• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5: Last Round |OT| Bouncing on new systems.

raven777

Tatsunoko collaboration
567E2B6D4C07B50012

567E2B6F4C7563001E

567E2B9C4B0C290008

Also Sengoku Musou collabo on march
567E2BFE4D619F000F

seems like it could actually be a new character(Ii Naotora), not just costume?

Eolz

Lol, those Tatsunoko costumes, knew it for Doronjo!
Really hope it's not the new character for the teaser, but I don't think it is. Too soon to tease it if you look at how previous characters were unveiled.

Eolz

Seeing the video in the other thread just confirms it's a "new" character indeed, and not just a costume. Disappointing, was looking forward for an original character.

ShinMaruku

We are not sure it's a character, although Hayashi does look like he likes her so who knows. Can't jump to conclusions.

The pose is 100% Misty though.

Why is she using a Kasumi-like pose? Odd.

Musou crossover makes sense. Surprised it hadn't already been done, considering the DOA characters in Warriors Orochi anyway, but is a bit disappointing it's not an original chr.

Is this Ii girl popular in Musou? Is she the most popular girl in that franchise?

ShinMaruku

Why is she using a Kasumi-like pose? Odd.

Musou crossover makes sense. Surprised it hadn't already been done, considering the DOA characters in Warriors Orochi anyway, but is a bit disappointing it's not an original chr.

Is this Ii girl popular in Musou? Is she the most popular girl in that franchise?

She is popularish but the other dames are more popular, it's because she's a striker which adds to DOA.

From Musou wiki:

"Naotora is kind and optimistic but shy. She is habitually apologetic for any mishap she believes to have caused others, which extends into battle in which she constantly apologizes to her opponents while attacking them."

Ugh, she looks like she could have a cool moveset, but I have a feeling her personality and quotes could rub me the wrong way. Hopefully won't sound like Pyrrha in Soul Calibur.

Initial thoughts on new character (caveat being unconfirmed) is kinda 'meh'. I don't know her, so that doesn't help. She doesn't look that much different that what we already have (unlike say Mila!) so that doesn't help either.

I hyped myself up too much for the reveal, so right now I feel flat towards it. Will have to see if a trailer reveal actually makes me change my mind. I didn't buy any DLC character with the original DOA5, until Last Round, and this reveal doesn't really interest me.

loool

Just want to say how much I hate it when you save a replay of a good match, then when you watch it back it's all fucked up because the inputs haven't been registered properly due to lag.

Haha, I remember watching many replays where the AI would spaz out and essentially fill in the gaps in terms of what happened in a match. I'd always get taken aback for a second thinking 'wth was I doing?'.

That's even if it recorded the whole match to begin with.

Do you mean the fight details info, or you mean you only upload the share vids so that it captures exactly how you saw things on your end, and not the potentially fucked up in-game video save?

Hubb

Too early to tell if the costumes are disappointing or not (unless another new teaser has come out that I've missed), I'm hoping they don't phone in the Valentine's day one
they will
, Tatsunoko could be hit or miss depending on character, and I do have high(er) hopes for the SW crossover costumes.

New character I am not sold on. Not who I would have picked from SW, but it doesn't bother me either. The only thing that'll sell me on playing the character or not is her moveset. I hope she is unique and brings something new to mix things up.

Hopefully DoA6 brings 1 or 2 newcomers. I don't need a 60 person cast, I'd be happy with a couple good* newcomers and then spend the rest of the time refining the game.

Eolz

Same Trojita.
@Hubb, I'm sure there will be original characters in 6. They basically said years ago it was the only way for them to introduce male characters too (new releases, since there would be less DLC sales).

Hopefully DoA6 brings 1 or 2 newcomers. I don't need a 60 person cast, I'd be happy with a couple good* newcomers and then spend the rest of the time refining the game.

I'd want more really (although I guess all the new DOA5 DLC characters haven't been given a proper story limelight). I assume the VF characters won't return, but who knows. I worry Mila might not make it.

I doubt they'd bring Mila in with 5, only to remove her in 6. I can't really see why people wouldn't warm to her, especially with her MMA fighting style. She deserves to be in DOA. I'm assuming Western fans like her more than the Japanese. It would be interesting to see how a popularity contest for Westerners would fare compared to the JP one a while back.

Hubb

Unless they are keeping guest characters, I can't see them cutting any of base DoA 5 characters. The only way I see it even having a chance is if they do a major overhaul (engine, visual, gameplay) which I don't see happening. I'm actually more than fine with them getting rid of the VF characters, the only one I'd miss is Sara.

I hope the DLC is on sale in 1 of the 2 upcoming PSN holiday sales left.
It would be nice, but I kind of given up hope that they'll ever have single DLC on sale. Unless they are doing 80% off the season passes, I can't see myself buying anything but single DLC. Are there 2 PSN sales left? I thought there was only 1 more week, or are they going to do another separate one for New Years.

@Hubb, I'm sure there will be original characters in 6. They basically said years ago it was the only way for them to introduce male characters too (new releases, since there would be less DLC sales).

Makes sense, love it or hate it I can definitely see why they stick to women for DLC. I'm part of that problem. I have posted my thoughts on picking the 1 guy they decided to release as DLC so I won't rehash that.

I'd want more really (although I guess all the new DOA5 DLC characters haven't been given a proper story limelight). I assume the VF characters won't return, but who knows. I worry Mila might not make it.

