• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5: Last Round |OT| Bouncing on new systems.

Eolz

Plus the fact that she's only talking about her grandma like she has no parents, her having a tag team with Ayane, being able to copy powers/moves from seeing them like Raidou (not even counting the red mist)...
Pretty sure she's one of Raidou's illegitimate daughters, and thus, Ayane's half-sister.
Seems that big boobs come from Raidou's side of the family since Kasumi is smaller than both on this side.

ShinMaruku

She's Raidou's oldest daughter, she is raised by her kind grandmother. She has Taidou's ability to copy moves after seeing them. She also feels deep kinship with Ayane and Raidou's.

Eolz

I wouldn't call her looking at Raidou and basically saying "who the hell are you" deep kinship :p.
But yeah, there's a reason she has a tag team with him and Ayane. For all you know, Ayane is actually checking on her when she has some time off.

Eolz

XD Kasumi's bosom isn't large now? I would still get lost in them.

Where is the grandma reference from Honoka btw? Not sure I've seen.

It's large, but on the DOA scale it's closer to the middle :p
Grandma stuff is on the official website (characters description), and she's again saying that in her DOAX3 intro.
It's the only story stuff we have on her really, like Nyotengu being bored and wanting to know more about Hayabusa, or Marie being more than a simple servant.

ShinMaruku

Honoka does as a term my family uses, she smells her blood (Know they are family) from her sister and dad, not quite knowing that she is a princess of the Magen the shin clan, but she knows something from them. From the story perspective Ayane knows the most since her life was dictated by her father and she knows it all.

Erigu

She's Raidou's oldest daughter
Honoka does as a term my family uses, she smells her blood (Know they are family) from her sister and dad, not quite knowing that she is a princess of the Magen the shin clan, but she knows something from them.
You're making it sound like that was confirmed, but I'm pretty sure it's just a (well-supported) hypothesis, at this point, like Azuardo said.

I'll only side with it once it's confirmed. It's fine and fun to speculate, and there are hints to it, but there could still be other reasons she is so similar to Raidou. Besides, Honoka has exactly the same face as Marie - remember when she was first revealed and we moaned about that? If anything, she could be Marie's long lost sister lol.

Korigama

fighting games really need to stop trying to force characters back into the story so they are playable.

guilty gear got it right with Justice. They made her playable but her story is just prequel
Well...

(GGXrd -SIGN- story SPOILERS)
Xrd -SIGN-'s story was focused upon reviving Justice, and that is indeed what happened. Granted, I have no idea why she's 50ft tall and looks like a mass-produced EVA unit now.

Hubb

You're making it sound like that was confirmed, but I'm pretty sure it's just a (well-supported) hypothesis, at this point, like Azuardo said.

That's how Shin talks about a lot of games, the more you see him post the more you'll get used to it. If you didn't know his style or who he was you could easily mistake him for being part of a dev/pr team.

Pachimari

Okay, I just tried starting it up, and I'm love what I'm playing so far. I understand there's a block, throw, kick and punch button, but the shoulder buttons are just the same right?

Anyway, any beginner tips?

- How do I unlock all of the costumes? There's only a few for each character.

I'm currently playing Story mode, and can't remember what happened in DOA4, but it's cool to see it all unfold. The stages also have my favorite themes, like jungle, beach and snow. Reminds me a little of Tekken 4, which is good!

Eolz

Shoulder buttons are shortcuts for button combinations basically. If I remember well:
L2 is taunt, L1 is P+K, R1 is tag/H+P+K, R2 is H+K.
Fastest way to unlock costumes is tag time attack on easy or easiest (unless the unlock all costumes cheat is also on X1/PS4).

Beginner tips: game is pretty balanced, so don't worry about tier lists, and pick 2-3 characters you like/feel comfortable with. Do the command trainings, and the tutorial is really well made. Don't try to hold every move. Side-step can be useful, but only if you see what the opponent is going to do. Try to remember the strengths/weaknesses of characters (good at throws, holds, fast, best range, etc).

You'll get some good advices if you already know which characters you're focusing on, and join the lobbies if you're on ps4 when you feel comfortable enough :p

Yeah, just do the cheat combination to unlock the costumes if you don't wanna hammer tag time attack - press all four shoulder buttons on options menu.

