• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5: Last Round |OT| Bouncing on new systems.

LowParry

I guess Guilty Gear Xrd is an unfinished game since there are DLC characters. lol

Well, to be fair, the DLC character thing is a bit iffy in my book. We usually see them offered as a pre order bonus and the likes. Which to me is a gift to the fans for their support. But I know a lot of people still hold onto the past of pure unlockables in fighters. We're in a different age of gaming where we can get updates and additional content to our systems instead of waiting for the next version up.

Skilletor

This mentality needs to stop.

You get a full game.

The DLC is costumes. Aesthetics. Optional.

You don't NEED the costumes. They aren't taking anything away by giving you optional costumes.

With their awesome F2P system, the DLC is one way to keep money coming into the game. Meanwhile, you get practically a full game for free if you download Core Fighters, choose the characters you want to main, and if you like any of the outfits, you buy them.

Sure, the prices of each costume could be cheaper (and if it's now bundles only on PS4, that's a bit of a bummer), but the idea that TN is "leeching cash from players" is stupid.

It's great that TN continues to support their game for so long with these optional costumes that nobody needs. People need to think about what they're bitching about, because so many people are getting into the wrong frame of mind about it.

This, pretty much.

All of this DLC and the Core fighters version is the reason a game I love has had such prolonged support.

Get their shit together for DoA6? Nothing needs to change as far as DLC, imo. It's the perfect model.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Cosmetic DLC is the only thing that should rightly be DLC in these types of games, so complaining about that is really foolish IMO. I bought Marie rose stupidly...but i also bought a lot of the costumes that came for free in this version, so i think i have a bit more right to be pissed than someone complaining about optional cosmetics just for the 'principle'.

There are much bigger things Team Ninja needs to focus on improving for DOA6 than what people think about cosmetic DLC

Question: the F2P "Core Fighters" version has like...most of the options and such locked out. If I buy one fighter, do those all unlock? Or do I have to purchase each unlock separately?

remz

DLC fighters is the real problem I think. Fucking sucks to have to drop 10-15bux on a character you might not end up even liking.

If more games had the costume support DOA5 has the world would be a better place. So much fashion *_*

Question: the F2P "Core Fighters" version has like...most of the options and such locked out. If I buy one fighter, do those all unlock? Or do I have to purchase each unlock separately?

did you just download it? Might not have fully downloaded, and is just letting you play the few modes it has already installed.

If on PS4, Options it on the home screen, and go to Information. Will tell you how much of the 10GB it's installed.

DLC fighters is the real problem I think. Fucking sucks to have to drop 10-15bux on a character you might not end up even liking.

If more games had the costume support DOA5 has the world would be a better place. So much fashion *_*

Well this is why TN rotates a couple of unlocked characters on the F2P version every couple of weeks. Sometimes they put a chunk of characters up for free temporarily, like 4-6 during special periods. And on rarer occasions, they make some perma-unlocked if you download them in time.

Eventually, you get to try them all out, but it takes time.

I think some more nice casual outfits would be great if they can get around to it.

Defo. I love Kassie's leather jacket/dress combo, but I would love the jacket on her in a pair of jeans like Hitomi has.

Pachinko

Whoa, the DLC defense force came out hardcore after my post.

Here's the thing, I bought this game before the DLC nightmare, in 2012 when it was just called Dead Or Alive 5 , I even grabbed the collectors edition in a shiny tin box that came with a soundtrack and a couple bonus outfits.

I played that one quite a bit- finished the story mode, tried out time attack a few times and survival (which was my favorite mode in the older DOA games) but I had my fill after a couple weeks. It didn't grab me like the older titles did.

Then in 2013, DOA5 Ultimate came out and I just couldn't be bothered. 2014 saw the release of a few DLC characters , one in particular I think goes against everything the series stands for (Marie Rose) and I don't know, it just doesn't seem like this game is any more then an otaku pandering cash cow these days.

I tried out the PS4 core fighters to see the graphical differences and that was about it, those differences were pathetically minor.

Everyone else here, you guys can enjoy this game. It's not for me, I'm not faulting you for liking it or even paying money for DLC costumes. I happen to think the tactic is disgusting, I didn't like it in street fighter 4 either. Cosmetic DLC in a retail game should be virtually free, but that's just my old man brain talking.

In my day, you got your 100+ outfits with your dead or alive game on a disc and that was pretty much it until the next sequel came out. I simply prefer that method of delivery.

DLC fighters are fine, since you can buy it all for $40.

did you just download it? Might not have fully downloaded, and is just letting you play the few mods it has already installed.

If on PS4, Options it on the home screen, and go to Information. Will tell you how much of the 10GB it's installed.

