• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5: Last Round |OT| Bouncing on new systems.

Pointless you coming in and bitching about something you never intended to buy, then, wasn't it?

I'm assuming he or she wanted them but not at that price? People can bitch about it if they like. I guess I'm the same except I already accepted the fact I'll never be rich enough to buy them, lol.

Synth

Pointless you coming in and bitching about something you never intended to buy, then, wasn't it?

To be fair, may he'd intend to buy it, if the grand total wasn't more than 4 times the cost of the game itself.

I mean, it's all cosmetic, so it's not a a catastrophe or anything, but I definitely know I went from "I'm going get all the costumes too" to "what the HELL!" after seeing the prices.

I'm assuming he or she wanted them but not at that price? People can bitch about it if they like. I guess I'm the same except I already accepted the fact I'll never be rich enough to buy them, lol.

No mention of price. Came across to me as bitching about the amount of it. If it is price, sure, he can bitch all he wants.

Griss

I think you can support Team Ninja selling a lot of DLC to support the game while still criticising a lot of the ways they've gone about it.

Pros:
1. We get some great costumes that otherwise wouldn't be in the game;
2. There's now a massive and diverse range of costumes for every(female)one - remember we launched with about 8 per character (4 for guys) in vanilla. (And it felt like plenty at the time!);
3. Getting fans involved in designing them - that was a fun, exciting bit of PR;
4. It keeps a lot of the racier stuff out of the game for people who don't want to see it;
5. And it means a game with a small fanbase produces profit and thus keeps TN in business to make a sequel. They win, we win.

Cons:
1. They said characters wouldn't be DLC. They went back on that, and that's not cool. If they're making so much on costumes, they could have released Marie, Phase 4 and Nyotengu with only one or two costumes and made money on selling the rest. This is my biggest beef with them. They said one thing and did another.

2. Confusing: After all of these different game releases, and all this DLC for each game, sold either in packs or by single costume (or in megabundles), it's impossible to deny that this is ridiculously confusing by now. They really need a spreadsheet or something on their website. I kept one for myself during Ultimate with all of the DLC listed. I shouldn't feel like I need to do that. It shouldn't take 10 minutes to hunt down the DLC I want on PSN because there's 500 things all jumbled together. (This is partially Sony's fault - their system does not handle large amounts of DLC well.)

3. Laziness / character issues - One of the great parts about DoA is how strongly defined each character feels. When all the girls are getting identical fetishwear, well, that reduces each's sense of identity. They become 'blonde clotheshorse', 'brunette clotheshorse' etc. It's also typically a lazy-ish reuse of costumes. (Although, to be fair, never just a simple copy paste across all 13 females.) But it's these bland fetish content packs are what hurt the game. Stuff like the casual collection or halloween stuff is perfect.

4. The price. I realise they want to make money, but 2 euros for a single costume is insane, either taken on it's own or considering there are so many costumes now. Even factoring in packs, I believe it would have cost about 550 euros to get all the DLC for Ultimate at one stage. There's a point where things get ridiculous and they clearly passed it. There's also a point where you have so much product to sell that you need to reduce price and try to sell a higher volume. Right now the costumes are just silly expensive, and as such I refuse to buy them.

5. Release - They just can't get these costumes up on the store on time or in order.

Synth

No mention of price. Came across to me as bitching about the amount of it. If it is price, sure, he can bitch all he wants.

I'd think it would be common sense to assume that people wouldn't be bitching at the amount of it if you could by the Ultimate Content Set and season pass super cheap... even if someone explicitly says "holy shit! have you seen the amount of DLC this game has? it's a piss take!!", they're almost certainly saying that as a result of how much it'd cost to own it all.

I'd think it would be common sense to assume that people wouldn't be bitching at the amount of it if you could by the Ultimate Content Set and season pass super cheap... even if someone explicitly says "holy shit! have you seen the amount of DLC this game has? it's a piss take!!", they're almost certainly saying that as a result of how much it'd cost to own it all.

You'd be surprised. People like to bitch about DLC without looking at its function, particularly in this game. Like I say, I agree people can bitch about the price.

Pros and Cons

I agree with everything except for the characters. I'm pretty sure what they meant by saying 'no dlc characters' was no on-disc DLC like street fighter x capcom and other stuff. I'm glad they made new characters ages after release.

You'd be surprised. People like to bitch about DLC without looking at its function, particularly in this game. Like I say, I agree people can bitch about the price.

Ah ok, fair enough.

I feel like the way they were doing it with DOA5 (in packs) was a good balance of price vs value, though I also see the value in selling them individually for those who only want certain characters' costumes, especially with Core Fighters being a thing. As said already, though, it's creating a mess. At least with LR on the PS4 the way they sorted the DLC in the store worked out fantastic as you can view it per character, per pack, per theme or in one big chunk.

As much as I like all the stuff they've added, I also feel like maybe they've flooded things a bit. That and the casual/intimate outfit they put out for Ayane was my favorite from DOA2/2U and they made it slutty in a bad way.