I personally switch L1 and R1 around so that P+K is on R1. I prefer to have my right hand hitting all the inputs, with left hand focusing only on moving the character (and taunting).

Pachimari

So far I like Lisa and Rig, but I'm gonna main Momiji I think. Oh well, just woke up, gonna see if I can unlock all of the costumes with that trick you told me about.

Seriously, this game is much more fun than I thought it would be. Unfortunately my girlfriend beat me 6-0, because I don't know how to stop the same attack she spams all of the time. I don't know when to use block or when to use throw etc. I think I were told about the scissor-stone-paper system earlier in the thread - I'll see if I can find it.

[edit]
So I guess, Punches beat Throws, Throws beat Holds, Holds beat Punches but what about Kicks?

Hubb

Kicks are considered punches in the triangle system. If someone is doing the same move over and over again, get used to the windup animation and as you as you see that windup animation throw out the proper hold for it (high/low/mid/midkick).

It takes a few tries to get the timing down, but once you do and you can recognize the move you should be able to hold it most of the time.

It should do.

From official DOA5LR site:
You can now use a command to unlock costumes (for characters except for Honoka and Raidou), Story Mode progress, movies, system voices, music, and the OMG breast motion setting.

Go to Options and input L1 + R1 + L2 + R2 at the same time, and a sound will play to confirm that the unlock was successful.

In DOA5LR: Core Fighters, music will not be unlocked with this command. Movies and progress from Story Mode will not be unlocked unless the Story Mode DLC has been purchased.

Pachimari

Hmm, it does save when I do it, and I do have the OMG option for breast physics, but all of the costumes are unlocked. Is it because they need to be bought from the PlayStation Store?

DLC costumes obviously won't unlock. Everything unlockable from playing the game should be unlocked with that code, though.

Make sure to download all of the costume catalogs in the Store so that you can visibly see the DLC costumes when worn by online opponents.

Pachimari

There's a lot of costumes which are unavailable on the Store. I wonder if it's because those costumes are already unlocked in Last Round but not in Core Fighters.

Costume Catalogs? I can't find them, I assume they are free.

[edit]
I found the catalogs. There's 6 of them. I take it these are not just so that I can see my online opponents wear them, but also for me to wear.

Yeah - if you buy an DLC, you will need the catalogs to use them yourself. I think there are more than 6 now, though - about 14?

Yeah, there are 'unavailable' ones in the Store. When I transferred my 5U DLC to LR, I could download many of those.

ArjanN

Front high, front mid, front low, back high, back mid, back low.

It's hellish.

I was going through the tutorial on PC, and that was a bit of a twist, I vaguely remembered it being just a high/low thing in older games. Maybe this is just me being a noob, but it kinda seems like there's too many categories to make the countering worth the risk.

With 3 points of hold in older games, it was easier for people to just spam holds and get away with it, even countering a lot of launchers. With a 4-point system, players can put more effort into their combos without fear of getting held most of the time. Now, those on the defensive have to be a lot more mindful of their opponents' moves and learn to read them and their animations before risking a hold. Holding is a risk. People shouldn't be able to spam holds and get away with it, I feel, which is what would happen in a 3-point system. You can make arguments for either and adjusting the game accordingly to best suit each, but I personally prefer 4-point.

Caineghis

Neo Member
I dont know if anyone can help me with this, but im trying to play DOA online and im getting always the message that an oponent has not been found, im from south america.

I cant find anyone in ranked or in lobbies, is like the game wont connect, i have NAT 2 and its the only game where im having this problem, i spend most day playing R6: Siege without issues on the matchmaking so i dont know what could it be.

I dont know if anyone can help me with this, but im trying to play DOA online and im getting always the message that an oponent has not been found, im from south america.

I cant find anyone in ranked or in lobbies, is like the game wont connect, i have NAT 2 and its the only game where im having this problem, i spend most day playing R6: Siege without issues on the matchmaking so i dont know what could it be.

