• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 |OT| Put a little bounce in your sidestep!

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
So who's gonna feel burned if Tecmo announces "DOA5 Hardcore" for the Wii U, featuring all this DLC outfit content already on the disc?

I have over 80 people in my XBL friends list, and not one of them has DoA5... even the ones that are really into fighting games. One has said he might get it in a few months though.

I have 100 people on both my PSN and XBL friends lists.

I've seen 1-2 people playing the game on and off.

Even TTT2 has dropped off.

Skilletor

So who's gonna feel burned if Tecmo announces "DOA5 Hardcore" for the Wii U, featuring all this DLC outfit content already on the disc?

I never feel burned because I pay a premium price to play it earlier.

I'm done with the DoA series, though. Always so close, yet so far. THe changes made from the E3 build to final show me they actually want to be so far, though.

tsab

I was so hyped for this game, the gameplay has been supposedly improved but i still prefer the more arcade-y style of DOA:Dimensions and DOA2.

Something has changed that I can't pinpoint, gameplay wise. Old or New models don't matter to me.

I think Team Ninja is very lost without Itagaki.

Thinking it now probably that ticks me are the counters. I believe the standard counters are 4 now instead of 3?

Lyte Edge

I never feel burned because I pay a premium price to play it earlier.

I'm done with the DoA series, though. Always so close, yet so far. THe changes made from the E3 build to final show me they actually want to be so far, though.

See you for DOA6!

I was so hyped for this game, the gameplay has been supposedly improved but i still prefer the more arcade-y style of DOA:Dimensions and DOA2.

Something has changed that I can't pinpoint, gameplay wise. Old or New models don't matter to me.

Thinking it now probably that ticks me are the counters. I believe the standard counters are 4 now instead of 3?

The counter system was changed-up like that with DOA2 Ultimate and stayed the same in DOA4. They ditched it with Dimensions and went back to it with DOA5.

Skilletor

The counter system was changed-up like that with DOA2 Ultimate and stayed the same in DOA4. They ditched it with Dimensions and went back to it with DOA5.

Lots of people don't realize DoA2 was 4 point counters originally. It was an option you could toggle in controls. It had console (3 point) or arcade (4 point).

Read above.

Even if I'm not over the moon with this game, it's better than anything Itagaki has done this generation. He's not needed for DoA.

Lyte Edge

Lots of people don't realize DoA2 was 4 point counters originally. It was an option you could toggle in controls. It had console (3 point) or arcade (4 point).

Don't remember that at all, no! Did DOA3 also have that option?

Galdelico

Just to sum up, guys: for those who bought the CE and got both preorder packs, the only DLC to get this week is the 'Divas' bundle right?

Read above.

Even if I'm not over the moon with this game, it's better than anything Itagaki has done this generation. He's not needed for DoA.

DOA2 was my most played DOA and I don't remember it being 4 point at all. I'm getting old cause my memory and my skills are deteriorating

i feel the exact opposite.

while i enjoyed itagaki's doa games, i feel that doa5 plays like a
competitive
fighting game. they added new mechanics and also nerfed counters/holds (which i hated in the other games).

in this game, if you get a counter, it's just a slap on the wrist. in itagaki's games, they did way too much damage IMO.

Skilletor

Don't remember that at all, no! Did DOA3 also have that option?

DOA2 was my most played DOA and I don't remember it being 4 point at all. I'm getting old cause my memory and my skills are deteriorating

No, DoA3 was just 3 points. DoA2 had an option, but console (3 points) was default. It was the only game with an option. :)

If you didn't know what console or arcade meant, you had no reason to change it and probably wouldn't have. Most people didn't. I knew because I'd played in arcades and preferred 4 point counters. I got into arguments with people because I hate 3-point counters and didn't like fighting people who eliminated the mid punch/mid kick mixup. :p

tsab

Read above.

I don't remember the Dreamcast DOA2 version had that. I remember it had 3d/2d movement option.

never played DOA4 and I don't remember DOA3 at all

Skilletor

I don't remember the Dreamcast DOA2 version had that. I remember it had 3d/2d movement option.

never played DOA4 and I don't remember DOA3 at all

It did. :)

Did you have a reason to change the option? Think about that. :p

Default was 3 points.

Edit: Also, think about why DoA2U would be 4 points if the original was "originally" 3 points. DoA2u had simplified inputs for the counters. Before, in DoA2 DC, DoA2HC on ps2, counters were done the same way Lei Fang/Bayman, etcs, advanced counters were done. They changed it to the way they're done in DoA5.

tsab

It did. :)

Did you have a reason to change the option? Think about that. :p

Default was 3 points.

