• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5: Last Round |OT| Bouncing on new systems.

https://twitter.com/TeamNINJAStudio

They are starting to lose their cool in their responses. I smell a meltdown coming soon if things keep going the way they are going atm.
Ahh... this is sad to read. They definitely screwed up, but to also take the heat for MS and SCEE's problems on top of all the problems with the actual game has got to be stressful.

Shameless self quote for new page:
I read something that implies buying paradise movies for some characters unlocks exclusive costumes to those movies, can anyone confirm that they can also be used in the actual game?

http://deadoralive.wikia.com/wiki/Dead_or_Alive_5_Last_Round/Downloadable_Content
I wanted some costumes that I thought were JP collectors edition only, but this looks like you can get them after all by buying paradise movies. Anyone have any idea?

Its like they gave her Marie Rose's missing cleavage. o.o
omg, maybe she can steal other player's breast size like how she can steal their moves, and that's what happened to Marie. Need some episodic DLC exploring this story arc.

Shouta

Played some of this last night and the changes to the gameplay make the game feel more like Virtua Fighter than ever before. The base game concepts were similar originally but they differentiated it over the years but it seems they took some steps with Last Round to be more similar. It felt like moves had more recovery making it harder to just spam strings and you really needed to get launchers/bounces to get damage and even then it mimics VF damage scaling too. Pretty interested so I'm downloading the core version right now to mess with whatever chars are available.

s_mirage

EDIT: I don't see anyone complaining about PC though, just about how it's ridiculous that the Xbox One game doesn't work with MCZ TE2 joysticks (which I definitely argee with)

Without trawling Twitter, I'm not sure whether no-one's asking about the PC version or whether Team Ninja simply isn't answering any questions about it, hence none appear on their feed. I've asked to no avail.

The PC version worries me greatly. The global branches of Koei Tecmo don't seem to have any info about it, and Team Ninja don't seem to be answering any questions. I can't think of a single other game where absolutely no specifics, screenshots, or footage have been supplied, five weeks before release. Given the apparent problems with the console versions, I'm expecting a total shitshow to be honest.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Holy shit at the twitter feed blow up. I haven't tried the game in a week but damn. Is the next-gen versions that badly launched?

Played some of this last night and the changes to the gameplay make the game feel more like Virtua Fighter than ever before. The base game concepts were similar originally but they differentiated it over the years but it seems they took some steps with Last Round to be more similar. It felt like moves had more recovery making it harder to just spam strings and you really needed to get launchers/bounces to get damage and even then it mimics VF damage scaling too. Pretty interested so I'm downloading the core version right now to mess with whatever chars are available.

So you know it's Ein, Hitomi (Until the 3rd), Ayami, Hayabusa, Hayate, and Kasumi.

Kumubou

Evo games all have strong tournament showings or are new releases.
And sometimes even that's not enough. :<
No, I'm not bitter...
not THAT bitter, anyway. :x

https://twitter.com/TeamNINJAStudio

They are starting to lose their cool in their responses. I smell a meltdown coming soon if things keep going the way they are going atm.
You would have to be a robot to unwaveringly handle all of the crap they've been getting over the last few days... but at the same time, this launch has been a hot mess and you can't expect people to be happy with it.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the PC version face another delay in light of all the problems people are having with the console versions. They'll probably prioritize fixing those versions before putting the finishing touches on the PC version.

mdsfx

Can I get a link to this. I'm looking to get the Xbone version.
I have the Xbox one version and haven't had a single crash in the 10 hours I've put in

Edit: Holy twitter updates. Theres a game save glitch? So this is only when using the languages they listed?

Astral

So is no one playing ranked or something? I don't like lobby matches because I don't like waiting my turn, which happens a lot lol.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Tom Lee just apologized for the launch screw up on behalf of Team Ninja on stage at Winter Brawl 9.

I really hope they can get this sorted out soon.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Tom Lee just apologized for the launch screw up on behalf of Team Ninja on stage at Winter Brawl 9.

I really hope they can get this sorted out soon.

It is nice to see them do this on such public event. It shows they care and are really sorry about the events that happened. Still I need details about the PC version tho.

Here is me trying to educate myself:
What sets some of the characters in this game apart in terms of game mechanics? What makes Helena different from Nyotengu different from Kasumi different from Ayane?

Especially interested in Nyotengu because I mained Tengu back on DoA2 and she is wowie-zowie levels of attractiveness.

And sometimes even that's not enough. :<
No, I'm not bitter...
not THAT bitter, anyway. :x

You would have to be a robot to unwaveringly handle all of the crap they've been getting over the last few days... but at the same time, this launch has been a hot mess and you can't expect people to be happy with it.
Is that an Uniel reference?

