• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5: Last Round |OT| Bouncing on new systems.

Dubz

A couple questions. What is the fastest way to unlock costumes? Can you unlock costumes by playing with friends online?

SCEE failed again - We cant buy DOA %5 LR full version in store (there is only core fifhters+some DLC) and one character - Honoka+costumes - got typo in price (it cost like 39 euro instead od 3.99 euro).
I almost bought it - though its full game.

Seriouly how many times SCEE will fail in PSN store? How its even possible to fail hard that simple tasks.

I wonder when we gonna have DOA5LR full version in PSN Store EU. In one week? In one month?

TECMO KOEI gonna lose some moneys here

Went through Hitomi's training last night, feeling more comfortable again with her. Love the fact that you have the move demo'ed instantly so you can see which frames need the inputs if you're stuck. Very nice.

Would like more skimp for the guys too but I don't have any costumes yet so maybe I just need to wait LOL

Eolz

Getting back into this just makes me want a Ninja Gaiden starring Hayate even more.

Why? Hayate really don't have a lot of fans, and not much character. I'd welcome a bigger presence though, whether by being a playable character post-game, or more than just Ayane saying "Hayate says hi, please don't damage his sword".
Ninja Gaiden really is Ryu's series too, he's Team Ninja's iconic character.

They should just reboot the series with the ladies.

Please no. Both for DOA (reputation would be worse, and the male characters are also fun) or NG (Ryu's series).

There's even an article on Eurogamer. Bad publicity for sure

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Forgot how much fun this series can be after a dreadfully long hiatus from playing DOA4 just after the 360 launch. Loving how snappy the loading and transitions are between stages and rounds(even when the game auto-cycles new costumes). The environments are a bit dated looking but the interactions are silly.

I am having a difficult time wrapping my head around what counters work against which strikes, but my brain is still operating on simplified DOA2 rules where you only need to concern over standing and crouching, here there is seemingly four unique counter options. The speed is so frantic that it almost feels like luck pulling off a counter at times. Still conditioning I suppose.

$200 for both the season pass and Ultimate DLC costumes to pad out the 'missing' clothing is way too ridiculous. Not having a good idea how to unlock certain stages, costumes, and music(where is the DOA2/3 music?) is a bit irritating from a fresh start.

Certainly does make me wish TTT2 had been given similar treatment on PS4/XB1 over the past year to help mitigate the wait for T7 surely.

Ascenion

Why? Hayate really don't have a lot of fans, and not much character. I'd welcome a bigger presence though, whether by being a playable character post-game, or more than just Ayane saying "Hayate says hi, please don't damage his sword".
Ninja Gaiden really is Ryu's series too, he's Team Ninja's iconic character.

I think Hayate has potential. The dynamic between he, Kasumi and Ayane could be explored in far greater detail. He has no character because they've yet to build it. Honestly without NG Ryu would be in the same boat. Not to mention he's Ryu's best friend. Dude has to have some skills and they've had to have one some ninja shit together. At least give me a Hayate influenced Co-op campaign NG4.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
so its not even out in Europe? I realised it wasn't there in the UK store but I assumed Europe got it on Wednesday. Has there been any comment from SCEE yet?

Half thinking to buy the US version but there is so much DLC that could be a dangerous route to take

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
  • Leave DOA's roster alone.
  • Have more playable characters in Ninja Gaiden (from the start). Why is Hayate not in the game when Ayane and Kasumi are?
  • Bring back DOAX. Have a good volleyball mode in there, plus a full fighting game mode. This is where they can get even more nuts with the silly outfits.

ShinMaruku

Getting back into this just makes me want a Ninja Gaiden starring Hayate even more.

