• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5: Last Round |OT| Bouncing on new systems.

Just reading some Wiki stuff on Kasumi, DOA etc, and found this quote from Itagaki, about the more realistic design of Kasumi in DOA5:

Itagaki, who has left Team Ninja in 2008, said in 2014: "Straightly speakin’, my daughter was totally ruined, spoiled. I can’t/shouldn’t avert my eyes from that fact. Many DOA fans here are crying, I will do something for DOA after I finished Devil's Third."

He is so full of shit it makes me laugh. Does anyone know what he's on about with "doing something for DOA"? How can he do anything for the series if he's got no official ties to it at all now? Even if he made is own spiritual successor, it wouldn't be "for DOA" since it would be its own thing.

He gave - and still gives - so much shit about DOA5, but look how his game turned out after leaving Tecmo. I think we all know what the more successful game is.

ShinMaruku

I think 90% of the love is from Ninja Gaiden Black which is just one game. Man was always full of shit. Hayashi may have some odd ideas but that man is atlease straight up and is a troll.

Pachimari

Saw that Christie match, and Kasumi made one hell of an end to the third round - are there power moves or something that involves the backgrounds?

[edit]
I literally just bought this game. Of past games, I have played Dead or Alive, Dead or Alive 2, Dead or Alive 3, Dead or Alive: Dimensions and Dead or Alive 4 - though nothing serious.

This time, I would really like to learn the basics, and then the more advanced stuff, so I hope some of you veterans can lend me a hand to get the hang of the systems. :)

I should have the game around December 10-16.

As long as I don't shit myself and hold the button too long, the Power Blow has saved me many times lol

Madridista - yeah, when you are below 50% health, you can use a single Power Blow or Power Launcher. Power Blows are what you saw in the Christie match - single powerful moves that can interact with certain areas of some stages to do extra damage. Power Launchers launch your opponent high, so you can get a serious juggle going.

mcz117chief

People seem to love him and I just can't understand it. I'm just happy he wasn't a part of DoA5.

yeah, every time Itagaki is mentioned on GAF it is a non stop circlejerk about how awesome he is and how terrible Hayashi is and saying anything different in those threads is a suicide.

I like Hayashi, he is such a fun guy and I really like what he has done so far. At least here I can say what I really think without risking a ban.

ShinMaruku

I don't think they'd ban you for saying he's a bellend. Plenty people call him a sack of shit. XD

Power launchers are awesome if you have a combo going, fr example I have a 200+ damage juggle with power launcher:

mcz117chief

Yeah, I called him a rapist prick once, and still survived. Pissed off a lot of people in the process tho. But I have a trash mouth.

Well, I got my first ban for not liking Cortez in Mass Effect 3 and everybody took it as some kind of proof that I hate gay people so I am super careful about what I say nowadays.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Complete newcomer to the game and only a recent PS4 owner, so I have a question re: the costume dlc.

I grabbed the free costume catalog downloads and bought a handful of Nyotengu costumes (Halloween, Deception, schoolgirl strikers, etc) but none of them show up in the game. I've restarted the game a couple of times, looked for something saying they're only accessible in particular modes or whatever, but there's no info at all on how to get the costumes once they're downloaded. There isn't even a "locked" spot in her costume roster for the specific ones I bought, so obviously I'm missing some kind of activation for this stuff. Anyone want to help me out here?

LegendX48

Complete newcomer to the game and only a recent PS4 owner, so I have a question re: the costume dlc.

I grabbed the free costume catalog downloads and bought a handful of Nyotengu costumes (Halloween, Deception, schoolgirl strikers, etc) but none of them show up in the game. I've restarted the game a couple of times, looked for something saying they're only accessible in particular modes or whatever, but there's no info at all on how to get the costumes once they're downloaded. There isn't even a "locked" spot in her costume roster for the specific ones I bought, so obviously I'm missing some kind of activation for this stuff. Anyone want to help me out here?

That's odd. I don't quite know exactly but make sure that you downloaded all of the catalogs. iirc, for the costumes I bought I just had to grab the catalog(s) and then buy the costume.

on the other hand, did you unlock all the costumes in game yet? Go to options and then press and hold L1+L2+R1+R2 and you should hear a sound

Hubb

You have all 3 of these bought and downloaded? I know you said you reset the game, but once the catalogs are download/installed you need to reset the game or it won't recognize that you've actually installed the catalogs.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...lr10/cid=UP4108-CUSA01665_00-CATALOGDUMMY0100

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...lr18/cid=UP4108-CUSA01665_00-CATALOGSEASON241

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...lr19/cid=UP4108-CUSA01665_00-CATALOGSEASON250

To test it just go into training and select Nyo and scroll up, since these were the most recent costumes released you should see them (instead of scrolling down through everything).