I wish i could toogle some costumes randomness or not

There are some costumes i love and some i really despise.
i Wish i could not see them when doing arcade, time attack or survival.

Also , please let me change the wait timer during private lobbies.
I have 30+ costumes to choose from + the detail of the costume and the game ( on PS4 ) still take time to load the preview.

I wish i could have more time.

eMpTy23

4. The price. I realise they want to make money, but 2 euros for a single costume is insane, either taken on it's own or considering there are so many costumes now. Even factoring in packs, I believe it would have cost about 550 euros to get all the DLC for Ultimate at one stage. There's a point where things get ridiculous and they clearly passed it. There's also a point where you have so much product to sell that you need to reduce price and try to sell a higher volume. Right now the costumes are just silly expensive, and as such I refuse to buy them.

Is the price really insane? I mean, I think it's quite reasonable. Look at the price for cosmetic DLC à la skins for games like League of Legends. They can cost like $20. The recent game, EVOLVE or whatever, is $5 per skin.

As someone who hates spending money, I'm ecstatic at the price.

ShinMaruku

I think for DOAX3 they should price new bikinis as $.99 and watch sales rise. Hopefully with DOAX3 they can go ham with the dlc thing and ease off on the other things. Although prices for the outfits are not terrible.

Synth

Is the price really insane? I mean, I think it's quite reasonable. Look at the price for cosmetic DLC à la skins for games like League of Legends. They can cost like $20. The recent game, EVOLVE or whatever, is $5 per skin.

As someone who hates spending money, I'm ecstatic at the price.

It depends what you're comparing it to I guess. On one hand you can point at Evolve (which sounds like a horrible pricing model for DLC), and on the other hand you can see it as they've just released a bunch of Ninja outfits costing nearly the same price as a full Killer Instinct season.

Hubb

I think for DOAX3 they should price new bikinis as $.99 and watch sales rise. Hopefully with DOAX3 they can go ham with the dlc thing and ease off on the other things. Although prices for the outfits are not terrible.

I don't think we will ever see DLC outside of bundles below 99 cents. I can't believe Avatars are still 59 cents. Both Sony and the developer make little to nothing below that price point.

It depends what you're comparing it to I guess. On one hand you can point at Evolve (which sounds like a horrible pricing model for DLC), and on the other hand you can see it as they've just released a bunch of Ninja outfits costing nearly the same price as a full Killer Instinct season.

A better example, though still not the best one, would be something like Train Simulator. That game has over 200 pieces of DLC all priced very expensively. The point is you aren't suppose to buy it all. It is a-la-carte, you only buy the things you really want. You don't need any costumes, let alone all of them and this is coming from someone who does buy them. They have released costumes I'd never use, so why am I going to buy them? There are characters I will never use, so why am I going to buy costumes for them?

Some people may play all the characters, some people may want all the costumes. If they can afford it, or feel it is worth it, they can buy all the costumes they want till their heart is content. But there is no way TN is going to give you a season pass for $15 when the costumes cost $2 buy themselves. They will also never go below $1 individually.

eMpTy23

A better example, though still not the best one, would be something like Train Simulator. That game has over 200 pieces of DLC all priced very expensively. The point is you aren't suppose to buy it all. It is a-la-carte, you only buy the things you really want.

I like it that way. I don't think it would be as fun owning them all, but maybe I'm weird.

Synth

A better example, though still not the best one, would be something like Train Simulator. That game has over 200 pieces of DLC all priced very expensively. The point is you aren't suppose to buy it all. It is a-la-carte, you only buy the things you really want. You don't need any costumes, let alone all of them and this is coming from someone who does buy them. They have released costumes I'd never use, so why am I going to buy them? There are characters I will never use, so why am I going to buy costumes for them?

Some people may play all the characters, some people may want all the costumes. If they can afford it, or feel it is worth it, they can buy all the costumes they want till their heart is content. But there is no way TN is going to give you a season pass for $15 when the costumes cost $2 buy themselves. They will also never go below $1 individually.

Bsically all it comes down to is that the price is what it is, because it's what people will be willing to pay for it. The nature of DoA's DLC makes it easier to sell in such quantities at these prices, compared to if the same thing was attempted in many other games. There's nothing wrong with this really... but we have to accept that these are very high margin offerings. They're not priced this way because the work required to produce them necessitates it. KI provides characters, with different costumes, and stages/music for a similar cost as a single costume set on DoA5.. and in some cases like this recent Ninja set, there's a whole lot of reusable assets.

As for not needing to own everything. That's true, but at the same time it's definitely not unusual for people to want to do so. I'd want the costumes even for characters I don't play as, as they still provide variety when playing against the AI for example. There's only so many times I can stand seeing those Santa costumes, and anything that lowers their chance of being selected is a plus for me, lol. There's also the constant reminder of the content you don't have each time you select a character. In many ways despite them being optional extras, they often don't feel that way in the way they're presented. Buying a la carte is unappealing, as by the time I've bought 4 or so characters' sets, I've kinda screwed myself financially. There also doesn't seem to be a per character season pass style option, so unless you're willing to wait for all the content for that character to be released, you'd have to buy it all individually, which only makes it even more expensive. The a la carte option is only really much use if you basically like one or two characters tops.

