• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 |OT| Put a little bounce in your sidestep!

Skilletor

DOA4 had better stages, better interactions in stages, much, much better music, more costumes out of the box (but I admit, I like DLC costumes lol) and it was full on WHIMY JAPANESE SOUL AND FUN.

DOA5 may look better and play better but fuck if I care, I am a casual scrub who is only in this thing for the lols.

NG3 is a complete and utter garbage. No redeeming that one.

It may play better but...

I stopped listening.

Critical burst in 2-3 moves? Fewer attacks that stun? Low hold can be struck with a high attack? No holds after counter-hit starters? Command throw escapes for non-hi-counter throws?

It's too bad Namco will permanently hamstring SoulCalibur's budget and support as long as Harada runs both teams. It's fundamentally the most well designed of all the 3D fighting games.

TESTIFY! PREACH!

Persona86

Banned
Come on guys, I've just come from the Hitman thread and all I see is them comparing hitman games, and now I come to this thread and see similar crap. :(

MCD

Hey

I am not the fightan expert here. I guess I should have said "may or may not play better" instead because fuck if I know anything about fighting games.

DOA4 had better stages, better interactions in stages, much, much better music, more costumes out of the box (but I admit, I like DLC costumes lol) and it was full on WHIMY JAPANESE SOUL AND FUN.

DOA5 may look better and play better but fuck if I care, I am a casual scrub who is only in this thing for the lols.

NG3 is a complete and utter garbage. No redeeming that one.

not this again.

I'm still trying to figure out why the VF characters have such crappy quality voice recording. Every word or sound is like it's been taped off of an old VHS.

Surely Sega could have provided clearer audio samples?

I honestly don't care either way.

As for counters: Ya'll should've played in the player lobby on PS3 that I was playing in earlier today. Dude was countering my wake-up, my attacks, EVERYTHING I was throwing at him with pretty damn good precision. I can't hate for someone making it through that strict timing. But I agree: Not parry/countering >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> risking a parry/counter hit. Because you'll eat more damage trying to counter than simply trying to block.

I hope the patch balances health values or attack values because if they want DOA to be taken seriously it needs to stop having 80% health done in the first 20 second of a 99 second rounds.

(And I pulled a counter off said dude waking up after I laid him flat one-time! Felt like a boss from that.)

gonna guess the game damage is balanced for 99 in tag and 60 in single...

Skilletor

more than one critical burst attack per character! backturned critical burst attacks for Lisa/Ayane/whoever else could do with one...

I FEEL THE SPIRIT OF GOD ALMIGHTY!

IT FEEELS SOOOO GOOOOOOD!
I'm still trying to figure out why the VF characters have such crappy quality voice recording. Every word or sound is like it's been taped off of an old VHS.

Surely Sega could have provided clearer audio samples?

It's precisely because they're the samples that sega provided that they're such low quality. They're exactly the same ones in VF5 FS.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Now this would be a fantastic premise. Itagaki <3.

I don't want to derail the thread, but Inorigo's avatar reminds me how I wish for a Itagaki-directed HOTD game.

derailing more I think it would probably end up as a Musou eventually if it keeps getting popular.

Squire

Banned
Now this would be a fantastic premise. Itagaki <3.

I don't want to derail the thread, but Inorigo's avatar reminds me how I wish for a Itagaki-directed HOTD game.

Actually I think Grasshopper would be a good fit after Lollipop Chainsaw. But I see why you're saying Itagaki, heh heh /creeper

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Actually I think Grasshopper would be a good fit after Lollipop Chainsaw. But I see why you're saying Itagaki, heh heh /creeper

Grasshopper has potential they got some good things going on with Lollipop Chainsaw that would work nicely with HOTD. Just add more moves and better dodge and I think its set.

P90

Grasshopper has potential they got some good things going on with Lollipop Chainsaw that would work nicely with HOTD. Just add more moves and better dodge and I think its set.

As long as Grasshopper keeps to the spirit HOTD. I thought Lollipop Chainsaw's "humor" was not funny in the slightest. That said, I would still prefer Itagaki.

Doll look is fugly. Good riddance.

I like the way they look now. Better for my fapping sessions.

The pre-DoA5/doll look was functional and served its purpose. But yeah, the girls look much better now. TN did a great job on the faces. Sometimes the face-sweat seems a bit excessive to me though :\
I was suprized (and a bit disappointed) all the Diva outfits were black.
Helena and Kokoro should have white as they are "good girls". Black suits characters like Tina, Ayane and Christie. Lisa should have white just because it looks MUCH better against her darker skin tone. She wore the Fortune swimsuit in DoAX2 better than anyone else because of this IMO.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Got the compete bikini pack. I didn't really want the third pack since I rarely play Lisa or Christie, but for 3 bucks what the hell.