More than 2, or more than 60? I don't need/want a crazy Tekken roster. What I would be happy with is if they go the KI/SF5 model and do year long seasons. I'm happy with the support TN is giving DoA5, and I'd be ecstatic if they adopt a one disc for the lifetime of the game. They can keep the costume DLC rolling and have spaced character releases with updates throughout the year.

I read that as wanting more than 2 newcomers, which I agree with. Would hope for at least 3 newcomers in DOA6, but I think only Mila and Rig were the newcomers in 5, until we got a fair sum with 5U and subsequent DLC.

I think we have a nice roster atm, but if the VF chrs go, they might wanna make up for that with some newcomers (and Ryo Hazuki).

A SF model would be nice. It's not like they don't make cash off the costume DLC, so it would be a more consumer friendly model for them, and I think what SF is doing might pressure others to follow suit, and with good reason. I've only just bought my first costume DLC, and as much as I'd want the season passes, I simply don't use many characters for it to be worth it. I wish they did individual character season passes, because I'd probably buy a Kasumi one to get all of her costumes. Can't imagine that going down well with people, but I think many would buy them if they only main one or two chrs like myself.

Eolz

Same thoughts yeah.
5/U/LR's newcomers will obviously stay there (apart maybe from Raidou, Phase 4 and the guest one?), and they actually could still have VF characters even if VF6 is released, Sega seemed alright with that.

They will definitely watch how it goes for SF with their season pass, but I'm not sure they actually want to follow this model. 2-3 newcomers at launche would be the best number indeed.

Yea, I meant more than 2 newcomers (not crossovers, not guest characters). I definitely dislike games that have massive rosters (though I'm likely getting Naruto UNS 4), but I expect most fighting games to follow the model of base game with handful characters and then added DLC characters. I don't think this sort of method really works cross-generations though, and I don't see DOA6 coming out anytime soon.

I feel like the tone and direction of DOA has changed from when DOA5 first released to now, and so I see Marie Rose, Honoka, Nyotengu, Momiji all in DOA6 before Mila, regardless of how unique Mila is. It doesn't help that she isn't that big a player in the story, so I see Christie for instance in even if she doesn't have a massive fanbase.

Of course, she could always be DLC, and maybe that would be good enough.

I'm not even sure what I'd want from a DOA6 game. The gameplay in DOA5 is solid, and so either DOA6 ends up being a minor upgrade or it goes haywire. What else is there? Soft engine 3.0?

Hubb

I think they are very happy with soft engine 2.0 and will be using that for a little while. They are already incorporating it into other games they are developing and I imagine it'll stick with them until the end of this gen with minor upgrades along the way (maybe 2.5 before they move on).

My guess for DoA6 is 2017 late summer and I reserve the right to change that guess depending on if Season 4 DLC comes out or not. I shouldn't put it past TN to release DLC up until the release of DoA6 but I would be really surprised. I see it as Season 3 being the end (unless it sold tons then maybe we see a 4th pass), then they ride Xtreme 3 while they develop DoA6. They could possible do cross DLC between DoA5/Extreme 3 but I don't know if/how that'd work.

TLDR: DoA 6 Q3/4 2017 > Season pass 3 is the end of season passes > Ride Xtreme 3 out while they develop DoA6.

Hubb

I'd rather they didn't release 3 discs unless you are assuming the discs turn into free content update patches "seasons". The potential to buy DLC with in game money would be nice but it isn't going to happen.

Eolz

I'd rather they didn't release 3 discs unless you are assuming the discs turn into free content update patches "seasons". The potential to buy DLC with in game money would be nice but it isn't going to happen.

Yeah I was going to say that about discs. It would make no sense anymore due to how consoles work now.
I still think the best way would be to unlock characters for free if they don't want any backlash (even if it's stupid like " play 10 hours or pay 8$), but continue with costumes and more cosmetic stuff.

ShinMaruku

I do not mean the 3 discs but the character additions. The discs are consequence of arcade and them selling it on next gen.

the Season 3 pass is the most tempting right now.

I REALLY don't like that new character right now if it's really a crossover character. No chance of them coming back if that's the case unless they're heavily reworked like how Nicole became Rachael.

Hubb

I still think the best way would be to unlock characters for free if they don't want any backlash (even if it's stupid like " play 10 hours or pay 8$), but continue with costumes and more cosmetic stuff.

I agree that this would be the best way. You can claim all gameplay addons can be gained by playing while still get people buying them DLC. I'm not 100% sure how it'll work with their f2p version, but maybe something like Core Fighters cannot spend ingame currency. That way they still gain it and it may incentivize people into buying the full game.

UGSBBoyDragon

Neo Member
the Season 3 pass is the most tempting right now.

I REALLY don't like that new character right now if it's really a crossover character. No chance of them coming back if that's the case unless they're heavily reworked like how Nicole became Rachael.

no I give it a shot. I like ninjas. Somthing tells me she be a lot of fun dont judge before a gameplay video you know. Like Honoka was really hype and fun to play with actually even tho a lot ppl bashed her for not having her "own" move set, IDC she was a fun char. to play with

Eolz

I'm hyped on the moveset, not on the character.
Especially since the chances of her coming back in 6 are extremely low. I'd probably accept her more if she had been announced in January, and not in August for a March release.

LegendX48

Got a hori rap 4 kai for christmas and this game is so much easier to play now. However, I am still terrible lol

Time to start playing more

Top Bottom