Hayate is a bum. He got bodied by his uncle after he made a woman fight for him (Extra grimy because Raidou is Ayane's father) then he got bitch slapped and got his move stolen from him. Then in NG3 he sends his sister to give Tommy his sword. That should show you the bum Hayate is. :E

ShinMaruku

Ninja Gaiden does have female characters. You may think Misty, Ayane and Momiji are DOA characters but they are Ninja Gaiden characters. Look at all the crossovers they are in, they are in their ninja gaiden guise. :E

BadWolf

Please no. Both for DOA (reputation would be worse, and the male characters are also fun) or NG (Ryu's series).

I was referring to Ninja Gaiden, not DOA.

A serious reboot starring Kasumi and/or some other ladies as leads would be pretty damn good I think and would let them try new things. Ryu is bland, especially compared to other lead characters in the genre (Dante, Bayonetta, Raiden, Gene etc.).

Xbudz

What is the percentage of scantily clad men vs women DLC in this game? I need to know how much money to save, lol.

A couple questions. What is the fastest way to unlock costumes? Can you unlock costumes by playing with friends online?
Need to know this as well. I plan on getting snowed in and fiend this game all weekend. I wanna know the fastest way before I sit down and grind this out.

Lyte Edge

Ninja Gaiden does have female characters. You may think [KASUMI], Ayane and Momiji are DOA characters but they are Ninja Gaiden characters. Look at all the crossovers they are in, they are in their ninja gaiden guise. :E

Kasumi and Ayane are Dead Or Alive characters. Where are you getting this from? You could even argue that Ryu is a DOA character, because that's the game series that the modern version came from. Momiji and Rachel are the only ones who are Ninja Gaiden characters "guesting" in DOA5U/LR. I'm sure they'll be mainstays along with everyone else, though.

And when I play Warriors Orochi 3, it's DOA Kasumi. The NG3 outfit is there as an alternate costume. Kasumi's DOA clothes are also what comes up as available in Ragnarok Odyssey Ace.

ShinMaruku

Kasumi and Ayane are Dead Or Alive characters. Where are you getting this from? You could even argue that Ryu is a DOA character, because that's the game series that the modern version came from. Momiji and Rachel are the only ones who are Ninja Gaiden characters "guesting" in DOA5U/LR. I'm sure they'll be mainstays along with everyone else, though.

Misty and Ayane are mainstays in NG as well. In Koei's cross content they are put first in ther Ninja Gaiden guise because Hayashi is takin over the bitch. :p

Hayashi loves them in NG, they are better than Tommy in NG3:RE >_>

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
I just know I'm going to triple dip after owning vanilla and Ultimate on PS3. Between this and The Order I think I'll get more milage out of this.

Lyte Edge

[KASUMI] and Ayane are mainstays in NG as well. In Koei's cross content they are put first in ther Ninja Gaiden guise because Hayashi is takin over the bitch. :p

I'm not sure how Kasumi is a "mainstay" after being a bous character in one game. Regardless, she is a Dead Or Alive character. Kasumi is the DOA main character.

Hayashi loves them in NG, they are better than [RYU] in NG3:RE >_>

I like that Hayashi has added more playable characters to these games, but the reception to his NG titles hasn't been very positive.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
really really enjoying this but it doesn't run as well as I expected on the ps4 and the game freezes everytime i beat arcade mode

that's not the game not running well, that's a bug. Turn off throwdowns, set em to decline.

Everytime i play this game it makes me just want a Ninja Gaiden next gen remaster trilogy pack. It can just be sigma, dont care. Just put them out...i have an issue for having Ninja Gaiden on PS3, and DOA5 on PS4, it doesn't match at all

ShinMaruku

She was in NG2:Sigma just never playable but she was there.

Hayashi has made one bad NG game and people are acting like the series is dead. Half of it is pining for that nut case Itagaki who fucked up DOA4 but that is time for another thing. I think the changes made in Razors Edge is a step in the right direction. If he takes what they learned from lisnting to people for DOA in NG4, game will be in the right place. Hayashi did very well in Hyrule Warriors. (Love that game)

Lyte Edge

that's not the game not running well, that's a bug. Turn off throwdowns, set em to decline

So it was throwdowns causing problems again? Makes sense...I had the game freeze up on me after I tried turning them back on last night, lol.

