• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 |OT| Put a little bounce in your sidestep!

OK. I finally got the Mila swimsuit and got some pics for people who are interested. She looks goooood.

ALBUMML14I0926006028144.jpg
ALBUMML14H0828006028131.jpg

ALBUMML14I1352006028240.jpg
ALBUMML14I2241006028135.jpg

ALBUMML14H4417006028088.jpg
ALBUMML14H1028006028086.jpg

ALBUMML14H5104006028094.jpg
ALBUMML14H5658006028070.jpg

ALBUMML14H4901006028144.jpg
ALBUMML14I1509006028144.jpg

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm so angry those aren't the pre-order items and we got crap bunny outfits with crap fuzzy textures instead.

I'm not really angry, just annoyed

Also the DOA5 in Dallas finals show what I'm saying about the high damage rate. 60 seconds rounds, 39 seconds first round. Ryu basically grabs two-three times and Helena loses with no ability to reset the round and run to a time-out or 10 second KO.

Round 2 (6:30) - Helena misses counter (6:38? Quality is crap on Youtube at the moment so can't be sure) or gets Critical Burst (6:41) combo'ed. Hayabusa launch->Izuna Drop from 90% to 50%. That's a 40% guaranteed combo.

Yes, he had to critical burst her (or have her miss her counter attempt) into that combo, but that's what I'm talking about: The damage rate needs to be lowered by at least 5-10% to where rounds aren't decided with one or two major breaks like that.

It's not enough to say "well, you need to critical/get them to miss reversing you." Given you can hit-stun pretty well and/or have them miss-counter to get a launcher you can get big damage easy.

Round 3 - Okay, that wasn't too bad, but yeah those rounds seem rare for the damage rate to be okay. But not all rounds at lower levels are going to be like that.

(And Set 4 shows that Hayabusa's launch->Izuna Drop does at least 20% on finishing so not devastating but still)

Of course, I'm not sure what health level they're playing on (Large? Largest?) but that also factors in. Playing on Normal health rounds are over too quick. It doesn't need to change into a Street vs Juggle vanilla time-over fest, but they need to change the damage rate into a variable damage rate to where the entire rounds aren't over in 10-20 seconds of longer round sets and health bars given you make 1 or 2 mistakes. It should be 3-4 mistakes allowed in low-level play to where both sides have a chance of winning instead of "shit, I missed my counter" *wait 5 seconds while stunned/possible launched into air where you can't do shit about it*

I never want to see the doll look again. Seriously. It was fine back in the day, but compared more detailed models of practically any 3D fighter out there new and old, the look is so antiquated and they look much better now. Also, I do not see how DOA4 is better than DOA5. Now visually DOA4 is more vibrant, colorful and has better textures in the backgrounds, but I think DOA5 has a slightly more grittier look, but it still looks good. Music in DOA4 is definitely better even though I like some tunes in DOA5 as well and it obviously goes for an entirely different style. Gameplay wise, I definitely prefer DOA5 though even though DOA4 still play well and for a fighting game, that goes a long way with me.

I'm so angry those aren't the pre-order items and we got crap bunny outfits with crap fuzzy textures instead.

Also the DOA5 in Dallas finals show what I'm saying about the high damage rate. 60 seconds rounds, 39 seconds first round. Ryu basically grabs two-three times and Helena loses with no ability to reset the round and run to a time-out or 10 second KO.

Round 2 (6:30) - Helena misses counter (6:38? Quality is crap on Youtube at the moment so can't be sure) or gets Critical Burst (6:41) combo'ed. Hayabusa launch->Izuna Drop from 90% to 50%. That's a 40% guaranteed combo.

Yes, he had to critical burst her (or have her miss her counter attempt) into that combo, but that's what I'm talking about: The damage rate needs to be lowered by at least 5-10% to where rounds aren't decided with one or two major breaks like that.

It's not enough to say "well, you need to critical/get them to miss reversing you." Given you can hit-stun pretty well and/or have them miss-counter to get a launcher you can get big damage easy.

Round 3 - Okay, that wasn't too bad, but yeah those rounds seem rare for the damage rate to be okay. But not all rounds at lower levels are going to be like that.

(And Set 4 shows that Hayabusa's launch->Izuna Drop does at least 20% on finishing so not devastating but still)

Of course, I'm not sure what health level they're playing on (Large? Largest?) but that also factors in. Playing on Normal health rounds are over too quick. It doesn't need to change into a Street vs Juggle vanilla time-over fest, but they need to change the damage rate into a variable damage rate to where the entire rounds aren't over in 10-20 seconds of longer round sets and health bars given you make 1 or 2 mistakes. It should be 3-4 mistakes allowed in low-level play to where both sides have a chance of winning instead of "shit, I missed my counter" *wait 5 seconds while stunned/possible launched into air where you can't do shit about it*
so you're saying that people are hitting 40% critical burst combos on the regular in low level play?