Obvious thing to say would be to not limit your search priorities - make sure any region, any rank can be fought, etc. Then, just play training or versus or arcade or something, with Throwdowns set to on. Opponents will pop up on the bottom right when found, and you can hit the touchpad button (or hold options) to accept the fight. This is usually the best way to find opponents. Very odd you're not finding any lobbies at all, though. Always open lobbies when I search.

Pachimari

More than I remembered

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-gb/search/f=^catalog|bucket~games%3Aplatform~ps4|

Alright that's a lot. Downloaded them all. Thanks! I'll spend my time in the tutorial today.

[edit]
Heh. I got 2 wins and 0 losses online, nice start. But I can't find any matches anymore, even if I set region to all. It's a NAT2 type connection.

Kuksune

Alright that's a lot. Downloaded them all. Thanks! I'll spend my time in the tutorial today.

[edit]
Heh. I got 2 wins and 0 losses online, nice start. But I can't find any matches anymore, even if I set region to all. It's a NAT2 type connection.
Where do you live? I'm EU myself :)

ArjanN

With 3 points of hold in older games, it was easier for people to just spam holds and get away with it, even countering a lot of launchers. With a 4-point system, players can put more effort into their combos without fear of getting held most of the time. Now, those on the defensive have to be a lot more mindful of their opponents' moves and learn to read them and their animations before risking a hold. Holding is a risk. People shouldn't be able to spam holds and get away with it, I feel, which is what would happen in a 3-point system. You can make arguments for either and adjusting the game accordingly to best suit each, but I personally prefer 4-point.

Well, they could also add risk in making the timing of the counter tighter, or give it more recovery or something, which is how most fighting games seem to handle it. That said, I'll admit I never played these games above a button mashing level and don't really know how it balances out. Just that at first blush it seems like a bad bet to make.

Kuksune

Scandinavia sir. You can add me if you want, but you will kick my ass. I'm still not good at countering attacks and using the right buttons when being attacked.
Ah sweet! I'm from sweden so it shouldn't lag at all. I'm willing to coach you a little bit, atleast so you can do country-holds and what to look out for and stuff. :)

Pachimari

Ah sweet! I'm from sweden so it shouldn't lag at all. I'm willing to coach you a little bit, atleast so you can do country-holds and what to look out for and stuff. :)
I would love that! If you can help me out a little. At least so I can beat my girlfriend lol. I sent you a PM.

Well, they could also add risk in making the timing of the counter tighter, or give it more recovery or something, which is how most fighting games seem to handle it. That said, I'll admit I never played these games above a button mashing level and don't really know how it balances out. Just that at first blush it seems like a bad bet to make.

Amazingly, holds were less risky in DOA 4. Right now I like how they are in DOA 5, it's more for reacting to slow moves and anticipating repetitive play. Recovery is longer than in DOA 4 and if you get thrown/hit, you receive greater damage, than if you were doing nothing. Plus, blocking is always an option. I think a 6-point hold system is overkill, 4 is just right, mostly because there are a lot of mid-moves. Plus, it then allows uniquenes for certain characters to have extra holds.

A couple of things I'd personally like added are high moves that beat low holds somehow (if I remember right, like in MKX) and more guard break options. Maybe those throws that can beat punches (I forget what they are called, offensive hold was it?) beat even their activation stage (but I'm biased to Tina, so...).

Caineghis

Neo Member
Obvious thing to say would be to not limit your search priorities - make sure any region, any rank can be fought, etc. Then, just play training or versus or arcade or something, with Throwdowns set to on. Opponents will pop up on the bottom right when found, and you can hit the touchpad button (or hold options) to accept the fight. This is usually the best way to find opponents. Very odd you're not finding any lobbies at all, though. Always open lobbies when I search.

Everything you said i've done it, any region, any type of connection and the Throwdowns too, but i can be online for an hour and i havent had a fight ever since i bought the game, i still dont know what could be

ShinMaruku

Soon
12317470_1694256504121716_477382578_n.jpg

Eolz

Nice matches as usual in those tournaments. Always some good stuff to pick up.

And yeah, I think they went for the right compromise with holds in DOA5. 4-way is not too deep, nor too simple, and the window is just right.

Better pic
c04_stil_02.jpg

I really wonder how VR will work. Separate mode like the Kiss part in Estival Versus? First person character (a girl)? First person Zack?

Top Bottom