• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 |OT| Put a little bounce in your sidestep!

I always thought it was hatred that Kasumi is the full-blooded female offspring that Ayane wishes she could be, and Hayate is the leader to which Ayane devotes herself. She tries to overcome her blood with loyalty to the clan. That's why she gets so mad when Kasumi betrays her duties to the clan and runs off after Hayate. Kasumi just throws away everything Ayane would kill to have.

Ayane never seemed, to me anyway, to hate Kasumi just because of jealousy. Ayane is constantly calling Kasumi a traitor. You can see in DoA2U intro that the two got along when they were young. The divide came, in my mind, as they grew older and Kasumi was treated better than Ayane because of the way Ayane was conceived.

Pretty typical manga stuff, imo.
Thanks, Skilletor, you just reminded me how much I miss the CG cutscenes. Uuugn, that was one of my favorites.

Skilletor

Thanks, Skilletor, you just reminded me how much I miss the CG cutscenes. Uuugn, that was one of my favorites.

I don't miss CG cutscenes, but some character development would be nice. Not just, "I see this person, this is the reason to fight, now we fight," cutscenes.

All costumes for the 2nd pack from FSD, nothing for Ayane T_T

rSok4.jpg

coRTv.jpg

XpxOw.jpg

3ooPt.jpg

tgWII.jpg

These all look amazing. Couldnt have hoped for better outfits really. Cant wait to see them from the back ;)
Even Helena, who usually dresses pretty conservatively, has a sexy outfit to complement her beautiful face. Her fighting style still looks pretty boring but I'll be tempted to use her, at least a little bit, with her looking that good.
I always loved that black Lei Fang dress but not the look of Lei Fang. Now I get the best of both worlds with Lisa wearing it.
Looking forward to that patch, not that many Aussies are playing DoA5 but Im hoping it will make international connections noticeably better too.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Itagaki kind of phoned in his last few games though (NG2, DOAX2, DOA4): Hayashi was only guilty of trying and failing to make NG3 appeal to western audiences like most misguided Japanese devs this gen: by all accounts the Wii U version is a much better game. I think DOA5 shows he's learned from his mistakes.

DOA5 is Team DOA, not Team Ninja Dog. Hayashit has nothing to do with DOA5. Please don't insult the DOA5 team like that.

Also what the hell is going on in this thre--*sees bitchiness and shitting on Hayate*--Oh, you gurls. So easy to manipulate but I love it. <3

Skill said:
The divide came, in my mind, as they grew older and Kasumi was treated better than Ayane because of the way Ayane was conceived.

Kinda, yes. The divide came after Ayane learned about her birth and being linked to Hayate/Kasumi. But because she wasn't from the same father as Kasumi/Hayate the village basically gave her to the Hajin Mon sect.

That rift is mostly the village (and well, DOATEC's obviously) fault.

Giolon

Are you all ready for a mind breaker? There's a 4th underwear color. Press A+ X + Y (Triangle, X, Square) at the same time.
Only applied to some characters (i.e. Leifang) Read it online somewhere. I only knew about the single button presses.

raven777

Are you all ready for a mind breaker? There's a 4th underwear color. Press A+ X + Y (Triangle, X, Square) at the same time.
Only applied to some characters (i.e. Leifang) Read it online somewhere. I only knew about the single button presses.

I thought u only needed to press Triangle + X

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Say, in an effort to more fully understand DOA's system evolution I'm wondering:

What are some of the fundamental changes between DoA 4, DoA Dimensions, and DoA 5? I've been poking around but can't find a lot of hard info on DoA Dimensions (heh) especially.

A.E Suggs

These all look amazing. Couldnt have hoped for better outfits really. Cant wait to see them from the back ;)
Even Helena, who usually dresses pretty conservatively, has a sexy outfit to complement her beautiful face. Her fighting style still looks pretty boring but I'll be tempted to use her, at least a little bit, with her looking that good.
I always loved that black Lei Fang dress but not the look of Lei Fang. Now I get the best of both worlds with Lisa wearing it.
Looking forward to that patch, not that many Aussies are playing DoA5 but Im hoping it will make international connections noticeably better too.

Pretty much all the ones I liked. Especially the lisa with leifang dress and tina cat costume.

Say, in an effort to more fully understand DOA's system evolution I'm wondering:

What are some of the fundamental changes between DoA 4, DoA Dimensions, and DoA 5? I've been poking around but can't find a lot of hard info on DoA Dimensions (heh) especially.

I never played DoA:D But in DoA4 there was no sidestep system like the ones we have now. There was no critical burst and no uncounterable stuns.
Strings also tended to be alot more unsafe then they are now so you could easily throw punish most of them, Most characters tend to now have a safe string ender.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

DoA4 and Dimensions are basically DoA4.1 (X-box patch)->4.2

DoA5 removes the guessing game that DoA4 had for instance in a major change.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
DoA4 and Dimensions are basically DoA4.1 (X-box patch)->4.2

DoA5 removes the guessing game that DoA4 had for instance in a major change.

I do have the DoA5 guide (*waves to the Dogg*), but if I might ask, what exactly interrupts the DoA4 guessing game? The existence of safe string enders as said above?

Skilletor

I do have the DoA5 guide (*waves to the Dogg*), but if I might ask, what exactly interrupts the DoA4 guessing game? The existence of safe string enders as said above?

There are less things that stun you, which eliminates the need to counter so much. Counters in general are nerfed so much that it actually becomes more dangerous to do them, especially vs. certain characters like Tina.

DoA4 introduced the stun threshold. For the attacker, the only way to get real damage was to get to the end of the stun threshold and launch for a juggle. Unfortunately for the attacker, the opponent could guess right and do tons of damage to you before the attacker could do any real damage.