Pachimari

So how does this work? I hear it's like a scissor-paper-stone system, does that mean, that I have to have quick reflexes in order to see what kind of attack is coming at me?

I plan on using Momiji. Is she hard for a beginner?

Hubb

So how does this work? I hear it's like a scissor-paper-stone system, does that mean, that I have to have quick reflexes in order to see what kind of attack is coming at me?

I plan on using Momiji. Is she hard for a beginner?

Holds are the only real hard thing for a beginner, mostly because they are easily punishable when playing against someone who knows what they are doing AND you aren't used to everyones attacks/movesets.

Basically if someone is trying to throw you, a punch will beat it. If someone is trying to punch you, a hold will beat it. If someone is trying to hold you, a throw will beat it.

Paper > Rock > Sisors > Paper

Punches > Throws > Holds > Punches

Starting out blocking is much better than trying to hold. Some moves are tricky and aren't considered a "high" attack even when it looks likes someone is attacking high. If you are constantly trying to hold everything you will get punished and destroyed.

Once you get a feel for some characters/people you are playing against, you can notice a pattern and try to hold.

I think Momiji is fine for starting out with, no one is really that bad/hard to learn.

Wait, wth? You can easily unlock costumes? smh

They fucked up Xbox saves/transfer data with LR so they gave them an easy option to unlock everything. I believe a bunch of people wanted it on PS4 too so they patched it in at some point. It wasn't always like that.

Ok so I am confused. I had the free to play version of DOA5 Ultimate on PS3. I bought a character on it, then later on, I bought the full game digitally and got all the characters and stuff that goes along with that. Then when Last Round Core Fighterscame out on PS3 I transferred over and I had all the characters and dlc I bought transferred over and all was good. I got a PS4 and got Core Fighters on it and expected all my Ultimate characters to go over, but only the one character I bought separately before I bought the full Ultimate came over. Everyone else is locked. Is it not possible to transfer this way?

Hubb

If I am understanding you right, no it is not possible to transfer things over that way. You can take a shot at sending a support ticket or email to TN and see if they'll help you out, but it isn't suppose to work that way.

DOAU is technically a different game than LR so when you bought the full game digitally, you only bought DOAU, not each DLC individually. Now that LR is out you gotta fork over your cash like everyone else. Specific DLC things you bought carry over, but that is it.

Best bet is to play the f2p version until you can find the PS4 version cheap (was able to find it for $10 used, which was cheap enough for me).

mcz117chief

When are they showing the new character again?

alfred-nevah.gif

I think they said they will realease it early 2016, so probably in a month or so

Spring 2016 the new character is out. Given DOA5LR and DOAX3 were "Spring" games and both came/come out in February, it could be out then, or around March.

Eolz

I'm thinking March as well.
It's really possible they reveal it as someone in DOAX3.

After all, Honoka was revealed about a month before LR.

Hubb

I'm guessing there is a strong possibility that if the new character isn't announced as part of the launch cast, it'll be added shortly after/first DLC. They are theoretically working on this character alongside X3 and doing all the model work now. You'd think they'd do it in a way that it is extremely easy to transition the character from LR to X3.

The only way it doesn't happen is if the new character is met with a ton of hate for whatever reason. Or they throw a curve ball and release a guy.

Kuksune

I'm guessing there is a strong possibility that if the new character isn't announced as part of the launch cast, it'll be added shortly after/first DLC. They are theoretically working on this character alongside X3 and doing all the model work now. You'd think they'd do it in a way that it is extremely easy to transition the character from LR to X3.

The only way it doesn't happen is if the new character is met with a ton of hate for whatever reason. Or they throw a curve ball and release a guy.

I'm hoping for this to happen, we have so many girls now in DOA. It's time for some testosterone!

But i know that they will release a girl since they sell better...
Beacause of boobaroos.

Hubb

They did themselves no favors releasing, Raidou. They could have made someone "cooler" or at least eye candy for people interested. I'm sure there are some people who like Raidou, but I can't believe many people bought him or DLC for him.

If they don't release guys that are going to sell they are going to keep coming up with data that says guys don't sell.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
That's odd. I don't quite know exactly but make sure that you downloaded all of the catalogs. iirc, for the costumes I bought I just had to grab the catalog(s) and then buy the costume.
You have all 3 of these bought and downloaded? I know you said you reset the game, but once the catalogs are download/installed you need to reset the game or it won't recognize that you've actually installed the catalogs.

I downloaded all the catalogs just to be safe, hah. Still couldn't get anything new to show up until I fully restarted the PS4, but it looks like what I paid for is in the game now.

