• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5: Last Round |OT| Bouncing on new systems.

One thing we can all agree on for DoA6... if casual costumes return, they need to consult a damn stylist before approving them. So many of these outfits clash for no reason. Red top, beige shorts, and black shoes... ugh.

If you're on Core Fighters the DOA2/3 music must be bought. Unlocked by playing modes in full version.

I did it by beating arcade mode a handful of times. I was playing Tag so I'd unlock maximum costumes.

Also, I think DOA5 has its share of good music. Helena's track in particular stands out (as it did in DOA2) but there are some other good ones in the mix. It feels like classic fighting game stuff. I did assign "Blazed Up Melopheme" to Sarah though, so I'd get to hear it. I also use the DOA1 character select music in the main menu/character select. Love it!

Ah okay thanks I'm playing Core Fighters so I would have to buy it alright.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
One thing we can all agree on for DoA6... if casual costumes return, they need to consult a damn stylist before approving them. So many of these outfits clash for no reason. Red top, beige shorts, and black shoes... ugh.

forvqb-l-610x610-shorts-hhhh-tank-clothes-red-crop+tops--high+waisted+short-beige-fasion.jpg

Ferr986

Eh, I just think she has the worst body of all the girls. She used to be quite lithe and slim but now seems almost chunky. (As chunky as a toned athlete person can be, anyway.) Her thighs are so big that it makes her look just a little heavy rather than lithe and agile, and it also makes it look like she has no bum, which is super weird. She also doesn't have as much hip flare or hip-to-waist difference as the other girls, making her look a little less feminine and a little more heavy. The way the light falls on her stomach makes her look like she's not quite toned there. Her breasts seem way too big for her frame, and look quite like bolt-ons. And I don't really feel that way about any of the rest of the girls, so it's not just a 'lol DoA' thing. Her face is probably the blandest in the game, and when she opens her eyes wide she looks bovine and gormless rather than cute. Basically every other girl has a more attractive face, some extremely so (Nyo, Kokoro).

In terms of attractive bodies, Mila, Christie, Momiji and Leifang all have more appropriately slim-style bodies that would have suited Hitomi better than what she currently is, I feel. Helena and Rachel are a similarly curvy characters but unlike Hitomi I think they 'wear' those curves better, and they have more hip flare anyway, and were never a super slim character in the past. I don't know, I just don't like her design at all, and she's the only female I don't really like the look of. But because I play the game for the gameplay, she's still my fav as I love to play as her and know how to play her and have been doing so forever.

And yes, I have spent a silly amount time looking at these models. Why do you ask?
lol

EDIT: I think the fact that they had to change Hitomi's design due to fan backlash shows that they did struggle with what she was supposed to be, so I'm not exactly surprised.

I dunno, I find her the most attractive of the cast honestly. Mainly because she looks good without having that supermodel face from Helena or Tina or the overcutesy face of Kasumi or Kokoro. She is a midway of both styles and I like that (more like... next door girl?).
Also I don't see any of the body flaws you mentioned (like the hip thing), but of course everyone have their tastes on that lol

Gotta agree though that her beta model looked bad.

Still loving the game, no issues here on PS4 so far, played it all weekend. One thing I really wish they brought over from DoA3 (and maybe previous ones I forget?) are the endings for each character. The story mode has a lot of cut scene stuff that's fine but I really hate not having proper endings for every character, they were very entertaining I thought and it's a huge peice missing in this game in my eyes.

Gotta say I have some random freezes when I enable throwdows on PS4. I say that because it seems like its mostly XOne problem so I dunno if it's just me...

Btw, Im thinking about Momiji for my second main (after Hitomi).

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
How can you even compare the girls from before and now? DOA 5 is the only time they've ever had bodies that are different from one another outside of basic color. And they actually have shading and skin definition to the models now with the sweat and everything even if its not advanced with current gen effects. Back then they were just plastic

Dead or Alive 4 CG endings have aged poorly for most of the part.

No thank you, i don't want to see how Kasumi has a dream she's a mermaid or how Leifang kills a man by kicking him out a train window for touching her tits.

