• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5: Last Round |OT| Bouncing on new systems.

mcz117chief

9AzDUcZ.png

Hi there everyone and welcome to the OT for the World of Final Fantasy! In this game you will travel the wondrous world of Grymoire, fight and imprism fascinating creatures
from all the previous Final Fantasy games, meet fan favourite characters and follow the story of our two protagonists, Lann and Reynn, as they try to remember what they
have forgotten and unravel a great mystery. Don't forget to use light GAF for maximum immersion :)

ojc3vQz.png

World of Final Fantasy is an RPG for Sony Playstation 4 and Sony Playstation Vita following the story of Reynn and Lann as they travel the world of Grymoire. During the
game you fight and capture monsters during turn based battles with classic (and new) Final Fantasy menu system where players can choose which action to take once their
turn is up.

The entire game is stylised to have a more cartoony/fairy tale look instead of the recent, more mature, looking Final Fantasy games like XIII or XV. All inhabitants of the
world of Grymoire have a chibi look to them instead of realistic proportions that these characters have in their own games.

During the game players will encounter a great number of favourite characters from the previous Final Fantasy games such as Lightning or Shelke.

Jkr8uO3.jpg
0mh6EHV.png

gUn68uy.png

The two main characters of the story are Lann and Reynn, twins who have lost their memories of Grymoire and what their role was in the world. They both posses a mysterious
power in their arms that allows them to summon an armoured gauntlet and use fantastic powers.

e5CZVv4.png
t4508UZ.png

Since they are not inhabitants of Grymoire they can still retain their human-like appearance but they are able to chibify themselves at will if they want to (except during combat).

cmnYfE7.png
b4vXKIi.png

WOfPF17.png

Creatures and characters in the world of Grymoire are called Mirages. Lann and Reynn can interact with them either through dialogue (character Mirages) or combat (feral or
generally hostile Mirages). When they enter combat our protagonists can capture them (imprism them) and use them as either mounts, travel companions or combat partners.

JFlMnEw.png

There are many Mirages in the world of Grymoire and as they participate in combat they gain experience and can even transform into more powerful Mirages. A simple example
would be a Chocobo chick turning into an adult Chocobo.

Pc7g0RA.png

pCKO6QA.png

In World of Final Fantasy you control both main characters at the same time during combat and you can switch between them as you travel the world of Grimoire. Just like
previous Final Fantasy games the game features an open world gameplay with random and scripted combat encounters.

When outside of combat you can play as either Lann or Reynn as you look for treasures, travel across famous locations from the previous Final Fantasy games, take in the
sights, ride all manner of creatures including the staple of the series, the Chocobo, and interact with all manner of NPCs new and old.

8Lm6dNW.png

During combat the player controls both characters at the same time but with an interesting twist. Both Lann and Reynn work with their own team of mirages that they stack
on top of each other to enhance each other's abilities. As a team they share HP (health points), AP (used for skills and spells) and turn order.

The stacking system is very simple. Each team consists of a small (S), medium (M) and large (L) character. In their normal form both Reynn and Lann occupy the large slot,
so they can put on top of themselves one medium and one small Mirage.

5KzXIzN.png

In their chibi forms Reynn and Lann occupy the medium slot so they can ride one large Mirage and then put one small Mirage on top of themselves.

AbOd2mZ.png

The options allow players to use either turn based, semi-active, or active combat system. Generally speaking the flow of the combat is dictated by the speed of individual
stacks or characters and the fastest ones go first. Order of battle is indicated by a bar on the left side of the screen that shows when the characters will be able to act.

When a PC's character turn comes the player is presented with either a classic Final Fantasy menu or a more streamlined version of it which will allow players to pick their
actions such as attack, use magic or an item, flee from combat, defend, summon legendary characters for exceptionally powerful attacks and imprism Mirages.

yP4Nv3g.png

If a stack takes too much "topple damage" the stack will fall, characters will lose their team benefits and will become much more vulnerable since they aren't sharing HP
and AP anymore. On the other hand they now act individually so there might be situations when unstacking is advantageous. During their turn they can choose to stack
up again and use all the advantages they had previously.

