• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5: Last Round |OT| Bouncing on new systems.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Video I posted of OMG breast mode vs the new "LR" mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aOpo6-6hH4

iZ0YGk3ycU8PW.jpg

lol they're like nodding dogs. @2:00 is funny. I think I'd have to turn hat right down because it's ridiculous.

Just had a thought about buying the US PSN version - as the best way to access DLC is through the in-game store, would that get messed up if I'm playing on my UK account? If so I'd be best to wait

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Man, they really REALLY dropped the ball on the visuals front.

They had last gen assets as a base which should have allowed for some additional improvements to enhance them. Some proper AA (MSAA seems possible) would have made a difference rather than no AA at all. They also simply avoid using mipmaps altogether in many areas producing more aliasing.

I would really have liked to see in game motion blur a la Tekken Tag 2 at least as an option. You know, like those pre-rendered shots from the launch of DOA4.

Some nice depth of field during play with bokeh would have enhanced the fairly basic looking backgrounds as well.

I simply wish they would have spent time really refining what they've already made.

As it stands, I think Virtua Fighter 5, from 2005 no less, still looks better overall.

system11

They had last gen assets as a base which should have allowed for some additional improvements to enhance them. Some proper AA (MSAA seems possible) would have made a difference rather than no AA at all. They also simply avoid using mipmaps altogether in many areas producing more aliasing.

I would really have liked to see in game motion blur a la Tekken Tag 2 at least as an option. You know, like those pre-rendered shots from the launch of DOA4.

Some nice depth of field during play with bokeh would have enhanced the fairly basic looking backgrounds as well.

I simply wish they would have spent time really refining what they've already made.

As it stands, I think Virtua Fighter 5, from 2005 no less, still looks better overall.

I'm so, so happy they didn't put any form of blur or DoF in. Those two effects are 2/3 of the worst things to ever happen to gaming, chromatic aberration being the third.

Just a quick info: The "OPTIONS" note for accepting Throwdowns isn't wrong, you just have to hold it. That clicking the touchpad works too is probably because of the PS3 version, I often get the feeling that it's what SELECT used to be on the DS3

Can't wait to unlock the rest of the costumes for the characters I strangely have now and Honoka is a blast to play! Too bad that the game is half messed up on the EU PSN store and that the online is so flawed. I did most of my online matches through Throwdowns on the PS3 too so I guess that's why I never noticed.

MMaRsu

Its not a beautiful game but it still looks aight.

dark10x

Yeah, no game needs motion blur. ESPECIALLY not 60fps fighting games.
I'm just going to have to disagree.

The implementation in Tekken Tag 2 was absolutely incredible and elevates the visuals significantly and, hey, it was even optional.

I mean, these original bullshots for DOA4 even used it and you can see the potential...

It would have looked incredible in DOA5.

Also, look at stuff like GT3 and 4 on PS2. Did you ever notice how the 60 fps introduction movies looked much better than the game itself in motion? It was all due to motion blur added to those videos.

Manp

i must be missing something. why can't i use like half the costumes i should have on PS4?

they're available on PS3 (i have pretty much all the costumes available) but on PS4 it just says the costume has not been downloaded? and there seems no way to download them from the store. they're nowhere to be found :|

system11

I mean, these original bullshots for DOA4 even used it and you can see the potential...

It would have looked incredible in DOA5.

That looks horrendous, why would you want to blur graphics instead of being able to see them clearly? It's not realistic, it's just ugly.

Fruitster

i must be missing something. why can't i use like half the costumes i should have on PS4?

they're available on PS3 (i have pretty much all the costumes available) but on PS4 it just says the costume has not been downloaded? and there seems no way to download them from the store. they're nowhere to be found :|

For some reason, practically none of the PS4 last round DLC, or even the full game was uploaded to the European PSN store, including costume catalogues. A total fuck up all round.

That looks horrendous, why would you want to blur graphics instead of being able to see them clearly? It's not realistic, it's just ugly.
Yeah, I totally agree with this guy. Do you shake your head from side to side constantly in everyday life so everything looks blurry? I really do not see the aesthetic appeal. Let me guess, you prefer 30fps to 60fps for the "cinematic" qualities too, right?

Having said that, if it were optional then I'd have no problem with it. I would never use it, but as long as it's not forced on me then I'm all for choice.

dark10x

It's absolutely realistic (not that implementation though) and desirable.

Take a look. It's harder to appreciate in a Youtube video but you can still see that it improves fluidity of motion.

60 fps video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEP7zv0sjyY

Motion blur comparison
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIgl3WAAKu0

Motion blur is a huge part of offline rendering and is becoming important in real-time as well. Our eyes don't see the word as individual frames and motion blur is designed to simulate that. Wave your hand quickly in front of your face and you'll see that.

jediyoshi

Yeah, I totally agree with this guy. Do you shake your head from side to side constantly in everyday life so everything looks blurry? I really do not see the aesthetic appeal. Let me guess, you prefer 30fps to 60fps for the "cinematic" qualities too, right?

I don't understand a single conflation you've made. What kind of life do you lead where you don't run into a single thing that moves quicker than you're able to perfectly precept completely? What's the indicator of realism you're actually trying to set as a baseline here, because I don't think it actually needs to be stated in laymans terms to people that both eyes and cameras don't function in perfect ways. Somehow though we're okay with a million other post processing or full screen effects that obfuscate visuals either way.

I do I turn off the searching for players thing as I play arcade mode? because every time I try to play the core version it will crash, nothing but crash. (X1)

Yeah, it could of definitely been improved more, but at least on my TV, it looks pretty good to the point where I immediately notice a difference when I observe the backgrounds and the models. It might be me, but it looks like some of the background detail and even a some textures appear sharper, more colorful or more vibrant compared to the other versions. Also, I think the 1080p makes a noticeable difference and it appears that most of the shimmering is gone or significantly reduced. I actually think the visual upgrade is on par with Tekken 5 on PS2 in 480P to Tekken 5:DR on PS3 in 1080P. I think the game looks more crisp and it seems like the image quality was improved as well.