Outside of the obvious improvements, i think DOA6 needs to bring back 60fps intro's and outros and story cutscenes. Having that 30fps jarring change is really annoying. It makes sense when for 360 and PS3(even if it doesnt really), but next gen should not have a problem with 60fps closeups and real time cut-scenes like in story mode

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
No thank you, i don't want to see how Kasumi has a dream she's a mermaid or how Leifang kills a man by kicking him out a train window for touching her tits.

Outside of the obvious improvements, i think DOA6 needs to bring back 60fps intro's and outros. Having that 30fps jarring change is really annoying

If they want to make CG endings look at the endings of DOA3. Those were good and serious for most of the part. Not here for the extremely anime bs 4 did with endings plus Brad Wong Acid Trip. (The Ninjas endings and Helena ending were great tho)

Finally getting some online achievements. I've been just sitting in free training for the past 3 hours and I'm getting non stop throw down requests suddenly :D

And wtf, Marie Rose lacks any sexy costumes =\

I had no idea that this Marie Rose character was in the game. The first time I saw her I was like... "uh... oh... ugh".

Can I pay to have her removed?

Are the showstopper costumes available for use now?

I put in my code at lunch and got the black/gold variants for people, which apparently meant that the dlc was installed correctly

But I don't have access to the actual showstopper stuff

Iirc Costume catalogue 3 shows up as installed in the "view downloads window" but I don't have any of em
This was a best buy pre-order so I should also have ninja stuff I think? I don't seem to have any of it

Squire

Banned
Took the survey.

Told them the lolis are gross, the online sucks, I want them to add customization, and that even though I probably sound harsh, I love the game and just want them to do better.

I almost told them to do customization and repeat the F2P with XBV3, since that game is inevitable, but I figure they'll figure that out on their own.

I asked for DOA6 with customization, instead. Should've mentioned they should do it like VF5 though.

Took the survey.

Told them the lolis are gross, the online sucks, I want them to add customization, and that even though I probably sound harsh, I love the game and just want them to do better.

I almost told them to do customization and repeat the F2P with XBV3, since that game is inevitable, but I figure they'll figure that out on their own.

I asked for DOA6 with customization, instead. Should've mentioned they should do it like VF5 though.

Lol, it sounds like the DOA series is the opposite of what you want completely =\

Hubb

Took the survey.

I'm having a hard time telling the difference between Marie Rose and your avatar. The only real difference is Anne is full on anime.

Squire

Banned
I'm having a hard time telling the difference between Marie Rose and your avatar. The only real difference is Anne is full on anime.

The difference is Anne looks her age, which is probably 15/16 and is fully clothed with proper body proportions.

Marie is 18, looks 12, and is dressed in skimpy costumes and sexualized.

One is a loli - a character designed with the specific goal of serving a fetish that DOA did not previously acknowledge - and the other isn't. That is the difference.

Edit: You pro-Marie/Honoka people are doing an awful job at defending these characters. You know the difference between female characters that are teenagers and look the part and sexualized pre-teens or "lolis". You're going to need a better strategy in arguing the merit of these characters and why they're not gross. Making false equivalencies and playing stupid isn't working.

Hubb

The difference is Anne looks her age, which is probably 15/16 and is fully clothed with proper body proportions.

One is a loli - a character designed with the specific goal of serving a fetish that DOA did not previously acknowledge - and the other isn't. That is the difference.

Ah, yes the leather catsuit (where she magically grows huge breasts) and her weapon being a whip is not sexualized at all. I'd argue if someone drew Marie Rose as an anime character it would look identical to Anne. Persona 5 is my most anticipated game of 2015/16, but the characters look the same to me.

Edit: You pro-Marie/Honoka people are doing an awful job at defending these characters. You know the difference between female characters that are teenagers and look the part and sexualized pre-teens or "lolis". You're going to need a better strategy in arguing the merit of these characters and why they're not gross. Making false equivalencies and playing stupid isn't working.

I don't care about Honoka one way or another, and I don't care what kind of costume either of them get. I enjoy Marie Rose's play style, and unless they clone her moveset to someone else (or at least the minuet), I'd like to see her in DoA6. She isn't gross to me because I don't sit here and fantasize about her. I find her moveset fun and I'd like to continue on with the series.

Lol at your false equivalencies comment though.

ShinMaruku

Assumptions on either would be problematic. Only thing I will put against Marie is she's a troll.

If you ask some both of them would creep people out.