DoA5 introduced more unholdable situations overall, more guaranteed damage for the attacker from normal hit launchers and walls. Just in general rewarding the attacker while eliminating some of the guessing game.

It's still extremely prevalent, but nowhere near as bad as it was in DoA4.

Edit: Omg, this patch is great. 4 bars was really good. 3 bars was muuuuuuuuuuuuch better than 3 bars before.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

DOA4 its pretty much the Hold and Stun game. Guessing Holds rewards people to easily in DOA4 and that easily looks bad in term of a competitive game. ALso the game relied heavily on stuns which made most of the matches a bore to watch.

DOA Dimensions its DOA 4.2 but the counter system its more simplified than 4 IIRC making it even more rewarding torwards random guessing.
DLC is up in JP store

4 costumes per set, each cost 500 yen

the whole set is 1300yen

So it might be 8-10 bucks in US...

You can cancel string and then throw a fast move in hope that your opponent has reacted slowly.

You can purposely bait counters and throw them for massive damage. Or you can simply outguess them and do a move that is not the the counter option that they guessed.

The problem most players had with DoA4 at the top level of play if the fact the counters recovered so quickly, be done out of a stun, and did alot of damage made it feel like sometimes even getting a stun was worthless in the first place. (Especially low counters which duck under highs and counter lows, making it an extremely strong defensive option.)

DoA5 rectify's some of those issues with uncounterable stuns, smaller counter windows, and less counter damage.

raven777

2.jpg

the shot I just took in JP store.

1st pack is cat costumes for helena, christie, tina, lisa
2nd pack is hitomi, mila, rig, lisa
3rd pack is kasumi, leifang, hayabusa, lisa

the 4th pack is 1-3 combined

Squire

Banned
2.jpg

the shot I just took in JP store.

1st pack is cat costumes for helena, christie, tina, lisa
2nd pack is hitomi, mila, rig, lisa
3rd pack is kasumi, leifang, hayabusa, lisa

the 4th pack is 1-3 combined

Oh, wow. It's definitely going to be interesting to see how many more of these packs they release and how often. To be only two weeks past launch, there's a LOT of DLC out there added all together.

raven777

Oh, wow. It's definitely going to be interesting to see how many more of these packs they release and how often. To be only two weeks past launch, there's a LOT of DLC out there added all together.

I think their plan is DLC per 2 weeks. So next DLC will be October 30th

raven777

I must admit the pricing is a lot higher than I expected.
I wish there was at least an option for buying each separately. (3 costumes I want are in 3 separate packs...)

DR2K

Banned

Unholdable stuns, frame advanatge, guaranteed options after parries/sabakis, bt throws allow for guaranteed options, etc. . . Being able to hold out of any situation isn't possible anymore.

My guess is $3.99 per pack, $9.99 for full set.

Endo Punk

Damn I was hoping for more free DLC, especially since these costumes are not exactly new. Well I'll bite, I really like the game so I may get one of of the oostume packs. Wish Lisa and her 4 costumes were just one pack though.

its actually 4 sets per costume. Leifang has 20 different underwears.

NSFW

I... I can't actually tell the front side from the back.

Squire

Banned
So, let me get this straight: are there more costumes that we haven't seen in these pack? Or just the ones posted earlier from FSD? The panty talk has me confused, haha.

Skilletor

I'm not going to change my avatar back, but the online is much improved.

It still feels off. Still difficult to block and punish, but I'd say this is at least on par with DoA4. It could be better, but I've only played about 20 matches, so I won't say yay or nay for sure.

But it's playable and fun, and that's good enough for me. :D

Skilletor

Can't...stop...owning...people...who...spam...counter.

Oh hey, the critical stun indicator turns red when you're at the end of the threshold. I never noticed that. Pretty cool.

Why are Lisa and Mila wearing Lei Fang and Hitomi's outfits? That's so lazy.

Everything else looks pretty good, though I'm surprised that some people are already getting a second and third DLC outfit while some characters haven't gotten any yet. And they are charging for these one before everyone gets a free outfit? :/

DOA5 is Team DOA, not Team Ninja Dog. Hayashit has nothing to do with DOA5. Please don't insult the DOA5 team like that.

Also what the hell is going on in this thre--*sees bitchiness and shitting on Hayate*--Oh, you gurls. So easy to manipulate but I love it. <3

Kinda, yes. The divide came after Ayane learned about her birth and being linked to Hayate/Kasumi. But because she wasn't from the same father as Kasumi/Hayate the village basically gave her to the Hajin Mon sect.

That rift is mostly the village (and well, DOATEC's obviously) fault.

I could of sworn I saw Hayashi's name at the end of DOA5's credits as the producer or director or something.

The bonus missions are the reason I did the story. They're pretty much the best way to figure out how the system in DOA5 actually works outside of tons of practice mode monstering and playing online (which I haven't tried in a while, did the patch make it better?)

Yeah, its a nice way to learn the moves, they should have a preview of the moves like in practice mode though. I took out the ethernet cable out so haven't been able to download the patch yet. :)

i went as far as throwing matches when it was clear i would miss some bonus missions.

Haha me too! :p I skipped some though, moves just didn't work.

Squire

Banned
Why are Lisa and Mila wearing Lei Fang and Hitomi's outfits? That's so lazy.

Everything else looks pretty good, though I'm surprised that some people are already getting a second and third DLC outfit while some characters haven't gotten any yet. And they are charging for these one before everyone gets a free outfit? :/

Everyone isn't getting a free outfit, I'm pretty sure. They seem to be in money-making mode now. If we were getting free costumes for the rest of the cast, this week would've been it.

Top Bottom