Skilletor

Hayashi has made one bad NG game and people are acting like the series is dead. Half of it is pining for that nut case Itagaki who fucked up DOA4 but that is time for another thing. I think the changes made in Razors Edge is a step in the right direction. If he takes what they learned from lisnting to people for DOA in NG4, game will be in the right place. Hayashi did very well in Hyrule Warriors. (Love that game)

To be fair, NG3 is one of the worst action games I've ever played.

Making a good Musou game doesn't mean much to me. I hate musou games.

First time playing DOA5, really miss the online lobby from DOA4.

Also how do I unlock more costumes in this vers. I see they can be unlocked, but nothing stating how to unlock them.

Eolz

so its not even out in Europe? I realised it wasn't there in the UK store but I assumed Europe got it on Wednesday. Has there been any comment from SCEE yet?

Core Fighters is out, not the complete game (yet).

Ninja Gaiden does have female characters. You may think Misty, Ayane and Momiji are DOA characters but they are Ninja Gaiden characters. Look at all the crossovers they are in, they are in their ninja gaiden guise. :E

I'd say Kasumi is a DOA character and the face of this franchise. Ayane, Momiji, Rachel
and Irene
though, are definitely NG ones. And obviously, their universes overlap, even if we don't really see it in NG.

I was referring to Ninja Gaiden, not DOA.

A serious reboot starring Kasumi and/or some other ladies as leads would be pretty damn good I think and would let them try new things. Ryu is bland, especially compared to other lead characters in the genre (Dante, Bayonetta, Raiden, Gene etc.).

Yeah, sorry for the DOA confusion, wasn't clear.
Ryu isn't really bland, it's just that he's dead serious. It fits his game.

However, I think a spinoff series with Kasumi or Ayane would be good, yes, just like it was supposed to happen on Xbox (Code Cronus?). Just not the main series, the fanbase is there for a reason (since the NES), there would be a backlash similar to DmC.
Switching the main character of an established series has never been a good idea in the past.

What is the percentage of scantily clad men vs women DLC in this game? I need to know how much money to save, lol.

For men, only 1 which is already included in LR I think. Too many to count for the women.

Skilletor

First time playing DOA5, really miss the online lobby from DOA4.

Also how do I unlock more costumes in this vers. I see they can be unlocked, but nothing stating how to unlock them.

Beat modes, play online or vs.

Easiest way is arcade tag. You unlock two outfits at a time.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Just picked this up on PS4, it's pretty good though I struggle with some diagonal inputs on the gamepad. Can't get past the 20th lessons in the tutorial training. Does make me wish there was a new Virtual Fighter on the way though.

Shin you got a Wii U? Or you played HW somewhere else?

To unlock costumes:

Arcade, Tag, Rookie, win, repeat - nets you one new costume for both characters

Or do Survival, Time Attack on rookie over and over.

Inuhanyou

Ayane was in DOA1 2 and 3 before NG even came out. Why would anyone ever say she was a NG character

ShinMaruku

To be fair, NG3 is one of the worst action games I've ever played.

Making a good Musou game doesn't mean much to me. I hate musou games.
Fair point hating musou games but you can't say the man makes a bad game when he made the second best musou game. People should try WO3 or HW they are so much more refined than the older games.

Shin you got a Wii U? Or you played HW somewhere else?
I played HW elsewhere never buying a wii u. :E

Lyte Edge

That was a bonus cameo for Ninja Gaiden 3, which added onto Sigma 2. She is playable in one game.

Forget game play; that doesn't matter here. NG3 was a disaster. Yaiba didn't help things either. So yeah, I can see how people would think NG is 'dead'.

Hayashi was a producer on Hyrule Warriors...that is an Omega Force game.