Hubb

The a la carte option is only really much use if you basically like one or two characters tops.

Which is why it works great for me. Don't get me wrong, I'd love cheaper stuff. It isn't like I enjoy spending the money that I do buying costumes. I'd just rather more costumes come out and I skip them if I don't like them, instead of no costumes coming out at all. I know this is where they make their money, and if it means a continuation of the series I am happy to see it continue. It would be one thing if they didn't offer a decent amount of "free" costumes, but they do.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
WARNING (1/3): DOA5 Last Round (All platforms). Pls DO NOT play Tutorial Mode Lesson 40.8 and 40.9 #DOA5LR

WARNING (1/3): DOA5 Last Round (All platforms). Pls DO NOT play Tutorial Mode Lesson 40.8 and 40.9 #DOA5LR
pole_dance_fail.gif

Nori Chan

The tweets you are linking to are from last week...

Unless you're quoting for others to see

Sorry, didn't see someone suffered the glitch

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
http://www.insanos.com.br/img/pole_dance_fail.gif[IMG][IMG]http://www.insanos.com.br/img/pole_dance_fail.gif[IMG][IMG]http://www.insanos.com.br/img/pole_dance_fail.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

Did the Xbox One version get that patched or not? If yes where the hell is the other versions patches?

Hope they say something soon about it.

[quote="Nori Chan, post: 154113638"][s]The tweets you are linking to are from last week...

Unless you're quoting for others to see[/s]

Sorry, didn't see someone suffered the glitch[/QUOTE]

Quoting them to remind people. I havent heard yet if that has been fixed on Xbox One version since that one got a patch. PS4 still seems to get the glitch. I didnt get the glitch but I use English subs so there shouldnt be issues with that.

vall03

Fuck the people at work who pressured me on the game, ended up downloading Core Fighters on PS3 and only bought Marie Rose, what have I done?!

But to be honest, I have no idea what to say about the Free game and having to purchase characters as DLC, but as a casual player, I think its kinda fine. Its not like I'm playing all characters anyway.

Velurian

This game needs a demo. All games do.
Having grown up on Tekken mainly I really want to try it before commiting to buying it on steam.
Whatever happened to games having demos...

big_z

if I download the free version of this does it add itself to the trophies list?

I know you cant unlock trophies without paying for the basic pack but I don't want a blank game on there if I don't care for what I play in the free version.

system11

Is there a season pass for new content on the PS4? All i've found on the net relates to the Xbox versions.

There's supposed to be, but it's missing in Europe. SCEE.
Some of the pack prices seem to be wrong or are more expensive than their XB1 counterparts too. SCEE.

Ferr986

The fuck with people kicking me out of the room before even starting to fight... Can't you just make a private room if you don't want me in?

vato_loco

I'm LOVING this game. I'm kicking ass in the lower difficulties, mostly because I can't parry for shard, and because sometimes the CPU just gets in the zone and I can't defend myself for long periods of time.

But damn if this isn't a fun game.

I do have a small gripe, though. The PS4, and I presume the XOne version, is still too pixelated on some areas. I mean come on, it's next generation, the ass, for example, should look much better. I'm sure the PC version will address this (or modders will), but if The Order can look like that, then I call bullshit on Kasumi's non-round ass.

SHarris78

Anyone link me to a guide (or any help really) on reversals? I'm not very good at the game (playing on normal) and when someone gets a combo going, despite sometimes pressing the correct reversal buttons very rarely does it come off.

Is it mostly guesswork, as punches/kicks come so fast and frequently it seems nigh on impossible to predict whats level of attack is coming next.

Also, can you reverse throws/grabs?

xion4360

And on reflection, fuck companies trying to engage with customers via Twitter, this should be in their website FAQ by now in the 'known issues' section.

It is on the game site, but its also good to engage with customers via twitter, word spreads much faster that way.

Anyone link me to a guide (or any help really) on reversals? I'm not very good at the game (playing on normal) and when someone gets a combo going, despite sometimes pressing the correct reversal buttons very rarely does it come off.

Is it mostly guesswork, as punches/kicks come so fast and frequently it seems nigh on impossible to predict whats level of attack is coming next.

Also, can you reverse throws/grabs?

My advice would be to learn strings and watch the opponent, if you see a move coming then go for it. There are situations when you cannot counter, like critical burst, and some stuns. If counters are an issue for you then focus more on blocking as countering incorrectly opens you up to more damage. as for throws, most normal throws and some combo throws can be broken, you can always try to break them since it wont matter one way or the other if you dont know which can and can't be broken. Just press throw at the same time they throw you to break it, or try and beat their timing during combo throws. The game has a fantastic tutorial that guide's you throws this and other more advanced techniques in the training section.

Top Bottom