• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island Riptide |OT| More of the same, deal with it

For those worried about tunnel sections. There is one tunnel section. You never have to go back through it unless you choose to and I thought it was done much better then the sewers in the first. Also the end game aka prison of DI I thought felt pretty rushed. End game here felt better. I agree with everyone who wonders why every other minimal update franchise that's been repeatedly released over and over gets a free pass but we get a second Dead Island and because its more of the same and not some mind blowing sequel... Well then lets just throw a turd sandwhich at it. Yep. Sure.
I trust you, pre-ordered, I'll watch yours and the other Gaf members reviews to get an idea of what I'm in for!

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So... what does importing your character do exactly? I imported my guy from the first game and it still started me at lvl 15 with no gear.

So... what does importing your character do exactly? I imported my guy from the first game and it still started me at lvl 15 with no gear.

If take your level and build. If you only had a level 15 character, then make sense. If you had a higher level character. Something didn't work right. As for your equipment, you do start off fresh with that.

Sinatar

If take your level and build. If you only had a level 15 character, then make sense. If you had a higher level character. Something didn't work right. As for your equipment, you do start off fresh with that.

No it was lvl 35. What happened was it wasn't importing the character I clicked on, it imported the first on the list (which was a lvl 1), I tried importing again and used the keyboard and he imported properly.

How are the servers on PS3 this time?

My friend and I were always being disconnected and had to keep trying for a long time before we could join each other's game, we planned to play Riptide on the 360 because the connectivity issue was so severe on the PS3. But today I found out about the character transfer feature so if I want to do that I'll have to keep playing on the PS3. I'll stay with it if the servers are more tolerable this time.

Super bummed about the midnight. Myself and another dressed up in full zombie getup wity props. Only had 10 people out of 70 preorders show up.

So what the hell. Can anyone join another game on PC? I can't join a random player or my buddies. Extremely annoyed I can't play a co-op game when the co-op game comes out.

derFeef

Why does every review site recommend it to play with friends? Everytime I watched this being played in coop it was only a slaugherfest without any structure and be finished as quick as possible. Meh.

Because deep down inside we both know Logan is simply the greatest. Honestly who doesn't love the Loganator?

True. I wish the throw skill was a bit better, such low percentage.

Karak

Why does every review site recommend it to play with friends? Everytime I watched this being played in coop it was only a slaugherfest without any structure and be finished as quick as possible. Meh.

True. I wish the throw skill was a bit better, such low percentage.

It can totally be played single and, as I said before, its VERY fun, or these games at least, are very fun this way.

Ricker

Steelcase and backpack get... :p

ripq.jpg

Agreed. I see Dead Island as a game to play solo and take your time with, explore at your own pace etc...

I love the exploring aspect quite a bit. The only thing that drives me nuts a little at times is the wonky combat and respawning of zombies. I understand that an area could possibly repopulate with time, but clearing out certain sections where you would think they would never enter again they do. If we get a DI2 or Dead World 2 hopefully some of these other things are fixed, along with the leveling up of the zombies.

AkuMifune

Banned
It can totally be played single and, as I said before, its VERY fun, or these games at least, are very fun this way.

True, but playing co-op doesn't have to be a laugh-fest. My favorite scenario is when I get a good partner who will just cover my back, sweeping and looting moving along with me (and I with him) and almost playing co-op like two solo people. So good.

Karak

True, but playing co-op doesn't have to be a laugh-fest. My favorite scenario is when I get a good partner who will just cover my back, sweeping and looting moving along with me (and I with him) and almost playing co-op like two solo people. So good.

Oh sorry. I wasn't saying it has to be. Not at all. I have a couple go to reviewers who play with me on these style games. What I was saying is that Dead Island Singleplayer and just exploring without worrying about anyone else time or demands on life...is pretty damn cool.

I went to a launch event in NL and I got the same steelcase.

without the game in it, goddamnit
WTF?

Dawg

My thoughts exactly. I did get a cool t-shirt (XXL though, I'm like medium/large at best), but I wish they actually gave the game. The event was for press + regular people and everyone got that same steelcase without a game in it. You could clearly see how people were disappointed :D

DustinC

Something for the people thinking about picking this up that might want to jump between co-op and single player, the save system is sort of dumb.