I guess one thing to ask is, who cares? It's a character in a game where they beat each other up. I really don't see the big deal. I know girls who are 18 and actually look like 12/13. It's not uncommon.

Squire

Banned
I guess one thing to ask is, who cares? It's a character in a game where they beat each other up. I really don't see the big deal. I know girls who are 18 and actually look like 12/13. It's not uncommon. Once again, I think it's something that really isn't a big deal.

It is to me, so I mentioned it in the survey.

I dunno, in real life "looking the age" is ambiguous as all hell. If the standard 18 year old is "looking old enough hehehe" what about all the people who fall outside that looking below or older than that age? Simple fact is there is not any one standard look for an age, never has been, never will be. I'm 27 in a few weeks and still fucking look 18 which is more depressing than awesome.

I don't buy a character needing to have a certain height, proportions, or bust size to be appropriate, same way in real life. So what if people like loli's isn't the whole appeal being all super cutesy but older than the appearance, but not actually underage because thats gross?
serious question. cause I have no clue where you guys are trying to go with this

Also if we don't want DoA pandering to different niche/fetishes... then fuck I mind as well give up on getting my gal girl with a big ass in DoA6 right now I guess.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Ah, yes the leather catsuit (where she magically grows huge breasts) and her weapon being a whip is not sexualized at all. I'd argue if someone drew Marie Rose as an anime character it would look identical to Anne. Persona 5 is my most anticipated game of 2015/16, but the characters look the same to me.

Lol at your false equivalencies comment though.

Anna already had that chest under her clothes if you look closely. -cough- That's all i wanted to correct you on. She's a catwoman jewel thief stereotype, its par the course

Eolz

Come on. I usually sort of defend Marie Rose, but "Anne" (is that her official name) looks nothing like her and doesn't "magically grows huge breasts".

Marie acts like a loli, but isn't one either. Not the same body proportions. She's smaller than the rest of the cast, and is relatively "flat" (for lack of a better term), but she's not a loli. She's probably not 18, but let's not do as if every 16-18 years old girl had the same body type. It probably depends on every poster's region, but I (and other posters) have already met people like this (without the animu face obviously) when I was younger
(sorry I don't frequent high-schools anymore)

On another note, I really wish this "debate" would stop, from both sides. Like or don't like her? Fine, we don't have to have pointless conversations going nowhere about this subject anymore unless there's something new to add (presence in DOAX3? costumes?), it's been months since she's here anyway, and she's apparently here to stay.

Hubb

Come on. I usually sort of defend Marie Rose, but "Anne" (is that her official name) looks nothing like her and doesn't "magically grows huge breasts".

Look at her Wiki page, and then look at her in a catsuit. Those aren't the same sizes.

Korigama

Just what some people are assuming right now. Anzu appears to be more correct, but since she looks more like a foreigner than Japanese in spite of having a Japanese first and last name (both written in Kanji no less, as opposed to katakana as used with foreigners who aren't naturalized citizens), coupled with the fact that none of the Japanese characters in the series to this point have had blonde hair and blue eyes, there's something of a dispute.

Squire

Banned

Marie acts like a loli, but isn't one either. Not the same body proportions. She's smaller than the rest of the cast, and is relatively "flat" (for lack of a better term), but she's not a loli. She's probably not 18, but let's not do as if every 16-18 years old girl had the same body type. It probably depends on every poster's region, but I (and other posters) have already met people like this (without the animu face obviously) when I was younger
(sorry I don't frequent high-schools anymore)

On another note, I really wish this "debate" would stop, from both sides. Like or don't like her? Fine, we don't have to have pointless conversations going nowhere about this subject anymore unless there's something new to add (presence in DOAX3? costumes?), it's been months since she's here anyway, and she's apparently here to stay.

Sure, I was just saying what I put in the survey. I can say I don't plan to respond to any idiotic questions like, "And what exactly bothers you???" going forward.

ShinMaruku

Depending on tone I would not quite mark that as an idiotic questions. Some people have different backgrounds. We can't saying one way of looking at things is wrong or right. What you can say is the Marie is pandering and that can be a issue.

Team Ninja keeps avoiding my tweets asking about why Marie Rose has no sexy outfits like all the other girls if shes really 18 like they claim.

Top Bottom