Not if wasn't my AGE COUNTER. hahahahah

i feel the exact opposite.

while i enjoyed itagaki's doa games, i feel that doa5 plays like a
competitive
fighting game.
they added new mechanics and also nerfed counters/holds (which i hated in the other games).

in this game, if you get a counter, it's just a slap on the wrist. in itagaki's games, they did way too much damage IMO.

Yeah, I understand that, the reason I played DOA is the opposite though. I am not a competitive player, DOA2 was easy and fun for local 4play. so much fun

I have 100 people on both my PSN and XBL friends lists.

I've seen 1-2 people playing the game on and off.

Even TTT2 has dropped off.

Not me, I'm happy with the CE I paid €90 for. Just wish they'd given CE buyers more costumes.

PJX

Itagaki leaving is seriously the best thing to happen to this franchise.

LOL no just no

What's better? DoA4? LOL, no.

LOL yes

At least it felt like a DOA game. DOA 5 just feel boring. I've already grown bored of it and it's just sitting on the shelf. I had over 1000 hours on DOA 4 and probably more in DOA 3. The speed of the game isn't there for me and they've changed a lot of stuff that didn't need to be changed.

The unpolished, unbalanced mess that was NG2? DoAXVB2?

Playing NG 2 was still more fun than playing this boring mess.

Yeah...I stand by my statement.

Of course you would stand by your statement, no matter how wrong it is.

Too true.

False

At least it felt like a DOA game. DOA 5 just feel boring. I've already grown bored of it and it's just sitting on the shelf. I had over 1000 hours on DOA 4 and probably more in DOA 3. The speed of the game isn't there for me and they've changed a lot of stuff that didn't need to be changed.

honestly, this how doa should have been since the beginning. i put in a lot of hours into doa4 as well and this game makes changes that were necessary in progressing the franchise. prior to this, the only mechanic going for the game was the hold system, and even then it wasnt all that great because you could get away by guessing.

doa5 plays more fluid and has a decent combo system this time around. couple in the new character models (that dont look like your stereotypical anime character) and new stages makes this my favorite doa game.

again. this is MY opinion.

NG2 was not fun to me. i got it for 10 bucks way back when bestbuy had a sale and i thought i overpaid.

NG Sigma 2 was better imo

doesnt necessarily mean that your opinion is any more right.

I'm absolutely terrible when it comes to counters.

Even guards/blocking is a 20/80 situation (as in, 80% of the time blocking doesn't work).

I suck hard at this game, lol. I still have fun with the game though.

PJX

honestly, this how doa should have been since the beginning. i put in a lot of hours into doa4 as well and this game makes changes that were necessary in progressing the franchise. prior to this, the only mechanic going for the game was the hold system, and even then it wasnt all that great because you could get away by guessing.

doa5 plays more fluid and has a decent combo system this time around. couple in the new character models (that dont look like your stereotypical anime character) and new stages makes this my favorite doa game.

NG2 was not fun to me. i got it for 10 bucks way back when bestbuy had a sale and i thought i overpaid.

NG Sigma 2 was better imo

doesnt necessarily mean that your opinion is any more right.

Thanks for stressing that it's your opinion, doesn't make it any more right.

The game is boring and soulless

So todays DLC is 3 swimwear packs, amalgamated swimwear pack and a 4 bunny packs.

Am I wrong in thinking that the "DOATEC Divas" and "Top Bunnies" include costumes from "Devils" and "Angels"?

EDIT

I was mistaken, only "Top Bunnies" contains costumes from both Devils and Angels, the other 3 packs (Devils, Angels and DOATEC Divas) all have unique costumes.

DOA4 was a garbage game competitively. You can't even argue that it was a good competitive game.

It might be fun as a casual fighter, but you couldn't take that game seriously. They might as well add tripping for more random options.

louie

DOA4 was a garbage game competitively. You can't even argue that it was a good competitive game.

It might be fun as a casual fighter, but you couldn't take that game seriously. They might as well add tripping for more random options.

Yeah but at least it felt like a DOA game and was made by Itagaki. Just my opinion LOL

Asriel

LOL no just no

LOL yes

False

There is no way DOA4 is better than DOA5. None.

benzy

So todays DLC is 3 swimwear packs, amalgamated swimwear pack and a 4 bunny packs.

Am I wrong in thinking that the "DOATEC Divas" and "Top Bunnies" include costumes from "Devils" and "Angels"?

EDIT

I was mistaken, only "Top Bunnies" contains costumes from both Devils and Angels, the other 3 packs (Devils, Angels and DOATEC Divas) all have unique costumes.

Devils, angels, and doatec are just the bikini bunny ear costumes right?

DR2K

Banned
I'm absolutely terrible when it comes to counters.

Even guards/blocking is a 20/80 situation (as in, 80% of the time blocking doesn't work).

I suck hard at this game, lol. I still have fun with the game though.

Counters are not easy to pull off in this one, they're somewhat strict if not a bit random at times.

