• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5: Last Round |OT| Bouncing on new systems.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I will take some notes of some points you guys have made.

I haven't put much thought into it yet, but I agree with most stuff mentioned already.

Also want more trance/techno remixes, like this one from DOAU. I am a sucker for this stuff, and so glad they put the WO3 remixes in.

That reminds me that I trashed DOA5 Vanilla OST in the survey.

Ultimadrago

I said the music was ho-hum in quality, neither here nor there. I should have used more of the special soundtracks when playing Ultimate on PS3 as I'm guessing I missed the better tracks due to that.

Vazra

Yeah, I think the good ones that stand out to me are Mila's and Hitomi's themes.

I think the rap is what most people hate.

Stage music was boring and sometimes even awful, Character music was a mixed bag and dont get me starting on the credits theme of the Story Mode and the shit stain on the online lobby. Dont care how much the guy loves DOA that is trash.

Eolz

Whoops, was at the bottom of last page when I did my edit (for azuardo and others):

Edit: talked a lot about NG4 and DOAX3, said that another DOA spinoff would be nice, less Warriors from KT, RPGs would be nice.
Graphics are good but disappointing at the same time (great character models &1080p, but no AA & old textures). Sound is excellent. Stage design is okay, they should do like before, more interactivity, ceilings, verticality, etc.
Character design is excellent, but there should be as much for males and females, and more "interactions" (quotes, etc). Balance and game are overall good.
Need more updates on Steam version, share japanese links like Team Ninja does on their twitter. Don't listen too much to criticism when it's just "I don't like it!", but listen to what fanbases are saying (Ninja Gaiden), while still deciding on your own. Slower DLC release schedule, and more casual costumes, less bikinis (put them in DOAX3).

etc, etc

I actually think the music is pretty good (apart from the online one obviously). It was just disappointing that most of it wasn't really new.

Dantis

Stage music was boring and sometimes even awful, Character music was a mixed bag and dont get me starting on the credits theme of the Story Mode and the shit stain on the online lobby. Dont care how much the guy loves DOA that is trash.

Wooooah there, no need to diss Lotus Juice, man.

Added myself to da list. Also filled out most of the survey. Didn't really have the perspective of the series as a whole given that the 5 series and it's iterations are the only ones I've played at length, but I typed out what I thought. Hope somebody is actually reading them.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
The DOA2 soundtrack is SOOOO much better than any of the other noise coming out of this game. So glad I unlocked it.

(And yes the WO3 remixes are sublime too)

FHIZ

So, since this is the last week in February, I'd assume the first pack of the season pass covered costumes comes out this week? Strange there have been no images prior.

Moofers

I just filled out the survey and submitted it. After, it told me the Survey is Now Closed and that they'll treat my feedback with the utmost care.

I'm assuming if the survey was really closed, I wouldn't have been able to fill it out in the first place?

Moofers

How would I do this? :eek: I thought they can only be bought.

I did it by beating arcade mode a handful of times. I was playing Tag so I'd unlock maximum costumes.

Also, I think DOA5 has its share of good music. Helena's track in particular stands out (as it did in DOA2) but there are some other good ones in the mix. It feels like classic fighting game stuff. I did assign "Blazed Up Melopheme" to Sarah though, so I'd get to hear it. I also use the DOA1 character select music in the main menu/character select. Love it!

Ultimadrago

I just filled out the survey and submitted it. After, it told me the Survey is Now Closed and that they'll treat my feedback with the utmost care.

I'm assuming if the survey was really closed, I wouldn't have been able to fill it out in the first place?

Yeah, it's kind of like beating an older game and getting a "Game Over" at the end. I'm sure it's just another way of telling it's submitted.

Astral

Lol I actually like the rap that plays online. It's dumb but I like it. Helena's DOA2 theme and Ryu's Determination are the GOAT though.

Griss

I wrote about the stage quality being uneven and how awful the ground textures were and how just because the character style changed the stages didn't needed to change much. Talked about how they could implement more casual DLC to balance out the fanservice DLC and give male characters the same amount of care that they give to the female characters. (That also includes giving them fanservice outfits) Also suggested them adding a filter option so people could turn off outfits manually they didnt wanted to see which could help also ease people who dont want to see the fanservice outfits online while keeping but sides of the fans happy. Also suggested a more balanced approach to the promo making perhaps half promo casual and half promo with fan service just to keep things properly balanced.

I personally don't seem to have much complains about gameplay except maybe changing the properties on wake up kicks so I can actually punish them more and grabs that should go through but since at the last second someone does a slight movement that grapple and fall through despite seeing the hand touching the opponent. A few characters that need buffs and tweaks on their properties (Kokoro should get some tracking moves, Eliot needs better tools and more safety and same applies to Lisa to mention a few.)