Vazra

What sets some of the characters in this game apart in terms of game mechanics? What makes Helena different from Nyotengu different from Kasumi different from Ayane?

Especially interested in Nyotengu because I mained Tengu back on DoA2 and she is wowie-zowie levels of attractiveness.

Is that an Uniel reference?

Every character has their own set of moves and they work at different distance or situations better. Nyotengu is slow but she can deal good damage if you know what you are doing, Helena is speedy and can work her combos with the stance changes and Kasumi is way faster and safer than Helena and with less stance play. Overall there are different values to all those characters in terms of moves and safety and different strategies to use with them.

EDIT: Ayane moves way different than Kasumi and its more unsafe but she has some nice moves to work with plus her spin magic lol.

LowParry

Master Nyotengu's Hiten No Mai to start. Otherwise get in the labs of working with command and combo training first to get a good BnB feel for characters. Once you feel comfortable with that, then start looking into character specifics.

Also look here:

http://www.freestepdodge.com/categories/characters.52/

LoveCake

The issue i have really is the shop, now i'm not sure if this it Temco's fault or Sony's.

I have the retail version but i have zero idea what DLC items i actually need for the retail version if i wanted to buy them (which i do) the digital version of the game & all the DLC for that version should be on a separate page of the shop.

I hope that Temco will do a season pass for the DLC though do give a bit of a discount, if it's £50 for all the costumes i'll buy!!!!!

I am just playing through the story mode for now.

The one thing i really think is a nice touch is after a fight the fighters are all dirty depending on the location of the fight.

Vazra

The issue i have really is the shop, now i'm not sure if this it Temco's fault or Sony's.

I have the retail version but i have zero idea what DLC items i actually need for the retail version if i wanted to buy them (which i do) the digital version of the game & all the DLC for that version should be on a separate page of the shop.

I am just playing through the story mode for now.

On PS3 I just enter the PSN store from the game and you would see a logo of already purchased on the DLC you already own.

ShinMaruku

Part of the brillaince is each character plays very differently. Even the clones of Misty play completely differently from each other. With Phase 4 playing WAY different than the rest of the cast. How is Helena different form the other characters is her use of stances to switch her attacks and create space, it's also good for counter attacks when somebody tries to press an unwise button. Ayane is range. She plays best from mid range, she also works really well with crushes. Because if somebody is too buttony and you smack them they get crushed and you can launch them.

Nyo Tengu is a bit faster version of Tengu with some great air combo mechanics and great throws you can use to beat holds that launch people. She also has sublime catch throws that are useful when somebody is in the bound state. She also can beat wake up attacks by staying in the air as well as her 6kp backdash charge.

Here are some matches with
Phase4:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngfTGstJvLc

Nyo Tengu: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixgzU1az2Lc

Ayane: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR09L9KgyqM

LoveCake

On PS3 I just enter the PSN store from the game and you would see a logo of already purchased on the DLC you already own.

I didn't get DOA5 for PS3 i got it for my X360 but i have got DOA5:LR for PS4.

What i mean is i don't want to pay for costumes that i already have on the disc, as i already have the game i shouldn't be able to buy the digital version, but i can if i wanted to, so there should be a warning or something that you already have this item/content, i know this is the same for all games with DLC, but like i said there should be a separate page or something for people with the retail version.

Pimpbaa

For the pervs out there, don't immediately use the "omg" breast setting when you unlock it. It's no better than it was on DOA5 Ultimate. The "LR" setting uses more complex physics. The breast react to the characters arms hitting more noticeably and also can knock against each other. Breast also hang a bit when the characters body is horizontal. Also the type of fabric and how much support a costume provides affects them more realistically as well.

LowParry

For the pervs out there, don't immediately use the "omg" breast setting when you unlock it. It's no better than it was on DOA5 Ultimate. The "LR" setting uses more complex physics. The breast react to the characters arms hitting more noticeably and also can knock against each other. Breast also hang a bit when the characters body is horizontal. Also the type of fabric and how much support a costume provides affects them more realistically as well.

You must shake the controller a lot on win poses. ;)

Hackworth

So have they released any more detail on the PC version yet? I'm gonna keep coming back until I know what the deal is with this thing.

Timu

My X1 version can't do this sadly when it comes to motion control. Hope PC gets modded to do it!!!

Pachinko

I'm actually glad that "core fighters" exists for this because it gave me a brief few minutes with the game and that's all I really needed to confirm this wasn't really for me.