Game is supposed to be getting a huge rebalance come next patch from what I hear.

The wording for the costumes is just weird. The top Bunnies pack has 2 costumes for Ayane, Hitomi and Kasumi?

"Dead or Alive's top ladies - Kasumi, Ayane and Hitomi - show their fun side with black and white bikinis and bunny ears. These new costumes show off the revamped character models of Dead or Alive 5, which have won high praise from critics and fans alike. The best looking fighters just got better with three bunny-eared bikinis!"
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-GB/P...-Bunnies/db6d51e6-f3fb-434f-8dc8-93ab89c2da04

Doesn't say 2 costumes anywhere? Is it the PS3 store that says it?

Devils, angels, and doatec are just the bikini bunny ear costumes right?

Yup. 9 different ones, 240MSpts each (not sure PS3 prices):

Devils (Black)
Ayane
Christie
Tina

Angels (White)
Kasumi
Hitomi
Leifang

DOATEC Divas (Black)
Helena
Lisa
Kokoro

Counters are not easy to pull off in this one, they're somewhat strict if not a bit random at times.

Game is supposed to be getting a huge rebalance come next patch from what I hear.

No they are not easy at all! It's gotten to the point that I don't even bother with them as the punishment meted out when you (inevitably) fail vastly outweighs the payoff for the odd occasion you get the timing right.

I hope this patch helps!

Asriel

LOL if you say so.

So awesome.

I mean, if you believe in hold mashing and rock-paper-scissors gameplay, than DOA is for you!

If you like at using actual strategy, the new stun game, and actual character balance, than DOA5 is for you.

Maybe DOA4 was fun in some respects, but as a fighter, it was garbage.

B-Dex

I love DOA and Tekken and fighters in general. Anyone saying DOA5 is slow makes me laugh. Try playing Tekken after DOA5. Feels like you're fighting in molasses. (or I just suck really bad at Tekken)

Skilletor

I love DOA and Tekken and fighters in general. Anyone saying DOA5 is slow makes me laugh. Try playing Tekken after DOA5. Feels like you're fighting in molasses. (or I just suck really bad at Tekken)

It's just that proper movement is hidden behind a (needless, imo) barrier of execution. It's a fast game, imo, but it takes more skill to get there than most other games.

DR2K

Banned
It's just that proper movement is hidden behind a (needless, imo) barrier of execution. It's a fast game, imo, but it takes more skill to get there than most other games.

Yeah, but if they fix the barrier then all those people spending so much time to move correctly would be pissed that they wasted thier time.

Critical burst in 2-3 moves? Fewer attacks that stun? Low hold can be struck with a high attack? No holds after counter-hit starters? Command throw escapes for non-hi-counter throws?

It's too bad Namco will permanently hamstring SoulCalibur's budget and support as long as Harada runs both teams. It's fundamentally the most well designed of all the 3D fighting games.

A.E Suggs

LOL no just no

LOL yes

False

You mean the game that doesn't really feel like an DOA game? OK. I had about the same amount of hours in DOA4 as well but it was still garbage. Also no one is agreeing with you so i'm wondering who is really wrong here.

PJX

your posts are boring and soulless

lol @ wrong opinions. Pointless discussing with somebody who believes that possible. :)

I mean, if you believe in hold mashing and rock-paper-scissors gameplay, than DOA is for you!

If you like at using actual strategy, the new stun game, and actual character balance, than DOA5 is for you.

Maybe DOA4 was fun in some respects, but as a fighter, it was garbage.

I'm a hardcore VF player. SO I enjoy strategy to my games. DOA 5 IMO hasn't really add any strategy, I still pull off the counters with ease even though the game feels slow in regards. Also they took away or changed certain moves around which made it feel awkward.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
DOA6 needs to go back to the doll look and high counter damage also more recovery for countering. Just my opinion ROFL

I honestly don't care either way.

As for counters: Ya'll should've played in the player lobby on PS3 that I was playing in earlier today. Dude was countering my wake-up, my attacks, EVERYTHING I was throwing at him with pretty damn good precision. I can't hate for someone making it through that strict timing. But I agree: Not parry/countering >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> risking a parry/counter hit. Because you'll eat more damage trying to counter than simply trying to block.

I hope the patch balances health values or attack values because if they want DOA to be taken seriously it needs to stop having 80% health done in the first 20 second of a 99 second rounds.

(And I pulled a counter off said dude waking up after I laid him flat one-time! Felt like a boss from that.)

MCD

DOA4 had better stages, better interactions in stages, much, much better music, more costumes out of the box (but I admit, I like DLC costumes lol) and it was full on WHIMY JAPANESE SOUL AND FUN.

DOA5 may look better and play better but fuck if I care, I am a casual scrub who is only in this thing for the lols.

NG3 is a complete and utter garbage. No redeeming that one.

Top Bottom