Well this is why TN rotates a couple of unlocked characters on the F2P version every couple of weeks. Sometimes they put a chunk of characters up for free temporarily, like 4-6 during special periods. And on rarer occasions, they make some perma-unlocked if you download them in time.

Eventually, you get to try them all out, but it takes time.

Defo. I love Kassie's leather jacket/dress combo, but I would love the jacket on her in a pair of jeans like Hitomi has.
I downloaded and installed the full program, but it was only 3GB or so before it completed and installed. Am I missing something?

I downloaded and installed the full program, but it was only 3GB or so before it completed and installed. Am I missing something?

That's the minimum it needed to install to let you play. There's another 7GB it will be downloading/installing in the background.

Like I say, go to home screen, Options on DOA5 > Information. Will tell you how much it's done.

Skilletor

In my day, you got your 100+ outfits with your dead or alive game on a disc and that was pretty much it until the next sequel came out. I simply prefer that method of delivery.

No, you didn't.

DoA2 had tons of releases and didn't have 100+ outfits until DoA2U, after 6 releases.

DoA3 didn't come near to reaching the number of outfits vanilla DoA5 had.

DoA4, same thing as DoA3. It barely had as many outfits as vanilla DoA5.

Feel free to hate on the DLC, but at least do it with proper information.

That's the minimum it needed to install to let you play. There's another 7GB it will be downloading/installing in the background.

Like I say, go to home screen, Options on DOA5 > Information. Will tell you how much it's done.
Oh! I will go turn on my PS4 so it can continue downloading, then.

No, you didn't.

DoA2 had tons of releases and didn't have 100+ outfits until DoA2U, after 6 releases.

DoA3 didn't come near to reaching the number of outfits vanilla DoA5 had.

DoA4, same thing as DoA3. It barely had as many outfits as DoA5.

Try again.
Also, my impression is that DoA5:LR has as many outfits included as DoA2U. So you're still getting that standard. There's just the option for more.

Skilletor

Oh! I will go turn on my PS4 so it can continue downloading, then.

Also, my impression is that DoA5:LR has as many outfits included as DoA2U. So you're still getting that standard. There's just the option for more.

I think it's a lot more than DoA2U, but that's probably inflated because there are tons more characters.

remz

DLC fighters are fine, since you can buy it all for $40.
Oh, I don't mean with DOA. DOA and KI are the only two games doing thsi kind of thing right (full roster packs vs being able to buy just what you want) I'm more bent out of shape by the ArcSys thing of putting the game out then like 2-3 characters post release for 15 bux a pop. It feels like a rip.

Also, as above the only DOA game I remember having a bazillion outfits is DOA2:U on xbox. DOA3 had like... 3 per character? With Kasumi and Ayane having like maybe 5? LR's non DLC costumes already dwarf everything else.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

Here's the thing, I bought this game before the DLC nightmare, in 2012 when it was just called Dead Or Alive 5 , I even grabbed the collectors edition in a shiny tin box that came with a soundtrack and a couple bonus outfits.

I played that one quite a bit- finished the story mode, tried out time attack a few times and survival (which was my favorite mode in the older DOA games) but I had my fill after a couple weeks. It didn't grab me like the older titles did.

Then in 2013, DOA5 Ultimate came out and I just couldn't be bothered. 2014 saw the release of a few DLC characters , one in particular I think goes against everything the series stands for (Marie Rose) and I don't know, it just doesn't seem like this game is any more then an otaku pandering cash cow these days.

I tried out the PS4 core fighters to see the graphical differences and that was about it, those differences were pathetically minor.

Everyone else here, you guys can enjoy this game. It's not for me, I'm not faulting you for liking it or even paying money for DLC costumes. I happen to think the tactic is disgusting, I didn't like it in street fighter 4 either. Cosmetic DLC in a retail game should be virtually free, but that's just my old man brain talking.

Like you I got DOA5 Collectors edition. I paid for DOA5U and I dont regret spending on it cause I enjoyed the game.

Sure Team Ninja will spend hours and money making new outfits and not earn anything back for their work. Color swaps sure I could perhaps agree on making that free if its just that but when its newly ground up made outfits or with new designs on it no. They are on every right to charge for it and more when that helps them make even when the game doesnt sell as much as others.

Also if you're against a character simply don't use it. There are 34 or 35 characters in the roster and 1 character stopping you from enjoying the game is something silly. DOA has always been a pandering cash cow and them adding DLC doesnt make it any more or less than what it was on the past. You may dislike it and you may call us DLC defense force but we are simply being realistic about the situation.