Don't remember what else I wrote about but I went as detailed as I could be and that was a long ass time filling up all that stuff.

I simply said to localize more the FF games so I guess that works LOL ( I wish I could have played 2 and 4 on US since I dont do much imports nowadays)

Ahh also posted about the lack of information on the PC version and the way its being handled.

I have been writing paragraphs, but in general the points have been:

- Stage textures/AA

- Option for individual characters to have English/Japanese voice toggles as there are some I prefer in English to Japanese vice versa. (Or was this option always available and I never noticed it?)

- Less boring, one-dimensional interactions (though unique tag combos is a start). Fun and/or interesting setups (through Story and pre-battle) are actively welcomed.

- I am fine with as many fanservice outfits as they can muster, but demand more creative or unorthodox outfits (Casual, Sexy Racing, Overalls, Halloween 2014) and less boring typical outfits (Nurse, Training Gear, Bath+Bedtime, Bunny, Maids)

- More fluid animation

- Do more with the key art. Overall, it's bland and (not to make it a contest but) Street Fighter is a positive example in these remarks.

- Make. DOAX3.

I did follow Bayo's lead in commenting on the lack of active updates regarding the Steam version of Last Round. I want to be as consistently updated on it as possible.

I hadn't seen these comments before doing the survey but that's pretty much word for word the stuff I said. I gave them hell about the music, overabundance of DLC and poor communication with fans. I also made sure to praise them for what they get right - the gameplay, game balance, character design, costume design, art style

Also:
1. Hitomi
2. Rig
3. Kokoro
(I just wish I didn't find my favourite character the least attractive!)

Stages:
1. Zack Island
2. Flow
3. Hot Zone

As for game suggestions, I suggested "Dead or Alive: Beach Sports" (Watersports would NOT work as a name, lol) and suggested volleyball, beach football and jetskiing as the core features, and told them to look at Wii Sports Resort for an example of how to do it right. I fucking LOVE Wii Sports Resort. That with cute girls instead of bland Miis would be my game of the forever.

Moofers

So I forgot to say what I wrote in the survey:

-Love stages like Forest, Sakurai, and Lorelei/Haunted Lorelei. Was disappointed with how Forest looked blurry in DOA5U but very happy its fixed now. Love colorful levels and want to see more of those and not as many that are dark, industrial, or brown. More stages that feel alive!

-Love the ability to unlock old music from previous DOA titles. Specifically called out "Blazed Up Melopheme" and the original DOA 1 character select theme (which I now use in the main menu/char select) Trashed the song from the gym/boxing ring in DOA5 and talked about how it was boring and didn't have any character. Also mentioned that Helena's new track is awesome.

-No more childlike characters. One of the best things about DOA was that while the female characters are sexy and marketed as such, they are all grown adults and very womanly with varying body types. Marie Rose looks about 12 years old and a game with lingerie and swimsuits is no place for her. I realize not everyone here will love that opinion, but I like characters like Christie, Helena, Pai, etc. because they all look like women aged 18-34 and I got no problem whatsoever with the scandalous outfits for them. In fact, I love those!

-Talked about how I like the highly detailed DLC outfits like the Halloween sets are inspired and exciting, but things like maids and nurses are all sort of the same and a bit tired.

-Talked about wanting a DOA XBV game like the OG Xbox title and less like Xtreme 2.

-Asked for DOA6 but also stated that its important for the teams to be excited and passionate about the projects they are working on. I want them to feel that way and create new games if necessary because the passion will come through in the game and be better for everyone.

That's all I can remember right now. I really took my time with it, but dammit I forgot to ask for Fatal Frame Wii U to come to the states. That's my only regret.

Eolz

So, since this is the last week in February, I'd assume the first pack of the season pass covered costumes comes out this week? Strange there have been no images prior.

Team Ninja started talking about it on Twitter yes. It's just hard to communicate on this while trying to fix a game at the same time.
Really bad timing.

Yeah, it's kind of like beating an older game and getting a "Game Over" at the end. I'm sure it's just another way of telling it's submitted.

Wasn't sure as well, sent a mention to Koei Tecmo Europe to ask them. Those in NA can always try the same with KT NA.

Edit:
-No more childlike characters. One of the best things about DOA was that while the female characters are sexy and marketed as such, they are all grown adults and very womanly with varying body types. Marie Rose looks about 12 years old and a game with lingerie and swimsuits is no place for her. I realize not everyone here will love that opinion, but I like characters like Christie, Helena, Pai, etc. because they all look like women aged 18-34 and I got no problem whatsoever with the scandalous outfits for them. In fact, I love those!
I agree with the rest of your post, but I think it's nice Marie Rose was added, because she's different.
Don't think she looks 12 years old too, big exaggeration. I've met girls between 16-20 that had the same body type. Obviously she dresses and act like your typical animu younger character archetype though.
I love older looking characters too btw, for the same reason: variety.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Admittedly, it did take me quite a bit of research and confusion to wrap my head around the DLC. (The descriptors on the two $93 packs are fucking atrocious...especially for full game buyers wanting the lagging content)

Shocked that Jeff actually remembered Fate Douglas in the DOA lore, that is practically expanded fiction shit given he was never seen or playable in the Saturn/PS1 game.

