• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5: Last Round |OT| Bouncing on new systems.

IvorB

NGRE i'd consider different enough from NG3, cause they actually put a lot of the mechanics back to be more similar to NGS2, even though there are still certain parts that are dumbed down based on the original 'streamlined' vision.

Razor's Edge is good. At least from playing that I can see that they still understand something of what it means to be a Ninja Gaiden game. I don't think anyone can play that game on hard and tell me that's not brilliant combat.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Not really true, he was brought in at the very end of DMC2's production to try to fix it.

DMC3 is what happened when they let him work on a game from start to finish.

As BadWolf says, the original director of DMC2 is unnamed. Itsuno was brought on to salvage the project at the very end, but it was too far gone.

That said, I wouldn't mind giving Hayashi another shot after NG3:RE. He did what he could to try and save the game, but it was just too shit. Give him a fresh start and see if he learned anything. Whatever he makes can't be worse than vanilla NG3.

I stand corrected lol. But again yes, i'd say the guy deserves one more chance...i played NG3 and could not even finish that piece of shit. I played NGRE and actually was not only able to finish it, but even enjoy some parts. So that means the next game i'll be able to consider it an actual decent game!

Moofers

Never got an answer on this, so I'll post it again:

What's the deal with setting up the music? I am assuming that you either decide on having the music play based on the stage, or your opponent, right? If that's the case, how come when you bring up the list of songs, its all just based on character with a couple exceptions (menu, lobby)? If I want to set up a certain song on a specific stage, I'm not sure how I'm supposed to do that.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Razor's Edge is good. At least from playing that I can see that they still understand something of what it means to be a Ninja Gaiden game. I don't think anyone can play that game on hard and tell me that's not brilliant combat.

It's not brilliant combat. It's watered down, unbalanced, laggy, and far too dependent on the Steel-on-Bone mechanic.

It's leagues better than vanilla NG3, but NG3 was utter shit.

Eolz

Ayane was in DOA1 2 and 3 before NG even came out. Why would anyone ever say she was a NG character

She's both. It's just that she really has a presence in NG as well, unlike some other characters. Not saying she comes from NG though.

Fair enough but wasn't NG3 a really bad game and a big bomb?

Just feel like they should make a fresh start I guess.

NG3 was horrible, but RE was sort of good (story mode was still bad despite the fixes, and online is still useless). No need to reboot the series yet, since they've seemingly understood what went wrong with 3.
If the next one is shit though, it obviously needs a reboot. It's just that despite the problems, Ryu will stay the face of NG, like Lara Croft for Tomb Raider, Samus for Metroid, Classic Dante for DMC, Snake/Big Boss for MGS, etc.
We've seen how well DmC went, and how a MGS starring Raiden would go...

Skilletor

I can.

It's hamstringed by trying to shoehorn in mechanics from NG2 into a game not designed to have them.

Game is average at best.

Ascenion

DoA2:U intro.

Raidou's powerblow is exactly what he did to Hayate.

Also, he sent Kasumi because he's running the clan. You don't need the leader of a clan to deliver a sword.

Hayashi damages doa. Every interview he does is talking about breasts and softskin. Shimbori is the one putting in all the real work.

Keep Hayashi away from DoA and away from interviewers. -_-

I had never seen that before (never played ultimate). Just YouTubed it. Makes me want a Hayate Ninja Gaiden even moreso than before. Definitely wouldn't call Hayate a bum for that. Naïve? Maybe. Bum? No.

BadWolf

NG3 was horrible, but RE was sort of good (story mode was still bad despite the fixes, and online is still useless). No need to reboot the series yet, since they've seemingly understood what went wrong with 3.
If the next one is shit though, it obviously needs a reboot. It's just that despite the problems, Ryu will stay the face of NG, like Lara Croft for Tomb Raider, Samus for Metroid, Classic Dante for DMC, Snake/Big Boss for MGS, etc.
We've seen how well DmC went, and how a MGS starring Raiden would go...

You mean my no.1 game of all time for over a decade and counting?

And the character ending up as a badass cyborg Ninja with his own character action game?

Wouldn't be so bad :p

Skilletor

And the character ending up as a badass cyborg Ninja with his own character action game?