Ferr986

Get used to it, guys. SCEE is incompetent as fuck when it comes to Team Ninja/Koei/DOA stuff.

Yeah thats what I'm noticing lately. Honestly never saw such fuck ups when I was a 360 user.

It's a shame because I was ready to buy it digitally now in an impulse. Not only it's a game I dont mind having it digital, theres also no copies where I live and I cant be bothered to drive 30 mins for buying it.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Question: How do I go around downloading various costumes for characters? For some reason it took FOREVER for me to access PSN Store directly from the game (when outside the game the PSN store can be accessed quickly/normally, what gives????) I can't seem to find costumes by searching through PSN store from outside the game as well.

Also, how to unlock the various private paradise movies?

There is also a cooking rhythm game (yes you read that right) featuring the SK girls called Senran Kagura Bon Appetit and is available only as a digital download on the PSN store for Vita.
This was the first thing I came across on YT when I checked lol. Some of the outfits I can really see working well. Thanks for all the infos!

Sorry to you EU PS4 guys. I wonder if there'll be any sort of consolation DLC as an apology, like there is for the Steam delay. Tecmo should at least do something IMO, even if this is more a SCEE mess up, it just looks really bad on their end with all the performance issues too.

Trying to predict how the Steam release will go is becoming almost impossible now, but I'd take a badly done port over another delay at this point because I trust the modding community to fix the game more than I trust Team Ninja to.

Also, how to unlock the various private paradise movies?
Aren't these also DLCs?

Ferr986

Hitomi is so good, soo goood!. I did a good streak of wins in online, despite being my first time in DOA5.

Network is a mixed bag though, sometimes I get random slowdowns.

duck_sauce

Oh gesh....i really like the game but i dont like the need to unlock the customes. Im really bad at online play. It would take me ages and then some t unlock everything.
I planed to play it solo offline.....but from the looks of it i cant unlock all the customes that way. :(

I would pay to unlock everything

Oh gesh....i really like the game but i dont like the need to unlock the customes. Im really bad at online play. It would take me ages and then some t unlock everything.
I planed to play it solo offline.....but from the looks of it i cant unlock all the customes that way. :(

I would pay to unlock everything

Arcade/Survival/Time Attack - Tag Mode - Rookie Difficulty - Nets you a new costume for both characters - Repeat

Survival Rookie Tag seems the quickest way.

duck_sauce

Arcade/Survival/Time Attack - Tag Mode - Rookie Difficulty - Nets you a new costume for both characters - Repeat

Survival Rookie Tag seems the quickest way.

That sounds great.I read that some costumes can only be unlocked by online play. Very glad to hear otherwise

That sounds great.I read that some costumes can only be unlocked by online play. Very glad to hear otherwise

If memory serves right, there were about 3 costumes (one for Lisa, one for Christie, one for Tina...I THINK it was those girls), that could be got through playing online a number of times. Otherwise, you had to beat Arcade or Survival on Legendary or something. So for those, online matches were the easier method, and that might be the case in LR.

Everything else, though, just do tag modes on rookie.

Here we go. This is from the original DOA5, and I assume still applies in LR.

Unlock Special Swimsuits:

You can use any character.

Tina - Beat Solo Arcade mode on Legend difficulty without continuing (or play 50 online Ranked matches)
Christie - Beat Solo Time Attack mode on Legend difficulty without continuing (or play 100 online Ranked matches)
Lisa - Beat Survival mode on Legend difficulty (or play 200 online Ranked matches)

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Well its a quick port after all.

Since its a last gen game, it still competes with last gen games outside of resolution. They were never coming at this project with the aim of redoing any of their previous assets.

I think we've all already agreed that the actual stages and IQ of DOA4 far surpass DOA5 to begin with(DOA4 with its native 720p and 4xMSAA still are better than DOA5 at 1080p IQ wise), the only thing DOA5 did better than the previous games visually was the character models, they're great and far more appealing and alive looking than the dolls with the same body of the previous games.

yeah I should have pre-ordered I really love Helena's and Lisa's showstopper suits

that missing showstopper suit for Lisa really bugs me since I was really considering wasting $92 on the season pass but all that money and you will still have missing stuff you'd like to have but can't kinda puts a stop to that collecting itch

this just saved me a lot of money, funny how that shit works on your brain it is worthless shit until you can't get it lol

Bought core fighters for £3.99, the trial already gave quit a bit but I wanted to support it and I don't have the funds for a full out new game right now.

This is the first time playing DoA5, I own the rest and loved 4 to death... this version seems like they tweaked the combat but I can't help but think 4 was a lot better, maybe it's rose tinted glasses getting in the way.

I kind of dislike the game jumping between 60 fps and 30 fps, is there a reason that victory poses and intros are half the frame rate? they never did that in DoA4.

Also is it me or does the UK xbox store not have any character DLC up? all I get from searches and in-game redirects are some costume packs, I want to buy a fighter or two.

Kinyou

Sorry if this has already been asked, but I'm playing the trial right now and I see that a lot of Kasumi's etc. costumes aren't available. The game just says "not installed yet" will those costumes be unlocked if I buy the full game? Or are all of those actually dlc?

Sorry if this has already been asked, but I'm playing the trial right now and I see that a lot of Kasumi's etc. costumes aren't available. The game just says "not installed yet" will those costumes be unlocked if I buy the full game? Or are all of those actually dlc?

"This costume has not been download" = DLC.

Top Bottom