Imprisming Mirages requires specific conditions to be met, some need to be weakened, others need to be healed, some need to be toppled from their stack or will require
some other conditions most of which can be discovered using the Libra spell. Once the imprism spell is cast an energy ball flies towards the Mirage and attempts to
capture it. However, the spell is not always successful and may require multiple tries before the Mirage is captured.

Once a Mirage is captured it can either be put into a storage system or placed into active reserves. The advantage of having a Mirage in active reserves means it will gain
XP even if it doesn't participate in combat, Mirages in storage do not gain combat experience.

Reynn and Lann can have up to 4 builds made up of Mirages kept in active reserves, two for each character and then one for each size. Before they enter combat Reynn
and Lann can individually change their size to employ individual active builds.

oSDqKHY.png

• The game features both English and Japanese dub as free DLC
  • Here are the options that are available in the game.
y2RQwb6.png

• Many voice actors have returned to reprise their roles such as Ali Hillis as Lightning, Troy Baker as Snow Villiers, Heather Elizabeth Burress as Yuna or Ariel Winter as
    the voice of Moogles.
  • A demo is available for download on the Playstation Store
  • Release dates are as follow:
    United States of America 25.10.2016
    Japan: 27.10.2016
    Europe: 29.10.2016
  • A couple of guest characters have been confirmed as Mirages, specifically from Xenogears and Einhander
  • Official web site

This thread has been approved by More_Badass: "Hey, looks good to me"

Now go out there, buy the game and enjoy your time in the magical world of Grymoire :)

LPMxh6E.png

Hubb

Yeah I was way too optimistic about the DoA PC port, let alone all their PC ports. I was excited when they started bringing over almost all their titles, but as of now I just opt for the console version.

It's too bad because I would prefer to play on PC.

ShinMaruku

There was plenty forewarning. That is not a market that Tecmo Koei has any large stake in. DO NOT BUY PC PORTS FROM THEM. If you want to play their games go on consoles. It's how it is. There is no worthwhole market for their types of games on pc.

c-murph

There was plenty forewarning. That is not a market that Tecmo Koei has any large stake in. DO NOT BUY PC PORTS FROM THEM. If you want to play their games go on consoles. It's how it is. There is no worthwhole market for their types of games on pc.

Just preordered my copies of DOAX3 for PS4 and Vita. Can't wait for the all the revealing tan lines and bra string wardrobe malfunctions.

Squire

Banned

Yeah, I think it became obvious it was gonna be a garbage port pretty early on.

ShinMaruku

Just preordered my copies of DOAX3 for PS4 and Vita. Can't wait for the all the revealing tan lines and bra string wardrobe malfunctions.

Gud guuuuud. Enjoy the silliness. Far too few games are about fun and silliness and there is far too many self important shit about. :)

Ultimadrago

Yeah I was way too optimistic about the DoA PC port, let alone all their PC ports. I was excited when they started bringing over almost all their titles, but as of now I just opt for the console version.

It's too bad because I would prefer to play on PC.

Pretty much.

Hubb

You say that, but they keep bringing games to PC. So they must think they can cash in somewhat or they wouldn't waste the time to do so. They just don't see enough to actually try.

Yeah, I think it became obvious it was gonna be a garbage port pretty early on.

I think garbage is a bit harsh. The port itself works very well (controllers at least, which is enough for me). It could use more graphic options and of course it would be good to actually have the special effects PS4 and X1 have, but that doesn't break the game. Maybe in due time they'll learn to properly port PS4 titles to PC, and that'll open up future competency. The biggest issue is online and the lack of variety there since when it works, it kinda works well.