Got the compete bikini pack. I didn't really want the third pack since I rarely play Lisa or Christie, but for 3 bucks what the hell.

Im just getting the pack with Mila and Hitomi. Lisas gold swimsuit looks good but pales in comparison to her rare sling bikini and catsuit IMO.

Think I'm gonna wait a while. I'm still unlocking outfits and am about 75 titles away from unlocking Alpha.

Also means I won't be spending money on points that should be going towards the last of the Christmas presents, lol.

Once I'm done though I'll be snagging all the complete sets available... it's a guaranteed way to get the price to drop the following week (everything I get goes down in price just after I buy them... dammit!!!).

Think I'm gonna wait a while. I'm still unlocking outfits and am about 75 titles away from unlocking Alpha.

Also means I won't be spending money on points that should be going towards the last of the Christmas presents, lol.

Once I'm done though I'll be snagging all the complete sets available... it's a guaranteed way to get the price to drop the following week (everything I get goes down in price just after I buy them... dammit!!!).

Are you keen to unlock Alpha to help with Survival mode or you just want to use her for general play?

Yeah it's me. It was something in Rock Band, but I forget which song now. Couple of years ago now and my memory ain't what it used to be.

It was more to do with the fact that it said "100% hard". It appealed to my puerile sense of humour :D

DR2K

Banned
I just downloaded a save and said fuck it in regards to unlocking Lisa's final costume.

This is the best DOA game TN has created, bought all the DLC so far. Best fighting game this gen if TN can improve the netcode and come through with their rebalance.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So who's gonna feel burned if Tecmo announces "DOA5 Hardcore" for the Wii U, featuring all this DLC outfit content already on the disc?

I won't feel too burned about the port. But the outfits being free there would kinda piss me off after they basically wanted money on the original release.

gonna guess the game damage is balanced for 99 in tag and 60 in single...

Even if that's a case, you still have air launches into 50-80% damage in those rounds in solo mode. Just look at Gen Fu high-level play from that stream linked here's archieves. Gen-Fu's player just had to launch the other player and then mash a combo of damage out while the other player couldn't do shit. Even at 60 seconds, that would be 10-20 seconds into a round again.

So at 99 that's 80-70seconds left. At 60 that's 50-40 seconds left. Not a huge difference there.

The damage rate is fine... for casual play/offline against bots if you want it. But for "pro" or even online play it isn't. All the online lobbies I see are "Largest" health bars with "3" round wins because matches are so short with the current damage rate.

TheSeks

Wait I thought you couldn't share saves with this?

There's... methods of doing it. The saves aren't locked like DOA4 (THANK GOD) but they are save-id locked, IIRC. So you have to fuck with the save-id's to write it as yours if you want the achievements. If you don't care, you can use the other person/save-id's gamesave no problem.

Do you feel bad for cheating yourself or good for cheating TN out of their chance to troll you in Survival mode? ;)

It can't be both? Honestly, I'm close to going that route to unlock Alpha 152 (since these titles are taking FOREVER offline and I can't unlock the critical-burst->power-blow and a few of the story ones try as I might) and Lisa's outfit (because seriously fuck going against mind-reading AI for 100 rounds) and being done with it. Team Ninja can troll, but I'll just troll them back.

Loona

Critical burst in 2-3 moves? Fewer attacks that stun? Low hold can be struck with a high attack? No holds after counter-hit starters? Command throw escapes for non-hi-counter throws?

Most of these sound like they'd fit with the stated intent of not throwing away any existing player training, nice.

It's too bad Namco will permanently hamstring SoulCalibur's budget and support as long as Harada runs both teams. It's fundamentally the most well designed of all the 3D fighting games.

Maybe someday they'll just release a SC dream match game based on SC2 so I can use Ivy's Serpent's Embrace stance again, wouldn't be a terrible idea since the renewed cast wasn't that popular cmopared to the classics, even if the devs wanted a fresh start.

I though Harada didn't have that much authority over SC though - if that's indeed the case, it does make me a little more hopeful for the idea of a Soul Calibur crossover with Samurai Shodown, since that came up in a tweet from Harada not that long ago.

Skilletor

Even if that's a case, you still have air launches into 50-80% damage in those rounds in solo mode. Just look at Gen Fu high-level play from that stream linked here's archieves. Gen-Fu's player just had to launch the other player and then mash a combo of damage out while the other player couldn't do shit. Even at 60 seconds, that would be 10-20 seconds into a round again.

So at 99 that's 80-70seconds left. At 60 that's 50-40 seconds left. Not a huge difference there.

The damage rate is fine... for casual play/offline against bots if you want it. But for "pro" or even online play it isn't. All the online lobbies I see are "Largest" health bars with "3" round wins because matches are so short with the current damage rate.