And thanks for the full unlock trick, Legend!

After seeing how unbalanced other fighters (namely MKX and SFV) are towards males, I kinda want more females in DOA. I'm surprised at how close to 50-50 it is right now.

But yea, the fact that it's releasing close to DOAX3 has to be related.

Edit: Also, that costume unlock doesn't work for PC.... *&%$^&*

Pachimari

Woah I didn't know about Raidou. I guess he were added with Last Round, and I have just been sleeping under a rock. He doesn't look that cool though.

Chastten

Banned
So, just started this game on Steam after having not played it since... summer, I think? Before the online was implemented, in any case.

Noticed two things...

all my progress is deleted, no outfits, no scores, no nothing.

Apparently I got some DLC for free, but it doesn't state so in my games list. We got the pre-order bonus bikini's and the halloween 2013 set because of the delay. Apparently I now also have more bikini's, the christmas set, some sports wear and more.

Anyone know? Was this some kind of reward for the delayed online or something?

ShinMaruku

They did themselves no favors releasing, Raidou. They could have made someone "cooler" or at least eye candy for people interested. I'm sure there are some people who like Raidou, but I can't believe many people bought him or DLC for him.

If they don't release guys that are going to sell they are going to keep coming up with data that says guys don't sell.

Raidou has a decent fanbase among the community. Also he adds to the Dad in Fighting Game trope. Both of his little ones are in and that can give good story fodder.

Hubb

Raidou has a decent fanbase among the community. Also he adds to the Dad in Fighting Game trope. Both of his little ones are in and that can give good story fodder.

You are going to have to quantify "decent". I don't know everything about the community or even a lot about it, but his release and everything since them has been a huge "meh" as far as I've seen. From the story side of things it can make sense, but I'm sure they could have come up with another male fighter that would have been more popular.

ShinMaruku

He's played in decent numbers in the locals and some tourneis and the story potential is massive. Keep in mind he's the catalyst of this whole story.

I wish he stayed dead, personally. I'm not a fan of bringing back dead people in any game, but I guess it's fan service for the DOA1 fans more than anything. I know it's a fighting game first and foremost, but I want the story in DOA to move on from the same shit. The Kasumi-Ayane in-fighting is boring now and I hope DOA5's ending showed that's the end of that, but if it's gonna go back to Kasumi having to fight and kill Raidou again, it's just like, ugh, what was the point in killing him the first time round? Don't mind if they just stay as non-canon characters for fan service, but I hope they don't make him a big part of the story again. He doesn't even know who he is any more.

Synth

I wish he stayed dead, personally. I'm not a fan of bringing back dead people in any game, but I guess it's fan service for the DOA1 fans more than anything. I know it's a fighting game first and foremost, but I want the story in DOA to move on from the same shit. The Kasumi-Ayane in-fighting is boring now and I hope DOA5's ending showed that's the end of that, but if it's gonna go back to Kasumi having to fight and kill Raidou again, it's just like, ugh, what was the point in killing him the first time round? Don't mind if they just stay as non-canon characters for fan service, but I hope they don't make him a big part of the story again. He doesn't even know who he is any more.

DoA1 fan here. I wish they kept him dead too. He was good for backstory... not current story.

Is he even part of the story? DoA characters being back doesn't mean anything to the story. Ein is still around, afterall.

True. Hopefully this is the case.

Is he even part of the story? DoA characters being back doesn't mean anything to the story. Ein is still around, afterall.

It's the 'relationship' he seems to have with Honoka that makes me wonder if he'll be prominent in the story. She has the same red glow in her fist that Raidou has, so her backstory could be related to him - experiments or she's one of his lost daughters and therefore related to Kasumi and Ayane. I hope it amounts to nothing - they could still give no part to Raidou in the story, even with Honoka being related to him or receiving the powers he has.

fighting games really need to stop trying to force characters back into the story so they are playable.

guilty gear got it right with Justice. They made her playable but her story is just prequel

Totally. I mean, like mentioned above, Ein is still in the game, but not the story. We don't need to worm Raidou in. I mean, why bring him back as a cyborg without his memories if they weren't trying to tie him into the story somehow? Just bring him back in his original design etc, playing no part in the story.

ShinMaruku

The best utility that Raidou has is you can watch him slap the shit outta his Nephew and then laugh at his two daughters.

Honoka and Ayane are his daughters, red eyes they are silly huge honkers, they all know each other instinctively.

It's just a guess based on her having the same powers as him more than anything. Red eyes like Ayane, as Shin said, I guess. She coulda been grown in a lab and given Raidou's powers too, tho - who knows lol.

Top Bottom