I recently played Toukiden: Kiwami on PC and that was great fun, though I did do everything offline. Not the best specs for a PC game, but I'd still take it over not at all (I mean, I have a PS4, but prioritise my PC where possible). That said I was so happy with T:K that I'm getting Toukiden 2 straight away, which will likely be on PS4 then. I'd happily exchange it for a PC version if one came along though.

I'd want KT to get better at PC ports, rather than just churn out okay-ish quality or nothing at all. Maybe they can trust a proper PC porting company to port stuff in the future if they don't care to learn.

Eolz

Yeah, it's not really garbage.
It's just that a really barebones port of the Arcade version, without online for 6+ months and with terrible DLC managements makes it an even bigger disappointement than some of their other mediocre PC ports.

They really should take PC a bit more seriously, like Namco does since many years, Capcom since relatively recently, and many small publishers lately.

Skilletor

I'll take the pristine IQ of the PC version over the PS4 for local play. I'm done buying costumes for this game, so that's not a big deal to me.

It's a shame the way it's been treated, but it serves its purpose for how I play the game these days.

Netcode is ass, anyway, so not like there's much to miss out on other than frustration.

Vade

I'll take the pristine IQ of the PC version over the PS4 for local play. I'm done buying costumes for this game, so that's not a big deal to me.

It's a shame the way it's been treated, but it serves its purpose for how I play the game these days.

Netcode is ass, anyway, so not like there's much to miss out on other than frustration.

It is disappointing how ass the netcode is, you can butter smooth vs a 1 bar person and a slide show vs a 5 bar. There is nothing consistent on the netcode.

mcz117chief

So I noticed (what you all most likely already know) that there is going to be another character added in the early 2016. Has there been any more info about it? Speculations? Hopes and dreams?

I honestly hope it is Yaiba, that guy has style :)

We've had absolutely no info on it. Some speculated it's a girl, but I haven't seen anything suggesting that. Others think Genra or his successor, or Irene/Sonia. Donovan (aka Andy House), perhaps.

As long as it's not a clone of some sort, and not pandering to Japanese loli/schoolgirl fans a la Marie/Honoka, I'm okay.

I thought they were really onto something with Mila, so a girl along the lines of her personality would be cool, or Hitomi's. Muramasa would be humorous.

Hubb

We've had absolutely no info on it. Some speculated it's a girl, but I haven't seen anything suggesting that. Others think Genra or his successor, or Irene/Sonia. Donovan (aka Andy House), perhaps.

As long as it's not a clone of some sort, and not pandering to Japanese loli/schoolgirl fans a la Marie/Honoka, I'm okay.

I thought they were really onto something with Mila, so a girl along the lines of her personality would be cool, or Hitomi's. Muramasa would be humorous.

No thanks, one Hitomi is enough. The only thing I actually like about her character is her RAWR taunt, always makes me laugh.

New character?

Tifa - cause why not, she got lost on her way to Dissidia

Niki/Rio - to connect with DOAX3

Character creator - one last hurrah from KT, letting you create your own fighter.

No thanks, one Hitomi is enough. The only thing I actually like about her character is her RAWR taunt, always makes me laugh.

Hitomi loves her life. I think her and Mila would get along well. Just think it's a shame they brought someone cool like Mila into DOA, then we end up with Marie and Honoka. Although I've got used to them, I want more like Mila going forward.

If we're gonna talk non-Koei property, I'll never stop wishing for Ryo Hazuki. The suggestions in the past, the SEGA VF characters... With Shenmue 3 coming, Ryo would be a perfect fit. Defo my #1 wish.

mcz117chief

I really think it could be Yaiba, he is the last main protagonist that is missing in DoA, we already got all the other Ninja Gaiden characters (Ryu, Momiji and Rachel), we got all the old DoA characters back like Ein and Raidou + we got a ton of VF characters. I really think Yaiba has a chance, his improvised and very brutal fighting style could be a nice middle ground between Bayman and Ryu, plus think of all that taunt potential :)

I dunno, Yaiba was so poorly received, I'm not sure they'd ever go back to it or the character. I think Sonia has a much bigger chance (another NG protag).