Hayashi does good work on DOA. He needs to stay away from Ninja Gaiden and let someone else take a crack at it.

BadWolf

However, I think a spinoff series with Kasumi or Ayane would be good, yes, just like it was supposed to happen on Xbox (Code Cronus?). Just not the main series, the fanbase is there for a reason (since the NES), there would be a backlash similar to DmC.
Switching the main character of an established series has never been a good idea in the past.

Fair enough but wasn't NG3 a really bad game and a big bomb?

Just feel like they should make a fresh start I guess.

Skilletor

Fair point hating musou games but you can't say the man makes a bad game when he made the second best musou game. People should try WO3 or HW they are so much more refined than the older games.

I played HW elsewhere never buying a wii u. :E

I don't care about musou games. Making a good musou game does not mean he can make a good NG. The only good things in NG are the things that made it closer to NG2. He almost destroyed NG series with 3. I care about that.

Just like if Itagaki was making a new action game, I would care. If he were making a new fighter, I would not.

Fair enough but wasn't NG3 a really bad game and a big bomb?

Just feel like they should make a fresh start I guess.

Fresh start would only make sense if the reasons it bombed was the character. It bombed because it looked terrible from the getgo, Hayashi was saying stupid stuff about appealing to westerners, the gameplay was awful.

Inuhanyou

NGRE i'd consider different enough from NG3, cause they actually put a lot of the mechanics back to be more similar to NGS2, even though there are still certain parts that are dumbed down based on the original 'streamlined' vision.

Itsuno almost destroyed DMC with DMC2, but he put out the best game ever in DMC3. I think Hayashi should be given one more chance to correct his mistake

Ascenion

Hayate is a bum. He got bodied by his uncle after he made a woman fight for him (Extra grimy because Raidou is Ayane's father) then he got bitch slapped and got his move stolen from him. Then in NG3 he sends his sister to give Tommy his sword. That should show you the bum Hayate is. :E

When did this happen?

Skilletor

When did this happen?

DoA2:U intro.

Raidou's powerblow is exactly what he did to Hayate.

Also, he sent Kasumi because he's running the clan. You don't need the leader of a clan to deliver a sword.

That was a bonus cameo for Ninja Gaiden 3, which added onto Sigma 2. She is playable in one game.

Forget game play; that doesn't matter here. NG3 was a disaster. Yaiba didn't help things either. So yeah, I can see how people would think NG is 'dead'.

Hayashi was a producer on Hyrule Warriors...that is an Omega Force game.

Hayashi does good work on DOA. He needs to stay away from Ninja Gaiden and let someone else take a crack at it.

Hayashi damages doa. Every interview he does is talking about breasts and softskin. Shimbori is the one putting in all the real work.

Keep Hayashi away from DoA and away from interviewers. -_-

BadWolf

Itsuno almost destroyed DMC with DMC2, but he put out the best game ever in DMC3. I think Hayashi should be given one more chance to correct his mistake

Not really true, he was brought in at the very end of DMC2's production to try to fix it.

DMC3 is what happened when they let him work on a game from start to finish.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

As BadWolf says, the original director of DMC2 is unnamed. Itsuno was brought on to salvage the project at the very end, but it was too far gone.

That said, I wouldn't mind giving Hayashi another shot after NG3:RE. He did what he could to try and save the game, but it was just too shit. Give him a fresh start and see if he learned anything. Whatever he makes can't be worse than vanilla NG3.

Alright, EU version downloaded, Honoka bought and PS3 save-game successfully imported, seems good so far! :D The only strange things, I have Tina and Bass and I can't remember buying them and Hitomi and Ein are seemingly permanently unlocked for me now too. Atleast their blue lock icon is gone and I can still select them o.o Might be related to the 3€ price you have to pay in Germany. Also the costumes aren't up for me on EU PSN, the category is straight empty and my previous bought costume DLC from the PS3 also isn't available yet :/

Top Bottom