So, what are the chances of ever seeing DLC characters or stages?

Pretty much zero percent, IMO. I think we'll be lucky to see more outfit DLC.
I would love to see DoA4 seaside market stage return as it looks so nice is is the opposite of some of the gloomy, ugly DoA5 backgrounds.

I actually really liked DoAX2 for the diversity. They dropped the "Volleyball" part of the title because VB just became one of several activities (Jetski races FTW!).

I've not played it in ages though. I think I managed to get maybe 4 achievements.

Skilletor

I know all of this. Just sounds like you're complaining that you can't make more mistakes. Nevermind the fact that the damage is NOT guaranteed. That the stunned player has every opportunity to get out of each strike even up to the critical burst. That each strike the attacking person makes is a risk. Nevermind all that. Now you're saying the attacker shouldn't be rewarded for each of the risks he takes that is inherent in the DoA system.

Also, Hayabusa's Izuna drop is an advanced hold.

I've said all I want to. You're obviously coming at this from a different perspective than me. This damage is nothing new to 3D fighters.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag

I'm not really angry, just annoyed[/spoiler
The pre-order outfits are also stupid bikinis with weird fuzzy textures. They look awful.

Finally got all the costumes unlocked (barring the 3 legendary swimsuits).

Now for the uphill slog to get them and unlock Alpha (234 titles obtained so far).

I need to go to bed!

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
That's why I've been with this series since 2. The stun game sucks. I hate critical bursts.

I'll step in and agree with him. I had way more fun with 4 than with 5.

Then go play the Stun Game with DOA4 which is more crazier there.

Skilletor

That's why I've been with this series since 2. The stun game sucks. I hate critical bursts.

I'll step in and agree with him. I had way more fun with 4 than with 5.

Critical burst has nothing to do with the stun game. By the time you're able to do a critical burst, you've already been in stun for 3-4 hits. If you like DoA2, it's really no different. Critical burst nets me a guaranteed launcher, but if you're guessing wrong all the time anyway, I'd get the same thing in any previous version of DoA.

And it's doubly odd if you say you like DoA4 more, since you're actually able to do damage in this game without playing the stun game (with certain characters, with other characters, the game is pretty much the same as it's always been). DoA4 had more situations which caused you to be stunned. More moves on normal hit that put you in stun.

Confusing and conflicting opinion here. It sounds like you're not sure what your problem is with DoA5.

If you hate the stun game, you should like critical bursts, but you should want to be able to do them at a lower stun threshold (a system that was already in DoA4).

KSai

You have less chances to counter and getting hit by a burst is annoying.

Take Zack for example. A lot of his fast kicks were really easy to counter after the first hit and you knew you could get that damage. Now whenever I use him online I have opponents that don't even try to counter.

Skilletor

You have less chances to counter and getting hit by a burst is annoying.

Take Zack for example. A lot of his fast kicks were really easy to counter after the first hit and you knew you could get that damage. Now whenever I use him online I have opponents that don't even try to counter.

None of his kicks have ever been guaranteed on counterhit. It's no different in DoA5. You can hold them on counterhit immediately after the first one has touched you. :)

This situation is no different than it has been in any previous DoA.

If you're getting hit by a critical burst, aside from a few characters, it means that you have had several opportunities to counter. You're complaining that you don't get more guesses. Which, I suppose, is a valid complaint. It's just an odd one to me.

KSai

It's the sweet taste of holds, once you pop you just can't stop.

When I first played DOA2, Kasumi's Hi Kick counter was my favorite. She just hops up over a guy's leg and kicks him in the face. You just can't get that satisfaction from other fighting games.

Since then Kasumi's moveset has gotten way too goofy. I don't even play her anymore, so ironically the magic that had me captivated from the start is gone.

Skilletor

It's the sweet taste of holds, once you pop you just can't stop.

When I first played DOA2, Kasumi's Hi Kick counter was my favorite. She just hops up over a guy's leg and kicks him in the face. You just can't get that satisfaction from other fighting games.

Since then Kasumi's moveset has gotten way too goofy. I don't even play her anymore, so ironically the magic that had me captivated from the start is gone.

She's one of the characters who has changed the least since DoA2.

But anyway, what you mean to say is that you love the stun game, since that is what affords you more opportunities to make mistakes and counter.

I need to learn me some blocking, STAT.

Seems that I get countered or blocked any time the computer damn well pleases, but one hit and that's it... poof goes (on average) half of my life bar, and there's nothing I can do about it except watch my character bounce around stuck to the computers toe or fist.

Shit's unreasonable!

I need to learn me some blocking, STAT.

Seems that I get countered or blocked any time the computer damn well pleases, but one hit and that's it... poof goes (on average) half of my life bar, and there's nothing I can do about it except watch my character bounce around stuck to the computers toe or fist.

Shit's unreasonable!

the CPU reads inputs. you can't use that as a judge of ... anything.

Top Bottom