I am at work and have not watched yet but I'm imagining endless sighs and eye-rolling at the breasts.

Nah, one of the rare QL's that won't outright piss you off. They do get steamy at the DLC, but speak generally positively of the game and modes. Barely spend much lipservice on the fanservice argument thankfully. Online was a complete failure for them though, didn't work at all. (I have similar problems still)

Astral

What are some Mila and/or Tina tips? The best I can get with Tina against some opponents is kick, kick, forward h+k, down grab.

Vazra

What are some Mila and/or Tina tips? The best I can get with Tina against some opponents is kick, kick, forward h+k, down grab.

With Tina I just bait them to attack me block and grab them most of the time.I do half of the combo so it confuses the opponent and proceed to new strings.

Mila I havent played much with her sadly.

ShinMaruku

When they say the survey is closed is they have submitted your information. It's probably a bad translation.

DOA always had a rich story but people are selective in what they will say on the game. Then are are people who say they don't care about the story, but I bet if it was good they'd respond in the first place. (I am of the view that all games have bad stories but that should not stop people from trying if they have the ambition)

I don't mess with Tina too much but Mila? Master he fake grapples and down grapples, she will force people to tech, where you can have an idea where they will be. It's a big reason why her position on the tier list is iffy because too few people actually put in work with her. She has guaranteed shit.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Online was a complete failure for them though, didn't work at all. (I have similar problems still)

I have yet to find a ranked match on PS4. Plenty of player lobbies available though, which is what I generally prefer anyway. It was like this for me with DOA5, fixed in Ultimate, and now has reverted back. :/

Eolz

Do the command trainings if you didn't yet :p.
But yeah, use throws with Tina (you can add one in most combos) and switch up styles (she's actually pretty good with most types of attacks, not only throws). For Mila, use her attack speed at close range as your advantage, use fake moves in the middle of combos and try to pin your opponents to do more damage. Edit: Mila's biggest problem is that you need to get her at close range to be really effective.
At least, that's how I play them.

Vazra

I have yet to find a ranked match on PS4. Plenty of player lobbies available though, which is what I generally prefer anyway. It was like this for me with DOA5, fixed in Ultimate, and now has reverted back. :/

Use the Throwdowns go on practice and you get matches easier there.

BadWolf

Apologies if this has already been answered, by why IS the marketing for this game so sleazy like they mention in the QL?

It's a pretty competent fighting game, right? So Is there a reason they decide to pander to the "pervert" (for lack of a better term) market rather than on the basis of its gameplay?

Probably where the money is.

Ferr986

Team Ninja started talking about it on Twitter yes. It's just hard to communicate on this while trying to fix a game at the same time.
Really bad timing.

Wasn't sure as well, sent a mention to Koei Tecmo Europe to ask them. Those in NA can always try the same with KT NA.

Edit:

I agree with the rest of your post, but I think it's nice Marie Rose was added, because she's different.
Don't think she looks 12 years old too, big exaggeration. I've met girls between 16-20 that had the same body type. Obviously she dresses and act like your typical animu younger character archetype though.
I love older looking characters too btw, for the same reason: variety.

tbh I found Marie's acting not that bad. It's Honoka the moe animu character.

Btw I found Marie really fun to use...

Also:
1. Hitomi
2. Rig
3. Kokoro
(I just wish I didn't find my favourite character the least attractive!)

Nonsense!

Apologies if this has already been answered, by why IS the marketing for this game so sleazy like they mention in the QL?

It's a pretty competent fighting game, right? So Is there a reason they decide to pander to the "pervert" (for lack of a better term) market rather than on the basis of its gameplay?

Because they seemingly get so much money selling sexy outfits.

Eolz

Probably where the money is.

This basically. Vanilla 5 had a way more serious marketing, and even Ultimate to an extent. They just saw that this didn't work to have a bigger userbase (unlike Core Fighters), and the DLC sold really well, even more when it was a bit less... classy.
It's really a difficult problem to solve, even if you divide it back between regular DOA and Xtreme again.

tbh I found Marie's acting not that bad. It's Honoka the moe animu character.

Btw I found Marie really fun to use...