Yeah...don't get the Raiden comparison. MGS2 and MGR are both amazing games, lol.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag

I think it's pretty safe to say that the majority did not agree with you on the character choice and people wanted to play as Snake...who returned in MGS3 (yeah, yeah, Big Boss...it's Snake. :p) and has been the main character ever since. But now Raiden has his own game so it's all good.

fernoca

If we're talking spinoffs, make either Xtreme Beach Volleyball or a new Paradise featuring the guys; along different speedos and tongs.

'5' did good in giving the guys at least one to each, but variety is always welcome.

Eolz

Yeah...don't get the Raiden comparison. MGS2 and MGR are both amazing games, lol.

I love MGR, but this is a spinoff, that's my point.
I think MGS2 is inferior to the other ones, despite being a really good game, sorry, opinions. Also, remember the reaction of Raiden starring back then.

Dubz

Need to know this as well. I plan on getting snowed in and fiend this game all weekend. I wanna know the fastest way before I sit down and grind this out.
The fastest way I've found to unlock costumes is to play time trial tag on rookie difficulty. You unlock costumes for both characters about every 3 minutes.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Can we leave the Ninja Gaiden 3 is shit because of this and this and this for the Ninja Gaiden 3 thread and keep this DOA related?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I can.

It's hamstringed by trying to shoehorn in mechanics from NG2 into a game not designed to have them.

Game is average at best.

This is definitely true. You can tell they were trying to polish something that came from a bad place. You could not even originally use anything besides the sword in the original NG3 and it had no upgrades, they only thought to add 2 or 3 more copy pasted weapons from NG2 in later. The game is super average. It just so happens that average is such a jump from being absolutely garbage that it looks really good by comparison to the original

Just checked the Eu PSn Store ..

I really can't count the number of times SCEE did something bad on release those days..

it's getting ridiculous

Skilletor

How do you even do those, I never have learned how? I'm assuming those are the special moves that kinda go in slo mo and take a ton of damage?

Critical bursts are all listed at the character select screen. You perform them when the notification of critical stun turns red. The following stun allows you do do a power blow (the move you're talking about), or pretty much whatever you want.

Eolz

I really don't understand what "STAGE/CHARACTER" option is about under Music then.

You choose what music you want to hear when playing.
Either the predefined stages music, or the theme of the character you're facing (or yours in specific modes).

Griss

Just checked the Eu PSn Store ..

I really can't count the number of times SCEE did something bad on release those days..

it's getting ridiculous

It has been like this since the very release of DoA5. I know because I was always checking DLC or some other stuff. It's a disgrace, and what I want to know is - is it like this for all games? Does every company have this issue with getting their games and DLC on the EU PSN? Or is it that TN is submitting things too late or something. Do the PSN EU people just have a hatred for this game or something? They literally NEVER get it right.

It has been like this since the very release of DoA5. I know because I was always checking DLC or some other stuff. It's a disgrace, and what I want to know is - is it like this for all games? Does every company have this issue with getting their games and DLC on the EU PSN? Or is it that TN is submitting things to late or something. Do the PSN EU people just have a hatred for this game or something? They literally NEVER get it right.

Even though it does happen a fucking LOT with TN/Koei stuff, I think they do fuck up a lot in general. They're just incompetent.

Griss

Yeah, Eurogamer has a story up about it:

Eurogamer said:
...the situation with Last Round is yet another in a string of failures for the series on PlayStation.

Players we spoke to said the last two iterations of DOA5 (the original game and the Ultimate upgrade) would repeatedly suffer missing or incorrectly-uploaded DLC on a fortnightly and monthly basis, before being quietly uploaded a month or two later.

"The feeling of injustice is compounded now that users are obliged to pay for a PlayStation Plus subscription in order to play online multiplayer on PS4," Mike Jackson, one customer affected, told Eurogamer.

"Where is all this extra money going? Certainly not to ensure the quality of service of the EU PS Store."

In an email a representative for Dead or Alive publisher Koei Tecmo suggested to Eurogamer that the problem had more to do with Sony's systems than the game itself. We've asked Sony for comment.

It's completely unacceptable to charge an annual fee of 50 euros when the service does not improve one bit. Really angry about this.

Stike

Wow, the EU store for that game is a mess.

Glad it has already drawn some attention to the press.

No full game, no free basic version, and to top it off, you can purchase the Honoka character and costume set for a measly 44.99 €

It's completely unacceptable to charge an annual fee of 50 euros when the service does not improve one bit. Really angry about this.