Rio could be cool from DOAX, as Damon mentioned.

mcz117chief

I dunno, Yaiba was so poorly received, I'm not sure they'd ever go back to it or the character. I think Sonia has a much bigger chance (another NG protag).

Rio could be cool from DOAX, as Damon mentioned.

I thought about Irene too, but she is not a dedicated hand to hand fighter, the only times she appears fighting is with guns so not sure if she would fit properly.

Rio doesn't seem like a very likely candidate either, she is just a hostess with interest in flower arranging. All the other characters are either fighters or at least their hobby is somehow linked with martial arts. But I guess they can always shoehorn her a story about being a pro fighter.

It is very possible that we will get a new character that might play a prominent role in the future games.

Kuksune

My wish for the new character would be that it's an older person kinda like Gen Fu's age or something.

But realisticly it's defo gonna be a girl with with huge mammaries. But i wouldn't mind to be pleasantly surprised if they did a character we wouldn't see coming from TN.

I think Sonia also resembles Rachel too much, so probably wouldn't make it in unless as a clone-type.

Rio defo is less likely, really, but they could probably work something out. Honoka doesn't look like a fighter at all, either, and she is just basically a clone of everyone, but if they can make a schoolgirl fight, they could make Rio. Still, doubtful.

I would prefer an all-new character.

My wish for the new character would be that it's an older person kinda like Gen Fu's age or something.
Muramasa!

mcz117chief

But realisticly it's defo gonna be a girl with with huge mammaries. But i wouldn't mind to be pleasantly surprised if they did a character we wouldn't see coming from TN.

I would be kinda of bummed out if it were another girl. At this point it seems like TN are only riding on fans who like girls with big assets, I mean, I don't mind girls I like them very much but I would like some psycho to join the ranks of DoA characters, not like Raidou (I don't like rapists) but some crazy dude, like Yaiba.
pls be it Yaiba

Muramasa!

Muramasa is basically Gen Fu though, I like him and his one action scene was a big surprise for me but people wouldn't be interested in him very much. New character is the safest bet I guess.

Hubb

If they are pulling anyone from Yaiba it is Miss Monday, they gotta milk the DLC machine. Going on their past releases it seems pretty obvious that women sell more than men. Now if they don't intend to release any DLC after this last character, it could be anyone. If they do, it is going to be a woman.

Rio defo is less likely, really, but they could probably work something out. Honoka doesn't look like a fighter at all, either, and she is just basically a clone of everyone, but if they can make a schoolgirl fight, they could make Rio. Still, doubtful.

When I think of a possible Rio fighting style, i just think of a female Gambit. Throw dem cards!

My inner Dead Fantasy desire wants it to be Tifa though. Her power blow can even have imaginary dolphins randomly appear out of nowhere and slap people silly. It just works. It'll be a huge announcement that would draw people into the game too, I'd say bigger than the recent Cloud one. Then, everyone can beg for her to be in X3, to which we get character dlc...

I kinda don't want an all new 'important' character, since we won't get any proper story attached to the character.

That's the only frustrating thing about all these new characters; no new story chapters to tie them into the arc. We just gotta deduce from their bios and taglines how they fit in. Looking forward to Marie taking down DOATEC and Andy House's reveal.

Eolz

It won't be Yaiba/Miss Monday, too poorly received.
Won't be a male character, doesn't sell.
Don't think it'll be another clone character (at least not like Honoka, might reuse old movesets like they did with Rachel and Nyotengu) since they're spending time on it.
Might be Irene/Sonia, there's been some demand in the past, but I think they've teased a brand new one.