You pare stuff down so much. lol. ALL GEN FU HAS TO DO IS LAUNCH YOU. Yeah, all that slow ass character with almost nothing but mid punches has to do is get in, make me block, and launch me. Easier said than done.

The damage on normal is perfect.

Most of these sound like they'd fit with the stated intent of not throwing away any existing player training, nice.

Maybe someday they'll just release a SC dream match game based on SC2 so I can use Ivy's Serpent's Embrace stance again, wouldn't be a terrible idea since the renewed cast wasn't that popular cmopared to the classics, even if the devs wanted a fresh start.

I though Harada didn't have that much authority over SC though - if that's indeed the case, it does make me a little more hopeful for the idea of a Soul Calibur crossover with Samurai Shodown, since that came up in a tweet from Harada not that long ago.

Hanzo in SC?

You're all dead.

TheSeks

The damage on normal is perfect.

No it isn't. Counter and get 20-40% health taken off. Learn a characters bread and butter and hit-stun/launch an opponent and land 80% damage easy. How are you not seeing this? There's no reset games. This has always been an issue with the DOA series and I've always been willing to cut it slack as it's meant to be a "casual" fighter, but if they're trying to be serious about the game and get pro players to look at it the damage rate HAS to change because it's incredibly easy to get 40-80% damage from a hit-stun.

Mis-time your parry/counter? You're going to get 40-80% damage, guaranteed.

Skilletor

No it isn't. Counter and get 20-40% health taken off. Learn a characters bread and butter and hit-stun/launch an opponent and land 80% damage easy. How are you not seeing this? There's no reset games. This has always been an issue with the DOA series and I've always been willing to cut it slack as it's meant to be a "casual" fighter, but if they're trying to be serious about the game and get pro players to look at it the damage rate HAS to change because it's incredibly easy to get 40-80% damage from a hit-stun.

Mis-time your parry/counter? You're going to get 40-80% damage, guaranteed.

Guess I have no issue with this. Counter? 20-40%? Maybe with background damage or advanced holds. Which isn't much of the cast.

80% damage easy? Again, with environmental damage. I don't see that happening very much. 40% is easy. Make 2-3 (big) mistakes you lose the round. Not much different from most other 3D fighters.

Mistime your parry/counter? You're complaining that you're punished for a mistake.

Maybe your opinion is eschewed because online is ass and it's easy to mistime stuff.

The issue with the DoA series has always, always, always been the amount of damage counters have done. Now they do next to no damage and strikes are actually rewarding.

I don't see your point of view because I can tell from reading your various posts that we look at fighters differently.

If Nightmare hits me once with meter, I lose. If I get hit by two EWGFs in Tekken, I lose. VF? Get thrown twice by Wolf, I lose. Random examples off the top of my head.

The damage is fine. Stop putting yourself in the position to lose that much life in the first place.

Speaking of that TN is giving away DLC codes.

http://putthatback.org/

According to your link, you Americans only pay S4.99 for each costume pack. I bought 1200MSP today (at a store) for $24 and the pack is 400MSP ($8 AUD) over here in Aus.
What a rip! I forgot how expensive MSP can be here. It seems to be slightly cheaper to buy them direct from XBL, though that would involve tying a credit card to my account, which I would never do again.

DR2K

Banned
I played against you moments ago. :p

You have a good Helena, the match ended quickly, I wanted to play against you more but search sent me against an S player. (at least I won against him :p)

Sorry about the lag.

Had to upload this, funny as hell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vohIvLCOyo4

According to your link, you Americans only pay S4.99 for each costume pack. I bought 1200MSP today (at a store) for $24 and the pack is 400MSP ($8 AUD) over here in Aus.
What a rip! I forgot how expensive MSP can be here. It seems to be slightly cheaper to buy them direct from XBL, though that would involve tying a credit card to my account, which I would never do again.

Holy shit that's expensive. Just got the bikini pack for free from the promotion. Then I bought the bunny costumes with my left over MSP.

I just downloaded a save and said fuck it in regards to unlocking Lisa's final costume.

This is the best DOA game TN has created, bought all the DLC so far. Best fighting game this gen if TN can improve the netcode and come through with their rebalance.

On which console are you playing?

That was from me, my sis was using YouTube. -.-"

I have all the costumes except Divas and Kitties pack, I will get kitties pack later. :/

Kitty pack is probably the best overall pac out IMO.

ALBUMMK24K1941006028144.jpg

I won't feel too burned about the port. But the outfits being free there would kinda piss me off after they basically wanted money on the original release.

there are lots of scenarios in many fighting games where a match can be over in mere seconds. yet timeouts still happen.

Top Bottom