Oh I agree. But both are typical archetypes really, just different.
Over-exaggerating, but Honoka is the joke character "big-breasted moe & a bit stupid schoolgirl", Marie is the typical "smart loli knowing how to get what she wants and using wrestling moves on the main character".
Over-exaggerating once again, but it's not hard to find comparisons in anime
nor is it particularly hard for the other characters tbh

X-Factor

Dead or Alive 5 (PS4) All pre-order costumes

I made a video of All exclusive DOA5 Last Round pre-order costumes from Amazon and gamestop/eb.
The video is also watchable in 1080p 60 frames per second using google chrome.

Dead or Alive 5 (PS4) All pre-order costumes VIDEO:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F1Kk4veUa4

ibh1C7huhsdogJ.jpg

ibzsrVBLkbS9Ax.jpg

ibqGmt9MqfEf2S.jpg

Griss

Nonsense!

Eh, I just think she has the worst body of all the girls. She used to be quite lithe and slim but now seems almost chunky. (As chunky as a toned athlete person can be, anyway.) Her thighs are so big that it makes her look just a little heavy rather than lithe and agile, and it also makes it look like she has no bum, which is super weird. She also doesn't have as much hip flare or hip-to-waist difference as the other girls, making her look a little less feminine and a little more heavy. The way the light falls on her stomach makes her look like she's not quite toned there. Her breasts seem way too big for her frame, and look quite like bolt-ons. And I don't really feel that way about any of the rest of the girls, so it's not just a 'lol DoA' thing. Her face is probably the blandest in the game, and when she opens her eyes wide she looks bovine and gormless rather than cute. Basically every other girl has a more attractive face, some extremely so (Nyo, Kokoro).

In terms of attractive bodies, Mila, Christie, Momiji and Leifang all have more appropriately slim-style bodies that would have suited Hitomi better than what she currently is, I feel. Helena and Rachel are a similarly curvy characters but unlike Hitomi I think they 'wear' those curves better, and they have more hip flare anyway, and were never a super slim character in the past. I don't know, I just don't like her design at all, and she's the only female I don't really like the look of. But because I play the game for the gameplay, she's still my fav as I love to play as her and know how to play her and have been doing so forever.

And yes, I have spent a silly amount time looking at these models. Why do you ask?
lol

EDIT: I think the fact that they had to change Hitomi's design due to fan backlash shows that they did struggle with what she was supposed to be, so I'm not exactly surprised.

Moofers

Well now that we're posting pics again I guess I gotta bow out of looking in here at work. :(

And the Giant Bomb QL isn't bad. They bag on the DLC but its all legitimate complaints about how confusing it all is. When they play the game and talk about it, its generally positive. They do a poor job of showing the stages though. They do two fights in arenas that look pretty similar, then two more fights in the damn circus stage variants. They did have a round in Lorelei though so thats cool. But still, no Forest, no End of the Earth, no Zack's Island?

Dead or Alive 5 (PS4) All pre-order costumes

I made a video of All exclusive DOA5 Last Round pre-order costumes from Amazon and gamestop/eb.
The video is also watchable in 1080p 60 frames per second using google chrome.

Dead or Alive 5 (PS4) All pre-order costumes VIDEO:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa6L9huVz38
Audio sadly goes out of sync, but great vid.

I think the new ninja costumes are some of the best costumes they've made. Kasumi's is fantastic. More costumes representative of the characters themselves are needed. That's going in me survey.

DarkOneX

Still loving the game, no issues here on PS4 so far, played it all weekend. One thing I really wish they brought over from DoA3 (and maybe previous ones I forget?) are the endings for each character. The story mode has a lot of cut scene stuff that's fine but I really hate not having proper endings for every character, they were very entertaining I thought and it's a huge peice missing in this game in my eyes.

Griss

Still loving the game, no issues here on PS4 so far, played it all weekend. One thing I really wish they brought over from DoA3 (and maybe previous ones I forget?) are the endings for each character. The story mode has a lot of cut scene stuff that's fine but I really hate not having proper endings for every character, they were very entertaining I thought and it's a huge peice missing in this game in my eyes.

Don't worry, I put that in the survey :)

We need an arcade mode like DoA4's again. Where you had random battles with a couple of set battles determined by your character popping up every so often, then a final battle (preferably not against a boss, though), and then an ending.

Some of the DoA4 endings were priceless. I can remember almost all of them by heart. Amazingly, the guys had even better endings than the girls. Brad's acid trip, Zack's stop-motion matinee adventure, Eliot's time-lapse training - so much good stuff. Leifang's train mishap probably takes the prize for 'most classically DoA' moment, though.

X-Factor

Thanks for pointing that out. The audio should be fine after the second fight. It was a problem with my elgato hd 60.

Audio sadly goes out of sync, but great vid.

I think the new ninja costumes are some of the best costumes they've made. Kasumi's is fantastic. More costumes representative of the characters themselves are needed. That's going in me survey.

Top Bottom