Don't think it'll be radically different too, they're keeping those for DOA6 launch (along with male characters).
Who knows, but yeah, hope it's something a bit original.

mcz117chief

That's the only frustrating thing about all these new characters; no new story chapters to tie them into the arc. We just gotta deduce from their bios and taglines how they fit in. Looking forward to Marie taking down DOATEC and Andy House's reveal.

I am waiting to see if Honoko is another legitimate/illegitimate daughter of Raidou or merely some test lab freak that got made during Raidou's revival.

mcz117chief

But, we all know it'll be about NyoTengu getting serious and moving off bottom tier and whooping Ryu around Japan, with Ayane brainwashed by her side...

no, not my pal Ryu :(

The actual story will be that he is going to pretend he is getting whooped only to see what her real plan is and then he is going to wreck her ultimate ninja style :p

ShinMaruku

Lady Kstoute is not bottom tier she's probably B. She has great damage and great moves, you just need to be able to read people.

Eolz

Only bottom tier in the game is Eliott, and even then, good players do good stuff with him.
I thought people knew by now that DOA5 is actually really balanced in terms of tier lists. Bottom tier in DOA isn't the same as bottom tier in SF for example.

mcz117chief

Only bottom tier in the game is Eliott, and even then, good players do good stuff with him.
I thought people knew by now that DOA5 is actually really balanced in terms of tier lists. Bottom tier in DOA isn't the same as bottom tier in SF for example.

Which characters are considered to be the top? I always thought Ryu is the most powerful since his combos are so insanely hard to pull off but I was told he isn't. So who actually is in the top 5 or top 10?

ShinMaruku

Indeed indeed. DOA is one of the games where the best characters don't always have the top placing just due to how well balanced it is.

ShinMaruku

Which characters are considered to be the top? I always thought Ryu is the most powerful since his combos are so insanely hard to pull off but I was told he isn't. So who actually is in the top 5 or top 10?

Top 5 is easy: Ayane,Gen Fu Christie,Lei Fang Helena and Misty

Top 5 is also a real mess because 2 of them by all accounts would be the best but they are difficult as hell to get down.

mcz117chief

Top 5 is easy: Ayane,Gen Fu Christie,Lei Fang Helena and Misty

Top 5 is also a real mess because 2 of them by all accounts would be the best but they are difficult as hell to get down.

That is six not five :p (just teasing you, man)

It's funny, when we speak during the time we play you always say "Kasumi and Nyotengu" but on GAF you say "Kstoute and Misty". I can understand Misty but Kstoute really eludes me. Care to elaborate, pretty please with sugar on top?

Emphasising how hard it is to rank them, Shin's top 5 contains six characters lol

How high are Ryu and Mila? They are part of my go-to trio so I hope they don't scrape the bottom of the barrel.

I mean, I'm with the others that there really isn't a solid tier list; it's a brilliantly balanced roster, where anyone can win, which makes it so fun. I do think Ryu's good; I think MASTER uses him a lot. Don't see too many Milas, but I personally think she's pretty strong if you have her down. A few mix ups in her game. I like her and wish there were more players of her.

ShinMaruku

Only thing really solid is Ayane,Gen Fu,Christie and Helena. Those are above most characters. However if Momiji gets a few small changes she will be among them easily.

mcz117chief

Only thing really solid is Ayane,Gen Fu,Christie and Helena. Those are above most characters. However if Momiji gets a few small changes she will be among them easily.

C'mon Shin, don't evade the question. Why do you call the two ladies like that (Kstoute and Misty)? It has been gnawing at my mind for days now, stop torturing me!

Don't tase me bro, PLEASE!

Eolz

Akira and Sarah are higher tier than Leifang and Kasumi, arguably same level as Helena too.
S-tier is Christie + Gen-Fu, Ayane pretty close indeed but top A tier.
Ryu is mid tier but higher than Nyotengu and most other B-tiers. I'd put Mila as B too but hard to place her.

Again, don't worry too much about tiers in DOA.

Top Bottom