With how utter SHIT SCEE is, particularly when it comes to one of the main game I play and my favourite series on the system, it's no wonder I refuse to pay for PS+. Diabolical behaviour.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

May just go US PSN for it then if this is common with TN/SCEE. Luckily I don't have any paid DLC to lock me to the UK.

Forsythia

There are issues on Xbox One as well. Koei Tecmo can blame Sony and MS all they want, but they could've sorted this all out before release. Still waiting so I can transfer my DLC. But at least I can play the full game, I feel for PS4 gamers eager to play it.

I also like this post on their Facebook page:

jvDk76F.jpg

It has been like this since the very release of DoA5. I know because I was always checking DLC or some other stuff. It's a disgrace, and what I want to know is - is it like this for all games? Does every company have this issue with getting their games and DLC on the EU PSN? Or is it that TN is submitting things too late or something. Do the PSN EU people just have a hatred for this game or something? They literally NEVER get it right.
A number of tecmo, xseed and sega games seems to be cursed.....
Or SCEE just doest care because those arent AAA games.
Incompétence or lazyness ..... or my bet is on both

vg260

Purchasing the first Halloween pack on the 360 does not seem to make the download on the Xbox one free. Wasn't DLC supposed to carry over? or have they just not corrected the store?

Ferr986

May just go US PSN for it then if this is common with TN/SCEE. Luckily I don't have any paid DLC to lock me to the UK.

The US PSN store is very well done in this game, theres a ton of filters of costumes, characters, gender...

The EU version is a mess, and not only for the lack of items.

RoyalFool

Banned
Hmm. I really just want to buy the "full game" but all this DLC is confusing as hell.

If I buy story mode can I still only see the story for the characters I've paid for?

What's the deal with the Honoka pack, it looks like you can buy her and her costumes are two separate downloads for £30 less.

No bundle pack for the guys?

Just let me pay £40 already and give me a normal game!

Story mode is story mode. You buy it, you get the full story mode.

EU PSN Store still allows filtering if you access through the game. Haven't looked without being in the game, though, so I can imagine it's a crock of shite.

Edit: There is some filtering in the store from not being in-game; just not as much as in-game store.

OrochiJR

Hmm. I really just want to buy the "full game" but all this DLC is confusing as hell.

If I buy story mode can I still only see the story for the characters I've paid for?

What's the deal with the Honoka pack, it looks like you can buy her and her costumes are two separate downloads for £30 less.

No bundle pack for the guys?

Just let me pay £40 already and give me a normal game!

Well, the "full" game gets you pretty much the base game with all the characters, minus all the more recent Doa5 Ultimate DLCs (which you should be able to buy, if they ever manage to put it up on the current gen stores) and DLC that has been newly released, like the mentioned Honoka outfits and the Season Pass. All this navigating through DLC is currently a bitch on the Xbone, they just should have included everything that was ever available in Ultimate from the get go.

Concerning story mode, I believe it should give you the complete story, otherwise it wouldn't make sense. If you buy the full game, DO NOT buy story mode separately since it is included.

Ferr986

EU PSN Store still allows filtering if you access through the game. Haven't looked without being in the game, though, so I can imagine it's a crock of shite.

Edit: There is some filtering in the store from not being in-game; just not as much as in-game store.

ah yes, my mistake. Getting into the store in-game gives you similar results to the US store.
Its just that theres a shit ton of stuff missing.

Sylver

Banned

That's still the core fighters edition not the digital version of the retail version.
When releases the 34,95€ version?
seems only eurogamer report it http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...e-5-last-round-launches-with-plenty-of-issues

Jinjo

SCEE failed again - We cant buy DOA %5 LR full version in store (there is only core fifhters+some DLC) and one character - Honoka+costumes - got typo in price (it cost like 39 euro instead od 3.99 euro).
I almost bought it - though its full game.

Seriouly how many times SCEE will fail in PSN store? How its even possible to fail hard that simple tasks.

I wonder when we gonna have DOA5LR full version in PSN Store EU. In one week? In one month?

TECMO KOEI gonna lose some moneys here

I was just about to comment on this. They lost my impulse purchase on Ultimate in a similar way (that also had digital release problems that delayed it I think), and they will now too.

Top Bottom