Seems Team Ninja felt they could simply port their engine onto the PS4/XB1 and not have to tweak much outside of the 50% resolution bump and wobblier boobs. Some might defend it as being just 40$ but it isn't really 40$ now is it ?

By my count, making the game complete would require the user to spend at least an additional 92$ for a complete costume pack DLC.

I have more of an issue with how this game leeches cash from players then the actual gameplay itself. Seeing that it's also kind of a lazy port combined with these other aspects is enough to make me skip paying tecmo a dime for it I think.

Hopefully they can get their shit together for DOA6 but I don't exactly have high hopes.

Vazra

I'm actually glad that "core fighters" exists for this because it gave me a brief few minutes with the game and that's all I really needed to confirm this wasn't really for me.

Seems Team Ninja felt they could simply port their engine onto the PS4/XB1 and not have to tweak much outside of the 50% resolution bump and wobblier boobs. Some might defend it as being just 40$ but it isn't really 40$ now is it ?

By my count, making the game complete would require the user to spend at least an additional 92$ for a complete costume pack DLC.

I have more of an issue with how this game leeches cash from players then the actual gameplay itself. Seeing that it's also kind of a lazy port combined with these other aspects is enough to make me skip paying tecmo a dime for it I think.

Hopefully they can get their shit together for DOA6 but I don't exactly have high hopes.

The game is complete. The DLC outfits are optional and do not stop you from enjoying the gameplay. The DLC is the way for them to make money since the game is niche and doesnt generate as much as many other fighters. DOA6 pretty much will be doing the same practices as DOA5 so i guess you will be skipping DOA6.

Also 92$ for the costume pack doesnt include all the DLC either.

remz

I think judging a fighter after a "few minutes" is pretty short sighted. At that limited amount of play you haven't really learned anything about it other than what it looks like, I wouldn't know how to play at all after that. Honestly, that's a really ridiculous thing to say about any game genre, but especially so for fighters. :|

I also take issue with the game "not really being $40" It is forty dollars. if you want to buy costumes you can do that, but nothing that actually effects the game costs more than that 40. I probably spent maybe 50-60 hours last gen playing PS3 core fighters with a purchased Tina. That was a tiny amount of cash for a mega amount of fun

It's like 5-10 dollars if you only want to buy the character(s) you like. If you feel compelled to fork out more for the full game, great! If you wanna spend on fetish gear in a game already brimming with outfits awesome! but that's on you, not team ninja,

If you bought shit last gen it carries over too. even cheaper!

It's a fucking good game. I just wish the boobie/costume drama didn't overshadow it so much.

Skilletor

It's way more than 92 bucks. And the game isn't leeching anything from the player by offering cosmetic, non-essential dlc as an option.

It is 40 bucks straight. You are complaining about cosmetic DLC that, while is a hell of a lot, also not necessary to the experience. I have a far bigger problem with character DLC but if you wanna skip on a game due to costumes, go ahead.

(You'd hate Gundam VS. There are over a hundred or so UIs, but obviously just like with this game they don't expect people to buy literally all of it)

remz

It is 40 bucks straight. You are complaining about cosmetic DLC that, while is a hell of a lot, also not necessary to the experience. I have a far bigger problem with character DLC but if you wanna skip on a game due to costumes, go ahead.

(You'd hate Gundam VS. There are over a hundred or so UIs, but obviously just like with this game they don't expect people to buy literally all of it)

Naw mayne, if it's there in the marketplace I gotta have it otherwise my game isn't "complete" :eyeroll

LowParry

Costumes are optional. Not game changing. And I really hope Harada does this sort of thing with Tekken. And you could say this is DOA's Super version. Do you not play Capcom games anymore either?

This mentality needs to stop.

You get a full game.

The DLC is costumes. Aesthetics. Optional.

You don't NEED the costumes. They aren't taking anything away by giving you optional costumes.

With their awesome F2P system, the DLC is one way to keep money coming into the game. Meanwhile, you get practically a full game for free if you download Core Fighters, choose the characters you want to main, and if you like any of the outfits, you buy them.

Sure, the prices of each costume could be cheaper (and if it's now bundles only on PS4, that's a bit of a bummer), but the idea that TN is "leeching cash from players" is stupid.

It's great that TN continues to support their game for so long with these optional costumes that nobody needs. People need to think about what they're bitching about, because so many people are getting into the wrong frame of mind about it.

Vazra

Costumes are optional. Not game changing. And I really hope Harada does this sort of thing with Tekken. And you could say this is DOA's Super version. Do you not play Capcom games anymore either?

I guess Guilty Gear Xrd is an unfinished game since there are DLC characters. lol

Top Bottom