like I was saying before its a complete return to the Dragons Dogma issue that occurred for some people.

I have this pre-ordered but won't start it until I'm finished with Far Cry 3. Can anyone who has played it, and has also played as that new fifth character, tell me what he is like?

sunnz

Is there a crossbow/bow and arrow added?

May sound stupid but this will determine whether I get the game soon ( sale) or a long time from now ( a bigger sale, like 75% off)

Top Bottom