If you start off playing by yourself, and end up being close to another player in the same area around the same quest, you can jump into their game. But if you do, you'll lose whatever quest progress you currently have. And side quests you've completed that they haven't done yet, you'll need to re-do.

Character levels/skills, current experience, inventory and money are fine, but I was surprised that I had to go back and re-do some of the stuff I had finished before joining, even after exiting the co-op and jumping back to the game to play by myself.

Karak

My thoughts exactly. I did get a cool t-shirt (XXL though, I'm like medium/large at best), but I wish they actually gave the game. The event was for press + regular people and everyone got that same steelcase without a game in it. You could clearly see how people were disappointed :D

Holy shit man. I mean this when I saw that fucking sucks beyond my ability to explain in a post. Jezuz.

derFeef

I guess that's just for a cutscene. I loved letting them run into fire in the first one ;)
edit: Also first thing to do - disable as much hud as possible (dmg numbers, health bars).

Melchiah

I guess that's just for a cutscene. I loved letting them run into fire in the first one ;)

edit: Also first thing to do - disable as much hud as possible (dmg numbers, health bars).

Shame. Well, it might make some parts easier, if there are Infected involved as well, like in the first.

EDIT: Nah, I like to see the damage done. =)

besiktas1

It was out of this or Dragons Dogma 1.5, I went for this, having not played the first for either, I hope I'm not disappointed :)

Installing my copy of the PC version now.

Wondering which character to use...I used Sam B in the first game, but I'm not gonna be importing, as I played the first one on 360.

Yerolo

Played a few hours last night (PC version)....once you sort out the niggles (keyboard microstutter, FOV, startup crashes etc) its pretty fun. Its more of the same but thats definitely not a bad thing

Hopefully a 'dead island helper' gets released for Riptide

Sinatar

Hopefully a 'dead island helper' gets released for Riptide

I imagine it'll be pretty trivial to port over. Heck I copied the deadisland.exe into the riptide directory and was able to use helper for some tweaks already.

Yerolo

I imagine it'll be pretty trivial to port over. Heck I copied the deadisland.exe into the riptide directory and was able to use helper for some tweaks already.

Wait...how does that work ? Do you run the game using the old exe, doesnt make sense :/

Yerolo

They have not fixed the keyboard stutter? Jeeze... I mean I will paly with controller, but wow.

Yeh...pretty crazy. It was one of the most documented issues of the first game, pure laziness on the devs for not addressing it

I couldnt believe it myself when I first fired it up to find it was still there

I think there's a bug involving the inventory and what you have equipped. I had two different pairs of brass knuckles equipped, crafted a weapon using the Nail'd mod and a bat, it equips and now both of my knuckles are gone.

derFeef

Just popped into Dead Island quickly to see what level my character was - eh. I think I might start fresh since a friend might join me this time. Does anyone know how Riptide handles the coop with mixed high and low-lvl characters?

Ricker

The 360 has some area's that look a lot better then the last game but other times,the screen tearing rears it's ugly head and also,like mentionned a few times,the framerate when there's a lot going on gets really bad...I also had 2 huge glitches so far,lost all the sound midway into the prologue and got a weird delayed reaction pop-up,while I was in the cut-scene after the event,that told me a survivor died,press X to go back to the main menu...if I would let it go the voices from the cut scene where playing and the game was moving along,but just the sounds...

Besides that lol,it's good so far,(just about 1 hour in).

LQX

Question for those that pre-purchased on Steam where it came with the first game. Did you have to redeem it first for it to show up or did both get added to your inventory?

Just popped into Dead Island quickly to see what level my character was - eh. I think I might start fresh since a friend might join me this time. Does anyone know how Riptide handles the coop with mixed high and low-lvl characters?

Same as before as far as I can tell. Levels them appropriate to each persons level and somehow figures out the damage variables.

Flunkie

Banned
This is a cut and paste game. Wish I hadn't bought it.

Also, I said it before, I'll say it again. I want a hybrid control scheme. I just want to be able to analog attack when I want to (one-on-one with zombies) as it's more fun, but sometimes I want to just quick attack when there's two or more zombies around. There was literally no improvements from the first game. Everything is the same. Why did I give them my money?

Top Bottom