I think it's a lot more than DoA2U, but that's probably inflated because there are tons more characters.
True.

Oh, I don't mean with DOA. DOA and KI are the only two games doing thsi kind of thing right (full roster packs vs being able to buy just what you want) I'm more bent out of shape by the ArcSys thing of putting the game out then like 2-3 characters post release for 15 bux a pop. It feels like a rip.

Also, as above the only DOA game I remember having a bazillion outfits is DOA2:U on xbox. DOA3 had like... 3 per character? With Kasumi and Ayane having like maybe 5? LR's non DLC costumes already dwarf everything else.
Oh, okay. ArcSys usually charges $8 a character, though, and if you know yourself well, it's pretty easy to know if the character is "your type". I've never bought one of their DLC characters, personally. If the character isn't standard, I just wait for the next version. There's plenty to play. :)

RM8

I've wanted to give DOA another chance for ages, can't wait for the PC release :]

Just one question, maybe a weird one. If I don't buy any DLC costumes, will I still encounter the silly bikinis in single player modes? Not that it'd be a deal breaker or anything, but it'd be nice if I could opt-out of the fanservice aspect of the game :p

Skilletor

I've wanted to give DOA another chance for ages, can't wait for the PC release :]

Just one question, maybe a weird one. If I don't buy any DLC costumes, will I still encounter the silly bikinis in single player modes? Not that it'd be a deal breaker or anything, but it'd be nice if I could opt-out of the fanservice aspect of the game :p

Some, yes. A lot of it is confined to content you still have to buy. If you don't like them, just look at the costume catalog descriptions and when somebody chooses them online, then it appears as the default 1p.

remz

Marie Rose is designed to appeal to people that want to see the body of a 10 year old girl sexualized.

Marie Rose does not have the body of a 10 year old girl. She might not be rocking the gifts of Honoka, or whoever else, but 10 year old girl is not even remotely close. She's just flat.

I dunno what the design intent was- probably the same as the usual moe loli whatever crap and honestly, the goth maid stuff is a bit much, but I don't think the game having body types other than mega busty is a bad thing. Variety!

Not every woman has big tits and ass. Just saying.
I'd be fine with Marie Rose if she was designed to look like an adult with A cup breasts. That'd be great.

As it stands, she apparently exists so they can market the game to people who fantasize about children.
vQalHfD.jpg

I have a hard time reconciling owning a game that includes this kind of material, frankly.

MrMephistoX

This, pretty much.

All of this DLC and the Core fighters version is the reason a game I love has had such prolonged support.

Get their shit together for DoA6? Nothing needs to change as far as DLC, imo. It's the perfect model.

This...I was presently surprised at the amount of included dlc and not locking stuff like Ayane's DOA2 outfit or NES Ryu behind a paywall so I'm perfectly fine with the model.

remz

I'd be fine with Marie Rose if she was designed to look like an adult with A cup breasts. That'd be great.
As it stands, she apparently exists so they can market the game to people who fantasize about children.

I have a hard time reconciling owning a game that includes this kind of material, frankly.
That costume is pretty gross when viewed through that lens. You could say it's just a cutesy thing though. Girls over 18 still wear cutesy stuff. Never seen her in anything other than her default when playing though.

DOA has unfortunately always had that shady underage girls thing going on since birth tho. Like how Kasumi and Ayane were 16 until recently.

MrMephistoX

Frankly I have way more of a problem with Sia's music videos than this: she looks more like a Disney princess to me than a 12 year old in a skin colored leotard running away fro Shia LeBouff.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Look at the many 30 something late 20 something people playing teenagers on movies and tv shows. Plus cosplayers also do that stuff and looks fine.

Hubb

"But the dev said she was a thousand year old dragon, dude. It's totally okay to fap."

Your mistake is thinking everyone wants to fap to her. I thought we were over these talks, but with some of the shit people keep saying I have to wonder how much projection is going on.

DR2K

Banned
I've seen plenty of 18 to 30 young petite looking women like Marie Rose. Legality isn't based on what a person looks like, it's age of consent. It's 16 in Japan and 17-18 in the U.S. depending on the state.

You probably have to download an optional catalog to even see it.

DLC defense force? This isn't a SFxT situation - this strictly cosmetic window-dressing isn't screwing anyone out of an optimal gameplay experience. I personally haven't bought a single DLC (other than the MMA gear back in the DOA5+ days), and it hasn't hampered my enjoyment of the game at all.

In fact, the game has so many free/in-game unlockable costumes that I'm still getting new shit for Ayane every day even after 50+ hours of playing with her these past few days.

"Tactic." Ha, good luck surviving this gen!

Top Bottom